Change The Way Skills Are Assigned

5 replies to this topic

#1 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

So, everyone seems to agree the biggest problems with the trees are the limited amount of points, they cost a lot (many think more than they are worth), and they are hard to change.

My recommendation is pretty simple and only really reflects the mechanics of points themselves, not the relation to other skills or the tree alignments.

I suggest we remove the limit on the amount of skills you can buy. However, once bought they become 'available' to use and are in an 'unassigned' state until they are 'assigned'. The limit on the 'assigned' values should be 91 (or whatever the final outcome is) and the cost to reassign should be relatively trivial (say, 1,000 cbills) to keep people from feeling like they are screwed over for selecting the wrong points.

I just wanted to present it as a possible function of the trees and how to deal with multiple design concepts with the same mech.

#2 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

View PostGabrielSun, on 16 February 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

So, everyone seems to agree the biggest problems with the trees are the limited amount of points, they cost a lot (many think more than they are worth), and they are hard to change.

My recommendation is pretty simple and only really reflects the mechanics of points themselves, not the relation to other skills or the tree alignments.

I suggest we remove the limit on the amount of skills you can buy. However, once bought they become 'available' to use and are in an 'unassigned' state until they are 'assigned'. The limit on the 'assigned' values should be 91 (or whatever the final outcome is) and the cost to reassign should be relatively trivial (say, 1,000 cbills) to keep people from feeling like they are screwed over for selecting the wrong points.

I just wanted to present it as a possible function of the trees and how to deal with multiple design concepts with the same mech.

91 spots is what we have now and it's not enough to properly skill the mech in a way to discourage boating. We are forced to buy some nodes in order to get the ones we want. The best you could do, is skill one weapon completely which is an improvement over the two skills in the old system. The big question is how many skills to make the mech "mastered" under the V2.0 system you had a max of 91 nodes but if you wanted to change the skills you would need to pay to remove the skills
and put in new ones. Under the current system you have 2 mech "skill" and 2 "weapon skills and all the pilot skills. With this new system the skills are tied to the mech most players want to skill the weapons the4y use so they function at their max ability.you can pick only 91 skills less than that and the mech won't be fully mastered.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:19 AM

I thinks the whole point of the new system is to limit power creep due to modules and quirks and skills.
Also the new system gives the player choice/ownership over what skills they chose.
Rather than reskilling, players might have several mechs of the same variant that specialize in different things.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 19 February 2017 - 03:19 AM.

#4 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 23 February 2017 - 03:53 PM

Limiting power creep is fine, and needs to be done. But forcing players to buy more than one of the same mech variant to get something as basic as a different loadout (and optimize skills for it) is just plain bad for the game.

I admit that I do have two KDK-3's and two TBR-C's with very different loadouts and love them both (my most consistently awesome mechs). But these are the only duplicates I own from 60 mechs. And I actively play both loadouts on both of these mechs. That is different from trying out a loadout, and then deciding to do something very different on the same mech. I think we all like to experiment with different loadouts, but with the new skill system we need to be able to change not only loadouts but specific skills in order to test which loadout works best in game play. Paying millions of c-bills to do this each time would take away a lot of fun and interest from the game, and give the players nothing in return.

#5 GabrielSun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 01:45 PM

The new weapon tree seems pretty good at grouping a few of the needed traits, but there are still items scattered around that irritate you if you want to max them out because you have to spend 20 extra points to do it.

The other trees are still horrible for forcing me to select a few pts of an item that I don't care about (1% here and there are almost useless wastes of points). By my reckoning on a few skill trees that I've done you'll need 10 to 20 pts more than 91 to get the wanted design out of it with the extra as wasted points.

#6 shameless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 491 posts

Posted 02 March 2017 - 02:32 PM

still making you take skills no one ever wants or needs to get to ones that people actually want and need, still a total failure.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users