March Skill Tree

22 replies to this topic

#1 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:31 PM

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a simple question. How is PGI still making decisions like these on the Skill Tree when I stole the Dartboard of Destiny from their HQ months ago? How do you even order a new magic dartboard and how much do they cost?

Oh, and the new skill tree could've used another PTS session in the oven to refine it but I guess we'll have to wait and see but it's still better than what we have now.

#2 RestosIII

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

MW:O playerbase on it going live this month.

Posted Image

Sadly, I have a feeling that their decision was a situation where they were having to choose between two options. Either release it now, or scrap it in the style of ED. And admittedly, this is the better option out of the two IMO. I find it frustrating that I'm still going to be incapable of re-mastering a lot of my mechs, but, at least pinpoint will be gone, and as long as we make enough of a fuss, they'll make changes to it still after it's released.

#3 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:37 PM

Maybe, but why feel pressured to release it now, in March? The community would've understood and we've gone so long with this skill tree ANYWAY. Maybe it was a business decision, and I'd blame marketing if that were true.

#4 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:39 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 March 2017 - 06:37 PM, said:

Maybe, but why feel pressured to release it now, in March? The community would've understood and we've gone so long with this skill tree ANYWAY. Maybe it was a business decision, and I'd blame marketing if that were true.

I have a feeling it's a mix of marketing, Russ not wanting to let it sit around, and the team needing to start up work on the new tech this summer.

#5 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 06:42 PM

View PostRestosIII, on 08 March 2017 - 06:39 PM, said:

I have a feeling it's a mix of marketing, Russ not wanting to let it sit around, and the team needing to start up work on the new tech this summer.

All very fair and good reasoning, but I hope this isn't like FW where we had 4 iterations of balance. There's a chance that the new arrangements will be better, at least.

#6 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:11 PM

TLDR WRONG FORUM

#7 Gentleman Reaper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wrench
  • The Wrench
  • 733 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, the land of slurpees and potholes

Posted 08 March 2017 - 07:59 PM

PGI also said that tech imbalances were going to be looked into after the skill tree launches, so they probably want to get that sorted out in time for the time-skip.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:44 PM

View Postcazidin, on 08 March 2017 - 06:31 PM, said:

Greetings MechWarriors. Today I have a simple question. How is PGI still making decisions like these on the Skill Tree when I stole the Dartboard of Destiny from their HQ months ago? How do you even order a new magic dartboard and how much do they cost?

Oh, and the new skill tree could've used another PTS session in the oven to refine it but I guess we'll have to wait and see but it's still better than what we have now.

you assume Paul actually looked to see where he threw the darts. He's actually been hitting randoms staffers with them for months, and just tweaking things however he wants, regardless.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:45 PM

PGI delayed it once, expecting it to be ready within a month.

I think they should delay it again.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 08:48 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 08 March 2017 - 07:11 PM, said:

TLDR WRONG FORUM

*looks real hard for mod tags.... fails to find any*

someone really wanted to be a hall monitor when they were growing up, didn't they?

View PostFupDup, on 08 March 2017 - 08:45 PM, said:

PGI delayed it once, expecting it to be ready within a month.

I think they should delay it again.

don't fully disagree, but it could be the word of God, written by his own fingers and this community would still QQ (probably say something like, "I'm atheist, you can't tell me what to do!" or something), so tbh, rather have it in a live environment where we can get meaningful telemetry. Dunno if they'll act on it, but only so much to garner from 4v4 test servers.

#11 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:05 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 March 2017 - 08:48 PM, said:

don't fully disagree, but it could be the word of God, written by his own fingers and this community would still QQ (probably say something like, "I'm atheist, you can't tell me what to do!" or something), so tbh, rather have it in a live environment where we can get meaningful telemetry. Dunno if they'll act on it, but only so much to garner from 4v4 test servers.

