Can Someone Explain The Sudden Increase In Locust?

43 replies to this topic

#21 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Alright, going by the dictionary you seem to have a point! Posted Image

And i agree, using raw numbers in the end is more reliable. However, i think the original post referring to this statistic, at least my reference to these kind of numbers is to illustrate what the locust is capable of. In that light, i believe the averages don't do the locust performance enough justice. These kind of high damage games are not that rare like when the sun, moon, earth and mars all align and when christmas and easter are both on the same day. I see these numbers quite often, often enough to view them no longer special - and if its not special... its normal in my book Posted Image

Opposite Word of special: "common, commonplace, indistinctive, normal, ordinary, undistinguished, unimportant, usual" - http://www.opposite-word.com/s/special

I understand this is subjective but i think we gave a reasonable description of the performance capabilities - i realise i dont have a strong argument without statistics so you just have to believe me lol

Edited by B3R3ND, 06 March 2017 - 08:11 AM.

#22 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:32 AM

View PostZergling, on 06 March 2017 - 07:54 AM, said:

... as it'd be biased selection to discard the results of the other battles and pretend they don't happen ...

Well, its not that uncommon to filter out the extremes to give a better representation of something. Perhaps the <100 damage games were discarded but so are the 1k+ damage games. In this case it was not really so that top damage figures were given as if they were happening every day. 600+ damage games are on a daily basis.

Not going to comment on "thats what people people do when they want to make themselves appear to be better than they actually are", so i will leave it here...

#23 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

Is fine zerglings just mad at me cause I've killed him a few times in a 1v1 and passed him a few times on the boards.....

It's cool I'm use to haters

#24 Zergling

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:19 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Well, its not that uncommon to filter out the extremes to give a better representation of something. Perhaps the <100 damage games were discarded but so are the 1k+ damage games. In this case it was not really so that top damage figures were given as if they were happening every day. 600+ damage games are on a daily basis.

The problem is, any selective filtering is subject to bias, and quite heavy amounts of it, so such claims based on selective evidence are worse than worthless, because there is no equal reference to compare the claims against.

It's why statistical evidence is king; it isn't subject to such bias. It can influenced by factors like playing in groups, using OP mechs etc, but those factors are predictable and can be detected to some extent.

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 08:32 AM, said:

Not going to comment on "thats what people people do when they want to make themselves appear to be better than they actually are", so i will leave it here...

It's common and quite normal human behaviour. Most people aren't even aware they are doing it when they do it.

Edited by Zergling, 07 March 2017 - 03:12 AM.

#25 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:01 AM

Never was it my intent to boost my stats by discarding extremes, merely to express the locust capabilties on a regular basis. Because the word "normal" was used it suddenly becomes something that has to be proven...?

Anyway, if you come up with a formula that shows the locust potential and does justice to its extreme character of high risk / high reward im willing to provide statistical input and im sure a few others wouldnt mind sharing their stats "for sience sake" as well.

Edit: nvm about the formula, i will try to keep record of the number of 600+ games in a locust . Compare to the total games in that same period for a locust should give good indication how rare it really is.

Edit 2: not sure if i want to commit myself into stat tracking like that, but that seems the way to really prove it. Untill then all i have is my opnion and observations ;)

Edited by B3R3ND, 06 March 2017 - 10:12 AM.

#26 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:42 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 10:01 AM, said:

Never was it my intent to boost my stats by discarding extremes, merely to express the locust capabilties on a regular basis. Because the word "normal" was used it suddenly becomes something that has to be proven...?

Anyway, if you come up with a formula that shows the locust potential and does justice to its extreme character of high risk / high reward im willing to provide statistical input and im sure a few others wouldnt mind sharing their stats "for sience sake" as well.

Edit: nvm about the formula, i will try to keep record of the number of 600+ games in a locust . Compare to the total games in that same period for a locust should give good indication how rare it really is.

Edit 2: not sure if i want to commit myself into stat tracking like that, but that seems the way to really prove it. Untill then all i have is my opnion and observations Posted Image

It takes a fair number of battles to produce a good sample, I'd say 30 battles at a minimum for that.

I don't find that kind of data useful though, because what matters is the averages, as they represent the overall performance. Damage isn't the only stat to be used for analysing performance though; it should be considered with W/L, K/D and K/B all at the same time.

As for why I responded to Burning2nd in the first place, it is because I saw him as making a claim of being a much better player than the statistical evidence says he is.
Such claims should be politely refuted when they occur, as many players use their performance for arguments from authority to back up various opinions related to the game. When people make false/misleading claims about their performance, they are giving false authority to their opinions, which can fool people that don't check to see if the person genuinely does have a good understanding of the game.

