Is It Normal To Only Pick Bad Teams?

38 replies to this topic

#21 HiAndromon

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 48 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 02:00 PM

View PostJables McBarty, on 04 March 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

I just saw you in a match a couple hours ago.

I'm tier 2, so if you're tier 5, that means you're probably experiencing a lot of unbalanced or mixed-skill matches.

EDIT: Grammar.

I'm in the end of tier 4 now, it doesn't appear to be getting higher, even if i'm winning.

#22 MaxxQ

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:11 PM

Another bit of advice I can suggest, being a semi-n00b myself (playing for 5 weeks now), is if you die and decide to spectate, offer advice to someone you might see not doing things well or right.

For example, I died about halfway through a match earlier today, and as usual, decided to spectate to see what I might be able to learn from better players (I'm still T5, but edging closer to T4). Noticed a guy in a Stalker (I think) loaded with LRMs and MLs. He was shooting at targets with LRMs, but wasn't locking them up (pressing R) and getting the missile lock. I got on the comms and told him what to do, but by that time, he had something like 5 mechs on top of him.

Point is, even being a n00b, you can offer advice that could probably help others even more n00b than you. That's the start of good teamwork.

If they ignore you, or mouth off to you, then to hell with them and move on. They'll either eventually learn the hard way and get better (and maybe start appreciating teamwork), or they'll ragequit the game for good, sparing the rest of us from their ignorance. I really hope I helped that guy out, and maybe his gameplay has improved.

Edit: When I first started playing, I listened and heeded every bit of chatter I could hear. It really helped me out of a couple of potential binds, and I've learned a lot just listening and watching when spectating. I'm still not all that great, but I'm definitely improving.

Although, you might notice the "Bridesmaid" under my generic userpic. I got that title for the "Seriously?!" achievement (get highest damage in a single match with 0 kills). I was tickled pink when that popped up after a match I played today. I've always tried to play for the team and not for myself, so lots of damage but no kills still helps, because it's that much LESS damage your teammates have to dish out to get a kill.

Edited by MaxxQ, 05 March 2017 - 10:20 PM.

#23 aGentleWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 254 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:07 AM

uuuh I remember uch questios from former World OF tanks days...

#24 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Speak up early and during the game.

If you are playing a light mech for example, make sure you join the assaults etc and often others will follow.

#25 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:13 AM

I cant stand the complaining of "bad team" its almost as anyoing as when someone types out commands..
Or complains after death..

#useURvoip

#26 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 09:24 AM

I mean honestly why even play you dont use your mic,

If your mom doesn't allow you to use the mic on the internet then just say so ...

#27 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:34 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 07 March 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

If your mom doesn't allow you to use the mic on the internet then just say so ...

LOL!!!!

Honestly though this is a peeve of mine. I try to make it a point to talk at the start of every match. Sometimes people answer & BAM there is communication through most of the match others no one answers so I keep my peace & play the match as a lone wolf but what burns my biscuits is when someone wont say a thing & then decide to get on a rage after they died. It typically goes like this "This team sux, no teamwork or support". Im like, at what point did you actually say something?? If you cant sound off on what you are seeing or where help/teamwork is needed then stay quiet after you bought the farm.
The especially charming ones will jump into your cockpit then & tell you what you are doing wrong. This is especially good coming from the guy that was the 1st one dead & went down doing double digit damage. LOL

Seriously though. if you are going to play MWO you NEED a mic & you need to actually talk on it.
You want to set it up so its push to talk. Nothing more irritating for the rest of us then for you to have a hot mic so we get to listen to your wifes soaps or the kids fighting as we play.

#28 Jables McBarty

• 1,035 posts
  • LocationIn the backfield.

Posted 10 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

View PostBurnin2nd, on 07 March 2017 - 09:24 AM, said:

I mean honestly why even play you dont use your mic,

View PostAmatsukaze, on 08 March 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

Seriously though. if you are going to play MWO you NEED a mic & you need to actually talk on it.
You want to set it up so its push to talk. Nothing more irritating for the rest of us then for you to have a hot mic so we get to listen to your wifes soaps or the kids fighting as we play.

There are many valid reasons to not use a 'mic, among others "I just don't feel like it."

