New Skill Tree: Lessons I Learned? Never Sell Anything, Buy More Modules, And Experiment In Smurfy, Not The Live Mechlab.

49 replies to this topic

#21 Xoxim SC

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 454 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:59 PM

View Postveedubfreak, on 11 March 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Are people really planning on remastering everything they have mastered? With all the changes they have made over the years, most of my mechs have been relegated to yard art. I have 125 mechs at the moment and of those 125, I ~might~ master 10 of them after the 21st.

I certainly won't be remastering even half of my mechs with this future "skill tree". I might master about 6 of my 150+, but that's it. I'll just suck it up with the others and either not play them, or just run them standard.

#22 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:18 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 11 March 2017 - 04:28 PM, said:

Every mechbays now come with the price of a mech to master. You buy a mechbay you get a 4million cbill deficit assuming you will put a mech in it.

Well before the new skill tree is you either spent time moving modules, or you spent close to 18 million cbills for modules to stay with that mech. SO if you are a person who bought modules for every mech (which some did) then you are now saving 14 million cbills. And if you are not one who spent for modules on every mech then the cost is pretty damn cheap to what it use to be.

#23 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:28 PM

My lesson? Quirkless Clan meta mechs will never let you down, even during big changes.

Edited by El Bandito, 11 March 2017 - 06:28 PM.

#24 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:30 PM

View PostEl Bandito, on 11 March 2017 - 06:28 PM, said:

My lesson? Quirkless Clan meta mechs will never let you down, even during big changes.

First thing i did when the pts hit was buy the KDK colllector pack. Im set for life.

#25 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:34 PM

View PostTodd Lightbringer, on 11 March 2017 - 05:59 PM, said:

I certainly won't be remastering even half of my mechs with this future "skill tree". I might master about 6 of my 150+, but that's it. I'll just suck it up with the others and either not play them, or just run them standard.

Ok, I'll bite. Why not? Do you actually have no modules at all now? If you have a CW drop decks worth of modules Mechs, your looking at, what, 21m cbills * 4 Mechs = 84m cbills which is enough to master something around 20 Mechs. And that's assuming you just have enough modules for 4 Mechs.

So, you just won't master them out of, what, some ridiculous self-flagellation personal protest? PGI would neither know nor care.

That's really the problem with quirks. Quirked IS Mechs rely on those quirks, and quirks come and go.

I wish I had a better solution.

#26 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:48 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 March 2017 - 06:34 PM, said:

That's really the problem with quirks. Quirked IS Mechs rely on those quirks, and quirks come and go.

I wish I had a better solution.

Base tech balance, and sized hardpoints would be a start. The first one should be much easier to implement.

#27 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 06:50 PM

Well, life has been stomping on my gaming time lately so MWO time has been lagging. Just to provide a different point of view (to the OP), I've played somewhat over 1,200 matches, own about 20 mechs, no modules, and am not sitting on piles of gear, MC, or C-bills.

The time I spent levelling my current mechs to Mastery status was a significant chunk of my leisure time. I spent very carefully and did my research and didn't waste much along the way, because if you aren't running premium and playing thousands of matches that's what you gotta do.

Hopefully I won't log in after the new skill tree hits and find I need to grind millions of credits just to get my mechs back to where they were.

#28 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:01 PM

Oh i agree 1000%

But my stable is gonna go from 116 viable mechs with engines, builds, etc. to like 16. Most now just needed modules before a group or comp drop and sometimes i didn't use that in modes like quick play thats for sure. Modules weren't necessary when just testing out builds either.

Just sucks that if i wanna keep playing the game at the same level comp wise i have to regrind an *** load of cbills.

Edited by Revis Volek, 11 March 2017 - 07:01 PM.

#29 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:05 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 11 March 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

Oh i agree 1000%

But my stable is gonna go from 116 viable mechs with engines, builds, etc. to like 16. Most now just needed modules before a group or comp drop and sometimes i didn't use that in modes like quick play thats for sure. Modules weren't necessary when just testing out builds either.

Just sucks that if i wanna keep playing the game at the same level comp wise i have to regrind an *** load of cbills.

How many modules do you have - honestly, now? Every two weapon modules is three mechs mastered.

I get it, though, I do. I don't have many modules either, and am probably gonna take it in the face come release. But it doesn't take many modules to master a whole bunch of mechs.

