Timed, sensor or remote mines and other devices for tactical fighting in enclosed quarter areas?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Soltenius Drake

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 04:26 PM

Will there be any timed, sensor or remote devices that you can strategically place say on the side of a building or in a hidden area that will either explode when detonated, after a timed delay or when set off by a sensor? This could have an impact like an explosion or biochemical release or it could deliver information where you can track movements or intercept Intel that the enemy is communicating back and forth.

Maybe even some type of sensor that when crossed will trigger a long range reflex cannon in line to deliver a devastating blow to the heaviest assault mechs. I am new to the game and maybe I don't have an accurate view of the battle model but from what I read and the trailers I have viewed this seems like it bring cool dimension to tactics in the battlefield.

Edited by Soltenius Drake, 13 December 2011 - 04:28 PM.

#2 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:29 PM

View PostSoltenius Drake, on 13 December 2011 - 04:26 PM, said:

Will there be any timed, sensor or remote devices that you can strategically place say on the side of a building or in a hidden area that will either explode when detonated, after a timed delay or when set off by a sensor? This could have an impact like an explosion or biochemical release or it could deliver information where you can track movements or intercept Intel that the enemy is communicating back and forth.

Maybe even some type of sensor that when crossed will trigger a long range reflex cannon in line to deliver a devastating blow to the heaviest assault mechs. I am new to the game and maybe I don't have an accurate view of the battle model but from what I read and the trailers I have viewed this seems like it bring cool dimension to tactics in the battlefield.
I don't know. These might find their way into the resource types that can be used by Command role players.

#3 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 09:36 PM

Precisely what Kay Wolf said.

We'll just have to wait and see.

Should be interesting.

#4 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:38 AM

mines and turrets have been in past games. and while that is no reason to assume they should be in this one, it provides a laudable reason to assume they could be in this one.

The difference could be that the commander/certain mechs have control over their placement. for defensive missions, for example, that might be great fun.

#5 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 09:05 AM

I could see commanders calling in npc cargo vtols to deliver airdropped turrets, that might be an interesting tactical option. The caveat being there's nothing to prevent them from being shot down while deploying said turret.

various mines, could probably be fascam'd in via artillery, or manually placed by thunder LRMs/specialized narcs/alt grenade launcher ammo/actual mine dispenser.

#6 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:15 AM

View PostVYCanis, on 14 December 2011 - 09:05 AM, said:

I could see commanders calling in npc cargo vtols to deliver airdropped turrets, that might be an interesting tactical option. The caveat being there's nothing to prevent them from being shot down while deploying said turret.
Any Commander worth his salt is going to ensure they set up anything like that, unless it's an absolute emergency, outside of combat. It's called staging.

#7 VYCanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:25 AM

that assumes there is time or ability to stage before a drop

Also there is something to be said about gaining ground and moving defenses up. or placing them down on the fly during a retreat, or to set up a trap

#8 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:31 AM

View PostVYCanis, on 14 December 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

or to set up a trap

If I can't have this salvage, nobody can!

Tick, tick, BOOM!

#9 Threat Doc

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:44 AM

View PostVYCanis, on 14 December 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

that assumes there is time or ability to stage before a drop
No, I'm hoping there will be time to get it done after we drop and before first contact. There will be time to set up resources before each drop; if MWO works anything like previous league games, the game can't start until both commanders hit the launch button.

#10 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:21 PM

I can only assume, at least of defensive missions, that there will be at least the travel time for the enemy to make it across the map for the commander to set up defences and deploy accurately.

This is assuming the maps are a decent size.

#11 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:34 PM

View PostMchawkeye, on 14 December 2011 - 12:21 PM, said:

I can only assume, at least of defensive missions, that there will be at least the travel time for the enemy to make it across the map for the commander to set up defences and deploy accurately.

This is assuming the maps are a decent size.

I hope the maps are huge. The fishbowl effect can make for some crappy gaming.

#12 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 12:42 PM

View PostRed Beard, on 14 December 2011 - 12:34 PM, said:

I hope the maps are huge. The fishbowl effect can make for some crappy gaming.

absolutely. in fact, Bigger maps with the threat of turret/mine defences when you get to your target will just give another reason to choose a fast light/medium over a heavy or assault; so you can get there as fast as possible to interrupt the set up, harras base defenders whilst the rest of you unit turns up to do some major damage.

or you'll get some very funky fast heavies. which, having to ditch armour and/or weapons for engine upgrades would make for some interesting mech types, assuming mechlab is that capable.

#13 Semyon Drakon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 260 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 14 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

This is where there might be a division between the TT and MW rules.

While turrets popped up in the MW version they didn't see much airtime on the table. Mostly what can be done with a turret can be done better by a 'Mech or vehicle. You get the benefits of a turreted system, with mobility.

Mine however are a great idea and could be pre-deployed by defending units as part of thier defensive plan, further deployed by thunder or arrow IV launchers after the fight starts or even be a 'terrain feature' put in by the devs for that particular map.

Another cute trick might be to make them persistant on the map, unless the commander of the winning unit sweeps them afterwards.

Don't forget vibromines either, very useful for letting recon unist past then hitting the heavies as they advance.

Semyon

#14 Mchawkeye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 08:13 AM

View PostSemyon Drakon, on 14 December 2011 - 03:44 PM, said:

This is where there might be a division between the TT and MW rules.

While turrets popped up in the MW version they didn't see much airtime on the table. Mostly what can be done with a turret can be done better by a 'Mech or vehicle. You get the benefits of a turreted system, with mobility.

Maybe true, but when there are only so many players on a field, having turrets allows players to free up and move about rather than stay put. it allows people to get involved without sacrificing defensive strategy.
that, and setting up defences is another layer of play to add to the game, which can surely only be a good thing.

like the vibromines. they sound cool.

#15 Red Beard

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 845 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

The more I think about this concept, the more devious ideas creep into my head...

You poor bastiges have it comin'...hehehe :)

#16 Dlardrageth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 15 December 2011 - 03:22 PM

2 years to go, 3051 the tech was rediscovered:

http://www.sarna.net...r_Arrow_Missile

Unless you expect PGI to release the game at start with a full combined arms environment right away, which I don't.

#17 Soltenius Drake

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:16 AM

Ok we have mentioned mines and and the various ways they could be used what about being able to place some type of sensor or trigger that would cause a long ranged weapon to fire on a specific location and emit catastrophic damage to who or whatever occupied the marked space. A kind of reflex weapon.

Also what other tactical tools can you think of to bring excellent options and dimension to the MechWarrior world?

#18 Soltenius Drake

• PipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:58 AM

Those of you who have played previous MechWarrior games are there any EMP mines in the battletech/MechWarrior universe? That could also be a beneficial way to get a tactical advantage in the game.

Of course for every tactical option there needs to be a good counter tactic that can nullify the effect.

#19 Nik Van Rhijn

• 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 18 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

As has been mentioned by others elsewhere - buried landlines for silent comms in ambushes. Remote sensors. Fake mech simulators to lead the enemy in a direction you want. Pre-targeted off board artillery. Camouflaged ambush "bunkers". will try and think of a few more.

#20 Xhaleon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 542 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:38 AM

We'll only get Thunder LRMs 2 years from now.

^_^

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users