Help Me

8 replies to this topic

#1 PulseBoy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:31 PM

Hello mechwarriors,

So after leaving this game a year or two ago for whatever the reason, I was reminded of this game again and I just had to come back to play.

I have no idea what kind of game it has become and what I should anticipate, but I figured I should ask for some advice so I don't get slaughtered.

Currently, the mechs I own are the CN9-A zombie mech, JMS-6 double gauss cannon build, JR7-F laser scout, and a free thunderbolt mech I earned from some reward a while ago.

If I remember correctly, last time I played, I had difficulty in my games due to burst laser mechs just pinning down my team while I struggled to get in range with my centurion and jenner. Or if I used my Jaeger, I would be so slow that if my team retreated or I tried to get behind cover, I would be bombarded quickly. Not to mention it was practically impossible to safely peak with how slow that thing moved.

What should I do to make my reintroduction to this game enjoyable? I have never spent any money on this game and got all my mechs through grinding, but I don't want to have weak mechs since they are old compared to all these fancy new ones...

Thanks!Posted Image

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 27 February 2017 - 07:55 PM

Dual gauss is a vicious build. As a light pilot, they're one of my most feared adversaries, along side the steak mech. If it's too slow, perhaps you can tweak the build?

As for the rest, everyone get's their enjoyment outta the game in different ways.

I tend to hold down the 'W' key until !!Fun!! is had. Many a new player has told me they do not enjoy that style of play, and I've a few friends who've stated "I love following you an seeing all these new path's in the map, but maaan, I'm never following you again!" due to my propensity to find the fight an get there quicker than the rest of my team.

Find what works for you, an have fun out there.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 27 February 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:12 AM

how fast was the dual gauss Jaeger?
I would recomend at minimum a 255 XL engine giving you 63.6kph before speed tweak, not cheep but it will at least allow you to keep up with the assualts.
Staying with the assualts in a build like that is a good idea anyway, if you have a choice of Dire Wolf, Kodiak, King Crab, Marauder IIC or Jagermech to shoot, you can alomst guarentee the JM6 will be the last killed.

#4 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:55 AM

View PostPulseBoy, on 27 February 2017 - 07:31 PM, said:

Hello mechwarriors,

So after leaving this game a year or two ago for whatever the reason, I was reminded of this game again and I just had to come back to play.

Wellcome back again Mechwarrior.

I have no idea what kind of game it has become and what I should anticipate, but I figured I should ask for some advice so I don't get slaughtered.

Currently, the mechs I own are the CN9-A zombie mech, JMS-6 double gauss cannon build, JR7-F laser scout, and a free thunderbolt mech I earned from some reward a while ago.

The basics of the game and gameplay is quite the same. There where no significant changes since closed beta.

Spring of last year where some changes to inner sphere mechs where their size/volume has been normalized depending on their tonnage.
Sadly all of your mechs suffered badly from this change.

The Centurion is still an okish brawler mech when you stay with your heavy and assault mechs beeing patient till the fight comes to you.
The Jager glasscannon is still what it was but got bigger and even more vulnerable. so take care and tweak your build.
The Jenner got bigger too so you will notice that movement not attacking head on got even more imperative than it was before.

If I remember correctly, last time I played, I had difficulty in my games due to burst laser mechs just pinning down my team while I struggled to get in range with my centurion and jenner. Or if I used my Jaeger, I would be so slow that if my team retreated or I tried to get behind cover, I would be bombarded quickly. Not to mention it was practically impossible to safely peak with how slow that thing moved.

So you are saying that you got only those three mechs and none of them is mastered right ?
Well there are good and bad news for you.

What should I do to make my reintroduction to this game enjoyable? I have never spent any money on this game and got all my mechs through grinding, but I don't want to have weak mechs since they are old compared to all these fancy new ones...

Thanks!Posted Image

First thing to get everything out of a mech is at least getting it to elite level. For this you need 3 different variants of the series.
For example your owned JM6-S, JM6-DD and JM6-A Jagermech. After having all basic skills unlocked on all three chassis will be able to invest xp into elite abilitys and after eliting 3heavy mechs of any kind you may unlock the master slot.

