The "who Let The Dogs Out" K-9 Deputy Dawg Fan Fiction Contest

53 replies to this topic

#21 RoKeNx2

Rookie

• WC 2018 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

ive only Discovered Battletech existed when i found MWO and that was in August .... but im gunna give this a try!.... my grammer is crap but i have spirit so as long as im graded on the latter i may have a chance! aweee yah!.... my lore knowledge is god awefull as ive got 1300 hours logged on MWO ...Since AUGUST! =P so haven't quite had time to do much research.. so im going for a ... "Leave it somewhat Vague" method in hopes any lore breaks i accidentally throw in wont destroy anyone's immersion

one question though... how exactly do we submit our story? do we post the whole thing in one giant mega post? or several posts or... private message it?

also gunna do a bit of time leap though a potentially boring part meerly for time constraint sakes
even though with the idea i have i feel like i could type away but... my grammer is rough as i had said so ill go with what i feel is the basic idea of my little dream worlds attempt at a story for this beauty of a mech!

also to go with Blackhawks little theme i present to you my best urbie run today in honor of the K-9!

http://images.akamai...377C93F16B19B8/

-just a steam screenshot

Edited by RoKeNx2, 06 March 2017 - 05:22 AM.

#22 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 March 2017 - 09:56 AM

View PostRoKeNx2, on 06 March 2017 - 05:20 AM, said:

ive only Discovered Battletech existed when i found MWO and that was in August .... but im gunna give this a try!.... my grammer is crap but i have spirit so as long as im graded on the latter i may have a chance! aweee yah!.... my lore knowledge is god awefull as ive got 1300 hours logged on MWO ...Since AUGUST! =P so haven't quite had time to do much research.. so im going for a ... "Leave it somewhat Vague" method in hopes any lore breaks i accidentally throw in wont destroy anyone's immersion

one question though... how exactly do we submit our story? do we post the whole thing in one giant mega post? or several posts or... private message it?

also gunna do a bit of time leap though a potentially boring part meerly for time constraint sakes
even though with the idea i have i feel like i could type away but... my grammer is rough as i had said so ill go with what i feel is the basic idea of my little dream worlds attempt at a story for this beauty of a mech!

also to go with Blackhawks little theme i present to you my best urbie run today in honor of the K-9!

http://images.akamai...377C93F16B19B8/

-just a steam screenshot

looking forward to it.... if you need any lore input, just ask.

#23 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:31 PM

Hey Bishop, in the final incarnation of Deputy Dawg, what was she armed with?

#24 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:25 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 06 March 2017 - 01:31 PM, said:

Hey Bishop, in the final incarnation of Deputy Dawg, what was she armed with?

Well, since her final run has hopefully not been played yet.... it's hard to say.

But judging by the hardpoints PGI gave her, she may end up with a RAC2 (RA), and a bevy of C-erSLs (2xCT/3xLA) and a 180xl engine......

or she may stay lower tech. Rumor has it she's been destroyed and rebuilt several times... Posted Image

#25 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 March 2017 - 02:25 PM, said:

Well, since her final run has hopefully not been played yet.... it's hard to say.

But judging by the hardpoints PGI gave her, she may end up with a RAC2 (RA), and a bevy of C-erSLs (2xCT/3xLA) and a 180xl engine......

or she may stay lower tech. Rumor has it she's been destroyed and rebuilt several times... Posted Image

Okay.. let me rephrase that, what was her last played configuration in TT?

#26 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 06 March 2017 - 02:51 PM, said:

Okay.. let me rephrase that, what was her last played configuration in TT?

Hmmph. Well be technical then. Sent as a PM

#27 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 March 2017 - 08:31 PM, said:

Hmmph. Well be technical then. Sent as a PM

Kind of important for the short bit of fiction I'm putting together...

#28 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

View PostMetus regem, on 06 March 2017 - 08:36 PM, said:

Kind of important for the short bit of fiction I'm putting together...

well I sent it to ya...don't get yer panties on fire.... XD

#29 RoKeNx2

Rookie

• 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 06:41 PM

Submission Post!

