ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:28 PM

View PostShiroi Tsuki, on 18 February 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

If the game is aimed at a more broader audience, then you may just get support from more than just the MWO crowd. Target audience is just as important.
If you're gonna develop a Mech game that is not related to BT and have BT fans as your primary target audience, you're most likely not gonna do well. But if you develop a Mech game that is not related to BT but have a more broader target audience, regardless if you're gonna hook in BT fans or not, you'll most likely have more success.

do you see the masses tripping over themselves for generic mech games? Even pretty well designed ones like Titanfall, have miniscule sales compared to other FPS games like Battlefield.... and those are WELL designed games, with a lot of options and features that the Devs here can't seem to comprehend even when you hand them a copy of the other game.

Did you just miss the Skill Tree PTS... which they are convinced is a cutting edge idea?

PGI had no cachet to garner investors. They were known for polishing a Cabelas game and involvement in Duke Nuke Em Forever. NOT really ringing endorsements. THE SOLE REASON their kickstarter got ANY traction, was because of the Battletech IP, and what turned out to be blatant lies about their intents to stay true to the IP to bleed idiot suckers liek me desperate for new Battletech of Founders money.

#42 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:07 AM

The BT Universe is its biggest strength AND it has been done right up until now. They have done a great job of making a Battletech sim, what there is of it. This Battletech sim is missing a lot of game play and elements and finishing touches, is the only problem.

A great example of finishing touches are faction specific dropships in FP. Another, eject animation.

Examples of missing gameplay are first person mechbay so the mechlab isn't so crowded and showing the scale of the mechs as well as more maps and modes and a deeper, more atmospheric game in general.

So the original topic is kind of off point.

I don't necessarily agree this game is only doing well because of the BT title. But fact is, the fiction is unrivaled. They captured the idea of knights on the battlefield in the 31st century very well. A very original idea even if not entirely unexpected. The romantic idea was used to describe early pilots in real life. Men are knighted to this day and translates well to an exciting fictional universe and video game.

Edited by Johnny Z, 19 February 2017 - 12:17 AM.

#43 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:15 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 February 2017 - 12:07 AM, said:

The BT Universe is its biggest strength AND it has been done right up until now. They have done a great job of making a Battletech sim, what there is of it. This Battletech sim is missing a lot of game play and elements and finishing touches, is the only problem.

A great example of finishing touches are faction specific dropships in FP. Another, eject animation.

Examples of missing gameplay are first person mechbay so the mechlab isn't so crowded and showing the scale of the mechs as well as more maps and modes and a deeper, more atmospheric game in general.

So the original topic is kind of off point.

Considering it's missing almost any and all sim elements, I'm not even sure what you are rambling on about. This isn't even a SIM Lite, but a simplified FPS. Hell, it even had more dumbed down aiming mechanics than most mainstream FPS games. But SIM? Even the Devs gave up on that pretense after closed beta

#44 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:20 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 19 February 2017 - 12:15 AM, said:

Considering it's missing almost any and all sim elements, I'm not even sure what you are rambling on about. This isn't even a SIM Lite, but a simplified FPS. Hell, it even had more dumbed down aiming mechanics than most mainstream FPS games. But SIM? Even the Devs gave up on that pretense after closed beta

Considering the video game landscape its a very well done sim, although it could be improved in small ways. But the major portion is right on point.

I constantly complain about missing atmosphere, the thing that makes all movies or books or games great, or not. Some call it immersion, but that's not correct. Immersion can be ruined, but that's not what makes entertainment great.

Atmosphere is basically why Titanfall is missing so much, but MechWarrior has so much. I guess an even more common way to put it, is does the game/book/movie capture the imagination or not. This game hasn't even tried. Titanfall has tried, not to hard, but mostly failed, but that's only one opinion.

The MechWarrior 5 preview shows that the game studio doing this game has the right idea and I guess everyone can hope it translates into the online game as well.

Edited by Johnny Z, 19 February 2017 - 12:32 AM.

#45 Wrathful Scythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:10 AM

In my opinion MWO would have died several times in the past were it not for the BT licence and its fair share of fans. Mechgames are a niche and the chance having such a game become extremely popular is pretty slim. Furthermore MWO is pretty mediocre. Not a bad game, though clearly lacking in many aspects.

#46 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:34 AM

View PostWrathful Scythe, on 19 February 2017 - 01:10 AM, said:

In my opinion MWO would have died several times in the past were it not for the BT licence and its fair share of fans. Mechgames are a niche and the chance having such a game become extremely popular is pretty slim. Furthermore MWO is pretty mediocre. Not a bad game, though clearly lacking in many aspects.

