95 replies to this topic

#21 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 March 2017 - 03:44 AM

I think the whole git gud, group up etc argument is a bit of a straw man with regards to the problem of pugstomps being boring for both sides.

Game populations largely behave as they game design allows them to, you can't really make it into a political or blame shifting game about whose (between players) fault the problem is. Well you can of course as a means of satisfying yourself, but it won't lead to actually solving the problem.

If there is a problem than it is because the game has a design problem, in this case the game mode is designed to make a large portion of the matches meaningless pugstomps.

I'd argue this problem is as bad whether you are the stomped or the stomper, which obviously rules out becoming what you're not as a solution. If a pug being stomped gits gud and groups up all that will happen is that he gets to be bored by stomping rather that bored with being stomped, the improvement of his experience is close to 0.

You are letting PGI off the hook by constantly turning this into a pugs vs groups pissing contest, it's their fault for designing a dysfunctional online environment. The strategy on their part is "we can't satisfy both these categories of players, so we'll create an environment designed to make them hate each other rather than blame us." Clearly this approach is working quite well, as evidenced by this kind of thread and it's responses.

In the meantime Community Warfare never got developed and the "Faction Play" surrogate for it is approaching the state where it's failure to attract players can be used as a plausible excuse for why Communty Warfare didn't and won't happen. Well played.

Edited by Sjorpha, 08 March 2017 - 03:46 AM.

#22 TWIAFU

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:30 AM

View PostStikyard, on 07 March 2017 - 03:35 PM, said:

So what do you really gain from grouping up all the skilled and coordinated players? You end up driving away new would be players. You get one sided matches that aren't fun or challenging.

I'm sorry to say it but, a large number of players, especially new players just aren't at your level of game play. The game just simply plays better with random teams.

What do you gain? You either get better and improve yourself and gameplay or you complain how evil groups/units are in the group/unit centric queue. You get one sided, lopsided matches in Group and QP too, whats the difference? I mean besides QP players playing CW as it was QP with respawn. Oh, and Teamwork. And VOIP. 12 playing as 1 instead of 12 playing for themselves.

Really cannot anyone to feel sorry for the solo dropping into CW when they ignore the warning, refuse to group, refuse to follow, refuse to use any tools they asked for. Anyone really think allowing some fresh install playing CW with trials is a good idea?

Then those new players that are not up to 'our level of play' in CW/Group centric queues, maybe that new player should stick to QP and learn the game first, have a highly customized drop deck of elited mechs, before they try to play solo in a non solo queues.

#23 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 08 March 2017 - 04:37 AM

View PostPalfatreos, on 08 March 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

Posted Image Atleast that why i sometimes group up with peasant ash and co not because i like him or jump on his peasent ts but he barely better then a potato. Posted Image

Welp, that looks like a burn to me.

#24 theUgly

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant-General
  • 184 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:20 AM

Why is this post in existence ?

This game will be better if forces the pugs
to group up and start playing properly instead
of letting them sit back for 25 mins behind a rock shooting lrms.

If you want to play CW, join a damn unit before you are
even allowed access to the mode .

I rather wait for 15 - 20 mins for a drop of 12 vs. 12 organized players
then drop in 12 pug matches in less than 1 min waiting time in between games .

Let the 8 - 12 man pugga stompa continue till
those guys fall in line or fall off.

#25 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 08 March 2017 - 05:31 AM

View PostPalfatreos, on 08 March 2017 - 03:04 AM, said:

"In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king"
Atleast that why i sometimes group up with peasant ash and co not because i like him or jump on his peasent ts but he barely better then a potato. Posted Image

Hahahahaha :D

We play host to ALL potatoes. Thick, thin and **** shaped.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 08 March 2017 - 05:31 AM.

#26 Zito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 248 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:09 AM

OP is 2-12-1 in FP. He is in pain.

The only humane reply to this post is to friend him and invite him to a group. At ZMOM, we share the teat.

#ZMOMCARES

Edited by Zito, 08 March 2017 - 06:19 AM.