Alright so im not good at embedding things so hopefully this is good enough!

here is my story i left it a good bit vague as A i like the hint of mystery it adds and B im afraid of doing too many lore breaks as im new to the battle tech. Sorry for the grammar but i cant grammar so hopefully its not too tough to read!

https://drive.google...7WhLBZ5GAWfcCcg

Also ive never Read any of the battle tech books! but i am more than surely going to in the future but with 1300+ hours into MWO in a meer several months its hard to find time to read ^^ suggestions on where to start would be happily accepted preferably in PM as to not clutter the contest board! ^^

#30 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

Ok, my editor (aka wife) says this one is good, so here we go. Enjoy!

Operation Takedown

#31 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

View PostBarantor, on 08 March 2017 - 06:42 PM, said:

Ok, my editor (aka wife) says this one is good, so here we go. Enjoy!

Operation Takedown

Very nice... 3 very cool short stories, so far, and all three could very easily mesh together (got another one form a community member who can't post yet, so we are lookign at how to get him posted... guess you have to finish your cadet stuff now, or something)

#32 Cato Zilks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 698 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationPrinceton, NJ

Posted 09 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

I went for a very different story, a sheriff on Claybrooke between the Andurien crisis and the deployment of Kristen Marik's Krushers to hold the planet.

A large ditch by railroad tracks in the middle of a sea of grass.
Claybrooke
FWL frontier, bordering the Capellans and Canopians
Late July 3045

Nothing about this world is easy. The days are long, years longer; summers are hell, yet every year hell freezes over and we all crave hell's heat. The worst part is the smell of cow crap that permeates everything. But, those cows are the biggest cash crop on the planet, so we can only complain so much. If the politicians in Sheridan would get over themselves maybe we could start mining our two moons and start growing our economy. Leave it to a bunch of cowboy politicians to stick to their guns and be unable to figure out some kind of deal. Hard to really blame them though, a decade ago their job was to stymie the FWL appointed "governor (dictator), which they did exceptionally well. You can't really blame a dog for only knowing one trick, they only know what you teach them.

Still, listening to them crow about their roles in the Army of the Resistance is just downright irritating. When we were fighting the Andurien occupation force, most of them did exactly what they do best: be rich and do nothing. We did all the work and they take all the glory. Now they make even more money selling our "frontier" goods from the brave "folk" who didn't even need FWL to help throw off the Andurien yolk. Does any of that extra money get passed along to the hard working people of Claybrooke? No, of course not. Ok, I kinda like that last part. I don't mind if they brag about us not needing the League. Just so long as they don't provoke them into sending an "governing" force, or worse: the 8th Orloff Genadiers who will flatten a town to kill some pirates.

"Uh... sir, I think I see something coming. About eh... 1,000m out... 280 degrees west by north west." His scout's report snapped Jim Bishop out of the political ramblings in his head. "Rodriguez, bring your men to the west embankment of the ditch! Spencer! Jackson! Turn your dadgum vehicles on!"

Their forces were light by most battle standards, but that was probably Jim's fault. He was a sheriff with a big mouth and a disdain for politicians (who incidentally, controlled the budget for his militia-esque police force.) Consequently, when Jim petitioned for a battlemech to help guard the trainlines, he was expecting a Spider or a Firestarter with a few quick vehicles. If he was lucky, maybe he would get an Assasin. Needless to say, speaking your mind to your bosses has draw backs: they gave him an Urbanmech decorated like a police car and two Hover APCs. Literally, the slowest mech in their price range with two vehicles that only had machine guns. And he was expected to cover miles of open plains.

Making the best with what he was given, Bishop retrofitted his Urbie to have a bit more "reach" on the open plains and trained his men in the art of the ambush. They were actually remarkably successful. In fact, rumors where that he could smell bandits coming from miles away (even through the odor of cow dung.) He knew where they were going to be, and even if they could run away that dang Urbie would track them. Thus the mech garnered the nickname "K-9." Bishop liked it, the reputation made his job easier.

But this summer had seen a sharp uptick in train robberies. Rumors were that these bandits were organized. They were certainly efficient, as evidenced by the lack of witnesses thus far. Jim was a bit disconcerted that he had not found them until now. How had they hidden so well? His men were well trained to avoid killing the bandits if possible, better to arrest them and make an example of them. But this group seemed more efficient than those he had tracked before. Could his posse stand up to these ghost-like bandits? They didn't have much of an option. He knew that if he couldn't stop these bandit raids, the chances were high that a contingent of the 8th Orloff Grenadiers might get redeployed here. He didn't want to deal with the civilian death toll they would assuredly leave in their wake.

