92 replies to this topic

#61 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

I see that line as yellow... but yeah. O.o; Good eye.

#62 Mighty Spike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,589 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationHoly Beer City of Munich

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:34 AM

View PostSmithus, on 14 January 2018 - 09:31 AM, said:

Thank You !

no problem you´re welcome Posted Image

Edited by Mighty Spike, 14 January 2018 - 11:37 AM.

#63 DaVinci761st

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 24 January 2018 - 04:32 PM

Thank you to @Nightmare1 and everyone that help contribute to putting together these guides and keeping them up-to-date. It really helped this first-time MWO player.

#64 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:19 PM

View PostDaVinci761st, on 24 January 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Thank you to @Nightmare1 and everyone that help contribute to putting together these guides and keeping them up-to-date. It really helped this first-time MWO player.

You're very welcome! I'm glad this guide was of some help! :)

#65 HARDKOR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:12 PM

Just got back from a tour of duty as a married conscript... what’s the current state of the weapons? I have all this money and clearly need to gear up and I don’t wanna waste time... last time I played it was all clan er med and is large lasers...

Also, nice to come back and see my old mate is the boot camp sarge

Just got back from a tour of duty as a married conscript... what’s the current state of the weapons? I have all this money and clearly need to gear up and I don’t wanna waste time... last time I played it was all clan er med and is large lasers...

Also, nice to come back and see my old mate is the boot camp sarge

#66 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 07:35 PM

View PostHARDKOR, on 04 February 2018 - 06:12 PM, said:

Also, nice to come back and see my old mate is the boot camp sarge ������������

Also, nice to come back and see my old mate is the boot camp sarge ������������

Hey Hardkor, welcome back from deployment! I hope it went well for you! :)

To answer your question regarding the state of weapons, there has been much change without any real change to the meta (The more things change, the more they stay the same, eh?). Laser vomit remains the general-purpose meta of choice for most players, while specific metas exist for specific game modes (i.e. - Scouting versus Invasion versus solo, etc).

A lot of new weapons have hit the game, including ER weaponry for the IS, Fusion Engines for the IS, new PPC types for the IS, Racs for the IS, new Gauss types for the IS, new MRMs for the IS, new machine gun types for both Factions, new Heavy weapons for the Clans, and ATMs for the Clans. The IS also received Streak, LBX, and UAC versions of its SRMs and ACs.

The ERML for both factions still syncs well with the LPL, making them a good combo. The ERLL is still used heavily in both camps, while the Heavy LL is a go-to weapon for the Clans. The IS enjoys a nice set of niche weapons in the form of Snub-Nose PPCs and Heavy Gauss, while Light Machine Guns provide good critting support for both Factions at ranges out to 300 meters. The IS got MRMs which are a frightening brawler's weapon and mid-range, dumb-fire missile support, while the Clans received ATMs which provide highly accurate and lethal lock-on missile support that deals varying damage based on your distance to targets (works differently that direct fire weapons or Clan LRMs - check the damage graph in game to see why). Racs are an IS specialty that are a powerful niche weapon when used properly, but require large amounts of face time leaving their user vulnerable. The IS also received LBX and UAC versions of all its ballistics to match the Clans, while the Clans received micro lasers. Flamers were also overhauled visually and also in terms of function, making them more of a niche utility weapon. ECM received a big nerf too, and is largely useless unless you plan to invest heavily in its Skill Tree.

For your IS Mechs, Fusion Engines are the way to go. They are basically the IS equivalent of Clan XL engines; you can lose a side torso without dying, but if you lose both side torsos, then you will die. They don't provide the same tonnage savings as the IS XL engines, but the upgrade in TTK is well worth it. They also don't require as many slots as IS Mechs, which means you can fit them on Mechs like the HBK-4G with its shoulder-mounted AC/20 to give you a tonnage boost without really sacrificing your TTK.

If you want to get an idea of what some of these weapons are like before you equip them, check out my YouTube Channel for some videos demonstrating them: https://www.youtube....PzkWo1ZA/videos

I have vids demonstrating most of the new systems in real matches now, so you should be able to get a good feel for what you can expect. If you're still using a joystick, you may want to avoid Racs and Heavy Lasers for now; they require lots of face time which could be difficult to maintain with a joystick.

Hope this helps! See you in-game! :)

#67 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

A video about JJs that I will be adding to the Guide sometime later this week:

#68 Skullgrin

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 12:04 PM

I look forward to putting this knowledge to use, the game has been on my Radar since launch and I am now in a place where I have time to actually play it.

#69 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 08 May 2018 - 01:40 PM

View PostSkullgrin, on 08 May 2018 - 12:04 PM, said:

I look forward to putting this knowledge to use, the game has been on my Radar since launch and I am now in a place where I have time to actually play it.