#27 Jumping Gigolo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 214 posts
  • LocationAny red light district or above 27,000ft on a mile-high club jet

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:30 AM

There's a big difference between a potato from a sweet potato. although i cannot relate with all the potato talks here because I belong more in the cassava/tapioca family.

#28 DaisuSaikoro Nagasawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 973 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationTaipei, Taiwan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

Its not so much about "gettin' gud" but about teams bringing in players and helping them to become part of the community.

There's no adequate training mechanism for FP other than working with others, trying things out, and working hard to become a cohesive unit.

Keep reaching out and helping people along instead of looking at new / lower skilled players as potatoes, or skittles, or whatever ignorant terminology entitled warriors bandy about. Everyone was new at one point. Even you.

#29 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:22 AM

We had the population at one time . Large group had the option to fight each other but they didnt. They moved around to make the games easier by not fighting each other.

This is 100% pgi fault for allowing them to do this. PGI built potato farmer 1.0 and now we're up to 4.1

#30 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts
  • LocationToronto, Ontario

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 09:22 AM, said:

We had the population at one time . Large group had the option to fight each other but they didnt. They moved around to make the games easier by not fighting each other.

This is 100% pgi fault for allowing them to do this. PGI built potato farmer 1.0 and now we're up to 4.1

Huh? Incase you did not know there is no match maker. We don't dictate who we get matched up against and we never have. Population is what dictated faction changes. Moving to a faction that would net you the most games. Every unit working together to dodge each other is about the biggest bunch of BS I've seen on these forums.

#31 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

View PostDarklightCA, on 08 March 2017 - 10:12 AM, said:

Huh? Incase you did not know there is no match maker. We don't dictate who we get matched up against and we never have. Population is what dictated faction changes. Moving to a faction that would net you the most games. Every unit working together to dodge each other is about the biggest bunch of BS I've seen on these forums.

Were you not around from the start? The largest groups would always move to the same side so they never fought. If 228 move to clans, ms would move few days later they never fault this is not BS.

Even now they're most are clans and its not because they need to level some mechs.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 08 March 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#32 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:37 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Were you not around from the start? The largest groups would always move to the same side so they never fault. If 228 move to clans, ms would move few days later they never fault this is not BS.

I am sorry, I forgot you were in teamspeak when every major unit was having their annual strategy sessions on where to contract to avoid each other... because that's something we apparently do.

It is BS because as a person apart of a major unit playing FP at that time we played other units all the time, even ran into 12 man's from time to time when somebody else was fielding them. There was not a lot of factions you could contract with that would get you best chances for games. It was always CJF, Steiner, FRR or CGB and sometimes Kurita.

Considering that, yes some units overlap because they all wanted to get in that faction for the same reason. To find the most games.

#33 Javin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:38 AM

I will say that the so called elite groups take no real enjoyment from killing random pug groups. Mostly they seem to drop in hopes of finding other similar type groups to test themselves. Beating down pugs gets boring very quickly. The C-Bills are nice but you can not improve your skill beating the unorganized and unskilled.

You no longer see the massive groups of skilled players in FP. The big groups are shadows of what they once were. Evil, MJ12, KCOM, EK, do not drop as much as they used to, no matter how skilled they are, and they are still stupidly skilled. Is it fun to get beat down in FP? Never. But you can reduce your chance of beatdowns.

Communications and teamwork win fights. Find a faction or unit Teamspeak, or Discord, or ventrilo (they are easily found in the factions forums) and start meeting people. Learn some new, fun builds for your mechs. I have played this game for years and am still learning new methods of fighting and new builds. Even a few people playing together can turn the tide of game and massively increase the fun.

And fun is why we play.

#34 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM

View PostDarklightCA, on 08 March 2017 - 10:37 AM, said:

I am sorry, I forgot you were in teamspeak when every major unit was having their annual strategy sessions on where to contract to avoid each other... because that's something we apparently do.