Sergeant Spencer shattered Bishop's train of thought "sir, I don't have any contacts on my radar." They had upgraded the sensors in Spencer's APC, so they should have radar contact by now. "Alberts, you still have visual?" Bishop barked at his forward scout. "Roger, sir!" the scout answered, "700m out, it looks like two mechs... kinda triangly" "Power down!" Bishop yelled.

He had not seen a Raven, but he did not know of any other triangle shaped mechs carrying an ecm suite. "Who has covert battlemechs working on Claybrooke?" he thought to himself. The sheriff began barking out orders, "Alberts, when the mechs get within 150 meters of us, holler! Spencer, Jackson stay powered down until the fighting starts, then fan out! Rodriguez, get the SRMs up front and fire on Alberts' signal!" He was not confident they could win this, but he was gambling that these mechs were not supposed to engage the enemy.

The waiting was hard, but his men knew what they were doing. When Alberts gave the signal, all hell broke loose. The SRMs from the infantry legged one of the Ravens. Jim Bishop peaked his K-9 over lip of the ditch and began ripping into the its side torso. The remaining mech began running north, but then turned and opened fire on his comrade. The second Raven's alpha was enough to destroy his crippled ally, likely destroying any evidence they could have gained about who sent these mechs. As the second Raven turned to flee, sheriff Bishop bellowed, "do not pursue!"

Given the circumstances, the battle went well: only two died and four wounded while they had brought down a state-of-the-art battlemech. But, Jim Bishop knew that news about this encounter could be disastrous. It could provoke the League to send a new "governor" or worse they could send the 8th in to clean things up. "Ladies, gents" Bishop began "salvage what you can from that mech and then destroy the rest before the train arrives. We will not mention this to anybody. Am I clear?" A chorus of "yes sir!" answered him. "We don't need the League to get involved and muck everything up! We can take care of ourselves! Now hurry up, that train is only fifty minutes out!

Edited by Cato Zilks, 10 March 2017 - 03:19 PM.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:29 PM

View PostCato Zilks, on 09 March 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

I went for a very different story, a sheriff on Claybrooke between the Andurien crisis and the deployment of Kristen Marik's Krushers to hold the planet.

interesting... well done if only marginally connected to the "real story", though it fits a bit int he way lawman legends tend to grow out of proportion and next thing you know, said gunslinger was at every fight and battle in the old west..even some that happened before he was born!

Still, an enjoyable read!

#34 Schagraulyn

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 01:41 PM

HOURS to SECONDS

Schagraulyn sits in the Black Warhammer she called TERRA THERMA. Waiting for now about one and a half Hour. The darkness of the night make the swamp to a part of a Horror-Film-Scene. Her Fingers move over the switches and the Monitor of the right Gand cam lights up and switches to Nightvision. The Right Arm of the Battle mech makes a ninty Degreece Sweep. Severel small Craters are digged into the wet Ground where the Black covered Soldiers lie and wait.

Every Mech of the Nightcrawler Lance stays in Cover. The Raven has duck down to Ground and the Nose lies on the Ground like a Dog in sleeping, while the back hits the Water. The Hunchback stands with its back to a Stone Pike. And the Thunderbold lies in the Water with no more than iht left Torso with the Laser-com-system visible.

It´s a fifty fifty situation. If the Clanner Scouts move the Western way they wil lrun directly intot this trap. Using the Eastern way will lead them to the Dropship with the Artillerie Verhicles. #Fifty fifty ist good enough for us# the thinks.

The Sound of Mechs moving through harder ground come from the North. One of the Soldiers bliked the message with his small Lamp. Its time to make the Warhammer battle ready. with a swift Click turns the Diesel-fuel switch to flow and about ten Liters of this oily Fuel runs out of the holes and over the Brest of that Mech. The Mashine Guns switch to Ready.. The Pulse Laser do the same. The Flamer do the same. The Automatic fire and Heat control lines up and shows "Full Fire for twelf Seconds."
It is critical decision to run a Triplle strength Mech wit Ammo inside. Most Pilots runover the red line and risk a Ammo Explosion. Using the Automatic fire System tend to miss much Fire, beacause of firing befor the Target is in the line of the weapon. #Everyone chooses his way to die.# Her finger lies at the com-activation button.

