Sad Misinterpretation Of Player Feedback

52 replies to this topic

Poll: Linear vs. web-type Skill Tree (87 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think the current web-style layout of the Skill Tree which forces players to take multiple unwanted skills is OK?

1. Yes, I'm OK with having to take skills I don't want or need (23 votes [26.44%])

Percentage of vote: 26.44%

2. No, I want a linear Skill Tree which would let me choose the skills I want (64 votes [73.56%])

Percentage of vote: 73.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:10 AM

So while browsing through Russ's twitter today, I came across this:

Posted Image

Russ, WHAT THE F*CK? During PTS1, the players complained exactly of the opposite: due to excessive investment into unneeded/undesired skill nodes, there weren't enough SPs left to level more than one weapon type under the weapons branch, which essentially encouraged boating. Now, in PTS2 you've redesigned the weapons branch, but not only did you keep the same web-style layout that forces players to take unwanted skills, but you also increased the number of skill nodes, making SPs even more scarce. What's the purpose of this, and how the hell does it relate to "combating boating"?

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 03 March 2017 - 02:30 AM.

#2 WolvesX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:14 AM

Russ also didn't comment on the general nerf of bad chassis while introducing a universal change so far...

https://mwomercs.com...bad-thing-pts2/

#3 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

I want a detailed explanation from anyone at PGI how this discourages boating.

Since it in fact encourages boating (as does the current system of quirks + modules), I would very much like to know a) what they think boating IS, and B) by what logical process do they think this new system "combats" it.

#4 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:49 AM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 03 March 2017 - 12:39 AM, said:

I want a detailed explanation from anyone at PGI how this discourages boating.

Since it in fact encourages boating (as does the current system of quirks + modules), I would very much like to know a) what they think boating IS, and Posted Image by what logical process do they think this new system "combats" it.

Yeah, PGI's logic is totally lost on me here. I seriously wanted to make a poll titled "What do you think Russ & Co were smoking?", but figured it was too risky :D

#5 The Lost Boy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 585 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:52 AM

The old trees had specific ones for types of weapons. Pulse lasers time to max it and boat them. This tree system may not discourage boating per se, but it lets mechs with mixed loadouts not suffer as much. Boating one weapon type makes it easier to get most of the good perks for a given weapon, but with them al on the same tree, its kinda nice that things like range, heat gen, and cool down nodes apply to ALL weapons on your mech.

#6 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 12:55 AM

They have an opportunity here to encourage mixed armaments in a way they literally never have, and they are not taking it.

The tree encourages boating. Encouraging it less than in their last proposal does not mean they are "combatting" it.

#7 PyckenZot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • Mercenary Rank 7
  • 870 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAnderlecht, Belgium

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:22 AM

The new proposal works as intended and forces players to sacrifice points if they want to max a specific "quirk".

Nothing wrong with it.

#8 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:40 AM

While we may disagree on a number of things, I am happy to see that the consensus on the forum seems to be that people are unhappy with being forced to take unnecessary skills.

If you go back to 2011 and 2012, the point of the skill tree was to promote role warfare. In other words, you would choose skills based on your desired role on the battlefield. Now in 2017, it seems like Russ has accidentally or deliberately forgot about this. But the consensus on the forum seems to be that people still want that freedom.

The question is: what kind of feedback are they listening to? Forum? Twitter? Or some inner circle of playtesters?

PS: Not a fan of the poll in the OP, btw. Ironically, you're forcing people to choose between two alternatives that may not express what they want. :)

Edited by Alistair Winter, 03 March 2017 - 01:41 AM.

#9 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:44 AM

Ya, the poll is very biased. Still voted no, but an unbiased poll might be better.

#10 DGTLDaemon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 746 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 03 March 2017 - 01:49 AM

OK, for those unhappy with the poll - I reworded "Yes, I enjoy having unwanted skills shoved down my throat" to "Yes, I'm OK with having to take skills I don't want or need". I hope this is better Posted Image Sry for the original wording, I was just too badly pissed off with PGI's skill tree design. Gotta control my temper better :D

Edited by DGTLDaemon, 03 March 2017 - 01:55 AM.

#11 Captain Arctic

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 388 posts
  • Locationhidden under ECM

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:17 AM

I was OK with that, but The Skill Tree v.2 is a mess. Complete bullsh#t. Much-much worse than it was before. Therefore I'm joining to the question: Russ, WHAT THE F#CK? As correctly noticed above, It doesn't solve the problem (it just adds new problems).

#12 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 03 March 2017 - 02:43 AM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 03 March 2017 - 01:40 AM, said:

The question is: what kind of feedback are they listening to? Forum? Twitter? Or some inner circle of playtesters?

