Mechs For Scouting

19 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:30 PM

In light of the other thread about IS Scouting and new players, how about clan version?

I main HBK-IIC-B for brawling, 2x MPL + 4x SRM6A, i also shoot the legs cause i'm a filthy clanner. But i did liked Shadow Cat and 3x S-SRM6A for light hunting, i also jump around streaking for hit and run, is that good?

Any other good mechs that can be used? Any specific techniques i can do?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 01 February 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:58 PM

Nova.

SPL/MG.

/thread.

#3 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 02 February 2017 - 06:15 AM

Ice Ferret ... all of them.

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:01 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 February 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

Nova. SPL/MG.

Against SRM Shadowcats and Oxides?

Really?

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:11 AM

Huntsman srm+lbx, Nova with SPL

Never a Shadow Cat. Clans are getting thier butt kicked because of the Shadow Cat .

View PostAppogee, on 02 February 2017 - 08:01 AM, said:

Really?

Hawks and oxides run xl in most cases so yes....

#6 Ziogualty

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 382 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:13 AM

I can give you an honest point of view from the enemy side.

If you like very close and intimate, Novas with SPL is a constant menace for IS mechs: fast, agile (JJ), less engage options that a med las nova, but really deadly giving the optimal engage condition.

HuncIIC and Huntsman has (more or less) same pros and cons: not very agile, they suffer being encircled not only by lights, but Mediums too. On the other hand, if the rest of your lance is good at getting attention, you have impressive damage capabilities (Both with ballistic or SRM). If you manage to make your shot to land, they are gamechanger!

Ice Ferrets were a surprise for me: they are fast, can carry valuable weapon loadouts, and, most of all, they are underestimated. And this is very important, because IS tend to target big stuff or novas, and you can have an easy task by sneaking on the back of the mediums and melt them down in short time.

Cheetas are more or less the counterpart of locusts: if you need a fast light, and you are good piloting it, is the first choice.

Shadow Cats? Dunno..sometimes they are scary, some other not. You have to struggle finding the right weapon loadout in conjuction with your lance. Brawling or long range? with the wrong loadout, you are an easy pick.

One mech i would not pick as first choice is the Jenner2c. I see only very, very good players performing with it. It is good to sneak on the back of IS meds and unleash a full SRM alpha, but it is very hard to fulfill the role of a light or a medium, when you have better mechs in the specific roles.

That being said, Have fun and cya on the Battlefields!

Edited by Attank, 02 February 2017 - 08:14 AM.

#7 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:19 AM

Really?

A SPL nova will murder oxides left and right. Against mediums, it chews through legs or side torso (if is puggels won't twist, which is basically half of the time) in no time.

I used my SPL nova before they even banned Crows, and that thing has a k/d of 11.33 from solo pugging scouting matches.

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,104 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:20 AM

View PostAttank, on 02 February 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

Shadow Cats? Dunno..sometimes they are scary, some other not. You have to struggle finding the right weapon loadout in conjuction with your lance. Brawling or long range? with the wrong loadout, you are an easy pick.

Well, my build with Shadow Cat is Streaks, and i'm experimenting between SPL, ERML, or ERSL + extra ammo.

Honestly, i'd go SRM6As, but i can't aim that well with all of that speed. So i just streak-jump, and hit and run them, fly over their heads as i streak them from a distance. Usually i could keep up with lights too enough to streak them to death, and mediums aren't that fast and agile enough to keep up with me -- not that i have enough fire power to streak them down, but enough to make a dent.

#9 nehebkau

• 3,386 posts
  • LocationIn a water-rights dispute with a Beaver

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:53 AM

Allright filthy clanners -- you need help?

Too bad -- not helping you at all.

#10 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 08:55 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 February 2017 - 08:20 AM, said:

Well, my build with Shadow Cat is Streaks, and i'm experimenting between SPL, ERML, or ERSL + extra ammo.

Honestly, i'd go SRM6As, but i can't aim that well with all of that speed. So i just streak-jump, and hit and run them, fly over their heads as i streak them from a distance. Usually i could keep up with lights too enough to streak them to death, and mediums aren't that fast and agile enough to keep up with me -- not that i have enough fire power to streak them down, but enough to make a dent.

I'd honestly stay away from the scat even before it was nerfed recently.

