10 replies to this topic

#1 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 26 February 2017 - 11:17 AM

I piggyback off Oldbob's video to ask the MWO Community to be nice and stay nice to new players to extend the life of the game in the coming of two new MW titles.

Bob's Video Experiment posing as a Tier 5 Player:

Edited by Stone Wall, 26 February 2017 - 11:18 AM.

#2 Tier5 Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

I remember when I was about tier 4 there was a lot more people using voice comms than in tier 2. It creates a fairly warm enviroment. Not that people are really that hostile in tier 2 either.

I can't say people should use voice comms as I don't myself have a mic headset, but it is nice when people do.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 01:19 PM

at some point in the future im going to start a joystick account. im only going to mech with my joystick. mouse forbidden. it would require me to fix my fighterstick gimbals first (much reverse engineering and 3d printing required), but i will do it.

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 26 February 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

I remember when I was about tier 4 there was a lot more people using voice comms than in tier 2. It creates a fairly warm enviroment. Not that people are really that hostile in tier 2 either.

I can't say people should use voice comms as I don't myself have a mic headset, but it is nice when people do.

i went and got me a bluetooth earpiece on ebay for $10. i use it to hear what people are saying over my SLAYER PLAYLIST but i seldom use the mic part, unless im drunk, high, or in one of my very rare good moods.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2017 - 01:20 PM.

#4 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 07:30 PM

View PostTeer Kerensky, on 26 February 2017 - 12:29 PM, said:

I find it funny when people say "what's up" at the countdown screen but never use their mics again in battle.

#5 a gaijin

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationUS Naval Base, Yokosuka, Japan

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:12 PM

I find QP a mixed bag but overall it seemed to me like more people were using in-game voice comms when I was tier 3.

I heartily agree with OP that players in general ought to exercise common courtesy. The reporting system is there for reporting Trolls/TKers and others undesirables.
As a general rule of thumb for myself, I'm silent on voice comms except to pass on target info, enemy location, and priority targets. After being killed if spectating I do find myself complimenting people's gunnery skills and also passing enemy location info though viewing it from someone else's cockpit.
Though I admit when gaming drunk I'm overly chatty on the comms :P

#6 Clanner Scum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 338 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:38 PM

The games got a healthy population so I think all the concern is illegitimate. But that's not to say we shouldn't treat new players with respect. All players, new or old, should be treated with respect. I certainly do my part to help new players in any way I can.

#7 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:51 PM

I did one of those stock mech challenges and it was usually very friendly down in t5 land.

People lose the novelty of stomping around in mechs and start crystallizing on the wins kills and damage after a while.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

View PostStone Wall, on 26 February 2017 - 07:30 PM, said:

I find it funny when people say "what's up" at the countdown screen but never use their mics again in battle.

you notice when someone is really good at calling drops, their scores are often lower than the other players in the team. mostly because fighting the big picture war takes a lot of your mental capacity that you are not putting into your fights. you actually have to drill on things like calling targets and using the nato phonetic to be able to make useful calls. you try to burn that into muscle memory until it becomes automatic. then come tactics which are much more dynamic and require much thought to create plans which in turn require frequent adjustment as the match unfolds.

i tend to roll my eyes at people who say "get a mic", as if its that easy. any idiot can throw money at a problem. you must also be willing and able to use it effectively. i have problems with both of those, and if i say anything at all there is a questionable substance at play. failing at social interaction is why i took up games in the first place. its an escape from the mentally exhausting job of communicating with other meatbags.

when i play for fun using my mic is the last thing on my list. probibly not the best thing for a quasi competitive teamplay oriented game, but at least i dont bring lerm boats and have learned how aiming works when i came into fp. if someone takes on the mantle of leadership and the rest of the team actually accept them as leader (between this and actually having a caller, this is the rarer of the 2, ive seen good commanders bomb out because nobody wants to listen), thats where the magic happens.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 February 2017 - 09:55 PM.

#9 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:14 AM

View PostStone Wall, on 26 February 2017 - 11:17 AM, said:

I piggyback off Oldbob's video to ask the MWO Community to be nice and stay nice to new players to extend the life of the game in the coming of two new MW titles.

Bob's Video Experiment posing as a Tier 5 Player:

I agree my friend its the community of us the players that try to build a better community for the new players as with so many games coming out soon like "Battletech Online" and "Mechwarrior 5" so many players will leave for those games and leave MWO in the dust or discarded like so much trash.

Help the new players that come into the game. I know from experience i've played World of Tanks for about 3 years now and I stopped because of the Toxic community out there if you make a mistake they hound you for it. If you didnt kill 12 tanks by yourself they will call you all sorts of vile names. I even had one guy threaten my life and my familys life and was going to find where I live and murder my cats and feed them to me because I didnt get to the timer on time.

Now I know that makes me not want to play and forget about World of Tanks and when the player base of MWO falls below a level and everyone sees it now with T5 Players being put into T1 games because of a low player base there are problems with the game.

I know rage quit and I know about being pissed off at a game and if you feel like going off on some guy because he didnt cap fast enough then take a step back and rethink why you play the game in question. Why are you getting pissed off and yelling at the poor T5 guy for not knowing anything. Why dont you try to explain what to do and teach him so next time you play with him he will do what you suggested. Because if you yell and go into child zone then you wont see him anymore and one less player for the game and enough of the "T1 *******" then all the people that will be playing will be you and some others playing with each other.

T5 experience part 2 coming in a couple of days..

#10 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:36 AM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 26 February 2017 - 09:51 PM, said:

I did one of those stock mech challenges and it was usually very friendly down in t5 land.

People lose the novelty of stomping around in mechs and start crystallizing on the wins kills and damage after a while.

I did that in MechWarrior 3. Once I started to git gud, I wore myself out chasing stats in the Combat Zone. I would play 2 hours in the morning before school then as much as possible after school. That's what the picture in my banner is.

After the MSN Gaming Zone went down, I missed the game way more than chasing the stats. Since then I've always viewed any other MechWarrior game I've played as "just for fun." The only time in MWO I didn't play for fun was during the Lights Fight Event/Getting out of Tier 5. I did the grind to place on the Jenner board then got out of Tier 5.

I don't play MWO too often, I'm about to play more, but I definitely do not feel the need to grind the XP PSR bar. What I'm wanting to do is has fun. So when a few people blast me for not maxing this or quirking that out or doing this instead of that or playing this meta or that meta, I look for the real advice in their rage and go from there. If the advice rage conflicts with me having fun, I don't change.

Being in the MechWarrior community since 1999, I know it's easy for some people to fly off the handle when others aren't playing "the right way." It's easy to get mad at new people because you feel as if you're going to lose. I hear there are clans here that train people - that's great. If you lose because of a new person, it's ok it's a game. But let's help new players out near the end of what could be MWO's peak after something like 3-4 years.

Trust me, you can both hate on PGI and help new players out. But don't channel that Dev rage onto new players.

#11 Oldbob10025

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 831 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOldfolks home

Posted 27 February 2017 - 04:44 AM

As long as you have fun and know its just a game and also be a positive person you will do very well in anything you do in life. Its the people that stress over a game is what worries me about them. I always thought games were to be fun? But thats just me.

Dont get me wrong I get stressed out sometimes on the games that I play but I just take a step back and leave it for a while then come back when i'm feeling less stressed out. Its how you deal with things in life is the outcome of what you will achieve.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users