Then the first clan Mech moves into sight. Timber Wolf....
*click*"Time to kick asses!"
The Mech stops as the pilot senses the Comunication. #bad choice, you should have been mooving!#
The Black Warhammer begins pumping the Pulse lasers and starts firing The Mashine guns, even while out of Range. the Laeg begin to move and a single drop of fuel starts burning. after the third Step the Flames crawl over the torso and give it the look of a fire daemon. The timber wolf stumbles backwarts. The Thunderbold rises his Torso and beginn to fire with Lasers. The Rocket Launcher sould be risky as long as there is water inside. The Hunchback turns left side an makes a step around the Cover. The Roar of its AC20 remembers Schagraulyn to her Lucky-lion that had been destroyed. she misses that plush-Deer. but there is no time for waterworks.

The Warhammer moves forward at runspeed. Now close enough to hit with Flamers and Mashine Guns.
The Reaktor Heat rises to the yellow line at fast speed. the second Scout comes to sensors with a biep. A Stormcrow.
The Seconds run down while the Timberwolf eats burning death from the direct front. He turns his Torso wildly, becaus he is Blinded from Flamer-fire, Bullets and Short Range Missles. The raven has joined the battle.

The Heat scane moves over the Yellow line. The Automatic switches to chainfire.
#Now comes your death Clanner#
She turns away from tha shaken Timberwolf und towards the medium Mech. This one is not helpless. Hefires Lasers. at this range ther eis no chance of missing a burning target in deep black night. Several green diodes of the armor-graph switch to red. Ten percent Armor Loss within three Seconds.

The distance falls to extremly short. Both Arms of the Warhammer are not used for Great guns. It has Hands and a full set of activators. these Hands Grab the torso of that medium Mech and it screems while the half side torso ist ripped away.
A small plasma cloud shoots out and put the ground into a small burning hill. BRAWL! .. it dont means to fire small lasers ans SRMs... The Stormcrow fires the remaining Lasers, till the Warhammer Arm crushes the Head with a single hit.

While schagraulyn turns her Head and looks out of the right cocpit window she can see the timberwolf fall.
#One and a half Hours waiting for less than thirty Seconds combat. Next time we call them directly to our position.#

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 04:16 PM

View PostSchagraulyn, on 10 March 2017 - 01:41 PM, said:

HOURS to SECONDS

Schagraulyn sits in the Black Warhammer she called TERRA THERMA. Waiting for now about one and a half Hour. The darkness of the night make the swamp to a part of a Horror-Film-Scene. Her Fingers move over the switches and the Monitor of the right Gand cam lights up and switches to Nightvision. The Right Arm of the Battle mech makes a ninty Degreece Sweep. Severel small Craters are digged into the wet Ground where the Black covered Soldiers lie and wait.

Every Mech of the Nightcrawler Lance stays in Cover. The Raven has duck down to Ground and the Nose lies on the Ground like a Dog in sleeping, while the back hits the Water. The Hunchback stands with its back to a Stone Pike. And the Thunderbold lies in the Water with no more than iht left Torso with the Laser-com-system visible.

It´s a fifty fifty situation. If the Clanner Scouts move the Western way they wil lrun directly intot this trap. Using the Eastern way will lead them to the Dropship with the Artillerie Verhicles. #Fifty fifty ist good enough for us# the thinks.

The Sound of Mechs moving through harder ground come from the North. One of the Soldiers bliked the message with his small Lamp. Its time to make the Warhammer battle ready. with a swift Click turns the Diesel-fuel switch to flow and about ten Liters of this oily Fuel runs out of the holes and over the Brest of that Mech. The Mashine Guns switch to Ready.. The Pulse Laser do the same. The Flamer do the same. The Automatic fire and Heat control lines up and shows "Full Fire for twelf Seconds."
It is critical decision to run a Triplle strength Mech wit Ammo inside. Most Pilots runover the red line and risk a Ammo Explosion. Using the Automatic fire System tend to miss much Fire, beacause of firing befor the Target is in the line of the weapon. #Everyone chooses his way to die.# Her finger lies at the com-activation button.

