Different Firepower Trees Concept

7 replies to this topic

#1 Arastoru

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:14 AM

What if instead of having separate tree for each weapon type, we group all skill nodes in 4 categories:
  • cool-down
  • heat generation
  • range
  • accuracy (velocity for projectiles, spread for missiles, and duration for lasers)
and build skill trees based on that groups instead of weapon types?
It could be 4 smaller trees, or 2 big ones (lets say 1 tree for range and accuracy and another for the rest), nodes in those can affect 1 or more weapon type in 1 or more way, structure of the tree itself could be done in any way, but as a whole it will represent one-two aspects of every weapon in game, so lets say maxing cool-down tree would get cool-down reduction for whole weapon specter. Of course some weapon-specific nodes could be mixed-in too, so maxing whole tree for just 1 weapon wont be necessary.

I think skill trees build that way would provide more flexibility in builds, wont encourage boating as much, and focus on role specialization more than on weapon type (like brawlers can get cool-down and heat gen nodes and ignore range and accuracy). Of course getting most from every tree should be possible too, but with trade off of points which would go in another tree otherwise.

P.S. well this is just a concept i thought of after i saw a ton of trees for each weapon type, from whose only one would be fully maxed depending on what weapon is main on current build, and others wont be even touched. I think this concept at least more interesting.

#2 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:49 AM

Yes, with the caveat that the nodes should be more specialized the deeper you go into the tree.

#3 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 08:51 AM

Yes! THIS SO MUCH!

#4 Admiral Brad

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:11 AM

I like this concept as well. It would greatly benefit the mixed hardpoint mechs.

#5 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:18 AM

Wow, great idea!

Would the trees be linear or mixed?
Ordered from general hardpoint classes to specific weapons, or maybe from small weapons to bis ones?

#6 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,716 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

View PostKuaron, on 09 February 2017 - 09:18 AM, said:

Would the trees be linear or mixed?
Ordered from general hardpoint classes to specific weapons, or maybe from small weapons to bis ones?

I'd say general to specific weapon families would be best, leaving out weapon-specific trees to be determined by the individual chassis (eg a PPC tree for Warhammers, AC/20 tree for HBK-4G etc)

#7 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 09:50 AM

View PostArastoru, on 09 February 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

What if instead of having separate tree for each weapon type, we group all skill nodes in 4 categories:
  • cool-down
  • heat generation
  • range
  • accuracy (velocity for projectiles, spread for missiles, and duration for lasers)
and build skill trees based on that groups instead of weapon types?

It could be 4 smaller trees, or 2 big ones (lets say 1 tree for range and accuracy and another for the rest), nodes in those can affect 1 or more weapon type in 1 or more way, structure of the tree itself could be done in any way, but as a whole it will represent one-two aspects of every weapon in game, so lets say maxing cool-down tree would get cool-down reduction for whole weapon specter. Of course some weapon-specific nodes could be mixed-in too, so maxing whole tree for just 1 weapon wont be necessary.

I think skill trees build that way would provide more flexibility in builds, wont encourage boating as much, and focus on role specialization more than on weapon type (like brawlers can get cool-down and heat gen nodes and ignore range and accuracy). Of course getting most from every tree should be possible too, but with trade off of points which would go in another tree otherwise.

P.S. well this is just a concept i thought of after i saw a ton of trees for each weapon type, from whose only one would be fully maxed depending on what weapon is main on current build, and others wont be even touched. I think this concept at least more interesting.

This would be an improvement on what they currently have, having lazer and pulse lazer be different trees and ac and uac be different trees seems super punishing.

#8 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:50 AM

Could we make it in a way to discourage boating? Because if we can, we could ditch Ghost Heat without any ED needed.

Currently, I’m thinking of something like this (random half of random branch):
Connections selective, not comprehensive.

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users