Don't get me wrong--I have a mic and I use it in 90% of games, but sometimes, "I just don't feel like it."

Of course, I acknowledge that when I choose to play on silent mode, I cannot--and do not--complain when I lose, or die, or people do stupid s***.

But still. For some people, playing a video game and blowing s*** up is a way to unwind away from other people, so they just don't feel like talking to more other people.

#29 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:07 AM

I under stand that there are the i just dont feel like it times.. i have them...

but for what its worth if you dont communicate... your more likely to loose and die, and taking your hands off the controls to type is not ok... It is ok IF YOU ARE DEAD ONLY

so if you dont talk... and then you loose... don't decide to talk after your dead... or blame people after your dead

I love it when you ask if there is anyone out there... no one responds... then when the team starts dieing someone chimes in and starts saying how you should have done this....

Its like where the hell where you 4 min ago?

View PostAmatsukaze, on 08 March 2017 - 08:34 AM, said:

LOL!!!!

Honestly though this is a peeve of mine. I try to make it a point to talk at the start of every match. Sometimes people answer & BAM there is communication through most of the match others no one answers so I keep my peace & play the match as a lone wolf but what burns my biscuits is when someone wont say a thing & then decide to get on a rage after they died. It typically goes like this "This team sux, no teamwork or support". Im like, at what point did you actually say something?? If you cant sound off on what you are seeing or where help/teamwork is needed then stay quiet after you bought the farm.
The especially charming ones will jump into your cockpit then & tell you what you are doing wrong. This is especially good coming from the guy that was the 1st one dead & went down doing double digit damage. LOL

i wish there was a report button for awesomeness... cause i would report this **** out of this for how god damn right on you are... this is what i was talking about to the point... thumbs up man

#30 The Jerol

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern California (Inner Sphere)

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:26 AM

As far as the OP is concerned -- I had a run where I lost 28 of 31 games -- just horrid teams (that I was a part of) where no amount of communication on my part seemed to matter. The advice here is great and I've used all of it in an attempt to improve my gameplay, but sometimes you just get teams that don't want to talk or don't want to follow any kind of plan. When that happens, I try to identify what I did wrong and focus on that. If I am at all frustrated, I log off for a while and try again later. I definitely feel that you can go on tilt in this game and start pressing -- which rarely ends well.

TJ

Edited by The Jerol, 10 March 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#31 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 10 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

View PostThe Jerol, on 10 March 2017 - 09:26 AM, said:

What are these rankings based on exactly?

Hey Jerol! Havent seen you on in awhile.

IMO the leaderboards should be taken with a grain of salt when viewing other ppls score. You don't know what their play style is moreover the leaderboard is more representive of how much someone plays. I have looked at the top slots & its not uncommon for them to have very mediocre stats but they play ALLOT. I think it must add up total score as opposed to total effectiveness.

In regards to playstyle. I have seen people farming their KD ratio. They hang back & wait till most of the other team is beat up then charge in fresh. By the same token there are those that play to the teams goals & not their own consequently their KD may be much lower.

I see the leaderboard as nothing more then a reference of my own performance. I don't bother looking at anyone elses because you don't know the whole story.

#32 The Jerol

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 59 posts
  • LocationNorthern California (Inner Sphere)

Posted 10 March 2017 - 10:13 PM

The leaderboards default to displaying pilots in order of total wins -- which obviously doesn't reflect skill, but rather most games played. You can sort it based on any of the stats, however, if that's your thing... I would think average match score would be best, but I'm not certain.

TJ

#33 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:11 AM

The people that get me are the ones who did not talk the whole match, then when they die they tell you how much damage they did.

In advance, funk you and your damage.

#34 InspectorG

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 12 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

View PostHiAndromon, on 01 March 2017 - 08:07 AM, said:

14 matchs, only two good teams, this hurts brawler build even more than long range meta.

10-20 loss streaks happen. Often.

#35 MaxxQ

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

View PostInspectorG, on 12 March 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

10-20 loss streaks happen. Often.