Then the first clan Mech moves into sight. Timber Wolf....
*click*"Time to kick asses!"
The Mech stops as the pilot senses the Comunication. #bad choice, you should have been mooving!#
The Black Warhammer begins pumping the Pulse lasers and starts firing The Mashine guns, even while out of Range. the Laeg begin to move and a single drop of fuel starts burning. after the third Step the Flames crawl over the torso and give it the look of a fire daemon. The timber wolf stumbles backwarts. The Thunderbold rises his Torso and beginn to fire with Lasers. The Rocket Launcher sould be risky as long as there is water inside. The Hunchback turns left side an makes a step around the Cover. The Roar of its AC20 remembers Schagraulyn to her Lucky-lion that had been destroyed. she misses that plush-Deer. but there is no time for waterworks.

The Warhammer moves forward at runspeed. Now close enough to hit with Flamers and Mashine Guns.
The Reaktor Heat rises to the yellow line at fast speed. the second Scout comes to sensors with a biep. A Stormcrow.
The Seconds run down while the Timberwolf eats burning death from the direct front. He turns his Torso wildly, becaus he is Blinded from Flamer-fire, Bullets and Short Range Missles. The raven has joined the battle.

The Heat scane moves over the Yellow line. The Automatic switches to chainfire.
#Now comes your death Clanner#
She turns away from tha shaken Timberwolf und towards the medium Mech. This one is not helpless. Hefires Lasers. at this range ther eis no chance of missing a burning target in deep black night. Several green diodes of the armor-graph switch to red. Ten percent Armor Loss within three Seconds.

The distance falls to extremly short. Both Arms of the Warhammer are not used for Great guns. It has Hands and a full set of activators. these Hands Grab the torso of that medium Mech and it screems while the half side torso ist ripped away.
A small plasma cloud shoots out and put the ground into a small burning hill. BRAWL! .. it dont means to fire small lasers ans SRMs... The Stormcrow fires the remaining Lasers, till the Warhammer Arm crushes the Head with a single hit.

While schagraulyn turns her Head and looks out of the right cocpit window she can see the timberwolf fall.
#One and a half Hours waiting for less than thirty Seconds combat. Next time we call them directly to our position.#

nice story, though it seems disconnected from the contest.

#36 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:47 PM

View PostThomster, on 11 March 2017 - 03:00 PM, said:

When he finally reached the Urbie he just stood there for minutes, proudly looking up to that magnificent little fighter. And then, with a smile on his lips, he gently tapped it’s foot with his hand.

“Good Dog!”

Great story! I suppose I could quibble a bit, that Deputy Dawg is the name of my personal Urbie, but..meh... too good a story to get hung up on that. (years would be a little off for the foundation of the ZCC and Newland, but again, really minor critique). Sure, a proof reader could pick a few points about punctuation, I'm sure, but the actual reading was riveting enough tbh, I pretty much glossed over any spelling or punctuation errors. Really good contribution to the "Tales of the ZCC", thank you for that.

#37 orcrist86

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,151 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon Institute of Science

Posted 11 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

Alright, I'm now in the correct place and here it is.
https://www.dropbox....ction.docx?dl=0

#38 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:13 PM

View Postorcrist86, on 11 March 2017 - 10:26 PM, said:

Alright, I'm now in the correct place and here it is.
https://www.dropbox....ction.docx?dl=0

OK, definitely the right place this time. I will wait til morning to read it though, cuz my eyes are about crossed I'm so tired.

#39 MarksmanKNG

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 05:45 AM

Here is my application to the contest.

PDF File.

https://drive.google...My1OSUhIdjV1SGc

Enjoy.

Regards
MarksmanKNG

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 13 March 2017 - 09:41 AM

View PostMarksmanKNG, on 13 March 2017 - 05:45 AM, said:

Here is my application to the contest.

PDF File.

https://drive.google...My1OSUhIdjV1SGc

Enjoy.

Regards
MarksmanKNG

nice! I'm glad to see my little Urbanmechs are starting to spread across the Inner Sphere! Get some more Law Dogs around here!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users