#30 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 07:15 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 11 March 2017 - 07:01 PM, said:

I have been hoarding meta Clan mechs since last year, and with the amount of C-Bills getting refunded and the amount of XP I have on them already, I think I am gonna be fine in the "competitive" department from day 1. My other mechs (especially IS ones) are not so lucky. Extra consumable slots are complete cowdung, though. As if the game is not snowbally enough.

#31 8Ball-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 292 posts
  • LocationIndiana, US

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

Don't we get all the gxp back we spent unlocking the modules? That's a lot of gxp if you unlock all of them to level 5. And if it's not tied to a mech it would be some kind of HGXP and be used anywhere. No?

#32 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:15 PM

I'm pretty sure I've wasted money on just engines alone.

Surely, I'm a #cheapskate that Russ speaks highly of.

#33 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:30 PM

View PostDeathlike, on 11 March 2017 - 08:15 PM, said:

I'm pretty sure I've wasted money on just engines alone.

Surely, I'm a #cheapskate that Russ speaks highly of.

Yes, so terrible. Because this playerbase doesn't say far worse things about him, daily. Just another flag to wave...
Posted Image

#34 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 08:30 PM, said:

Yes, so terrible. Because this playerbase doesn't say far worse things about him, daily. Just another flag to wave...
Posted Image

To be fair, at this point... it becomes well deserved if even the less salty OutreachHPG becomes as salty as the original /r/MWO.

#35 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 11 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

Testing grounds absolutely needs to be made available for use before any and all skill tree node are locked, respectively.
That way, one can at least field test their changes as they are going along, and get a gauge for where they are at, before committing to a node path.

Edited by JackalBeast, 11 March 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#36 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 March 2017 - 09:04 PM

Right.

KDK, Marauder llC, Hoverlurmer-llC(troll mech i wont care to skill up).

I will Skill up Locusts.

The 40 other mechs i own will warm the bench until i sell them.

Lesson Learned: PGI cant even.

#37 Snazzy Dragon

• The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 2,912 posts
  • LocationRUNNING FAST AND TURNING LEFT

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:35 AM

I'm gonna be broke after my 15th remastered mech out of the 80 I own, but I'll be sure to money up my hero mad-IIC scorch once the skill tree drops first :P

#38 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:44 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 11 March 2017 - 08:42 PM, said:

Testing grounds absolutely needs to be made available for use before any and all skill tree node are locked, respectively.
That way, one can at least field test their changes as they are going along, and get a gauge for where they are at, before committing to a node path.

That would be SO much loading screens surely doing it 5 times will find what you want, just use your 500,000 xp mech 1st like I will.

#39 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:17 PM

View PostWintersdark, on 11 March 2017 - 07:05 PM, said:

How many modules do you have - honestly, now? Every two weapon modules is three mechs mastered.

I get it, though, I do. I don't have many modules either, and am probably gonna take it in the face come release. But it doesn't take many modules to master a whole bunch of mechs.

oh dont get me wrong, im gonna get like 150 mil from the refund 6 seismic sensors alone is a nice haul.

But it will pail in comparison on the current amount of mastered mechs i have. Which kinda sucks and why they arent just grandfathered in with some fantasy cbill that can only be spent on that mech is beyond me.

#40 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 March 2017 - 02:27 PM

View PostRevis Volek, on 12 March 2017 - 02:17 PM, said:

oh dont get me wrong, im gonna get like 150 mil from the refund 6 seismic sensors alone is a nice haul.

But it will pail in comparison on the current amount of mastered mechs i have. Which kinda sucks and why they arent just grandfathered in with some fantasy cbill that can only be spent on that mech is beyond me.

I hear you, but gotta disagree. We knew (or should have) that the idea was modules were the endgame for progression. We were able to game that for a few years, but we all knew we were doing so. Just that PGI wasn't penalizing us for it. But a fully mastered mech, was meant to represent one with full modules.

If one wants to compare apples to apples, it takes about 60ish nodes to reset as close to current mastery (without models) as the new system will allow for. There is an intentional detuning built into the new system. 91 allows you to get the equivalent of a fully mastered AND moduled mech. (again, give or take, some are getting a little more, some a little less).

But why should PGI "credit" you or I, with modules we never actually bought? They are closing off a loophole we've been enjoying for several years, but that's exactly what it was. Now they are saying no more free lunch, you want the benefits of those modules for Mech X? Then you need to buy them for Mech X.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users