#27 Knighthawk26

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 131 posts
  • LocationBlack Forest

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:43 AM

A combination of things made the Locust popular. The most important factor is that they are very hard to hit after the resize made them so small. Also there are a lot of LRM boats being piloted by less experienced players these days, and a locust can get around behind these and wreck havoc. Also, at 20 tons this mech leaves lots of weight available in drop decks for other mechs and it is an effective light mech also.

I bought a pirates bane when it was on sale. And it has been a fun mech that can be good on any map, any mode, if played right.

#28 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 11:51 AM

View PostZergling, on 06 March 2017 - 10:42 AM, said:

It takes a fair number of battles to produce a good sample, I'd say 30 battles at a minimum for that.

I don't find that kind of data useful though, because what matters is the averages, as they represent the overall performance. Damage isn't the only stat to be used for analysing performance though; it should be considered with W/L, K/D and K/B all at the same time.

As for why I responded to Burning2nd in the first place, it is because I saw him as making a claim of being a much better player than the statistical evidence says he is.
Such claims should be politely refuted when they occur, as many players use their performance for arguments from authority to back up various opinions related to the game. When people make false/misleading claims about their performance, they are giving false authority to their opinions, which can fool people that don't check to see if the person genuinely does have a good understanding of the game.

First about the stats, i don't think i want to get into collecting that data just to backup my story - i know that you are aware that these kind of figures are very well possible with this mech. But i believe it also is very clear in this thread / in general that the locust is a challenging mech, high risk / high reward should be alarming enough for people unaware about but looking into this mech...

It was also clear to me that you called him out and refuted his statements but al tough you might have a case against his personal performance with the locust (maybe its not that normal to him to get these kinds of "high" damage games).
At the same time you also devaluated statements about the locust on it self and in that regard he still may have a point - and he did imo... after all we were discussing the popularity of the locust - not per se personal performance.

Maybe, going by your post - al tough your own light statistics doesn't really back that - you know a thing or two about the locust and you could / should have shared your observations and personal experience with this mech to put your respond / doubts into perspective?

Edited by B3R3ND, 06 March 2017 - 12:02 PM.

#29 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 12:57 PM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

First about the stats, i don't think i want to get into collecting that data just to backup my story - i know that you are aware that these kind of figures are very well possible with this mech. But i believe it also is very clear in this thread / in general that the locust is a challenging mech, high risk / high reward should be alarming enough for people unaware about but looking into this mech...

It was also clear to me that you called him out and refuted his statements but al tough you might have a case against his personal performance with the locust (maybe its not that normal to him to get these kinds of "high" damage games).
At the same time you also devaluated statements about the locust on it self and in that regard he still may have a point - and he did imo... after all we were discussing the popularity of the locust - not per se personal performance.

Maybe, going by your post - al tough your own light statistics doesn't really back that - you know a thing or two about the locust and you could / should have shared your observations and personal experience with this mech to put your respond / doubts into perspective?

See my Season 6 and 7 stats in light mechs; those are the most recent stats for my Locust play (except for 7 battles at the start of Season 8, which is mixed in with Arctic Cheetah and Kit Fox play for that Season).
I played the 1E and Pirate's Bane, averaged something like 437 damage/battle in them.

As for the Locust's performance, I find that it is a solid performer, but nothing exceptional; I do similarly good or better with my Arctic Cheetah and Kit Fox.
I suspect that more than anything, it is the relative cheapness of the mech that makes it popular.

Edited by Zergling, 06 March 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#30 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:43 PM

View PostZergling, on 06 March 2017 - 12:57 PM, said:

See my Season 6 and 7 stats in light mechs; those are the most recent stats for my Locust play (except for 7 battles at the start of Season 8, which is mixed in with Arctic Cheetah and Kit Fox play for that Season).
I played the 1E and Pirate's Bane, averaged something like 437 damage/battle in them.

As for the Locust's performance, I find that it is a solid performer, but nothing exceptional; I do similarly good or better with my Arctic Cheetah and Kit Fox.
I suspect that more than anything, it is the relative cheapness of the mech that makes it popular.

Well you played like 30 games in a light mech for season 6 and 10 games in season 7, thats not really a dedicated locust pilot, or am i wrong?

Anyway, thanks for your contribution to this thread by sharing your experience with the locust. An average of 437 damage per game, probably mostly focussed damage, is a good performance especially considering the locust is not the damage dealer but the precision killer.

#31 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

wow... we are here actually trying to justify what was said.. ?

