- - - - -

What Is The Right Way To Lrm?

50 replies to this topic

#41 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:37 AM

A term I've heard a little lately is players with LRMs asking for a "Hard Lock".

When I was really into playing my Kit Foxes I would try to give the first kind. The one where you look over or around something to hold on to a lock for someone else. I did find that my head and torso was being shot off a lot doing this. In fact, I finally gave up trying to do it on a regular basis.

If you do want to do this, use avd target decay. Then you can take the lock and then hide.

In the PTS, Mechs can be set up as pure Scouts, target range up to 1,300 meters etc. Avd Target Decay etc etc.

And for me, this is the thing that the 600 meters back, sitting in a trench LRMers do not seem to understand. The players you are asking to get you locks are being killed doing it. YOU are getting free damage, they are getting killed.

But I do believe and I have my own idea what a "Hard Lock" is. That is when at least one member of your team is dueling a enemy mech close up. THIS is the target you should be dropping on. It is all about DPS and if you are adding damage to a enemy mech that your teammates are fighting, that is a Hard Lock and the right way to do it.

I've been trying to come up with a Mech that can stand in the open using Artemis and firing on a target without dying.

This one is close. The buttons to fire his right and left LBX 5's are linked with a right or left LRM 15. So you must be in full view and under range and direct sight of my Tag for me to even shoot at you.

#42 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 17 February 2017 - 08:37 AM, said:

I've been trying to come up with a Mech that can stand in the open using Artemis and firing on a target without dying.

This one is close. The buttons to fire his right and left LBX 5's are linked with a right or left LRM 15. So you must be in full view and under range and direct sight of my Tag for me to even shoot at you.

Waitaminute...

You have your LBX and your LRMs set to fire on the same key and have it based off left and right?

Why though? Its just much better to have an LBX group and an LRM group, that way you can just fire the LBX at close up targets without wasting LRM ammo and you can fire the LRMs at things that the LBX wouldn't hit.

Makes no sense to put two weapons with entirely different firing styles and aiming methods in the same group.

Also no mech stand out in the open and lives against anyone competent. You'd be using cover but just peeking in and out of it like with a direct fire weapon, but firing lrms instead.

#43 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 February 2017 - 01:36 PM

as I understand it hard lock means a lock which is unlikely to be lost in the next 10 seconds, if you are a Mech with good sensors it is possible to achive a hard lock from 1200+m if the enemy are especialy stupid.

never stand out in the open, ether keep moving or peak from cover, if you are standing still in the open you are an easy target, and the enemy fire support Mechs (be that fire support Gauss, PPCs, lasers, autocannons or LRMs) realy like easy targets

if an I am in close and brawling with an enemy Mech I do not want to have my allies firing huge LRM vollys at the target, because there is as good a chance they will hit me as my target

#44 Neput Z34

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 244 posts
  • Location...far away from a Land of my birth...

Posted 17 February 2017 - 04:40 PM

More threads on "How To LURM Properly".
Someone can probably write their Doctorate/ PhD Thesis with all the information out on the forums.

TLDR: Bring more LRM Boats it gives me more reasons to drive a Nova-S with TRIPLE AMS!!

#45 Tahribator

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 05:04 AM

TL;DW
  • Get a mobile chassis.
  • Advanced Target Decay+Artemis
  • Get your own damn locks. Never trust other people's locks.
  • Enjoy the tears.

#46 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:08 AM

View PostDakota1000, on 17 February 2017 - 11:16 AM, said:

Waitaminute...

You have your LBX and your LRMs set to fire on the same key and have it based off left and right?

Why though? Its just much better to have an LBX group and an LRM group, that way you can just fire the LBX at close up targets without wasting LRM ammo and you can fire the LRMs at things that the LBX wouldn't hit.

Makes no sense to put two weapons with entirely different firing styles and aiming methods in the same group.

Also no mech stand out in the open and lives against anyone competent. You'd be using cover but just peeking in and out of it like with a direct fire weapon, but firing lrms instead.

I have the left linked with button 1 and the right linked with button 2. However, I can also shoot the LRMs alone with the 4 button and the LBX's alone with the 3 button.

As you have read here, some people believe that LRMs should only be a direct fire weapon. So that is how I try to fire them.

Another thing that helps is the target box or symbol. I do not see well up close so I NEED the target box. I will sometimes carry an LRM 5 with no ammo just for that target box.

And I'm having fun.....:P

#47 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:18 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#48 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 08:42 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

#49 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostSkrapha, on 17 February 2017 - 07:45 AM, said:

Ive also heard that once you get to the upper two teirs LRMs become next to useless...however even in teir one players who stream on youtube ive seen large amounts of LRM fire being called for...I suppose its just how there used and how effective they are that changes the higher up you go in the tier system.

Cheers

Still having positive kdm and wins in t2 last season with my dogs.

If you want to have fun with lrms, you should learn some things:
Learn to "curve" your lrms around your cover (you need real arms but torso missiles),
shoot enemys with your second weapons and using lrms on another mech with your own or allys locks,
lock 2 enemys, fire lrms and hit both (you need a module and maybe tag/artemis to alternate the locks fast),
hit enemys without locks with your lrms,
spend around 1/6 (up to 1/3) of your ammo knowing they will do no damage on purpose but will change the flow,
hit enemys with lrms under the crimson roof or hpg under,
dont allways fire your missiles in the moment you get an allys lock or your own lock,
and some more mentioned above ...

Edited by Kroete, 18 February 2017 - 12:37 PM.

#50 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:58 PM

View PostTahribator, on 18 February 2017 - 05:04 AM, said:

TL;DW
  • Get a mobile chassis.
  • Advanced Target Decay+Artemis
  • Get your own damn locks. Never trust other people's locks.
  • Enjoy the tears.
Hmm. Must get me an A1. I'm running an AWS-8R with 3x LRM-15 myself - fairly decent.

Oh, and if your chassis has energy hardpoints, you might want to get a TAG. Very handy.

#51 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 11:55 AM

View PostNeput Z34, on 17 February 2017 - 04:40 PM, said:

More threads on "How To LURM Properly".
Someone can probably write their Doctorate/ PhD Thesis with all the information out on the forums.

TLDR: Bring more LRM Boats it gives me more reasons to drive a Nova-S with TRIPLE AMS!!

I like to start threads like this every couple of months.

My next one will be the reasons I think CLAN ACs are better than Clan UACS!

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users