Easily the best combat gameplay online. I have to add again, that it needs improvement as a whole for sure.

NPC tanks, gunships, and all sorts of things.

Edited by Johnny Z, 19 February 2017 - 01:35 AM.

#47 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

View PostJohnny Z, on 19 February 2017 - 12:20 AM, said:

Considering the video game landscape its a very well done sim, although it could be improved in small ways. But the major portion is right on point.

Did you just say that MWO is a very well done sim? Are you ******* kidding me?

Take a look at Digital Combat Simulator. Now that is a very well made sim.

#48 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:50 AM

When i see MWO. I see Mechwarrior 2, mercs and ghostbear

I play it as such.....
thats when this game was at its best.. when you had a instructor calling you a CivCO reject, and a to not even think about shooting me, and those mechs out there @ nav point beta are old and outdated, never the less they are still dangerous to a slimly little freebirth like you

This game was at its best when she would tell you... Proceed to nav point alpha and dock @ mech bay 7, It was the best when she would tell you... Planet sodatus, local time two six, point one one G M T, all system nominal

I use the MW2 soundpak mod, Its made the game better for me. Its nothing more then quick drop team death match, and honestly i wish it was A free for all, (some times it feels like a free for all )

#49 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:55 AM

If they wanted to following Battle tech.. They should have just followed the cartoon,

Sometimes i wounder if they read any of the books... and or DID that somehow hurt them..

Nicolai malthus

Adam Steiner

FRANKLIN SAKAMOTO

#50 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:41 AM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 18 February 2017 - 10:15 PM, said:

Stop this.

Stop this right now.

You KNOW better.

Guess you didn't read my post after that one

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 18 February 2017 - 06:38 PM, said:

Yeah I know MW is based on BT.
The mechwarrior crowd Im speaking of are the ones that played the mechwarrior video games (Including the Mech Sim found in shopping centers of yore) but don't give a rats about tabletop, that crowd.

I mean repair and rearm got removed cause not that many people liked it, even though some were very vocal about having it added to the game.

I don't have the patience to TT, but I read the compedium and source books, cause they are kinda interesting, even read a few novels (Big Ulric Kerensky and Kai Allard fan) but for me the mech sim (video game) is where its at.

I'm a Legendary Founder to boot

Im one of THOSE MECHWARRIOR FANS, who helped raise 5 million to get this game of the ground
And YES, I will not stop
Posted Image

Edit: BATTLETECH suits a RPG or Single player Sim, for an arena shooter, MECHWARRIOR all the way baby

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 19 February 2017 - 03:52 AM.

#51 Airwind

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 158 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:08 AM

Remove bt and this game is DOA long time ago.

#52 Anjian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 04:44 AM

View Postrollermint, on 18 February 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

We've had some stompy robot games during the heydays of the early Mechwarriors, Heavy Gears and Earthsiege 1/2/Starsiege. I enjoyed them all, particularly Earthsiege.

If some reputable studio/company decides to kickstart a new mechsim, would the MWO crowd even support them? Lets say that they do have a solid portfolio and have very sound ideas and concepts for their new game?

War Robots, aka Walking War Robots, have proved the success and viability of the "stomping robot" genre, and not just in being a game, not just in being a totally unknown IP without a famous franchise behind it but also by proving you can do it in the mobile platform.

For months, they were in the top 10 action shooting games on the Apple App Store and Google Play, till lately, greed got the better of them, having bought out by the same publishers who screwed up Armored Warfare merrily. We are talking at least 20 million downloads for the game.

Unlike Hawken and Titanfall, which capitalized on FPS style fast shooting mechs, War Robots is a true stompy robot game. Stompier more than MWO --- the assault mechs you see move around like 32 kph, their mediums move at the rate our heavies are here and their lights like mediums here. They also have a high TTK, especially at the lower tiers of the game, but TTK falls as weapons become more stronger. However, you do have 10 minutes to play a game, with six vs. six and with up to 5 respawns.

As proof of concept, WR definitely shows there is a market for stompy robots and it does not necessarily be Battletech. It just needs to be fun, accessible, and simple --- the latter is important because complexity may not be a good thing always.

I don't know why people are fixated with Titanfall and Hawken. You are looking at the wrong direction here if you like to see the rise (and perhaps fall, thanks to greed) of a successfully viable stompy robot game.

#53 Darth Hotz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 459 posts
  • LocationOuter Rim of Berlin

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

As my nickname tells, I am not from this lore. I played the old games from MW2 on, but never played BT and read any MW books, etc.