The thing is that there isn't much to test out in actual combat, since we've been exposed to the majority of these quirks in the past for several years. The only difference is that we get to pick and choose quirks. Most of the stuff to test and most of the issues to fix are in the "back end."

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:30 PM

View PostFupDup, on 08 March 2017 - 09:05 PM, said:

The thing is that there isn't much to test out in actual combat, since we've been exposed to the majority of these quirks in the past for several years. The only difference is that we get to pick and choose quirks. Most of the stuff to test and most of the issues to fix are in the "back end."

Really not the case. because testing stuff in a vacuum, even this gives limited feedback. Seeing how all these thing stack up against each other, in a live environment will tell you a hell of a lot more about how each chassis, weight class and faction stacks up with the changes.

#13 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 09:46 PM

My thought is they need Live test data.. It is hard to tweak things of of limited data. Something like this needs to go live and then a few months of tweaks. My guess is they wanted it to go live, collect data, then do a balance patch when the new assault mode hits.

Sure,.,. that sounds good

#14 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:26 PM

That old thing? Well ya see you stole the "OLD" dartboard of destiny before the remodel of the meeting room. It was replaced with the;

NODE BOARD of DESTINY

Posted Image

#15 xengk

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 2,502 posts
  • LocationKuala Lumpur, Malaysia

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Silly man, the dartboard is only a decoy.
The Magic Snakes and Ladders board is the real Artifact of Balancing.

#16 RestosIII

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,322 posts
  • LocationDelios

Posted 09 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

View Postxengk, on 08 March 2017 - 10:28 PM, said:

Silly man, the dartboard is only a decoy.
The Magic Snakes and Ladders board is the real Artifact of Balancing.

I see PGI's problem then. It needs to be Candyland. Obviously.

#17 cazidin

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 07:48 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 March 2017 - 08:44 PM, said:

you assume Paul actually looked to see where he threw the darts. He's actually been hitting randoms staffers with them for months, and just tweaking things however he wants, regardless.

Are you sure they're staffers and not just unpaid teenage interns?

View PostRestosIII, on 09 March 2017 - 12:46 AM, said:

I see PGI's problem then. It needs to be Candyland. Obviously.

Blizzard already owns the Candyland Artifact of Balance, or C.A.B.

#18 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 09:36 AM

I feel like they have their priorities mixed up, or at the very least their ability to plan things out is all out of whack. Personally, I would have preferred they kept working on the core format of the tree with continued testing all the up to when they are ready for the new tech this summer. Releasing now(even if the tree was in a good spot which it isn't) is going be problematic when the new tech comes out since they are likely to need a lot of adjustments to the tree, and the players are not going to be thrilled having to respec again and at an additional cost.

#19 SeaLabCaptn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 273 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 March 2017 - 09:30 PM, said:

Really not the case. because testing stuff in a vacuum, even this gives limited feedback. Seeing how all these thing stack up against each other, in a live environment will tell you a hell of a lot more about how each chassis, weight class and faction stacks up with the changes.

Looks to me like they finally found a way to give players the incentive to test PTS changes: force it on them. At least they'll get loads of feedback now.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 March 2017 - 10:55 AM

View Postcazidin, on 09 March 2017 - 07:48 AM, said:

Are you sure they're staffers and not just unpaid teenage interns?

mmm...good point.... how would we tell the difference? Gamers seem to be kind of a homogeneous/androgynous mass these days.. half the time I can't tell the High School Rebel from the 30 year old Professional anymore.... (I've finally turned into my grandparents....NOOOOOOOO!)

View PostSeaLabCaptn, on 09 March 2017 - 10:09 AM, said:

Looks to me like they finally found a way to give players the incentive to test PTS changes: force it on them. At least they'll get loads of feedback now.

It was either that or probably scrap it like ED and Infowar. Not like our playerbase has ever really been receptive to change, or testing stuff out... PGI is just supposed to labtest it,in a non live environment, bring it out for us to thumb up or thumb down, then change it again, without any real live telemetry to work from apparently.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users