The Potato Epidemic!

67 replies to this topic

#21 Trollfeed

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:48 PM

I have noticed an upsurge of incidents where few guys prevent half of your team from shooting. Luckily night gyr came out for c-bills so I have perfect potato farmer that can jump and shoot no matter how much fire lane blocking there's around.

It appears there's some confusion with terminology here. With multiplayer games in general words that are used are n00b and newbie. Those should be self explanatory, here we have newbies and potatoes.

#22 Mister Glitchdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:52 PM

View PostDakota1000, on 30 January 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

With it being X2 you're only dealing AC2 tier damage at that range and wasting potential damage with your ammo based build.

Really? I know there's damage fall off, but if I'm doing damage out to 1320, I figured a pair of G's would at least be giving me 10 PPD per volley.

#23 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:58 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 30 January 2017 - 05:53 PM, said:

Please for the love gawd PGI we need a vaccine for this Potato Blight!
They are overrunning us!
Symptoms appear to be:
1. Deafness.
2. Inability to form a rational thought process.
3. Suicidal tendencies.
4. Inability to press the "R" key.
5. Cold clammy greasy Cheetos covered fingers causing friendly fire incidents.
6. Zombie like mannerisms.

Please if you are suffering from any of these symptoms seek medical and in game help immediately.
Posted Image

The presence of and level of potatoness these days is peaking.

Some additional sympthons of potatoness:
7. Complete lack of situational awarenss
8. Inability to have any form of communication (audioable and textual)

Example:
After a sneak around / flank in a locust on therma i stumbled upon 3/4 of the enemy light lance, they were on the flank of our maingroup "spotting" for their lrm assault buddies. All "heros"; a raven huggin, a locust pirates bane and adder cinder. The raven backed out but didnt notice their stalker, i could just follow him in his footateps and repeatably alpha his back, when he was killed i moved back and found the locust and adder both on the same location. Then i sneaked up to the locust and parked right behind him, hit his back, he turned and fired once then i killed him as well. The adder standing just 5m further never responded. Up till now both the hugginn or the pirates bane could have notified their buddies... The adder was next and backstabed him, he never turned around at all.

#24 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 11:59 PM

Give in. Join the League of Potatoes and help make MWO the game it was destined to be.

#25 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:28 AM

To the potato farm!

Posted Image

#26 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:29 AM

View PostMister Glitchdragon, on 30 January 2017 - 11:52 PM, said:

Really? I know there's damage fall off, but if I'm doing damage out to 1320, I figured a pair of G's would at least be giving me 10 PPD per volley.

Just did the math, each gauss would put out about 5.45 damage at 900m. Its something, though I wouldn't be firing shots at that range unless I was packing like 5 tons per rifle.

#27 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:40 AM

Been finding some bad players out there but also some really horrible T1 players that just cuss up a storm because they lost the match or saw that a new player did only 12 points of damage so goes on mic and belittles them till they disconect.

If we want to keep this game alive with new players you cant just go off on someone that makes a mistake or in Dakota's example does some dumb S*it in game. The player base is small as it us and what the hell does it accomplish to go off on a guy that is put in group play with his friends to have fun in a awesome mech stompy game only to get yelled at because he went left instead of going right. Hes just going to say F this and leave and tell his friends and well there goes a probable 5 more people he would have told about this awesome game out there.

The player base is low as it is lets not make it lower. I'm not saying EVERY T1 player is a **** and some are really great guys that I drop with all the time but i've met some dooshbags in my time. Remember its not only your game its their game as well and if PGI cant fix the match matching system then to not allow T5 to fight T1 or figure out some system there is nothing you can do..

#28 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 01:54 AM

I uh, did something incredibly potato-ish today; I was accidentally running my Mad Dog with 7 tons unused.

I was running this, when I had intended to be running this. Somehow I forgot to equip the 7 double heat sinks.

Unsurprisingly, I was overheating much easier than I should have been, resulting in at least 2 deaths in the 5 or so battles I ran like that.

#29 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:13 AM

They are overrunning us!
Working as intended. PGI went twitchy/CoD/e-sports with this game, instead of Mechwarrior/strategy/simulator, so this is what you get. Quickplay arena deathmatch. No thanks. Ok, back to Arma 3.

#30 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:39 AM

They are overrunning us!
Symptoms appear to be:
1. Deafness.
3. Suicidal tendencies.

Please if you are suffering from any of these symptoms seek medical and in game help immediately.

7. Walking backward in a straight line while under fire.
8. Playing peek a boo as the only tactic available.
9. Wearing pants.

#31 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:48 AM

Can i stand on the "potato" side for a moment?

I usually play Scouting, QP is a memory of the past while i just got mechs and want them elite status.

Qp is really too generic, casual and random to ask for better behaviour.
It's not MWO fault, every team based games has the same flaw (AW, WoT, WT, etc).

I bet people don't look for coordination or teamplay in Qp.
Maybe you will start focused, but a couple of 0-12 is enough to dissipate this attitude.

All it's left for you is trying to make money and/or get exp for the mech you want to elite.
In some cases, to get achievemnts for tournaments.

Take some KKMD event: did i really care for my pug team to win, and for me not to get the KKMD?
Nay, you can try at first, but then...just rush the first target and fire as much as you can.

X2 exp is another trap: some players have more than a mech to grind, and it's not easy to completely change chassis and weapons every match while remaining effective: some build you like, some other dont.
So you will try to grind your LRM boat in Mining or your laser boat in Caustic...