So the bad news is if you want to get the most out of your mech you need to buy other variants of the mech type.

The good news is that this is about to change.
The skill tree is worked over atm and will possibly be implemented in late march.

I wouldn't invest any money or cbills in anything atm since it will change in the very near future.

For playing around with builds and doing your own research on possible builds and loadouts use THIS TOOL
There you can explore and research all the mechs and variants that are in game.
Under mechlab you may assembel mech and try building without cost.

For questions on strategies and reassurance on builds just ask and please link your builds using the link option in the tool bar of this forums text editor and the "save and share" option (use the plain link and coppy paste into the link window of the forum) of smurfys,

Have fun and good hunting.

PS: A possible Result of assembling a Jager mech in smurfys: JM6-S GaussJager

Edited by The Basilisk, 28 February 2017 - 07:10 AM.

#5 PulseBoy

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:31 PM

Hello friends,

Thank you all for the welcome. I found my problem with my Jager based on what you said Basilisk. Currently, I am running four medium lasers on my Jager which only lets me use an XL210. My top speed was like 52.3 Km/H lol.

I'll try tweaking that and see where it gets me. For the skill tree and pilot skills... I know absolutely nothing about them and never knew them even in the beta.

Is there a wiki where the skills are explained as well as the innersphere vs. clan mechs? I never got introduced to them and am really confused.

Also, you said to get the elite mastery, you need three of a specific type of mech. Is that possible to do without money? I only have 5 mechbays available and I don't want to be running three of the same mech type. Not to mention mech bays cost money.

I don't mind spending on this game, but I also don't want to be forced to.

Thanks!

#6 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:31 PM

View PostPulseBoy, on 28 February 2017 - 04:31 PM, said:

Also, you said to get the elite mastery, you need three of a specific type of mech. Is that possible to do without money? I only have 5 mechbays available and I don't want to be running three of the same mech type. Not to mention mech bays cost money.

I don't mind spending on this game, but I also don't want to be forced to.

Thanks!

Yes, you can purchase the other variants with c-bills you earn in game. If you only want to keep one but you want to max the skills you need to purchase two others and do the basics on them. If you haven't mastered anything in that weight bracket yet you'll also have to elite them.

Then you can max the one you want and sell the others.

The new system will get rid of the 3 mech requirement but thats still a few months out.

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:29 PM

Thanks!Posted Image

EZ fix if you want to spend $:

Buy the base Kodiak pack. ($20???) if i remember.

KDK-3 with 2UAC5+2UAC10 is a beast and will be for a long time unless PGI re-nerfs clan UAC. The hardpoints make the mech.
KDK-1 is a fun SPL or MPL brawler
KDK-2 is...different but still good.

Sell off 2 XL400 engines for lots of Cbills.

Outfit the KDK-3

Then buy a Locust-E, a XL180 engine. Then a Locust S and some other variant to round it out.

Locusts are pretty much THE is Light right now. Potatoes in Solo have trouble hitting them and they are fun.

After you kit your Locusts, re-visit the KDK-3 and get you PPFLD game going with 2Gauss+2ERPPC.

All that for $20.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:17 AM

it is true Locusts are hard to hit, and outgun several heavier Lights, however they are very fragile, if someone manages a solid hit on the Locust it is usualy out of the fight, if not outright destroyed.
the Jenner is still a pretty good Light, and these days the best Light is probably the Arctic Cheetah, with good hitboxes for spreading damage (the Spider has better) good mobility with jumpjets (again Spider can be better) fairly fast (Spider, Commando, Locust, Jenner, Jenner IIC, Firestarter, Raven and Wolfhound can all be faster) and the ability to mound good firepower for a Light (only surpassed by the Firestarter), and finaly the ability to mount an ECM (about half the Lights have at least 1 ecm capable varient, but the ACH along with Kit Fox and Myst Lunx can mount it on any varient thanks to being Clan Omnimechs)

