Balance BattleMechs

30 replies to this topic

#1 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:32 PM

so after playing a lot of the urban mech, I'm a little underwhelmed...mostly because my jenner has close to the same weapon, goes something like 40 Kmh faster and has close to the same armor and 6 medium lasers.

wait....

what?

the urbie is supposed to be a little tank with close to medium mech armor...and given that some versions use very heavy guns, this mech needs ridiculous armor quirks. given the amount of crazyness you need to do to get this mech up to 90 ish kmh, there needs to be something to give this little guy some help. Lore says thats it's a slow tank...so why not actually give it and edge up on all of the light mechs in that department

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:39 PM

Relative to other lights, the Urbanmech is actually really, really, REALLY small. Yes, it probably needs some armour love, but at the end of the day it actually has god tier (side? front? How do you tell which side is the front on a round trashcan?) profile.

If anything, I'd say the armour on the side torsi and the arms need to be buffed up a little. The trashcan tends to have all its weapons on one side, and losing that side usually means the trashcan is effectively out of the match.

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostProbably Not, on 23 February 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

The Urbie is not supposed to be a "tank".

The Urbie is not even supposed to be particularly good.

It was literally the cheapest way to put a large-bore Autocannon on legs for the purpose of controlling city blocks and denying territory to enemy mechs on a shoestring budget.

It's a ******* joke mech, for christ's sake. A voluntary-challenge mech.

Don't use a the "supposed to be bad" argument, or else we're going to have to make the Timber Wolf objectively superior to like 90% of IS mechs and other stuff like that. Every gundam in MWO is supposed to be useful, period.

Also, while not particularly good in a 1:1 comparison, the Urbie in TT actually was very efficient for its BattleValue. As a fun fact, having one Mad Cat versus a bunch of Urbies with equal BV would actually favor the Urbies.

As for the "tank" argument, it stems from the fact that the stock Urbie has max armor while the majority of mechs in BT don't. Thus, the Urbie ended up having more (stock) armor than most other lights and a number of mediums.

Edited by FupDup, 23 February 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#4 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:45 PM

that's true, you lose one gun and the other follows shortly. the major problem I feel is this mech is way to slow when engines are upgraded, and, when only going 70kmh vs. other mechs with a similar engine it's a little underwhelming the amount of protection the mech has for it's crawling speed.

that being said, if the lore says the urbie wasn't good...that's great and all, but lore is one things, games are another TT games are one thing...jokes aside...lets make it a little more viable just for the sake of game play

also above poster talked about armor in TT...how does that work? I'm sure the mechlab in this game eliminates the advantages of TT

Edited by Gimpy117, 23 February 2017 - 04:46 PM.

#5 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 23 February 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

that's true, you lose one gun and the other follows shortly. the major problem I feel is this mech is way to slow when engines are upgraded, and, when only going 70kmh vs. other mechs with a similar engine it's a little underwhelming the amount of protection the mech has for it's crawling speed.

that being said, if the lore says the urbie wasn't good...that's great and all, but lore is one things, games are another TT games are one thing...jokes aside...lets make it a little more viable just for the sake of game play

also above poster talked about armor in TT...how does that work? I'm sure the mechlab in this game eliminates the advantages of TT

Slowness isn't an issue when playing these gunboat lights. An Urbanmech travels as fast as a Kit Fox does, and weighs exactly the same. You can put some pretty big guns on the thing and get away with it. Play it like an assault's satellite sentrygun (i.e. medium skirmisher) instead of trying to imitate other lights, and you get good results. You tend to be ignored by other enemies so long as there are bigger targets around.

Ever tried the 2PPC Blaster Trashcan? It's amusing as all heck xD

UM-R60

56 glorious armour on CT after quirks! And your STs aren't half as bad either; 39 armour on a tiny light makes it very, very hard to kill, especially at range.

Edited by Fox With A Shotgun, 23 February 2017 - 04:53 PM.

#6 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:50 PM

View PostProbably Not, on 23 February 2017 - 04:39 PM, said:

The Urbie is not supposed to be a "tank".

The Urbie is not even supposed to be particularly good.

It was literally the cheapest way to put a large-bore Autocannon on legs for the purpose of controlling city blocks and denying territory to enemy mechs on a shoestring budget.

It's a ******* joke mech, for christ's sake. A voluntary-challenge mech.

As Fup says, all mechs should be useful. I love my Urbies, and I'm not concerned that they're pretty sucky, but leaving my personal feelings aside all mechs should be at least reasonably decent.

A lot of the Urbies issues will be helped at least a little bit with the upcoming decoupling of engine size to twist speed. Urbies suffer here, as at best they have the agility profile of a large heavy. If they downgrade (or more accurately, don't upgrade enough) their engine, this gets even worse, and they start handling like an Assault. For an already fairly slow light, that basically breaks them.

Now, this decoupling won't make Urbies significantly better, but at least it'll improve them. I'll take what I can get :)

#7 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 23 February 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the mechlab in this game doesn't eliminate the disadvantage of all variants coming with a ridiculously small motor. Max armor on a light mech doesn't do much good when it moves slower than most heavies.