And Last...your role in the whole thing: sometimes you start very well, making some very good egagement, and yet your team lose badly.
Some other you just miss the fights, doing nothing useful, and yet your team steamrolled the enemies.

You don't feel like you can really change the fate of the match, mostly.
Some other times you are the game changer. Pride and joy is filling you up, but at the end of the day you ralize thopse are just sporadic moments.

TL;DR: PGI should introduce more "faction like" gamemodes, because IMHO, when you can really rely on teammates and you can really make the difference, you see players act their best (like it happens 95% of the times in Scouting).

Just to let fantasy fly...

Infiltration: 2vs2 lights only.
Scouting: 4vs4 lights only.
Push: like scouting, 6vs6 4 lights and 2 mediums.
Frontline: 8vs8 4 mediums and 4 heavies.
Headhunters: 8vs8 4 heavies and 4 assault.
...And so on.

Edited by Attank, 31 January 2017 - 03:51 AM.

#32 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:18 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 30 January 2017 - 09:33 PM, said:

I don't understand how people who actually witness what is going on and have an understanding of the players they see can still have this idea.

My dude, no one hates new players. T1 of all places is filled with potatoes, I'm in T1 and got here quickly, others got carried up here after 10000 bad matches and still never learned to play.

To go with your analogy, we're mad this guy managed to get on the Olympic team without doing any training or preparation and then once he got on it he still refused to at least play the part.

Thats the point big guy.
There is no olympic.
There is no price to win.
There is no elite.
There are only players....and you are one of them.

And what you call potatoes, are just players not caring for your "they have to learn" attitude.

They don't care for your stats.
They don't care for your d/k or your w/l ratio.
They just want too drink a beer (or a coffee in some cases) and shoot stuff.

There are just players, we all are, there is no better or worse.

But when somebody comes asking how to perform a certain task I'll help.
If not I won't bother them.

Edited by The Basilisk, 31 January 2017 - 04:20 AM.

#33 Kangarad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 573 posts
  • LocationIn the Mechlab, adding more Double Heatsinks.

Posted 31 January 2017 - 04:47 AM

10 . stopping to smell the flowers in a light mech with theyr back towards the enemy.

I could swear that locust that stopped twice and let me get straight behind him to hit him with my dual ac20 must have seen me comming.... or the raven that I onehit multiple times ... he stoped to look me in the face and lost his, then again the shadowhawk that face tanked me and subsequently died wasn't better than the kodiak that died before him due to headloss.

twist you potatos and atleast try to have some damage hit your side trosi if ya can't keep moving.

Edited by Kangarad, 31 January 2017 - 04:48 AM.

#34 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:06 AM

View PostTWIAFU, on 31 January 2017 - 03:39 AM, said:

7. Walking backward in a straight line while under fire.

Wait, wat? Are you saying this is not the way of doing it? I always ran backwards for 5000+ matches trying to get out of range. *doh*

#35 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,159 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

The irony.

#36 Metal Militia

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 31 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 06:57 AM

They are overrunning us!
Symptoms appear to be:
1. Deafness.
3. Suicidal tendencies.

Posted Image

People like you and posts like this make me want to load up a 12 flamer executioner or LRM Atlas. You make the game worse not better.

#37 Defender Rococo Rockfowl

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 121 posts
  • LocationYou might be having more fun playing post-apocalyptic survival game Miscreated

Posted 31 January 2017 - 07:46 AM

They are overrunning us!
Symptoms appear to be:
1. Deafness.
3. Suicidal tendencies.

Posted Image
was going to say something like, hey carrothead shouldn't you be posting this in general instead of new player forums? But then I realized I was in the general forums. ( what the Bejeesus am I doing here?!)
Whatever. Love how all these problems are listed but you don't list any solutions at all. How typical for complainers. All talk, no solutions. I may not know anything about this game, but I do know that anyone who complains needs to provide optional solutions or shut the hell up. Just sayin :P

#38 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:08 AM

I apologize. I was recalibrating/reconfiguring/tweaking these:

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Mystere, 31 January 2017 - 08:18 AM.

#39 Roadbuster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,437 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 31 January 2017 - 08:39 AM

They are overrunning us!
Symptoms appear to be:
1. Deafness.
3. Suicidal tendencies.

• Maybe not deafness. Could also be they just ignore any command or advice, just like they ignore the map, enemy blips, UAVs, mechs with ECM because there is no blip, and so on.
  • This can happen to anybody after spectating potatoes for too long.
  • See 2.
  • Pressing "R" is too mainstream, don't do it. Also, don't use heat view or night view and always play at max zoom, best with advanced zoom module. Don't adjust to the System! Be that special snowflake!
  • There was no way to prevent that teamkill! I was using advanced zoom at 50m with my SRM Kodiak when my teammate, I was hiding behind, suddenly appeared out of nowhere!
  • If you mean they run around like zombies and ignore everything around them, then that's true.
Posted Image

But honestly. I often wonder how teams with a high number of players who can barely move their mech, end up facing teams consisting of really good players.
These matches end in a stomp every time, and these players end up with 0-100dmg.
The few better players on these teams can't carry THAT hard. These matches are frustrating for the loosing team and also not very entertaining for the winning team.

#40 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 31 January 2017 - 09:27 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 30 January 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

I mean, gauss isn't X3 range anymore, so with it being X2 you're only dealing AC2 tier damage at that range and wasting potential damage with your ammo based build. You are still dealing damage at least though.

Wait what? Dual gauss with no range module will do 19 damage at 900 meters, which is more than "AC2 tier" damage.

View PostTercieI, on 31 January 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

The irony.

IKR??

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users