Some Skill Tree Components Are Confusing Or Missing

6 replies to this topic

#1 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

The Skill tree lacks options to unlock upgrades for some components and others seem to be deliberately confusing.

-ER lasers, for example, are grouped in with standard lasers, but pulse lasers get their own category. This is the only place where two distinct weapon systems are grouped into one category, and the only notice that ER lasers are also affected is the little pop-up window at the node unlocks.

Also, Artillery, Airstrikes, and Coolshots. Unlike with the UAV there is no option to increase the capability of Arty, Air, or coolshots to match the performance of MC-variants of these items.

Edited by Kael Posavatz, 08 February 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:41 PM

The IS ERLL benefits from the regular laser tree.

#3 Kael Posavatz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 971 posts
  • LocationOn a quest to find the Star League

Posted 08 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Yeah, went back and reread the post when I saw the Clans lacked an ER-series but had standard laser nodes. That needs to be made clear and it isn't.

Also, no other weapon has 'shared nodes' like that. Why do it for the laser/er-lasers?

#4 Avarice1of2

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 194 posts
  • LocationSitting in a the cockpit of a mech whose pilot is no longer with us with Bitching Betty telling me my loadout is not usable.

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:25 AM

In my opinion they should really just group all three lasers together, this way even tag will get a boost. PPC tree should be changed to Particle tree and should include flamers. Why do I say particles because PPCs fire either charged particles or plasma, and flamers either vent plasma or burn fuel. It would also mean they would not have to add a new branch for the Plasma Cannon.

#5 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:33 AM

In my opinion all weapons should be grouped together in most respects. The tree punishes already suboptimal lore and mixed builds that Russ supposedly cares about. There should be universal range nodes, universal cooldown nodes and universal "quality" (or whatever) nodes that would improve weapon-specific aspects (lbx+srm+lrm spread, gauss charge time, MG CoF, uac jam chance).

Any other solution punishes people additionally for daring not to boat. It's detrimental to the game at best.

#6 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 09 February 2017 - 03:15 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 09 February 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

In my opinion all weapons should be grouped together in most respects. The tree punishes already suboptimal lore and mixed builds that Russ supposedly cares about. There should be universal range nodes, universal cooldown nodes and universal "quality" (or whatever) nodes that would improve weapon-specific aspects (lbx+srm+lrm spread, gauss charge time, MG CoF, uac jam chance).

Any other solution punishes people additionally for daring not to boat. It's detrimental to the game at best.

I think rather than grouping classes or all weapons together, the branches could give synergy for using multiple weapons.

e.g.
Maybe give synergy if you spend x SP in two weapon branches (e.g. Laser give Missile bonus, ACs give Laser Bonus, etc.) to give a bonus to mixed builds.

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,703 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 05:17 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 09 February 2017 - 02:33 AM, said:

In my opinion all weapons should be grouped together in most respects. The tree punishes already suboptimal lore and mixed builds that Russ supposedly cares about. There should be universal range nodes, universal cooldown nodes and universal "quality" (or whatever) nodes that would improve weapon-specific aspects (lbx+srm+lrm spread, gauss charge time, MG CoF, uac jam chance)

Agreed, and probably some kind of hierarchy to the unlocks: you have to spend x SPs on generic nodes before you can spend any on class nodes (Energy, Ballistic, Missile) and you have to spend y SPs there before you can spend any on individual weapon families (Lasers, Pulse Lasers, LBXes, UACs).

Some lore builds would probably benefit from dedicated skill trees for a specific weapon, eg AC/20 (possibly AC/20 / UAC/20) tree for Hunchback 4G

View PostReno Blade, on 09 February 2017 - 03:15 AM, said:

Maybe give synergy if you spend x SP in two weapon branches (e.g. Laser give Missile bonus, ACs give Laser Bonus, etc.) to give a bonus to mixed builds.

Sneak a few generic quirks into the trees perhaps? Lasers giving bonus to missiles could be handled by affecting TAG range and/or extending its' duration.

Edited by Horseman, 09 February 2017 - 05:19 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users