Why does it matter? How linking nodes together prevent boating? Technically, if nothing change, ill never take a single weapon nodes unless my mech comes with weapon quirks i can stack on and even then im not sure. The weapon buff are too low to put mobility, arty and armor on the side. I dont even care about that, but how the hell does it incentive me in using diversified loadout on my mech?

btw, nobody post in twiter anymore beside the known names that also post on reddit beforehand and on the forum a little after. Theres just "us" now(i dont post on twitter). The forum have been more alive with new people for a long time and the people that used to be on twitter posting "i love you bro and everything you do is the best" are gone.

Edited by DAYLEET, 03 March 2017 - 02:47 AM.

#13 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:26 AM

Having to travel trough suboptimal nodes to reach the ones you really want is good skill tree design and a great way to balance investment between skill trees and to encourage diverse loadouts.

You people need to get over your fear of taking less than optimal skill nodes. They are a part of the cost of reaching the really juicy bits.

#14 Fetherator

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 03:35 AM

Its named "Give & Take". So far so good.

You can't have it all, look what u get in the Live-Server.
You'll see that on "PTS rd 2" u get more from the skills then from the Modules in "Live"
If u want all "Range Skills" u have to make an offer, thats not bad, thats the real good stuff PGI made.
Yes i know there are some Bugs...but well look again on "Live" :D

#15 April Showers

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 04:45 AM

can we just agree that the entire skilltree stuff needs to be removed ?
any kind of grind or respawn in a MW themed FPS is a bad thing because it gets directly in between the player and the target.
the only skill involved should be in front of the computer.

if you let people grind for eternity to master a single mech while the old farts like me have a lot of XP bunkered, thats just enforcing the seal-clubbing and keeping player base low.
it is hard enough to master torso twisting, arm lock etc. already and these are no XP skills that actually have a real impact in the game, whereas the XP skills have none worth talking about.

i suspect we get to buy the XP Potion next, directly followed by the realms of pandoria spellcasting expansion.

also the entire way this skilltree trash is made, it will enforce boating. it also makes interesting combinations of modules impossible.

back to the drawing board, guys.

PURSE CLOSED UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.

#16 process

• Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 1,667 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:28 AM

I'm okay with compulsory skills, but it has to be implemented in a way that makes sense.

I think the challenge with independent, linear skill branches is that not all skills are valued the same. If you took every skill type and made them accessible from SP 1, I think most people would go directly to seismic, radar dep, cooling efficiency, speed tweak, armor, etc.

I think there would either need to be a tiered system, with the more valuable skills are a higher tier, or a system where the higher value skills cost more SP.

The trick is balancing around the idea that this game is more a mech sim/FPS hybrid and less an RPG. Skills shouldn't make any mech grossly more powerful than an unskilled mech. I think it's reasonable for a mastered mech to be 15% better, which obviously doesn't leave a whole lot of room for improving attributes. If you're trying to get 25% better, then maybe there should be extra costs/penalties associated with that additional 10% of performance.

For example, Speed Tweak A gives +7.5% max speed. Speed Tweak B gives +10% max speed, but -15% deceleration.

Edited by process, 03 March 2017 - 08:29 AM.

#17 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:29 AM

View PostDGTLDaemon, on 03 March 2017 - 12:10 AM, said:

So while browsing through Russ's twitter today, I came across this:

Posted Image

Russ, WHAT THE F*CK? During PTS1, the players complained exactly of the opposite: due to excessive investment into unneeded/undesired skill nodes, there weren't enough SPs left to level more than one weapon type under the weapons branch, which essentially encouraged boating. Now, in PTS2 you've redesigned the weapons branch, but not only did you keep the same web-style layout that forces players to take unwanted skills, but you also increased the number of skill nodes, making SPs even more scarce. What's the purpose of this, and how the hell does it relate to "combating boating"?

Russ... is terrible at communication.

#18 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:48 AM

PGI logic: less skills = no boating because obviously if we make take that 1 point in missiles for your last cool down skill then you'll just HAVE to fit missiles, right? You just HAVE to.

#19 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 03 March 2017 - 08:48 AM, said:

PGI logic: less skills = no boating because obviously if we make take that 1 point in missiles for your last cool down skill then you'll just HAVE to fit missiles, right? You just HAVE to.

No, it means that a mech using both ballistics and missiles will on average get more value from the same number of skill points.

#20 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

View PostGagis, on 03 March 2017 - 08:53 AM, said:

No, it means that a mech using both ballistics and missiles will on average get more value from the same number of skill points.

Not true, because you also have to take laser points to get to another set of cool down nodes. So in reality you're taking trash nodes no matter how you slice it and dice it. And they're spread out so much that you have to reach and stretch just to get 1 thing, which prevents you from diversifying optimally, which in turn promotes boating... again. Either way we're back to choosing one or two weapon types. That 1 point in missiles or 2 in lasers that you didn't want does not incentive you into taking either weapon. It's just in the way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users