Modules And The Skill Tree

8 replies to this topic

#1 Chuck Corneliusson

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

I really wish that PGI would leave modules alone and not try to mix them into the Skill Tree. If they want to change the old Skill Tree system to this new system, that's fine with me. But the ability to put modules you already own on a newly purchased Mech before you ever take it into a match is of great value and that is being lost by trying to roll modules into the Skill Tree.

#2 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:28 PM

The point of mixing the two together was to move from 2 separate skill systems (one requiring XP, the other GXP and C-bills) into a singular system. It also makes getting a mech with the absolute maximum performance far easier and quicker for newer players.

#3 Radkres

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:19 PM

I Feel it would be better to have them in the skill tree but not use to gate the rest of the tree so you could avoid them if you do not want them.
Example
Say all the old skills that did not require Cbills where but cost Xp or GXp where called Green nodes
mixed inside that tree but not blocking any green nodes.
there would be Metal colored nodes Brass, Silver, and Gold Nodes that require GXP and Cbills to unlock They would be your modules nodes.
The nice thing about this type would be the Green nodes just cost just XP or GXP and you could collect them all without having to get any Metal nodes in that tree.
Then Metal nodes you would have to pay for just like Modules now.

Anyway was one of the ideas I thought about.

#4 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:55 AM

View PostAthom83, on 15 March 2017 - 01:28 PM, said:

The point of mixing the two together was to move from 2 separate skill systems (one requiring XP, the other GXP and C-bills) into a singular system. It also makes getting a mech with the absolute maximum performance far easier and quicker for newer players.

I thought it was a 3 area system?

1) modules
2) pilot skills
3) rule of 3 mastery system

Had been hopping some of the video streamers would fully explain the current system

Then move into explaining the new system

The new system is a pretty big change I would have rolled it out as part of MWO 2

I did not like the rule of 3 system when I first started but the game is the game
And accepted it like you accept the rules like in the game of monopoly

Thinking back I loved MW2 but MW4 not so much its just the nature of gaming

Another option we mentioned before would have been to do a little of both

That is if you buy 3 variants you have no respec costs
If you buy 1 or 2 then you fully invest in the new system

#5 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:52 AM

The problem is, modules was never a good system to begin with, so merging them into the skill tree doesn't fix anything. There are far too many garbage modules like Hill Climb. No one wants that cr@p, especially with things like Radar Dep, Targeting Decay, and Seismic Sensor around. Conversely, those few modules are way too good. Radar Dep and Targeting Decay are the opposite sides of the same coin, both incredibly powerful based around sensors and Seismic is in a class of its own. Garbage modules along side absurdly good modules is a bad system. They should all be equally as powerful and useful. Same goes for things like Air Strike/Artillery precision. Useful? Maybe, but not when compared to speed retention or advanced zoom. So PGI's great idea was to gate the good modules with bad ones. Oh yea, no gaming Dev has ever tried that before and then gotten rid of it because it was a dumb idea to begin with.

#6 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:11 PM

Lol, why do so many people keep saying Hillclimb is garbage? Its actually pretty good, especially if you get on maps like Canyon Network, Polar Highlands, Alpine Peaks, Terra Therma, Caustic Valley, and a few of the FW maps. And how is being able to field those lesser used "modules", when you were locked from them before as you could only pick 2, a bad thing? Even if I couldn't get the full affect, I'd rather take 4-5 than only a max of 2 (not counting weapon modules). And honestly, I find Seismic situational at best. Only really saw any use for it in a few FW and QP match. The reason is I'm usually constantly moving with my team (even in my assaults) and not standing still playing Turret Warrior Online.

View PostKiran Yagami, on 17 March 2017 - 10:52 AM, said:

So PGI's great idea was to gate the good modules with bad ones. Oh yea, no gaming Dev has ever tried that before and then gotten rid of it because it was a dumb idea to begin with.

You play any MMO:RPG ever? The whole idea of any skill system is making you get the bad, basic skills in order to get the really good ones later on.

#7 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

View PostAthom83, on 17 March 2017 - 12:11 PM, said:

Lol, why do so many people keep saying Hillclimb is garbage? Its actually pretty good, especially if you get on maps like Canyon Network, Polar Highlands, Alpine Peaks, Terra Therma, Caustic Valley, and a few of the FW maps. And how is being able to field those lesser used "modules", when you were locked from them before as you could only pick 2, a bad thing? Even if I couldn't get the full affect, I'd rather take 4-5 than only a max of 2 (not counting weapon modules). And honestly, I find Seismic situational at best. Only really saw any use for it in a few FW and QP match. The reason is I'm usually constantly moving with my team (even in my assaults) and not standing still playing Turret Warrior Online.

Hill Climb is garbage. It's useful on select maps and if you have jump jets it's completely moot anyways. The advantage it provides is slim and no one seems to have any trouble getting along without it. Again, put against better modules like Seismic Sensor, Hill Climb may as well not exist.

You play any MMO:RPG ever? The whole idea of any skill system is making you get the bad, basic skills in order to get the really good ones later on.

Have you played any MMO:RPG recently? They've all dumped those systems and gone to much slimmer, linear skill systems and just gave you all the other cr@p for free. Try again.

#8 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 17 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

Yagami hill climb is worthless because you only have a few slots or less to choose from

Freedom equals diversity

Let's say your playing a comp 8v8 match on canyon two assaults with hill climb
Would open up a new realm of possibilities

Having tons of modules and only being able to mount
A few at a time was the real problem

Freedom equals diversity
I only have 2 seismic sensors and like 65 radar radar derivation modules
And way way more weapons modules

The weapons modules are supposed to add like 10 and or 12% to the weapons of my Mech
So since this is a weapons/heat game weapons get first priority
(Sort of like real life)

Next came heat almost all my Mechs have at least one cool shot

Now moving to the new node system I did not mount radar deep once
Why because I am forced to choose because of limited slots

Freedom equals diversity

I did buy all the weapons nodes but it was sorta of a sucker punch because
Because it hardly helped the combat effectiveness of my my Mech

No big after a few years I would expect to go through every combination the game has

Edited by Davegt27, 18 March 2017 - 04:57 PM.

#9 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 17 March 2017 - 12:50 PM, said:

Have you played any MMO:RPG recently? They've all dumped those systems and gone to much slimmer, linear skill systems and just gave you all the other cr@p for free. Try again.
Played EVE for a while and got bored. May come back to it when I have a better computer and more time, but as it is I can't really get the time to play it properly.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users