If your word isnt worth anything... then you have a different problem in life, and its not anything to do with this video game..

take it or leave it... there was some truth to the thread though.. a few afk deaths, and lucky ct magic shots will effect your math formula "just a bit"

first page season 6 lights kills... did that in a locust PB
same for season 7 did that in a Pb....
2nd page season 8

I have to want to do it.. And i dont always want to do it.. sometimes like ive said in other threads.. Its about having fun... not being a master of the keyboard world... Im a master of other things in Real life... this game holds no weight,

#32 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

While I still had my Locust (before rescale) it was amazong. Small nimble fast all things wanted in a light mech. Plus it could put out some good damage. Seeing it after rescale it tis even better. Small enough to go to the crotch of a Mauler and it cant get shot by the Mauler. It is really amazing

#33 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

Read again slower sweetheart....

slower....

#34 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 03:04 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Well you played like 30 games in a light mech for season 6 and 10 games in season 7, thats not really a dedicated locust pilot, or am i wrong?

I spread my play across many different mechs and all 4 weight classes, so I typically won't have hundreds (or even a hundred) battles in a given mech.

I'll often master a mech, then only play the occasional handful of battles in it afterwards, depending on if it interests me enough.

Eg, this month I started off with 10 battles in my Urbanmech R63... which I did horribly with, only 216 average match score (and about 320ish damage/battle).
After that I played 10 in my Kit Fox Purifier, which is a light I somewhat enjoy playing.

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 01:43 PM, said:

Anyway, thanks for your contribution to this thread by sharing your experience with the locust. An average of 437 damage per game, probably mostly focussed damage, is a good performance especially considering the locust is not the damage dealer but the precision killer.

NP, I have noticed the damage per kill in my Locust is much lower than many other mechs; I tend to score kills with a good deal of efficiency when play it.

Edited by Zergling, 07 March 2017 - 03:11 AM.

#35 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

Just making this post to publicly apologise to Burnin2nd for being a jerkface McJerkFace to him. I've already apologised to him in PMs, but I feel a public apology is necessary.

I also deleted my posts where I attacked him, not to hide what I said, but because I sincerely regret making those posts.

#36 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:29 PM

It's the most common IS mech in existence... it's good to see a lot of them !

#37 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:21 PM

View PostB3R3ND, on 06 March 2017 - 11:51 AM, said:

While I have nothing to really say about the other couple of guys, under my Evil Goof account I have been trying hard to improve my light game and have been doing ok in mostly Jenner IIC'S (1 and 2) and Kit Foxes. Running up against you a lot as well as seeing your stats, I find you one of the harder to kill in a Locust. I feel like my light journey won't really be finished until I become semi competent in the Locust.

#38 Old-dirty B

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 380 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:03 AM

View PostMacClearly, on 15 March 2017 - 06:21 PM, said:

While I have nothing to really say about the other couple of guys, under my Evil Goof account I have been trying hard to improve my light game and have been doing ok in mostly Jenner IIC'S (1 and 2) and Kit Foxes. Running up against you a lot as well as seeing your stats, I find you one of the harder to kill in a Locust. I feel like my light journey won't really be finished until I become semi competent in the Locust.

Hey MC, good to hear you find my gameplay challenging!

The name "Evil Goof" does sounds familiar, im sorry that i cannot link it to a specific game or fight.

Did we dogfight and were we both in a locust? Last night i was piloting my Kitfox dual erppc mech and i did ran into a Locust PB and had a duel / dogfight on frozen city, was that you?

Later on i also had a few rounds in a Locust 1V, on Grim Plexus and one on Alpine Peaks were i pulled most of the light lance away towards our main-group, where you amongst them (i recall an oxide and a pair of phoenix hawks)?

Looking forward to meet again, i will lookout for Evil Goof Posted Image

Edited by B3R3ND, 16 March 2017 - 01:12 AM.

#39 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 16 March 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

The name "Evil Goof" does sounds familiar, im sorry that i cannot link it to a specific game or fight.

Did we dogfight and were we both in a locust? Last night i was piloting my Kitfox dual erppc mech and i did ran into a Locust PB and had a duel / dogfight on frozen city, was that you?

Later on i also had a few rounds in a Locust 1V, on Grim Plexus and one on Alpine Peaks were i pulled most of the light lance away towards our main-group, where you amongst them (i recall an oxide and a pair of phoenix hawks)?

No, I have not bought them yet... procrastinating. Evil Goof is, well evil so he only gets Clan mechs so the locusts will be showing up under this account.

As far as duels, I can't recall a specific one only that when I see you name on reds I take notice.

#40 MacClearly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 908 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:21 AM

View PostB3R3ND, on 16 March 2017 - 01:03 AM, said:

Thanks again. Been having a blast. Just finished Basics for PB and 1V is close. Typical so far for me has been 200-400 damage range but I have managed to steal a couple of kills. I figured that they would be a challenge. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users