#1 Rogard

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 October 2018 - 09:01 AM

PGI,

As a common discussion around the impacts of the LRMS and Nascar affects on maps, have you ever thought about adding a Game mode or even a specific Map feature for example like in Polar Highlands or what many call Polar LRM Lands, due to its size, add an effect of Orbital Bombardment might change the way this map is played and the pilot strategies. Random sectors will be called out for incoming bombardment, any mechs caught in these start taking splash damage of 10 dmg per tick while in these zones. Just for example say these last for 15 seconds, outputting 10 damage per second in zone, resulting in 150+ damage that could be taken.

I am providing this suggestion as a way to change behaviors in Mech Warriors on maps, always running to the same place to battle it out or camp and LRM. Instead, players have to learn to utilize more of the Maps features and scenery, which is missed due to these behaviors. I know some would say the Pub G effect but in Pub G the battlefield shrinks permanently, in this scenario specific zones become challenged and if you wanted to make it even more interesting the zone sizes could increase as every 5 minutes pass in the match but again after a set time they change and you get a 15 sec warning for these zones to clear.

Respectfully,
Mercenary Mech Pilot ~ Rogard

Edited by Rogard, 24 October 2018 - 09:05 AM.

#2 Throe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 11:57 AM

[delete by user]

Edited by Throe, 08 November 2018 - 03:39 PM.

#3 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:00 PM

Yes, nuke QP from orbit, nuke it like they nuked FP

#4 Rogard

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 24 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

The Bombardment would not be controlled by players it would be random.

#5 Rogard

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:24 AM

Long Tom is not what I am saying here either.

Long Tom Cannon is a heavy artillery piece made famous by the Long Tom Carrier SPG. The Long Tom was later adapted for use on 'Mechs. This weapon does a whopping 30 damage over a decent sized splash, and can annihilate most light 'Mechs with one direct hit. However, the Long Ton weighs a truly massive 30 tons (as much as a Spider!). A ton of ammo gives only five shells, so missing can be costly. Even the Atlas can only carry one of these fearsome weapons.

Orbital Bombardment could also be like mass Air Strikes in a zone where you see the ships flying in to bomb the zone and instead of red smoke its an alert to your comms to clear the zone and you get a short few seconds to clear or get caught in there and take damage. Also on the Map it would flag the zones under strike.

#6 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,574 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:00 AM

View PostRogard, on 24 October 2018 - 09:01 AM, said:

PGI,

As a common discussion around the impacts of the LRMS and Nascar affects on maps, have you ever thought about adding a Game mode or even a specific Map feature for example like in Polar Highlands or what many call Polar LRM Lands, due to its size, add an effect of Orbital Bombardment might change the way this map is played and the pilot strategies. Random sectors will be called out for incoming bombardment, any mechs caught in these start taking splash damage of 10 dmg per tick while in these zones. Just for example say these last for 15 seconds, outputting 10 damage per second in zone, resulting in 150+ damage that could be taken.

I am providing this suggestion as a way to change behaviors in Mech Warriors on maps, always running to the same place to battle it out or camp and LRM. Instead, players have to learn to utilize more of the Maps features and scenery, which is missed due to these behaviors. I know some would say the Pub G effect but in Pub G the battlefield shrinks permanently, in this scenario specific zones become challenged and if you wanted to make it even more interesting the zone sizes could increase as every 5 minutes pass in the match but again after a set time they change and you get a 15 sec warning for these zones to clear.

Respectfully,
Mercenary Mech Pilot ~ Rogard

I'm gonna say...
NO!

Here is a big reason as to why. What if you are a slow mech (say an assault that goes 40-50 KPH). You are directly in the middle of said called grid location. By the time you get "to safety", you'll most likely be dead... Even with 15 second warnings, it may not be enough (probably wouldn't be enough) time for such a slow mech to clear out.

If anything, having a blinding snow storm, which would force thermal vision, could sweep in from time to time. Said snow storm could also reduce sensor ranges (as though the target you are trying to lock (target lock, not missile lock) is under the effects of ECM, which reduces the ranges you can detect them at). This would have a dual effect of hindering sniping and long range missile attacks (without effecting mid range combat of around 600mish).

One thing players don't like it getting "mystery" damage, or damage that "can't be avoided". Random bombardments fall under this category. People didn't like Long Tom for that reason, and this thread's idea falls under the same classification.

#7 Rogard

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 31 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:08 AM

Tesunie,

I appreciate your contribution to this thread. Imagine though if there was enough time to get out of the way in an assault I would think this may have a viable option to change the methods of game play within matches.

#8 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,574 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:29 AM

View PostRogard, on 26 October 2018 - 10:08 AM, said:

Tesunie,

I appreciate your contribution to this thread. Imagine though if there was enough time to get out of the way in an assault I would think this may have a viable option to change the methods of game play within matches.

I'm going to continue to respectfully disagree. I don't think having "mystery" damage would be a good addition to the game. More environmental effect might be a better approach, things like thick fog, heavy rain, snow storms, etc would be more impactful. If it could be done well enough, it would force alternative visual modes to counter (which limits visual ranges). Some of these said effects could even make one rely more on sensors, and other effects could hamper sensors as well (making one rely more on alternative visual modes).

For example, fog could effect all visuals (being cool mist in the air, even thermal visions would be hampered), but sensors would be working as normal. Snow storms could effect vision (be countered by thermal) and might impact sensors ranges. Etc.

This provides more dynamic map effects, and makes playing on specific maps possibly more hazardous. The issue would be producing these visual environmental effects in a manner that doesn't impact game performance (frames per second). It would also add a layer of realism to the game and the maps.

Penalizing players via damage I don't believe would work, besides to annoy players. I know your intention would be to encourage more movement on maps. I don't believe your method is a good way to go about it.

#9 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:37 PM

Long Tom stole moi kills

#10 arther

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 03:49 PM

ya weather could help , A blinding blizzard hit's you march on then it clears , dran your in the middle of them . hand to hand combat now .

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users