Yep. Happened to me earlier today. Somewhere around 25 games played total. Wasn't on a winning team until the 20th match, and I've yet to survive to the end. Although one match had a glitch where I had been killed, my mech was on its back, but I was never actually counted as dead. Could fire my weapons (into the sky, of course), but nothing else. End of match stats showed me as alive. <shrug> Whatever.

#36 coffee and witchcraft

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:17 PM

I am so very, very new. I do not have a mic on my headset, and I'm so sub-par at steering and aiming, that typing is out of the question. However I listen, happily. If someone calls where to rendezvous, I go. If they call primary target, I focus on it. If they say stay together, I do. So honestly... speaking up helps loads.

I'm improving slowly, and though I'm still firmly in the "you can pry my LRMs from my cold dead hands" phase, I am having loads of fun in the evenings. Except the Crimson Straight... I hate that map in a most violently deep way. -.-

#37 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:59 AM

View Postcoffee and witchcraft, on 14 March 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

I am so very, very new. I do not have a mic on my headset, and I'm so sub-par at steering and aiming, that typing is out of the question. However I listen, happily. If someone calls where to rendezvous, I go. If they call primary target, I focus on it. If they say stay together, I do. So honestly... speaking up helps loads.

Welcome to MWO!

Listening & following instructions is a great start & makes it to that you are not a hinderance to the team I cant recommend enough to being able to talk as well. Not only will it increase your enjoyment of the game but being able to relate position reports etc is vital to the success of your team.

I would recommend getting as good a headset as you can afford because they are more comfortable (important with long hours in MWO) but the sound quality both heard & transmitted is much better. Ultimately a cheap headset is better then no headset & they can be had for as little as $15.

View Postcoffee and witchcraft, on 14 March 2017 - 10:17 PM, said:

I am having loads of fun in the evenings. Except the Crimson Straight... I hate that map in a most violently deep way. -.-

Whaaaat??? That is far & away my fav map for PUG drops!

#38 coffee and witchcraft

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

View PostAmatsukaze, on 15 March 2017 - 06:59 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO!

Listening & following instructions is a great start & makes it to that you are not a hinderance to the team I cant recommend enough to being able to talk as well. Not only will it increase your enjoyment of the game but being able to relate position reports etc is vital to the success of your team.

I would recommend getting as good a headset as you can afford because they are more comfortable (important with long hours in MWO) but the sound quality both heard & transmitted is much better. Ultimately a cheap headset is better then no headset & they can be had for as little as $15.

Whaaaat??? That is far & away my fav map for PUG drops!

Oh I had a nice set, but I gave them to my son after he broke his. He uses them much more than I do.

Yeah... I can see why people who are experienced with the game enjoy that map, but it is death for me. That section where it's above and below the ramp? I'm just awful at it. One of my boys outfitted me with some better lasers for up close fighting, but... not my strong suit yet.

But then, this only like night five or six of me playing.

#39 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:58 AM

View Postcoffee and witchcraft, on 15 March 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

Oh I had a nice set, but I gave them to my son after he broke his. He uses them much more than I do.

Sounds like its time to take them back! :)

Yeah... I can see why people who are experienced with the game enjoy that map, but it is death for me. That section where it's above and below the ramp? I'm just awful at it. One of my boys outfitted me with some better lasers for up close fighting, but... not my strong suit yet.

That is the most difficult spot of that map. The enemy can push from the saddle down the ramp, from the tunnel or drop down from above. If they are pushing & you are there you are in deep kimchee!

There is allot that you cant control in MWO but one thing you can always control is WHERE YOU ARE. Unless your team is balled up down below it is best to not be there yourself. IMO unless you are brawling you never want to be in the middle of the fight. Its best to always be on the edge of it. As such you can control the tempo of engagement allowing you to back off when you get hot or seek cover when beat up.

But then, this only like night five or six of me playing.

Welcome to MWO! This is easily the most addictive game I have ever played.

You got some new lasers that's great! A word of caution. Don't go pouring a bunch of money into weapons until you have been playing awhile. Especially early on you will find yourself migrating from weapon system to weapon system as you fully explore the game until you discover what works best for you & suits your playstyle. Doesn't make sense to spend a ton a cbills on a laser vomit mech only to discover the next week that you prefer a Dakka build or SRM boat.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users