Skill Tree Public Test Session

814 replies to this topic

#41 FullAlchemy

• Pip
  • The Moon
  • The Moon
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

Part of the fun of battletech is customizing. If you are penalized for this (in terms of c-bills), you can't make your mech you're own.

Way to save this: once you master three mech variants of the same chassis you get unlimited respecs for that chassis.

1) PGI gets their money from mech bay purchases

2) People who only want to buy one mech/mech bay, have to pay for it by the current respec method.

Edited by FullAlchemy, 08 February 2017 - 04:24 PM.

#42 Sigmar Sich

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,059 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Kyiv

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:23 PM

I'm happy with this changes. Yes, many people will react negatively, saying "more grind". Yes, more. But c-bills come very fast, aspecially in hero mech and premium time. It still joke of a grind, compared to some other online games.

I only wish there were less basic pre-skill weapon quirks.

#43 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:25 PM

been waiting 20 min for a match in a medium...

#44 Winther

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:26 PM

my standard module loadout for mechs are radar dep, seismic sensor, and two weapon modules = 18,000,000 Cbills. This new system will reduce that cost substantially, so it sounds good to me. That plus not having to buy three variants of the same mech make this sound like grinding out a fully functional chassis will be much easier.

#45 PT1

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 18 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:30 PM

Err... 100,000 cbills to unclock 1 skill node? More to respecs? Can this be cheaper?

BTW, why is cbills and mc involved now - this wasnt the case in the previous skill tree...

Edited by PT1, 08 February 2017 - 04:31 PM.

#46 coe7

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 08 February 2017 - 04:03 PM, said:

MC UAV, Strikes, and Coolshots are game breakers for you? Really? Am I missing something because I don't see how they are P2W...

Yes, infact UAV, CS/Strikes are the biggest difference makers on a match. To achieve on average 350-400 match score and high 3-5 KDR, it requires usage of consumables in right spots. Properly placed UAV or CS will tip the match to a 1 mech lead.. I never finnish matches without spending both consumables and I think my leaderboard records prove that consumables are pretty darned OP.. Hence, MC consumables such as UAV, if they are better with this new system we have a big issue..

#47 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,250 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

View PostPT1, on 08 February 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

BTW, why is cbills and mc involved now - this wasnt the case in the previous skill tree...

Because modules are incorporated into the skill tree now.

#48 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:35 PM

This is a huge nerf to mechs that use diverse weaponry, and a huge buff to single-weapon type boating. Omnimechs benefit most.

Particularly saddening is the way the skill nodes are linked. Let's say I have a mech with PPC and AC/10, and I want to improve just the velocity of the AC/10 but not cooldown, and just the cooldown of PPC but not velocity or range. Well, I can for the AC in this instance, but not for the PPC apparently. Why this design decision?

Edited by Pyed, 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM.

#49 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:36 PM

I just want to play a match...

#50 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

Regarding MC vs CB consumables.

You guys have found an error. It is not intended that the MC versions of Air/Arty/UAV outperform CB versions. This will be corrected prior to release.

#51 Ravenlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 262 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 08 February 2017 - 04:21 PM, said:

So you are of the view that we should just accept that the majority of variants are obsolete/not worth owning?

And even if that were the case, lots of variants can do different loadouts, so duplicates will happen.

Duplicates and also respecs.

#52 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

Soooo excited. Haven't really seen anything yet that is overly bad honestly.

Cost? C'mon really? 9 million cbills bad? I'm mediocre and my average cbill per match is over 100K. So you're telling me I can fully master out a mech in 75-80 or so drops? easy peasy! Love it!

136K xp to fully master out.. .people do realize that there is far more benefit in these 91 nodes than we get today.. so yeah, I'm totally fine with spending more to get more.

Build variety? Damn straight! I've already got all sorts of builds in mind for mechs I used to rarely drive. I was never much into poke mech.. but this will likely get me started.

I know I'm in the total minority based on the three pages I've read so far... but damn I'm looking forward to this.

PTS already loaded up!