When I started to play MWO I was willing to get immersed into the MWO cannon. But what is there to get immersed in? Community warfare was the only thing where role play did matter. Now with FP 4.1 even this little piece is gone.

What is left of the lore?

There are no "lore" events. There is no storytelling. There is no immersion into something bigger.

I would be glad if there would be more lore, but there is nothing. Just new mechpacks with a origin story.

All that is left from lore are the massive balance problems occuring because PGI follows the "equal but superior" approach that will never work in an ego shooter, and that is what this game is. An ego shooter that once called itself "A thinking mans shooter". How much thinking do you need these days in an MWO match?

So, if they dont use the lore`s possibilities for immersion and storytelling, with are still use the restrictions?

So I understand the OP in his intent to get rid of BT restrictions, since there is nothing more left of the lore and start developing the game into something more than the endless grind.

But sadly, while writing this, I realize that it would not matter. BT lore would offer enough ways to develop this game but PGI does not use them for their own reasons. Even if they do, the get beaten up by the community and interesting concepts like infowar are buried again and the endless grind continues.

Edited by Darth Hotz, 19 February 2017 - 05:45 AM.

#54 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 19 February 2017 - 06:51 AM

MWO should've been *more* BT with better adaptation.

Risk/Reward accuracy (moving faster/jumping is less accurate)
Heat actually doing something before shutdown (stages of overheat)
Balance the weapons with soft stats (RoF, projectile speed/spread, burn duration, convergence, etc...)
Create variety in weapons with different manufacturers and difference between the weapons in the class.
Balance the mechs with soft stats (Acceleration/Decceleration, Turn radius, effects of loss)
Adapt the tech to be much better counterplay. (Electronics/ECM as a soft-counterplay)
(And just to get a merc feel out of it... take the crappier mechs, and have them earn more resources on a sliding scale... reward for taking the tougher mechs to play.)

Community Warfare was killed by not being player driven. (Just a series of hamster wheels.)

This game has all the mechanics to be great, and very true to the BT it got its sales from, it's just dead from the neck up.

(Incidentally, I'm finally just removing the MWO rotating wallpapers from my computer so I stop getting reminded of what it could have been.)

Edited by Livewyr, 19 February 2017 - 06:56 AM.

#55 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 February 2017 - 07:45 AM

IMO what makes it a BT game is the mech models and the actual weapons being PPCs, ACs, LRMs, SRMs, Lasers, etc. Not tabletop specific rules and values.

I think it would be better if they did not have this insistance of following the rules and numbers of a tabletop dice roll game. Those numbers don't matter to lore, and using rules and values from a totally different game format hinders this game. For example, if PGI werent determined to never 'break' stock builds, they could alter tonnage and crit values for weapons and balancing IS and Clan would be SO MUCH easier.

#56 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:25 AM

#earth Siege

#57 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:35 AM

View PostProbably Not, on 18 February 2017 - 01:54 PM, said:

Oh, SUPPOSEDLY Russ and co. played TT (once, at least) and just LOVE the BT lore. Posted Image

Yeah and my cat is Natasha Kerensky.

He and yes I did say he, has the same number of testicles, (I wonder if vets enjoy that side of their job) so I must be telling the truth Posted Image

#58 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 19 February 2017 - 09:39 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 18 February 2017 - 04:07 PM, said:

If MWO was built to be "the next MW game" instead of BT, people would be less likely to be holding onto the lore aspect than anything else.

The problem is that PGI doesn't know what exactly catering to the BT crowd actually means.

I disagree, the only real difference between M.W.O and Battle Tech is ones designed for computers the other isn't

The lore should be the same for both,

I think P.G.I do know how to cater to the BT purists. They just stopped even paying lip service towards what they intended to ignore, as soon as they felt they could get away with it.

#59 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:45 AM

View PostCathy, on 19 February 2017 - 09:39 AM, said:

I disagree, the only real difference between M.W.O and Battle Tech is ones designed for computers the other isn't

The lore should be the same for both,

I think P.G.I do know how to cater to the BT purists. They just stopped even paying lip service towards what they intended to ignore, as soon as they felt they could get away with it.

I want to keep this simple...

For a BT game, this game is totally devoid of lore.

#60 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:27 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 19 February 2017 - 03:41 AM, said:

Guess you didn't read my post after that one

Im one of THOSE MECHWARRIOR FANS, who helped raise 5 million to get this game of the ground
And YES, I will not stop
Posted Image

Edit: BATTLETECH suits a RPG or Single player Sim, for an arena shooter, MECHWARRIOR all the way baby

Hmm. I did not realize all those Mechwarrior games were all nothing but arena shooters. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users