Survival Tree Changes (-50%) Your Thoughts?

47 replies to this topic

Poll: Survival Tree Changes (-50%) your Thoughts? Poll? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

with these New values, is the Survival Tree Still worth spending Points into?

1. Yes, (9 votes [12.86%])

Percentage of vote: 12.86%

2. No, (58 votes [82.86%])

Percentage of vote: 82.86%

3. No Change, (3 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:16 PM

Tonnage...CT-Structure...CT-S(Bonus)...CT-Armor...CT-A(Bonus)...(Total Bonus)
100..................62..............+10%(6)............124............+5%(6)................12...
95....................60............+10.5%(6)...........120..........+5.5%(7)...............13...
90....................58..............+11%(6)............116............+6%(7)................13...
85....................54............+11.5%(6)...........108..........+6.5%(7)...............13...
80....................50..............+12%(6)............100............+7%(7)................13...
75....................46............+12.5%(6)............92..........+7.5%(7)................13...
70....................44..............+13%(6).............88............+8%(7).................13...
65....................42............+13.5%(6)............84..........+8.5%(7)................13...
60....................40..............+14%(6).............80............+9%(7).................13...
55....................36............+14.5%(5)............72...........+9.5%(7)...............12...
50....................32..............+15%(5).............64...........+10%(6)................11...
45....................28............+15.5%(4)............56.........+10.5%(6)...............10...
40....................24..............+16%(4).............48...........+11%(5).................9...
35....................22............+16.5%(4)............44.........+11.5%(5)................9...
30....................20..............+17%(3).............40...........+12%(5).................8...
25....................16............+17.5%(3)............32.........+12.5%(4)................7...
20....................12..............+18%(2).............24...........+13%(3).................5...

Are these Values enough(Spending 20 Points into the Survival Tree)?

Personally if this system is to be used,
id rather just go with a static +1.2 CT-Structure(6 CT-Structure Total)
and also just go with a static +1.4 CT-Structure(7 CT-Structure Total)
at least with such over 5 Skill Nodes Light Chassis will benefit more
-
Please Note these Values are just for CT Values,
ST, Arm, and Leg Values will Differ from these Vlaues,
(which could explain why they didnt go with Static Values)

Thoughts, Comments, Concerns?
Thanks,

Edited by Andi Nagasia, 03 March 2017 - 06:43 PM.

#2 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:20 PM

Cutting them in half basically means that it may not be worth investing in the survival tree at all. Will have to decide if it is better to go full sensors now instead of survival.

#3 Kuaron

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Senior Captain
  • Senior Captain
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:40 PM

No idea, tbh.
It was a no-brainer before.

#4 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 03 March 2017 - 06:53 PM

What the tree needs is the bonuses spread out more. I think 8 nodes for both armor and structure would provide more give-or-take to the tree. It was too essential before, now it's not really worth maxing out the tree.

#5 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 03 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

I do not know why it is always weighted towards heavy mechs when they appear to be the most popular.

The question is though what would you get in place of this? More weapon quirks? Extra consumables?

#6 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:07 AM

It makes it largely ineffectual for the cost. 20 points, a quarter of your total, to get the equivalent of a mediocre armor quirk.

With gimped mobility this just secures the suicidal nature of IS XLs and a strong shift to gank over tank in the new system.

Someone help me understand why the new model does NOT strongly motivate me to camp at range with gauss/PPC and poptart, even with hoverjets? Without modules + quirks giving lasers short burn times and cooldown to bump their DPS and everyone being much easier to hit gauss + PPC and hiding behind cover (since I'll have an easier time shooting people as they close and lasers can no longer catch me out with short burn times) just seems like the obvious choice.

#7 Antares102

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 12:21 AM

With this nerf the survivability tree is dead for me.

#8 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 01:09 AM

The survival-tree is a Chance for pgi to increase the "time to kill" in this game. And now they are nerfing it...? I can't believe it... facepalm.

#9 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 04 March 2017 - 03:53 AM

I think this illustrates the problem of forcing players to take pointless skills, and also having a low ceiling on survivability.

Consider the following hypothetical:
  • Each mech has 40 skill points
  • Survivability tree has 40 nodes
  • Survivability tree is linear, so you're not forced to pick up lots of random fall damage skills, for example.
  • Survivability skills are stronger than they are now.
In this hypothetical, if you are free to cherry-pick armor and structure buffs, and if the skills are actually worth taking, then I imagine everyone will want at least some survivability quirks. But if the ceiling is really high, there's no way you'll go all in on survivability and have zero mobility, zero firepower, zero operations and zero infotech skills, for example.

