Focus Fire And Coordinated Fire

5 replies to this topic

Poll: Focus Fire And Coordinated Fire (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you like to see these added?

1. Yes (7 votes [70.00%])

Percentage of vote: 70.00%

2. No (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Yes but with some changes (post below) (1 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:41 AM

Just a thought to teach players and reward more team play.

two new match rewards

tldr
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Focused Fire

This would reward players for damaging a single component of a mech

Coordinated Fire would be if more pilots got focused fire on the same mech

Crippling Fire would be if more pilots got focused fire on the same part of a mech.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Focused fire would work where the game tracks your damage starting from when you first begin shooting at a mech. as you fire it tracks how much damage you do to a component and subtracts from that damage done to any other component. if you deal X more to that component than the rest of the mech you are awarded "Focused Fire CT/RT/LT/ect." it would calculate after a certain amount of time from the last time you hit it, once you began shooting another target, the component was destroyed or the target was killed.

Coordinated Fire would be if multiple mechs got Focused fire on the same part. the more mechs that did the better the reward. so you and two other mechs got "focused fire" on the same mech you would get "Coordinated fire" and x3 to what ever cb/xp reward.

Crippling fire is similar to Focused fire but would be awarded if you and another mech not only got focused fire on the same target but focused fire on the same component of that target.

What i would like to see is focused fire give a little Match Score while Coordinated Fire would give more. This is do to Coordinated Fire showing a pilot more engaged working as a team.

Overall what I see this doing is teaching newer pilots to focus on one part of a mech as well as further encouraging all pilots to call targets and components and then focusing what was called. This would add another metric to help balance out tires giving just another way to gain PSR that isn't raw damage dealt.

would love to hear ways to improve this idea (also if anyone has a better name for crippling fire)

#2 Tiyos

• PipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 41 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:46 AM

I think crippling fire is a more than effective name for it. Quick and to the point.

This is indeed a great idea, since teamwork is the most important thing in this game. Any incentive for pugs to get in on it is a good idea in my mind.

#3 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:34 AM

I like the idea.... But what about those that are using non-pinpoint weapons (srm, streaks, lbx, lrm, ppc splash)? Seems like this leaves them out purely off weapon choice at beginning of match. If you start everyone on a path of where pinpoint damage is all that matters prepare for more macro using dual gauss and ppc games. As it stands pinpoint damage tends to win the fight anyway thus rewarding the player with more wins. Also there are times when it is just not feasible to shoot the same component. For instance you might only have line of sight to a side torso or leg etc. Under your proposed system this penalize you for taking shots to inflict damage because that damage would not be to the initial focused component.

#4 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:20 AM

well not exactly the only ones that would be penalized are LRMs; SRM and LBX can both concentrate fire if you are using them at an optimal range.

Edited by Cichol Balor, 04 April 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#5 Miles McQuiston

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 01:16 PM

Optimal range? What is optimal for an SRM6 on a light? With Artemis on something big (Assault) you might be able to get a good grouping on a target's single component, but at greater than 200 the spread is going to be over multiple components regardless of size. LBX I can see maybe being alright, but only at short ranges 300m and out it is gonna be spreading damage out quite a bit. Lets also take into account the fact that the target you are shooting is going to be torso twisting to soak damage as well. Take it one step further and consider that some mechs have laser duration modifiers and each laser class has different durations.... and Clan lasers have longer burn time than IS. Pretty soon it is a point where how does this "bonus" work out for each weapon.

I am just trying to point out that there are a ton of variables to cope with. I could see this as a bonus for marksmenship where if a single shot landed on a single component (with non-pinpoint weapons) arguing that you have to hold the aim where you want the damage or lead the target perfectly/get in "optimal range" you would receive a bonus. For the pinpoint weapons IS AC, ppc and gauss it should be a bonus based off landing the shot on the most damaged part of the enemy mech (head, torso, and legs only). I.E. your aim does significant damage to most likely location to cripple the enemy mech. For spread weapons arm/srm/lbx there could be a critical finding bonus/reward. Still would not address flamers and mg or any of the new stuff coming out with the game update.

#6 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 05:52 AM

i don't think you grasp it. yes you will spread damage with those weapons but most of the shots still hit a single component. if they didn't no one would use them. you simply need to do most of the damage to one component not all of it.

shooting at 200m with SRMs is not that much of an ask considering the base range is 270. and that is what i mean by optimal range. the range that most of your cluster lands on your desired target. is it easier with some mechs and weapon systems? yes. but so is getting killing blow, brawling, solo kill, UAV destroyed, scouting, tag damage, ect.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users