Ban Basic Green!

89 replies to this topic

#41 Chados

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:52 AM

I run a Fractal pattern in Oxblood, Dark Cobra Green, and Orpiment on my RFL-3. It's the closest I can get to traditional DCMS Rasalhague Regulars unit schemes from back in the day. It seems to work decently in non-winter environments, too. Polygon in camo black/camo grey/camo white works decent too.

#42 Snowbluff

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 11:56 AM

My colors tend to be ostentatious. If I am basically a mech, I will keep it default to avoid attention.

#43 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:01 PM

It been getting a lot better now that mech packs come with colors. Just a few year ago 99% of the mechs were all green . If you painted you mech at all you were a target.

#44 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:02 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 12 February 2017 - 03:40 PM, said:

I suggested a long time ago that picking a faction should instantly paint your mech with a default camo pattern. So in a FP match with Davion vs Liao, all unpainted mechs would look like they belong to the same Davion or Liao regiment.

Of course, PGI always valued the chance to make money on cosmetics more than the value of having some sort of immersive Battletech game.

They could always make those default faction camos super ugly and brightly colored by hitboxes. Instant cash cow :P

#45 xe N on

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:07 PM

View PostNecromonger Commander, on 13 February 2017 - 06:39 AM, said:

What kind of idiot would paint their tank bright pink if they didn't want to be spotted by enemy tanks?

What idiot would build bipedal tanks that are up the size of a 5-story building emerging from the landscape like a big target?

Edited by xe N on, 13 February 2017 - 12:09 PM.

#46 Rhialto

• Philanthropist
  • 2,084 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationQuébec, QC - CANADA

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

Would be cool to have trial mechs in a unique color not available anywhere else...Or a decal unique to trials to differentiate from people who really want to use basic green.

Just kidding, I know it would tell the enemy to much information like default loadout.

#47 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:32 PM

I don't even try to make real camo because camo does not work in this game. At a certain distance I'm just black and clearly visible anyway. So I just strive to make my 'mechs look cool instead of having effective camo. If someone is close enough for their eyes to be fooled by my camo they are close enough to achieve target lock.

#48 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:37 PM

View PostSjorpha, on 13 February 2017 - 12:02 PM, said:

They could always make those default faction camos super ugly and brightly colored by hitboxes. Instant cash cow Posted Image

Like the default camo pattern for the Battlemaster.

"HERE IS MY CENTER TORSO!"

Posted Image

#49 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 13 February 2017 - 12:43 PM

View PostTristan Winter, on 13 February 2017 - 12:37 PM, said:

Like the default camo pattern for the Battlemaster.

"HERE IS MY CENTER TORSO!"

Posted Image

Oh god, the peeps

#50 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:55 PM

View PostLupis Volk, on 12 February 2017 - 10:27 PM, said:

Only in Mechwarrior Online will someone try to rally behind people not buying colours for their mechs, pitiful.

let me point out how silly it is to spend upwards of $5 for a 6 digit hex color code. and for noobs buying the trial colors are kind of a huge investment, and thats beside the fact that they are all ugly. if the mwo beautification committee wants to get things done, the prices really have to be more reasonable. more colors in events, more colors with mech packs, new cheevos with colors as rewards, more color/skin sales etc. i dont know why pgi pushes the ugliest color on the planet as their noob color though. if your game doesnt look good its not going to bring in players. i for one am getting sick of that shade of green.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 February 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#51 Warglbargl

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 94 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 13 February 2017 - 04:55 PM, said:

let me point out how silly it is to spend upwards of $5 for a 6 digit hex color code. and for noobs buying the trial colors are kind of a huge investment, and thats beside the fact that they are all ugly. if the mwo beautification committee wants to get things done, the prices really have to be more reasonable. more colors in events, more colors with mech packs, new cheevos with colors as rewards, more color/skin sales etc. i dont know why pgi pushes the ugliest color on the planet as their noob color though. if your game doesnt look good its not going to bring in players. i for one am getting sick of that shade of green.

It was always funny/sad to see the default color be so ugly.

I mean if you are trying to sell something it should probably not come stock in a shade of vomit.