#8 Dark Wooki33 IIC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Demon
  • The Demon
  • 379 posts
  • LocationBlessed Saxony

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:52 PM

Posted Image

#9 Dirus Nigh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:11 PM

I have no problem tanking like a boss with my urbies. You got to know how to roll that torso.

#10 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:14 PM

I'd say just give a large armor boost to the ballistic arm (20 points like the kit fox gets on its 2 ballistic+2 energy arm). Its laser builds already allow it to be a 5 ton lighter Raven with better hitboxes and its ballistic builds are basically a joke anyway. Its bad form to just go and shoot the cannon off of those poor urbies who still bring one.

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:22 PM

View PostBilbo, on 23 February 2017 - 04:51 PM, said:

Unfortunately, the mechlab in this game doesn't eliminate the disadvantage of all variants coming with a ridiculously small motor. Max armor on a light mech doesn't do much good when it moves slower than most heavies.

Urbie runs at 104.5 kph at max speed. Heavies do not run faster than that, and only mechs such as Quickdraw, Linebacker, and Dragon can run as equals. I'd appreciate it if you do not spread false info.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 February 2017 - 05:24 PM.

#12 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:27 PM

View PostDark Wooki33 IIC, on 23 February 2017 - 04:52 PM, said:

Posted Image

There you go. It does have extra armor. But I wouldn't be against giving it more. It's slower than other lights. It can't bring enough firepower to be competitive with other lights. It's only saving grace is that it's smaller than most.

#13 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:29 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 23 February 2017 - 05:27 PM, said:

There you go. It does have extra armor. But I wouldn't be against giving it more. It's slower than other lights. It can't bring enough firepower to be competitive with other lights. It's only saving grace is that it's smaller than most.

It's not actually smaller than most after the rescale hit it...

#14 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

It *appears* smaller due to its cylindrical profile. Having virtually no arms means that it doesn't stick out in any particular direction - hence making it appear small, no matter how you rotate.

#15 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 February 2017 - 05:33 PM

Still, while I know EOM screenshots are always gonna be cherrypicked, it's not like you can't do well.
Spoiler

It's funny, because I can't even do adequately in a Arctic Cheetah to save my life, but in an Urbanmech? Bring it!

#16 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:07 PM

View PostFupDup, on 23 February 2017 - 05:29 PM, said:

Whelp. Let's get quirken!

Those poor little trashcans need our help!

#17 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:39 PM

View PostPromessa, on 23 February 2017 - 06:27 PM, said:

It already has some of the best armor quirks in the game, relative to the total armor on the mech. They're usually low priority targets, I never really felt like it needed the armor it got anyway. It's actually pretty solid. Has high mounts and a higher than average level of firepower for a light. Just poke a lot and don't get caught out.

I don't really agree, it has a HUGE cannon if you put an ac 20 on it, but if you do a sensible build the firepower is alarmingly bad. I face light mechs with large lasers and mediums and all I can put on is three smalls and 2 ac 2's. honestly something is wrong here. those "best armor quirks in the game" mean squat when it's the slowest light mech in the game.

the best 2 ways to kill and urbie is use anything over 30 tons or just get right next to in in a mch that goes 130 kmh

Edited by Gimpy117, 23 February 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#18 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:43 PM

View PostProbably Not, on 23 February 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

>"sensible build"
>3 SLs, 2 AC2s
>"SENSIBLE BUILD"

You're ******* kidding me right?

what the heck else am I gonna put on it? I could go back to an ac10. you seem to get pigeonholed really fast i this mech due to tonnage problems

that aside it's currently the build that gets the most damage

Edited by Gimpy117, 23 February 2017 - 06:44 PM.

#19 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostProbably Not, on 23 February 2017 - 06:47 PM, said:

2 Medium Pulse, 4 MG.

thats one way to do it yeah, you know the ac2's fire like semi auto right? or is there a DPS difference?

#20 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 23 February 2017 - 07:13 PM

View PostGimpy117, on 23 February 2017 - 06:43 PM, said:

what the heck else am I gonna put on it? I could go back to an ac10. you seem to get pigeonholed really fast i this mech due to tonnage problems

that aside it's currently the build that gets the most damage

My screenshot last page was with 3MG, 2Flamers, and an ERPPC. Poke at range initially - you can fire that ERPPC all day - then rush in once things are damaged, use the flamers and MG's to tear stuff up, hitting choice bits with the erpeep while there.

3MG/2Flamer seems silly, but as a tough little "low priority" target in a brawl, you can shut people down and deal a lot of damage pretty quick.

Realistically it's probably better with, say, 2ML's or SPL's instead of the flamers, but I just LOVE trolling Supernova's as it stands. In the screen behind the EOM display, there's the remaining hostile Supernova, and I could just face tank him with the flamers and MG's. Any attempt to fire his lasers would just shut him down before they did any real damage.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users