It is BS because as a person apart of a major unit playing FP at that time we played other units all the time, even ran into 12 man's from time to time when somebody else was fielding them. There was not a lot of factions you could contract with that would get you best chances for games. It was always CJF, Steiner, FRR or CGB and sometimes Kurita.

Considering that, yes some units overlap because they all wanted to get in that faction for the same reason. To find the most games.

"annual strategy sessions" lol funny it wasn't as much annual as it was weekly as these did happen. They happen on the house side too.. It sound like you really dont have any idea what happen back then.

View PostJavin, on 08 March 2017 - 10:38 AM, said:

I will say that the so called elite groups take no real enjoyment from killing random pug groups.

But they keep fighting for the clans. It getting hard to blame it on the mad 2c. PGI wanted merc warfare and they got it.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 08 March 2017 - 10:43 AM.

#35 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:48 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 10:43 AM, said:

"annual strategy sessions" lol funny it wasn't as much annual as it was weekly as these did happen. They happen on the house side too.. It sound like you really dont have any idea what happen back then.

You are right, Merc units fighting over the minimal amount of actual populated factions for the highest percent chance to find a drop in a time when it took 20 minutes to find a game doesn't sound as reasonable as a Marik loyalists inside scoop on how every merc unit conspired with each other to avoid fighting each other because fighting skittles teams is SOOOOOO enjoyable for people.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

But they keep fighting for the clans. It getting hard to blame it on the mad 2c. PGI wanted merc warfare and they got it.

*cough* Merc unit currently contracted in IS *cough*

Edited by DarklightCA, 08 March 2017 - 10:53 AM.

#36 Lovas

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • 436 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 10:46 AM, said:

**cough cough**

Hi Monkey!

On the subject of merc warfare - I wonder why they don't list Mercs in the faction summery on the leaderboards. Take all merc wins and losses out of the houses and clans and just have one big merc pool - it might show a lot about what is going on in CW.

Edited by Lovas, 08 March 2017 - 11:03 AM.

#37 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:00 AM

View PostDarklightCA, on 08 March 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

You are right, Merc units fighting over the minimal amount of actual populated factions for the highest percent chance to find a drop in a time when it took 20 minutes to find a game doesn't sound as reasonable as a Marik loyalists inside scoop on how every merc unit conspired with each other to avoid fighting each other because fighting skittles teams is SOOOOOO enjoyable for people.

Yet they still kept fighting on the same side with the longest drop times ... Funny right

View PostDarklightCA, on 08 March 2017 - 10:48 AM, said:

*cough* Merc unit currently contracted in IS *cough*

1 of 100 because you got sick of waiting. Good luck soon you will have no one to fight with as its to late now.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 08 March 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#38 DarklightCA

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 774 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:06 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 11:00 AM, said:

Yet they still kept fighting on the same side with the longest drop times ... Funny right

1 of 100 because you got sick of waiting. Good luck soon you will have no one to fight with as its to late now.

You are right that is funny considering my unit switched from Clan to IS back and forth every couple weeks. Spending 50% of our time with IS and 50% with Clan. Also funny considering all the Merc units I saw in queue contracted with IS when we contracted Clan. Extremely funny.

Edited by DarklightCA, 08 March 2017 - 11:07 AM.

#39 Positive Mental Attitude

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 393 posts
  • LocationWAYup

Posted 08 March 2017 - 11:11 AM

Trust me everyone is quitting this game fast enough the only people left very soon will be the new players. Youll get your solo que, just wait.

#40 Zito

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 248 posts
  • LocationHere

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 08 March 2017 - 10:32 AM, said:

Were you not around from the start? The largest groups would always move to the same side so they never fought. If 228 move to clans, ms would move few days later they never fault this is not BS.

Even now they're most are clans and its not because they need to level some mechs.

I set the contract for 228 for at least a year. Every decision was made to face the best possible teams. In fact, we used to let the contract lapse and see where units went to hunt them. The only collusion I ever knew of was when MS paid 228 250M Cbills to go JF for Tuk.

I can vouch for DarkLight, he is a killer and absolutely hates to play weak competition.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users