now for the requested summary of the diferances between Clan and IS Tech

Clan weapons compaired to IS usualy have 2-3 of the following advantages, lighter, more compact, longer range, higher damage per shot.
IS weapons compaired to Clan usualy have the following advantages, shorter discharge time (shorter burn time for lasers, single shot as opposed to burst fire for most ACs, fire all in 1 go vs in a stream for LRMs), higher rate of fire (mostly due to the longer discharge time, weapons do not start to reload/recharge until they have finished discharfing), lower heat,

that may not sound like much but having to hold a laser on target 33% longer means you are much more likely to spread the damage or miss with some of it, and an Inner Sphere AC20 is 1 solid hit for 20 damage, as opposed to 4 shells each dealing 5 damage over 1 second with the Clan AC20 also the heat diferance is significant.

a lot of Clan equipment is lighter and/or more compact than the IS equivelant

Clans have both Omnimechs and Battlemechs, the IS only has Battlemechs.
the Mechs you have are all Battlemechs so I will not explain how they work, I will just explain the diferance with Omnimechs.

Omnimechs have a fixed base configuration, meaning you cannot change engines, armor or structure types, or heatsink type,
many also have other equipment ether hardlocked to the chassis or locked to omnipods, this equipment includes Jumpjets (locked to the omnipod, only way to remove them is to find a pod without any, many Mechs do not have pods without, and many do not have pods with) Active probes, heatsinks, and while this is no longer the case when first released the Adder had a fixed flamer, as every varient had a flamer in the CT.

With all those limits on Customisation why would anyone take omnimechs over Battlemechs?
Weapon hardpoints are linked to the Omnipod, that means if your Mech has no missile hardpoints if any varient has them you can borrow (if you own the other varient) or purchase the pod from that other varient (unless it is the Center torso which is fixed) to put it on your Mech.

lets say you purchased the TBR-Prime which does not have Jumpjets, and only has 2 Balistic hardpoints but you want as many Machine Guns as possible, and also want it to jump, the TBR-S has Jumpjets and a Balistic hardpoint in the left torso, and the TBR-C has a B hardpoint on the RA, so taking those hardpoints you have this, a jumping Timber with 4 B hardpoints, 3 M hardpoints and 2 E hardpoints, this gives you a lot more freedom with weapon loadouts.

unfortunately this means Clan Mechs usualy have a much higher initial purchase price than IS Mechs, but by the time you have fully upgraded an IS Mech including a big XL engine, Endo Steel structure, and Double Heat Sinks the prices tend to be pretty close between Clan and IS Mechs, however you can use that expensive (usualy 4-6 million cbill) XL engine on multiple Battlemechs (by removing it from one and putting it on another), meaning in the long term IS Mechs (most Clan Mechs are omnis) can be cheeper, but just outfitting 1 will cost about the same as an Omnimech.

the Clans do have Battlemechs, the Supernova, Kodiak, and anything with -IIC in its name, anything with a -Prime varient is an Omnimech

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 01 March 2017 - 03:25 AM.

#9 Ragnahawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 645 posts
  • LocationAce in RVN-3L, HBK-4P, CDA-2A, AS7-S, BNC-3M, Won Top Dog Tourny.. Those are my bests

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:09 AM

Go to mechspecs.com. Build your mech to a build that looks good for you while taking the quirks into consideration. (Don't waste your time with builds that look like complete cheese). Next, proceed into pug match. Then seek to minimize the enemy's visibility of you to just one mech. So if your looking at the mech you want to kill, put a wall between you and those other guys so they can't provide support. Lastly, if your running mediums and lights, do not sacrifice armor for the team unless you have no weapons. Stand behind or beside those big guys, so they can share their armor. Do those things and you won't get slaughtered. If you run into a situation where the enemy team is going to push right over you, the best thing to do is to run right and straight past the enemy. If they turn, so be it. Make them work for it, and distract them so your team can capitalize on it. If you manage to slip through, start hacking mechs from behind. Get those free kills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users