Which Strategy As A Solo Loyalist Would Be Better?

14 replies to this topic

#1 Bleit

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 28 February 2017 - 01:51 PM

Fairly new solo Steiner loyalist here, so please excuse me if this is an incredibly stupid question.

I don't currently have the time in my real life to join a real dedicated unit, but when I do play, I favor organized communicative playing over the usual QP PUG chaos that often happens. As I understand it, my current options in FP are:

-Keep playing as a solo loyalist and drop with randos against randos (though one time for some reason the other side was 8 members of KCOM and of course they obliterated us).

-Become a unit of one, and fill in the gaps in unit drops of groups smaller than 12.

I understand that doing the latter will mean play against way better teams and it will be much harder, but I predict there is the possibility that my side will also be good, and my cooperation would make for a more team based experience. What has been the experience of the vets here? I don't want to be a PITA to true units trying to only play against other units, but some coordination is nice from time to time.

Also, please correct me if the queue system doesn't even work this way.

Edited by Bleit, 28 February 2017 - 01:54 PM.

#2 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:02 PM

You can join "casual" units where there may not be hundreds of players to drop with, but you might make some friends...

There is only 1 queue for FP so you are always better off grouping up and organizing where possible.

Edited by MovinTarget, 28 February 2017 - 02:04 PM.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:10 PM

Most units are casual... Play once a day or once a week, they don't care.

Steiner is a dead faction, they all gave up cause they couldn't torso twist or work out decent tactics. I'd suggest finding a unit that is IS loyalist (if that's what you really want) and pick a contract accordingly.

#4 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts
  • LocationQueensland, Australia

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:50 PM

House Steiner isn't completely dead, LoDD is a dedicated Steiner Unit that has some decent players, it's quite often we have 6+ on for semi organised FP also. As of a few days ago we were ranked 24th for IS units in FP, (could be a little higher or lower by now). We are fairly casual and will help you optimize your weapon layouts for best performance.

Look for myself, rebellyblack, or chaothulu in game if you are interested in running with us.

#5 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:55 PM

The point is, find people to play with so that even when they are killin ya (b/c/ it happens to all of us at some point), you have friends to laugh it off with...

#6 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:35 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 28 February 2017 - 02:55 PM, said:

The point is, find people to play with so that even when they are killin ya (b/c/ it happens to all of us at some point), you have friends to laugh it off with...

^^ This guy gets it

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:58 PM

Yep, Movin is 100% on the money.

View PostEl Contego, on 28 February 2017 - 02:50 PM, said:

House Steiner isn't completely dead, LoDD is a dedicated Steiner Unit that has some decent players, it's quite often we have 6+ on for semi organised FP also. As of a few days ago we were ranked 24th for IS units in FP, (could be a little higher or lower by now). We are fairly casual and will help you optimize your weapon layouts for best performance.

Look for myself, rebellyblack, or chaothulu in game if you are interested in running with us.

One unit of a few players does not make an active faction of loyalists :P

But yes, LoDD are certainly out and about but I can't think of many more in US that are?

#8 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Also, remember that as of right now, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GROUP WITH STEINER ONLY.

This is great, because you can hop on the FRR hub (probably the most active IS Teamspeak right now) and group up with anyone that is IS...

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Indeed - I am thinking ahead, if there is a IS vs IS event, then if he joins a unit that is loyalist Liao - he won't be able to ply with said unit etc.

It's easier just to align with who you are playing with (for any future, maybe never, PGI improvements)

#10 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:20 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 February 2017 - 06:10 PM, said:

Indeed - I am thinking ahead, if there is a IS vs IS event, then if he joins a unit that is loyalist Liao - he won't be able to ply with said unit etc.

It's easier just to align with who you are playing with (for any future, maybe never, PGI improvements)

fair enough, though I would say, for now.... multiple months of flexible grouping outweigh a week of worrying about being pigeon-holed...

ugh, that sounded dirty...

Edited by MovinTarget, 28 February 2017 - 06:40 PM.

#11 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 28 February 2017 - 07:57 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 28 February 2017 - 06:00 PM, said:

Also, remember that as of right now, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GROUP WITH STEINER ONLY.

This is great, because you can hop on the FRR hub (probably the most active IS Teamspeak right now) and group up with anyone that is IS...

This is awesome advice, I joined a Steiner teamspeak and there were maybe 3 people online. I am going to try this out, thank you!

#12 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:42 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 28 February 2017 - 05:58 PM, said:

Yep, Movin is 100% on the money.

One unit of a few players does not make an active faction of loyalists Posted Image

But yes, LoDD are certainly out and about but I can't think of many more in US that are?

Haha, yes this is true, gone are the glory days for Steiner, now it is but a few trying to keep Steiner's name proud :( Even our Unit does struggle to keep our active numbers up, we usually end up joining with some LIAO units and other randoms to make up drop squads now.

Steiner still lives for now, and whilst my units mechs walk proud on the battlefield, we will not be forgotten!

#13 Journeyman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 116 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:55 PM

View PostEl Contego, on 01 March 2017 - 12:42 PM, said:

Haha, yes this is true, gone are the glory days for Steiner, now it is but a few trying to keep Steiner's name proud Posted Image Even our Unit does struggle to keep our active numbers up, we usually end up joining with some LIAO units and other randoms to make up drop squads now.

Steiner still lives for now, and whilst my units mechs walk proud on the battlefield, we will not be forgotten!

There are other loyalist Steiner units including my own who have dropped alongside LoDD and continue to be active, but not in large populations. Between dissatisfaction with the game and the utter disregard by PGI for ANY loyalist faction unit, there are few true loyal units in any of the IS Houses as far as I know; however, the Steiner Hub is frequented by a number of psuedo-loyal merc groups who trade contracts frequently, so we do get faction play groups going regularly. This is probably true of any IS Faction Hub (FRR has put forth a great effort) interested in inviting other IS pilots into coordinated drops.

Until being a loyalist actually means something, most of us who remain loyal do so out of nostalgia and the people we prefer to group with. For the OP, feel free to window shop around the Hub TeamSpeaks and find a group to drop and have fun with. The loyalist part shouldn't interfere.

#14 Cpt Contego

• PipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostJourneyman, on 01 March 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Until being a loyalist actually means something

Wow, wouldn't it be great if there were Faction and individual Clan specific bonuses, whether it be minor C-Bill bonuses to minor Quirks, Discounts on parts etc. (Very small bonuses as to not break the already broken game). Just something/anything would be a pretty cool little addition..

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 01 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

What it needs is the faction tree to go past rank 20 for one thing, that is the first big one as most loyalists are all rank 20 or not far off etc.

Quirks per faction won't happen, it's a mine field.

An easy one would be killing Clan mechs (as loyalist) gives more Loyalty points against when a Merc does etc. Small things that give some bonus to being loyalist once you max bar.

Otherwise the actual loyalty tree is pretty good (if starting out) for rewards. It just takes ages above rank 15, same as Rank 8 Merc is slows hardcore

Edited by justcallme A S H, 01 March 2017 - 06:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users