Alpine Peaks drop zone

2 replies to this topic

#1 Wolf McNish

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 11:38 AM

The problem is the IS dropzone in the Faction Warfare Skirmish, the one in J5.
It is totally open to enemy fire is the enemy gets up on the hills in K6, and the one to the right of it (when viewed from that dropzone.), they can fire over the walls, and if they focus fire, a mech might not be able to do more than 5 steps out of the landing zone, before it is killed.

Seriously, I just had a game, where the Clanners were able to get the hills, and then just spawnkill the whole team.
It ended 48 to 9 for the clans, and at the end the whole match was just waiting for the rest of the team's mechs to get killed.

Now one could argue that our problem was that we didn't defend the hills in K6, and decided to hunker down behind the walls to fight them at close range, to negate the range advantage of the clans.

True, however, the problem still persists if you take that into consideration.

Say you defend the hills and the enemy still gets them, and your landing zone is under fire, you can't even go out the rear exit (towards I5 or J4/J3) to the base to loop around, as every mech is shot to bits before he reaches the safety of the walls near the rear exit.

So if the enemy has the hills the game is finished, you won't even be able to change your tactics if you want to.

Now the easiest way to fix this would be to erect a second wall to close in the landing zone, which would allow a mech to land under cover, and would also allow the team to successfully out of the base/drop zone.

However the problem is that there is high ground that is close enough to threaten the landing zone, and the landing zone is not protected.

Also aren't the dropships supposed to be armed?
That would be another way of dealing with spawn camping.
I remember one of them lighting us up when we got to close in a scouting match.
We actually accidently "defended" their landing zone, and so the dropship came down right on top of us.

If this is the first experience of new players to Faction Play, or Maps like Terra Therma Domination, you can't don't have to wonder why people tend to drop out.

#2 Tibbnak

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 379 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 12:31 PM

Posted Image

#3 Wolf McNish

• PipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 36 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 02:22 PM

@Tibbnak, One picutre says more than a thousand words.........I think that was shortly before or after I lost my last mech. .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users