Edited by Morggo, 08 February 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#53 coe7

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 February 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

Regarding MC vs CB consumables.

You guys have found an error. It is not intended that the MC versions of Air/Arty/UAV outperform CB versions. This will be corrected prior to release.

Thank you.

#54 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:44 PM

still no matches...

#55 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

View Postcoe7, on 08 February 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Yes, infact UAV, CS/Strikes are the biggest difference makers on a match. To achieve on average 350-400 match score and high 3-5 KDR, it requires usage of consumables in right spots. Properly placed UAV or CS will tip the match to a 1 mech lead.. I never finnish matches without spending both consumables and I think my leaderboard records prove that consumables are pretty darned OP.. Hence, MC consumables such as UAV, if they are better with this new system we have a big issue..

Your view has merit, however, consider that you are projecting it as if it is absolutely the norm...

Here's a counter point. I jokingly made an account, "UrbanTarget" that is all about urbanmechs... for lols...
The only consumable i use is the base uav and no other modules. Nothing unlocked, other that elite skills. I have been able to put together 2-4 kill/kmdd games *while leveling* in a 30 ton mech. Do i get crap matches too? Sure! But it does not seem necessary to use mc consumables to excel, and I would firther posit that they would not turn my crap games to insta-wins.

So, you are entitled to your opinion, just be aware that it may not, in fact, be more than an opinion bouyed by anecdotal evidence.

Edited by MovinTarget, 08 February 2017 - 04:47 PM.

#56 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:46 PM

View PostMorggo, on 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM, said:

Cost? C'mon really? 9 million cbills bad? I'm mediocre and my average cbill per match is over 100K. So you're telling me I can fully master out a mech in 75-80 or so drops? easy peasy! Love it!

75-80 drops, and that's money that won't be going to the next mech you might want to buy that will keep you playing the game.

The pattern for myself and I assume many players is:
1) Get enough money for a mech and (at least basic) modifications
2) Earn XP in that mech
3) Get enough money for the next variant/chassis with the money you just earned
4) Well I can't stop playing MWO now, I just got a new mech to xp up!
5) Lose soul

Now it will be:
1) Get enough money for a mech and (at least basic) modifications
2) Earn XP in that mech
3) Not have any money for another variant/chassis because you spent it all on getting nodes
4) Fall off the treadmill and lose interest in MWO

Edited by Pyed, 08 February 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#57 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

I guess the biggest losers are the people that bought a lot of mechs but no modules.

Biggest winners will be all the whales that bought modules in bulk when they were on sale, and/or did early adoption for free modules.

#58 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:53 PM

View Postshameless, on 08 February 2017 - 04:44 PM, said:

still no matches...

gonna be in a a short time. give me about 20 mins

#59 Kaoba

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 214 posts
  • LocationMordor

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:54 PM

Honestly I think we should get at least 5million cbills per every mech we already have mastered, damn I play thid game a lot and wasted a lot of money and time getting a lot of mechs and mastering those, and now I have to farm 9.1 m cbills per every mech again?? How on earth im gonna farm 364000000 million of cbills??? And theres people that has 200+ mechs.... Its like a slap on the face...
PD: I just have like 5 modules

Edited by Kaoba, 08 February 2017 - 04:55 PM.

#60 coe7

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 95 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 08 February 2017 - 04:46 PM, said:

Your view has merit, however, consider that you are projecting it as if it is absolutely the norm...

So, you are entitled to your opinion, just be aware that it may not, in fact, be more than an opinion bouyed by anecdotal evidence.

I'm projecting it as absolute norm to master usage of consumables for the tier 1 players who boast 3.0+ KDR in quickplay leaderboards. Since you claim you can't turn matches around using consumables, without even checking I assume your lifetime history in quickplay stats revolves around ~1 KDR, ~250avg score. Hence, I'm quite sure just adjusting your consumable usage would double your win/loss ratio and improve you match score averages.

But hey, this is MWO, game where proper way to do things is argue against those with better knowledge rather than learn from them. You do not seem to break the mold.

Edited by coe7, 08 February 2017 - 04:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users