Congrats and welcome to the MWO Community! :)

#70 Tanyaya

Rookie

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:09 PM

Hello folks. so I was wondering what exactly do the tiers mean, and more importantly are they of any consequence at all?. I've only been playing about 2-3 months but i've still only managed to get to tier 3 in all that time, I feel like it's taking ages but I probably wouldn't pay much attention if I actually knew what the tiers stand for. Or if they are even important at all. Tier 1 is the top if I understand correctly?. So far levelling is so so. If I use my favourite mech I can usually do pretty well, averaging 4 kills a match providing i'm not the first one to die within the first few minutes of the game :P. (my playstyle unfortunately).
The tiers though, do they affect the matchmaking and how you are teamed?, or are there any bonuses at all the hight you are?.
I'll do a search and try to find a bit more info now but any help would be kindly appreciated.

Thank you and probably see you in game!.

#71 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 28 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

View PostTanyaya, on 28 May 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

Hello folks. so I was wondering what exactly do the tiers mean, and more importantly are they of any consequence at all?

The Tiers have absolutely no relation to anything of consequence. They most closely resemble a "can you average a match score of 100 or better" experience bar. It used to have at least a small amount to do with who you were matched with, but it appears that those restrictions have lapsed due to low populations.

In short: Tiers have nothing whatsoever to do with this game. Ignore them.

#72 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:03 PM

View PostTanyaya, on 28 May 2018 - 01:09 PM, said:

Hello folks. so I was wondering what exactly do the tiers mean, and more importantly are they of any consequence at all?. I've only been playing about 2-3 months but i've still only managed to get to tier 3 in all that time, I feel like it's taking ages but I probably wouldn't pay much attention if I actually knew what the tiers stand for. Or if they are even important at all. Tier 1 is the top if I understand correctly?. So far levelling is so so. If I use my favourite mech I can usually do pretty well, averaging 4 kills a match providing i'm not the first one to die within the first few minutes of the game Posted Image. (my playstyle unfortunately).
The tiers though, do they affect the matchmaking and how you are teamed?, or are there any bonuses at all the hight you are?.
I'll do a search and try to find a bit more info now but any help would be kindly appreciated.

Thank you and probably see you in game!.

It looks like BTG already provided a good answer. In short, the Tiers are just XP bars that are meant to demonstrate how "experienced" a person is in-game. Someone in Tier 1 could be considered to be very experienced in MWO whereas someone in Tier 5 would be considered new and inexperienced. For a while, the Matchmaker was supposed to match players with other members of their Tier, + or - one Tier above and below. However, due to the game's low population, PGI suspended Tier-based matchmaking.

It is possible to stagnate or decrease your Tier, but you have to play very poorly in order to do so. It is very easy to raise your Tier, but it is actually harder to lower it.

Lastly, the Group Matchmaker uses the average Tier of all the players in the group when trying to match against other groups. However, due to the small player population in the Group Queue, I believe that this has been suspended as well.

#73 Therewolf

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationThat freaking cold place

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:26 AM

Patch Files (Direct Download)

To make the patching process easier for players with limited download caps, we'll be providing direct download links for the patch file(s) that comprise this patch. This will allow you to download the patch file(s) elsewhere, for manual injection into the MWO patcher through a Patch Cache folder.
Aside from allowing you to download the patch file(s) elsewhere, on another connection, there are no additional benefits to performing the patch this way; the patching process itself will be the same.

As I'm not permitted to post under the patch notes thread (and the hint imo fits with OP here), I'd like to say thanks for this. Makes life much easier as you don't have to haul the pc to the hotspot, can just grab the download with a phone.

#74 Conlin

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 06 September 2019 - 06:35 AM

Sheesh what can I say ? .
Tried this when it was beta , enjoyed it . Kinda lost track as I work for a living and run my own business ;)
Saw the add for MW5 Mercs and decided to give MWO a go before the release in December .
I,m from MW4 The Vengeance League . if some of you old salts remember it from the bible basher XFracture .
I was his bestest buddy ( not ) .
KN Asmo . The KIN .
Fantastic game at the time , but whats happened here ? .
Struggling to get a match . Takes so long to get a match .
I always thought MW had a huge fan base from the good old days of the cardboard map and the lead figures .

#75 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 06 September 2019 - 09:01 PM

View PostConlin, on 06 September 2019 - 06:35 AM, said:

Sheesh what can I say ? .
Tried this when it was beta , enjoyed it . Kinda lost track as I work for a living and run my own business Posted Image
Saw the add for MW5 Mercs and decided to give MWO a go before the release in December .
I,m from MW4 The Vengeance League . if some of you old salts remember it from the bible basher XFracture .
I was his bestest buddy ( not ) .
KN Asmo . The KIN .
Fantastic game at the time , but whats happened here ? .
Struggling to get a match . Takes so long to get a match .
I always thought MW had a huge fan base from the good old days of the cardboard map and the lead figures .