Then you go to buy some not-terrible colors and realize they are 5 bucks, each, ayy lmao.

#52 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:10 PM

View PostRhialto, on 12 February 2017 - 03:16 PM, said:

Dunno what's going on recently, there are so many players using basic green mechs. Posted Image

I'm still in T2 and I'm always wondering if it's a new T5 player who didn't had time to care about colors or if it's a long time player who really don't care at all abour colors. There are a few available for so could not argue about spending on colors is not your thing. Posted Image

When I'll switch to T1 this will eliminate brand new players (T5) so whenever I'll see a player in basic green from then would mean an experienced player maybe playing a trial mech or simply not interested of using colors which is highly improbable when you have invested many hours in the game you like you usually also like to start cutomize a little bit. Also as a long time player chance are that you have received a free color after an event... probabilities are low that you haven't at least one other color than basic green.

Life is short, spice it up with colors! Posted Image

My unit laughs at me constantly because I have soooo many stock green mechs.

That said, I don't care. I'm not spending MC for a bloody colour.

Mechbays, special packs - That is where the MC that I acquire goes, you know, useful stuff.
I wasn't aware colours were cbill purchaseable? If they are, I might think about it - but then I've never looked. The only colours I have I got for free 12 months ago as part of some event :D

#53 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:24 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 13 February 2017 - 09:10 PM, said:

My unit laughs at me constantly because I have soooo many stock green mechs.

That said, I don't care. I'm not spending MC for a bloody colour.

Mechbays, special packs - That is where the MC that I acquire goes, you know, useful stuff.
I wasn't aware colours were cbill purchaseable? If they are, I might think about it - but then I've never looked. The only colours I have I got for free 12 months ago as part of some event Posted Image

there are, look under basic colors. i forget how much they are but its a million or more cbills (i bought them all long ago and i forget). you get an ugly shade of red, an ugly shade of blue, an ugly shade of orange, and an ugly shade of purple. as ugly as they are they are a good stand in for an ugly shade of green, and eventually you will get so sick of that color you will drop the cbills. since you can stick 3 colors on a mech they can complement eachother, though stock patterns leave a lot to be desired.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 February 2017 - 09:27 PM.

#54 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

lol so if they are all crap then I'm not gonna buy them am I? :P

#55 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:32 PM

what else are you going to spend your t1 size pool of cbills on, because you run out of things to buy eventually. hell i remember buying a basic color by selling two thirds of my pool of medium lasers that i never use. and that was when i was a noob with like a dozen mechs to my name.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 February 2017 - 09:33 PM.

#56 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:37 PM

Well after the module refund I don't actually know.

Waiting to see how much I get - I have like 30 spare mechbays (picked up on the sale), I reckon I'll be filling a few of them up... I have a lot of modules.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 13 February 2017 - 09:37 PM.

#57 bryantjudoman

• PipPip
  • The Ironclad
  • The Ironclad
  • 35 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:36 PM

problem is as soon as you paint up your mech cool it signals that you are a more dedicated player and you are zeroed in on. Better to go basic green and blend in!

#58 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:20 AM

i maybe bought too many colours, that beeing said it sorta wakes memories for me, painting tin mechs back in the day.
Then i discovered 'black-cherry', which is way overpriced, but i use it now on most of my mechs in some combination because i think its PRETTY and thus ill buy no more colours (note to self).

#59 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:44 AM

Basic Green is free, it looks decent, it often blends in, and the other free colors look pretty horrendous (I'm sure by design), oh and did I mention, it's free. I don't blame anyone for running green.

Some players don't care to run colors or camo (or at least don't care to pay real money for them), and that's there choice. I understand that and I approve.

Besides, IMO, I would rather see a sea of basic green mechs than see mechs with gaudy decals plastered all over themselves any day.

#60 Mole

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,314 posts
  • LocationAt work, cutting up brains for a living.

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

Personally when I first started this game I wanted to paint my 'mechs all a sort of olive drab greenish color. Because I always thought that looked cool on military machines. Then I discovered that that's how my 'mechs came default. I can't blame anyone who thinks basic green looks good. You don't have to be a potato to run basic green.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users