For 4v4, it's in a odd middlespace where it doesn't have the firepower to reliably kill heavy brawling mediums and it doesn't have the speed to really make a difference if the enemy team plays pure capgame with locusts.

It might work if the enemy team isn't really knowing what they are doing, but if they do, the SCAT is really not a well mech to sit in, imo.

#11 Husker Dude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • Överste-Löjtnant
  • 319 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Really?

Yeah, chiming in, the Novas are totally brutal. The 12 ERSL one is similarly nasty, fire it six and six, you've almost certainly legged a mech by the time you've fired three times.

#12 Starbomber109

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 387 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:32 AM

If you guys get 55tons again, the stormcrow will be really good. Other than that, as long as you have a good close range build and the mech weighs 50+ tons I think it'll be OK at scouting.

#13 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 02 February 2017 - 08:11 AM, said:

Huntsman srm+lbx, Nova with SPL

Never a Shadow Cat. Clans are getting thier butt kicked because of the Shadow Cat .

Hawks and oxides run xl in most cases so yes....

I think a Shadowcat on a team of Novas/hunchbacks/huntsmen has some value. It has good speed with it's engine + MASC, and way more free tonnage to work with than the Ice Ferret and Viper.

The weakness of the clan 50 tonners is their speed. The shadowcat can compensate and help shore up that weakness.

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:04 AM

View PostJman5, on 02 February 2017 - 10:49 AM, said:

I think a Shadowcat on a team of Novas/hunchbacks/huntsmen has some value. It has good speed with it's engine + MASC, and way more free tonnage to work with than the Ice Ferret and Viper.

The weakness of the clan 50 tonners is their speed. The shadowcat can compensate and help shore up that weakness.

Shadowcst has speed I agree. If you can get a team of 4 then do hit and run it could work.

But what I see in the game is there will be 1 or two shadowcats. So the other two mechs get focused then the shadow die last. They just don't have the fire power to brawl.

#15 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 02 February 2017 - 11:43 AM

LRMs. It's all about LRMs. Whatever medium you can pack full of LRMs. Then you can stay back where it's safe while your buddies facetank damage to lock targets for you.

Are you new here?

#16 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:39 PM

5x CSRM6+A Stormcrow ... upgraded.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d2017f104d5a61e

and for clanners that cannot hit locusts:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...d052bc3e69b8e99

Edited by xe N on, 02 February 2017 - 12:45 PM.

#17 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 02 February 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

LRMs. It's all about LRMs. Whatever medium you can pack full of LRMs. Then you can stay back where it's safe while your buddies facetank damage to lock targets for you.

Are you new here?

Pretty sure I saw a stock plus KFX-S yesterday

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b#i=177&l=stock

Swapped out the SPL for a TAG, but that was the only change.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 01 February 2017 - 09:58 PM, said:

Nova.

SPL/MG.

/thread.

Post build pls?

View PostAttank, on 02 February 2017 - 08:13 AM, said:

One mech i would not pick as first choice is the Jenner2c. I see only very, very good players performing with it. It is good to sneak on the back of IS meds and unleash a full SRM alpha, but it is very hard to fulfill the role of a light or a medium, when you have better mechs in the specific roles.

That being said, Have fun and cya on the Battlefields!

Yeah, that used to be my go-to, but after the agility nerfs resulting from the rescale it's really suffered in Scouting.

After not playing Scouting for like 3 months I hopped back in my JR7-IIC and got seriously disappointed four or five times before upping to Novas and my HBK-IIC-B.

#18 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

View Postmeteorol, on 02 February 2017 - 08:19 AM, said:

A SPL nova will murder oxides left and right. Against mediums, it chews through legs or side torso (if is puggels won't twist, which is basically half of the time) in no time.

I used my SPL nova before they even banned Crows, and that thing has a k/d of 11.33 from solo pugging scouting matches.

Indeed. I haven't bothered to scout in 4.1, just a match to help a mate lvl a mech... That's all I ever ran. NOVA.
Oxide or SRM Griffin's etc don't stand a chance. 4 NOVA just chew. Way better than a SCR ever was.

#19 Mekkor Vickers

Rookie

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 4 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:33 AM

If your a fan of the Hunchback IIC but don't want to run SRMs then have a go with the HDK-IIC-A with 8xSPL, its a beast!! Super cool as well.
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3f22d98c47f9ab0

Edited by Mekkor Vickers, 03 February 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#20 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:12 AM

Rate thst build too :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users