The game is dying off, sadly. It's been around since 2011 and is aging out. If you can get into matches, then it's still a lot of fun to play though.

Edited by Nightmare1, 06 September 2019 - 09:02 PM.

#76 Conlin

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationScotland

Posted 08 September 2019 - 12:18 AM

View PostNightmare1, on 06 September 2019 - 09:01 PM, said:

The game is dying off, sadly. It's been around since 2011 and is aging out. If you can get into matches, then it's still a lot of fun to play though.

So would you say their is hope with MW5 released in December that the game may get a new lease of life ? .

#77 RBL Acehigh

• Pip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 15 posts
  • LocationMidwestern United States

Posted 20 April 2020 - 12:48 AM

The guide is impressive but it's not very helpful to me actually learning how to play the game. I have a headset and mic which don't help at all because of ignorant team mates. For example someone on my team decided to act like the commander and said "everyone go to h10 and we'll set up an attack here". everone ignores this and by the time I get over to that spot I run into the entire enemy team.

The controls are absolutely atrocious too. Not one that praises fps on mouse and keyboard. Aiming is way to difficult. Especially while moving. Then this happens.......I'm in a summoner with a lbx 10, er ppc, and lrm 15's. I spot a light mech running right at me at about 550 meters. He hasn't seen me so it should be an easy kill. I hit him dead center torso with 3 volleys from the ppc, 8 shots from the lbx, and 3 lrm volleys. According to the paper doll all hit center torso.....so this fool should have been long gone. Instead he sees me after taking all that ghost damage and unloads on me with a pair of machine guns........my ct rips open and I'm dead in 2 seconds. No tutorial can help with that kind of scenario. Something like this bs happens every match I try to play of mwo. I'm just about ready to forget about this trash and see if Living Legends is still online. That games makes sense and feels much more like the mp from mw 4

#78 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 01:49 AM

View PostRBL Acehigh, on 20 April 2020 - 12:48 AM, said:

The guide is impressive but it's not very helpful to me actually learning how to play the game. I have a headset and mic which don't help at all because of ignorant team mates. For example someone on my team decided to act like the commander and said "everyone go to h10 and we'll set up an attack here". everone ignores this and by the time I get over to that spot I run into the entire enemy team.

The controls are absolutely atrocious too. Not one that praises fps on mouse and keyboard. Aiming is way to difficult. Especially while moving. Then this happens.......I'm in a summoner with a lbx 10, er ppc, and lrm 15's. I spot a light mech running right at me at about 550 meters. He hasn't seen me so it should be an easy kill. I hit him dead center torso with 3 volleys from the ppc, 8 shots from the lbx, and 3 lrm volleys. According to the paper doll all hit center torso.....so this fool should have been long gone. Instead he sees me after taking all that ghost damage and unloads on me with a pair of machine guns........my ct rips open and I'm dead in 2 seconds. No tutorial can help with that kind of scenario. Something like this bs happens every match I try to play of mwo. I'm just about ready to forget about this trash and see if Living Legends is still online. That games makes sense and feels much more like the mp from mw 4
This thread is absolutely ancient so it may not be of much use.

Anyways, MWO by default has an absolutely ridiculoysly high mouse sensitivity setting. If you have a modern gaming mouse, you will probably want to take it all the way down to the minimum of 0.1. This should make the game much much easier to play. You can widen the Field of View setting too since the default is optimal for viewing a television from a sofa and you are probably sitting much ccloser to your monitor than that. Try 80 or 90 for example.

Your Summoner loadout seems very inefficient with there being very little synergy between the three weapon systems. Just using 2 ERPPCs is probably the most reliable option, and 2LB10 or 2UAC10 might also work.

#79 Harkeill

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 02:38 PM

So I started the game today, downloaded it and even went through the basic training and began my tour of duty, so to speak with my first quick play match. After that, I had to log off to do a few things, but when I returned, I wanted to try playing again, but it is not giving me any option to log into the game itself. There is no play button, just the 'Download Now' button in the top left corner. So my question is how in the heck do you even get into the game again? I am not going through the hastle of downloading something I already did.
thanks if anyone knows.

#80 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 13 May 2020 - 08:36 AM

View PostHarkeill, on 12 May 2020 - 02:38 PM, said:

So I started the game today, downloaded it and even went through the basic training and began my tour of duty, so to speak with my first quick play match. After that, I had to log off to do a few things, but when I returned, I wanted to try playing again, but it is not giving me any option to log into the game itself. There is no play button, just the 'Download Now' button in the top left corner. So my question is how in the heck do you even get into the game again? I am not going through the hastle of downloading something I already did.
thanks if anyone knows.

Can you post a screenshot of what you're trying to describe? That doesn't sound either like PGI's "MWO Portal" nor Steam.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users