41 replies to this topic

#21 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 04 February 2017 - 07:21 PM

Been leaning on the ballistic arm a lot, mostly LBX and AC5. I played 20 games with a STD 280, but the trade off seemed to be not worth the weight - I didn't do much damage, and mostly died from being legged after losing arms. Feeling the XL300 is about ideal, and I'm reluctant to run around with the missile pod 'ears' on the side torsos, they just make such an appealing target and they like to peek up when I'm being sneaky.

I prefer the layout of the Shadowhawk (ballistic shoulder, laser hands - too much time in Hunchback) but the shape of the 'Whacker is much better for rolling damage from all those darn large lasers...

Edited by stealthraccoon, 04 February 2017 - 07:25 PM.

#22 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 05 February 2017 - 09:13 AM

It has a lot of bonus armor. So much that its front armor profile is about equal to my Quickdraw or Rifleman. As we all know though, the Quickdraw isn't known for being the most durable mech. MAYBE, just maybe, the bushwhacker has too much bonus armor, I could see it getting reduced in upcoming patches. I'm not sure if this will kill it or just make it tier 1.5 or tier 2. Even now it's not a tier 0 medium mech, it's strong for sure but I don't think it's the best medium in the game currently (that title still probably belongs to the Blackjack or the HunchbackIIC.)

It's a great brawler but I haven't really given it a go in fire support roles. I know people have been messing around with 2x UAC5s and 2xAC10s. I wanna try double LBX10s on it :P

#23 LoneWanzerPilot

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:54 AM

It is a bit troublesome. A bit too beefy when fighting it, and it has that LRM to chase a retreating mech. I swear it also runs too fast.

#24 Hunter Tseng

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 100 posts
  • LocationIn the pines where the gauss rifle always shines... And doesn't explode :P

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:10 AM

Never thought the bushwacker to be a real problem.
Yes they seem to be stronger than their other IS counterpart of the same weight class but not on a level that is shouting "OMG IT'S OP MUST NERF NOW!!!!"

#25 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 09:52 AM

The 4 stages of a new mech in MWO;

The Art: "It looks terrible, it's going to suck!"

Blueprints: "The hard points are terrible, it's going to suck!"

Quirks: "The quirks are terrible, it's going to suck!"

Release: "OMG, it doesn't suck! OP, NERF, NERF!"

Can't wait to see how dumb people get over the Nova.

Edited by Steel Raven, 12 February 2017 - 09:52 AM.

#26 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 02:43 PM

It has high armor values maxed out compared to many IS mediums (as far as I remember at least), putting it on par with fragile heavies and some extra survivability in turn... and it needs it. Mediocre at best hardpoints (lots of decent ones potentially, and not a humanoid knuckle dragger at least, but still...), bad hitboxes that you really need to get used to, to spread damage (and often you won't be at all if flanked) with the twisting necessary that rarely helps as much as some other chassis.

IMHO it comes down to the armor values and overall structure it has, even the arms can be surprisingly high ratings; that said it -needs- it. I wouldn't be surprised if it has the mystery Crab/Marauder super tankiness until c-bill release going for it too Posted Image (kidding, kidding). If anything it could use a less flat side profile so you can wiggle-and-spread damage more readily (to somewhere other than the arms so readily) and require less to keep on trucking if using XL, but so be it.

OP though? I'm more worried about running into a Wolverine, Griffin, Laser Enforcer, Cicada or Blackjack by comparison for IS mediums, or a competent Centurion. I think this comes down more to "it's tough to kill, and it kills me. OP" syndrome vs low damage output mechs expecting it to fold like a fragile medium,on a really "meh" level mech than anything else.

It's medium that wants to be a heavy, whereas the Cicada is a medium that wants to be a light. If it wasn't so tanky with those current hit boxes... ow. I think it'd really drop down to "why bother beyond nostaglia" instead of just "Meh with some interesting loadouts."