I think it would be easier to balance a linear skill tree than this chaotic mess of random nodes, which forces players to take useless skills. And I think it would be easier to balance the skill tree if each mech had fewer skill points available, while each node was more valuable.

#10 ArmageddonKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 05:23 AM

@PGI

The survival bonus to armor if anything needs to increase, not decrease.

I dont know why you would think otherwise tbh.

TTK is way to fast atm, even with the current PTS once 12v12 is shown on live i honestly think people will then understand how small a difference the bonus to armor will make when u have multiple people alpha striking you at once.

Think of how live is atm, if u walk around a corner in the biggest tankiest mech u can find, and ur faced with 3 or more enemies, u will be melted by alpha strikes within seconds, and almost instantly die. A 10% armor and structure bonus wont change that unless Alpha damage is also lowered, which it has not.

Edited by ArmageddonKnight, 04 March 2017 - 07:09 AM.

#11 MookieDog

• PipPipPip
  • Gunjin
  • Gunjin
  • 93 posts
  • LocationDC

Posted 04 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

Its a waste. I mentioned it also. This tree is now worthless.

#12 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

PGI will PGI

Something might be a bit too powerful? Smash its power by 50% until it is nerfed into uselessness. Than, revisit it in 6 months to a year, give it a 10% increase in power, pat yourself on the back, and call it a balanced game.

#13 kapusta11

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:27 AM

Good armor/structure skill nodes buried under the pile of useless stuff - still worth it, even mandatory (which is bad).

Trash armor/structure skill nodes buried under the pile of useless stuff - a **** joke.

Edited by kapusta11, 04 March 2017 - 07:27 AM.

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

I must have blanked over when I read the changes in PTS 2

50% slash makes them pointless, though it rings true of P.G.I something is popular with players lets break it, and make it useless is a common theme.

If they were aware of their product and they felt it was to strong a sensible reduction would have been 20% or even 25% but not 50% that stinks of P.G.I as usual not learning from past hack and slack balancing mistakes.

Mechs should be more tankier not wankier

This is turning into energy draw all over again, a solid start ruined by P.G.I's lack of intelligence when it comes to balance.

#15 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:34 AM

Anything percentage based for increases will reap greater benefits for things with higher values to start with. For mechs taking survival nodes... they're worth it on things that retained armor/structure bonuses, since the percentages apply to them also as well as whatever the mech is equipped with.

#16 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:36 AM

I liked the increased survivability and longer TTK under PTS2. However, I will defintely still invest points in the Survival Tree for squishy Mechs. Every little bit helps there. For more durable Mechs, I will use the points elsewhere.

#17 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 04 March 2017 - 07:34 AM, said:

Anything percentage based for increases will reap greater benefits for things with higher values to start with. For mechs taking survival nodes... they're worth it on things that retained armor/structure bonuses, since the percentages apply to them also as well as whatever the mech is equipped with.

Bigger Buffs for mechs with big armour and structure values.

#18 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 07:55 AM

View PostRampage, on 04 March 2017 - 07:36 AM, said:

I liked the increased survivability and longer TTK under PTS2. However, I will defintely still invest points in the Survival Tree for squishy Mechs. Every little bit helps there. For more durable Mechs, I will use the points elsewhere.

As I fully grasp PGI's intention of the skill nodes being to promote role warfare... i will simply continue to pick the nodes that benefit the roles I use my many mechs for. For things like phoenix hawks, vipers and spiders...where its fast & high jumping harassers and snipers...the shock absorbance nodes are more important to me than the armor/structure nodes. Its better to not get hit at all in my opinion with such mechs, and the usual source of damage is the fall after exhausting the jet fuel leaping far away from someone.

View PostCathy, on 04 March 2017 - 07:42 AM, said:

Bigger Buffs for mechs with big armour and structure values.

Exactly. Tankier mechs can get tankier. The reduction in cool downs, heat generation quirks, and operational cooling/capacity are all going to increase TTK already across the board for everyone.

#19 WolvesX

• The Machete
  • The Machete
  • 2,072 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:03 AM

No, they are not worth taking now in my humble opinion. Can I get you to comment on this isseu? http://bit.ly/2mYUMV8

Edited by WolvesX, 04 March 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#20 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 March 2017 - 08:18 AM

Run a battle master 2c and a battle master 3m. See how much difference extra 30 armor makes. For me it was hard to even tell. So when they say spend 20 points for 13 armor I laugh.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users