108 replies to this topic

#101 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 03:36 PM

How many people care about CW
CW is one tenth the size of quick play

The reason I became a founder was the Mechwarrior "5" ( the old one) video, I thought the game was going to be single player with multiplayer just like the other mechwarrior games.

Being the only mechwarrior game after a 10 years wait sealed the deal.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 20 February 2017 - 03:37 PM.

#102 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:17 PM

View PostAlmond Brown, on 20 February 2017 - 09:16 AM, said:

But you bought a ONLINE game...

As if online games and lore are mutually exclusive. <smh>

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 20 February 2017 - 03:36 PM, said:

The reason I became a founder was the Mechwarrior "5" ( the old one) video, I thought the game was going to be single player with multiplayer just like the other mechwarrior games.

You weren't paying much attention then even with the evidence right on front of your face.

#103 Dr Hobo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 530 posts
  • LocationA cardboard box drinkin mah hooch.

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:18 PM

MWO has the same problem Fallout 4 did.

It's a good game,remove the Battle Tech lore(or Fallout lore) and it's a great game,they're just terrible games of their families.

#104 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:59 PM

View PostMystere, on 20 February 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

You weren't paying much attention then even with the evidence right on front of your face.

Indeed....MW5 trailer was... 2 years before MWO? And the Founders Pack was pretty descriptive about the goal of MWO. Mind you they either completely lied about all the immersion stuff, or are delusional if they think they have delivered it.... but the Multiplayer Online nature was spelled out like a Neon Sign on the Solaris Strip.

#105 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:38 PM

View PostMystere, on 20 February 2017 - 08:17 PM, said:

I'm not clear on what evidence your speaking of?

If your talking of BT, Mechwarrior is a part of BT, but BT is so much more than just mechwarrior.

If you mean online multiplayer, I was mostly interested in the Single player when I saw the Mech 5 video (the old one).
Then the game went to online only and I signed up anyway as it was my only chance to play something Mechwarrior after a 10 year absence.

Again I'm not clear on what you mean.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 21 February 2017 - 02:39 PM.

#106 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:42 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 21 February 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

I'm not clear on what evidence your speaking of?

If your talking of BT, Mechwarrior is a part of BT, but BT is so much more than just mechwarrior.

If you mean online multiplayer, I was mostly interested in the Single player when I saw the Mech 5 video (the old one).
Then the game went to online only and I signed up anyway as it was my only chance to play something Mechwarrior after a 10 year absence.

Again I'm not clear on what you mean.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 20 February 2017 - 08:59 PM, said:

Indeed....MW5 trailer was... 2 years before MWO? And the Founders Pack was pretty descriptive about the goal of MWO. Mind you they either completely lied about all the immersion stuff, or are delusional if they think they have delivered it.... but the Multiplayer Online nature was spelled out like a Neon Sign on the Solaris Strip.

Edited by Mystere, 21 February 2017 - 02:43 PM.

#107 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 02:46 PM

View PostMystere, on 21 February 2017 - 02:42 PM, said:

O dat

Well then I'll repeat

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 21 February 2017 - 02:38 PM, said:

#108 Jables McBarty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:15 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 18 February 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Same

There wasn't a lot of competition in the market at the time. Hawken was pretty much the only other significant Mech FPS back then. Titanfall that released a few years later was hyped during when the futuristic FPS was the thing.

Only reason why Titanfall 2 isn't doing well than it should be is because people are getting tired of the futuristic FPS setting and BF1 did dominate a bit last year

I'm hardly a BT purist--my pedigree is MW3, MW4, MechAssault 1 and 2, and a few frustrating forays into the Clix Dark Ages--but I took one look at Hawken, Steel Hounds, Titanfall, all of them, and said "Not MechWarrior? Not interested."

Continuity with my favorite childhood 'mech simulators is what drew me to MWO.

#109 rolly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 995 posts
  • LocationDown the street from the MWO server

Posted 21 February 2017 - 03:39 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 18 February 2017 - 11:50 AM, said:

Good discussion stuff...

[color=#959595]For example;[/color]
[color=#959595]Faction A relies on ballistic based weapons. Cannons, shells, stuff like that. While they have to aim a little higher above their target to compensate for bullet drop over long distances, they can also use this to their advantage by firing them like mortars, being able to shoot behind cover and damage enemies without LOS. Their support weapons will include artillery strikes that can do a lot of AoE but may have little effect on targets hiding behind a hill[/color]

[color=#959595]Faction B emphasizes a lot on energy based weapons, stuff like lasers and plasma rifles. Gameplay wise, they do a lot of LOS.[/color]
[color=#959595]Support wise, they can have an orbital laser platform that can shoot targets hiding behind a hill, but will have no effect against those that have cover above their heads.[/color]

[color=#959595]Just by these 2 different examples, I can already see a diverse gameplay that can rival the IS/Clans that we have right now. Now add 3 other factions each with their own unique play style, gameplay depth and variety increases a lot. Of course, they will have to introduce new mechanics and new weapons as well to add more to what we already have.[/color]

More good stuff

So basically in Example A you've just named the Federated Commonwealth which loves its AC's and has faction specific mechs like the Jagermech, Centy, Victor, Enforcer to boot

In Example B you've pretty much named Clan Wolf during the Refusal War. Which specifically chose to use energy-based weapons to defeat the ammo dependent Clan Jade Falcon.

You want a faction that does ECM and LRM support? Capellan Confederation with its Catapult/Raven combo with its people workhorse army of Urbanmechs and Vindicators

Perhaps you want a faction that does combined arms? Clan Hell's Horse. Perhaps an aristocracy with favours assaults to make up for its politically sharp and inept leadership? House Steiner.

Or maybe a Warrior bushido culture that barely manages to adapt but has networked infotech? Draconis Combine.

Lore already has the faction examples you set out. Why spend countless hours making crap up when there is a whole bunch of lore to offshoot from and build upon?

I like your ideas here but as I've seen there seems to be a polarization of opinions on Lore. Its not black or white. PGi pretty much ignores lore till its convenient to them. Ie. The Rubberback mech in which they paid off a BT writer to write fluff a week before Mechcon to suit their needs.

Lore is meant as a guide to draw the old school fans and give a new hook to the uninitiated. Its not suppose to be rigid canon that makes anything that strays from it heresy.

PGI just chose to water things down into IS/Clan, ignoring the depth that Lore can provide to increase everything from sales, to background info on planets you're invading in FP. Where as all they have to do is draw on this and add fluff text here and there to add flavour to the shallow game they have. Lore helps with depth and is a reference point and its not a rigid lock on IP.

The further someone strays from the guidance that Lore provides the more it isn't MW or BT or what have you. Ignoring it is even worse. This is where you get memorable characters like Jar Jar Binks or games like Mech Assault, But when you run with it, you get creations like MW2, Mech Commander 1-2, Rogue One, X-wing vs. TIE. All these used canon to weave new aspects of the universe and add depth.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users