#27 Shadey99

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,241 posts

Posted 15 February 2017 - 07:42 AM

Not fearing the Buchwhacker can be a bad idea. Because in the right hands it will eat you. Sadly my ballistics builds just can't do what my other ones can, like this:
Posted Image
Posted Image

While I did go down... I think taking out an enemy lance on my own and damaging another is an ok compensation for losing a mech.

#28 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:15 PM

I fought one of the missile equipped mechs with a max armor brawl hunchback. even after I sniped his right arm he kept coming. it seemed a bit how much damage he could put out and how much armor the mech had...he even shut down from heat while I put 3 Mpulses on his other arm (since I was a bit hot too) point blank and he still kept it. it felt kinda crazy that it just rounded to corner and STOMPED a mech that is designed to brawl and is supposedly in the same weight class (but has 5 extra tons of goodies). it needs to be toned down, mostly IMO because guns are too spread out in it

#29 chucklesMuch

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,424 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 01 March 2017 - 09:57 PM

@ OP... Hey if its working for you, great have fun!

Don't think that too many people are finding it OP, its not my priority target list....

#30 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 02 March 2017 - 03:00 AM

View PostGimpy117, on 01 March 2017 - 04:15 PM, said:

I fought one of the missile equipped mechs with a max armor brawl hunchback. even after I sniped his right arm he kept coming. it seemed a bit how much damage he could put out and how much armor the mech had...he even shut down from heat while I put 3 Mpulses on his other arm (since I was a bit hot too) point blank and he still kept it. it felt kinda crazy that it just rounded to corner and STOMPED a mech that is designed to brawl and is supposedly in the same weight class (but has 5 extra tons of goodies). it needs to be toned down, mostly IMO because guns are too spread out in it

If you mean you fought the 6 missile hardpoint BSW-P1, that is probably the best brawling Bushwacker so you were brawling against an extremely capable brawler.

Its right arm likely didn't have any armour on it so knocking it off isn't an indication of how damaged or easy to damage the rest of the mech is, and with regards to it soaking up 3 MPLs without losing its left arm your 50 ton hunchback wouldn't lose its arm from an 18 point alpha either. It seems to me you saw the right arm pop off quickly so thought you could do the same with the left arm.

The 6 SRM2/4/6 Bushwacker is a brawling monster with up to a 50+ point alpha inside 250m, but it quickly turns into a tame pussycat outside of 300m.

#31 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 368 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

View PostRuccus, on 02 March 2017 - 03:00 AM, said:

If you mean you fought the 6 missile hardpoint BSW-P1, that is probably the best brawling Bushwacker so you were brawling against an extremely capable brawler.

Its right arm likely didn't have any armour on it so knocking it off isn't an indication of how damaged or easy to damage the rest of the mech is, and with regards to it soaking up 3 MPLs without losing its left arm your 50 ton hunchback wouldn't lose its arm from an 18 point alpha either. It seems to me you saw the right arm pop off quickly so thought you could do the same with the left arm.

The 6 SRM2/4/6 Bushwacker is a brawling monster with up to a 50+ point alpha inside 250m, but it quickly turns into a tame pussycat outside of 300m.

wow, thats really pushing it for a "medium" mech

#32 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 02 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 02 March 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

wow, thats really pushing it for a "medium" mech

The stock Nova Prime (12 ERMLs) has an 84 point alpha (though to be fair it's really 42 points, wait half a second, then another 42 points), and its SPL build has a 72 point (or 36+36) alpha. The 12SPL and 12 ERSL Nova are also brawling monsters with effectively higher damage output than the Bushwacker, and unlike the Bushwacker all of their damage is pinpoint damage.

There are a few mech builds that you have to really be aware of and play to their weaknesses or you can find yourself in a world of hurt. The SRM Bushwacker is one of them, as is the 12 SPL/ERSL Nova. You can't do much about the 12 ERML Nova because it has range but that thing overheats really quickly - you see it fire in anger you just hope you're not the target then rush him before he can turn his lasers towards you.

For the SRM Bushwacker and the 12 small laser Novas, you just need to kill them or severely hurt them before they get close. It's when you ignore them and let them get close that they become the alligator and you become the zebra drinking from the water's edge.

#33 NRP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:34 PM

Just shoot the legs from a safe distance then carry on with your business.

#34 Mole

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:13 PM

The Bushwhacker can pull of some amazing things that other Mediums couldn't dream of but it is definitely not OP. A couple days ago I charged through the tunnel as the tip of the spear on Crimson Straight. Enemy Dire Wolf was in the tunnel. I ran right at him, override engaged, all buttons on my mouse depressed, unleasing a torrent of SRM4 volleys, AC/10 shells, machine gun fire, and burns from mediun lasers. The Dire Wolf backpedaled and kept shooting but my Bushwhacker just seemed to shrug off the 100 tons of raw dakka streaming at it and punch out the Dire Wolf's CT just in time for me to step over his smoldering corpse. The Bushwhacker often has moments like this were it does incredible things like the story I just told. Problem is, these amazing feats that it is capable of are not really consistent. The Bushwhacker is one of those 'mechs where either the stars align and I eat half the enemy team for breakfast or I get one-shot at the begining of the match with less than 100 damage. There is rarely any in-between here.

Edited by Mole, 03 March 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#35 Bluttrunken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 830 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:33 PM

If a 50 point alpha on the bushwacker is OP, my Kintaro is OP as well. Better Quirks, too.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...352956f054414c1

Edited by Bluttrunken, 03 March 2017 - 03:34 PM.

#36 Black Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lanner
  • The Lanner
  • 200 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM

Posted 05 March 2017 - 03:21 AM

Some 'Mechs are more Meta than others. Some Builds are more Try Hard. Some players make more of a team effort. Finally, Some 'Mechwarriors are better than others.

In the end, my Mid-range Scorch (Shotgun 10s, SRM 6s, ERLLs), isn't as Meta as the Double 20s/ SRM4s Scorch, But I love it, and I can do a lot of damage, eat peoples' faces, and be a team player. My Double Gauss Night Gyr is a bit tryhard, and because I am doing more pinpoint, I do overall less damage, BUT I get more kills than in my MAD IICs.

IF it is OP, then that is good, because us Clanners have the Assault weight class on lockdown. Also there will be what I and other Military Vets would call a " Target Rich Environment". I am just drooling for the time when I finally get my IGN namesake and burn opponets down with Heavy Lasers.

Edited by Black Lanner, 05 March 2017 - 03:35 AM.

#37 Yumoshiri

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 190 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 08:10 AM

i actually think mist lynx is op.

i think in the instance of the BW, it's the pilot that can make it good. i don't own any, but i've seen them hurt me in scouting. i would say that together with griffins, they are the sturdiest.

#38 Aggravated Assault Mech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 825 posts
  • Locationlocation location

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:17 PM

Bushwacker is just a good chassis. It feels pretty strong overall as it can roll damage easily.

It has a lot of hardpoints compared to other 55t mechs, and you can go several directions with them- it's also fairly stable across variants unlike the Enforcer or Dragon that really only have only one good variant- which perhaps gives us a better perception of the chassis.

The only variant that edges on being OP is the P1. The rest don't quite have the quirks to be OP.

#39 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 11 May 2017 - 08:56 PM

It does have (according to one of my guys that just bought one) just under the amount of armor that our 65-ton Ebon Jaguar has; very tanky.

#40 Reza Malin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 617 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 May 2017 - 09:37 PM

View PostOldbob10025, on 30 January 2017 - 11:03 AM, said:

I guess your right steel... Posted Image As far as speed I run it at 107

107? Pfft.

360 XL or go home! Posted Image

The High Roller, 4 x MPL, 1 x SRM6A, and 3 x MG with a 360 XL, is an absolute beast when you have space to maneouvre.

The mech is at that sweet spot of being just fast enough to circle around heavies/assaults, yet armed and armoured enough to overmatch most mediums and lights.

Its definitely not medicore, but its not OP. No mech is OP since the KDK3 got nerfed.

Also, the new tech will be interesting with some of these newer mechs like the bushwhacker and roughneck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users