New Skill Tree: Lessons I Learned? Never Sell Anything, Buy More Modules, And Experiment In Smurfy, Not The Live Mechlab.

49 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:43 AM

Decided to do the math to see where I would be sitting on the 21st.

ok,so, if I did this right....

-8558 recorded matches
(little to no Premium Time, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the matches with "S" Mechs. combined with my alt accounts, that about 13k recorded matches, since the beginning of 2014. Interesting since I played almost double that total number between May 2012 and December 2013)

-Earned: $1,121,387,747.59
(of which I have...oh...1.2 million left, lol)

-Modules: 73, worth $257,000,000.00
(honestly about twice what I thought I bought)

-Total Mechs currently owned: 137
(my earlier guess at 204 totally overlooked the huge number of dust collectors I sold off a couple months ago)

-Mastered Mechs Owned: 41
-Elited Mechs Owned: 20
(with about the same number of each in mechs I sold off)

Moral of the story? I'm a really crappy spender. (selling, rebuying, reselling mechs... and constnatly experimenting live, instead of Smurfy.... probably NOT the frugal approach. Guess I'm less of a cheapskate than I thought, though... lol)

so 61ish, divided by 257 million rebate... heh... at the current 45k per node...... er.... should break about even...62.7 brought to 91 node mastery.

Of course, if I ever repurchase those other 60 or so I sold off, at a massive loss, that would be another 257 million to master them.... and doesn't touch any of the partial skilled mechs in between.

I should have sold less mechs, bought more modules and spent more time in Smurfy, I reckon!

So there you go, after the 21st, I will probably be space poor again, and have little to show for it. That said, most of it is my own dang fault, though the resale value of mechs is a total joke (as has been commented on by plenty of people, for a rather long time)

Final Verdict: Meh. Bring it on so we can get to moving again.

Oh what...you thought I was going to talk about the New Skill Tree itself? Why bother? Opinions are already set in stone, and nothing said will change that, so why stress? I'm just curious to see where I was going to be sitting after reset and reimbursements. Not all that great, TBH. But I'll live.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 11 March 2017 - 11:48 AM.

#2 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 11:52 AM

Kudos for basically saying what I am not allowed to summarize here.

The interesting thing is:
I found we're pretty similar in some stats:
~9000 games played.
~1.250 billion earned.

Although I only have ~90 Mechs. Because my actions are not controlled by instinctive collector drives and, yes, because I plan stuff in smurfy before I spend money on it. TBH, even those ~90 are too much.
So I currently have ~200 million CB that I have no idea what to spend them on. Surely not more mechs and I already have more modules than I could chew. According to the PTS refunds, it must be something around 300 million in modules or so.
(you get money WAY too easily in this game and you basically never lose any of it ...)

There are some interesting studies about people who won a million in the lottery: one year later, they are basically as poor as they were. The secret of having money is not to get it. The secret is to understand handling, managing and keeping it.

I can only advise to improve those skills. Acting reasonably, not impulsively, thinking ahead, etc.

Edited by Paigan, 11 March 2017 - 12:08 PM.

#3 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

um bishop wasnt this a Post 17minutes ago?

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 11:26 AM, said:

I should have sold less mechs, bought more modules and spent more time in Smurfy, I reckon!

just checking, ;)

i agree,
i gatta check how much my tax return will be,... i i mean PGI return will be, ;)

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:15 PM

View PostPaigan, on 11 March 2017 - 11:52 AM, said:

Kudos for basically saying what I am not allowed to summarize here.

The interesting thing is:
I found we're pretty similar in some stats:
~9000 games played.
~1.250 billion earned.

Although I only have ~90 Mechs. Because my actions are not controlled by instinctive collector drives and, yes, because I plan stuff in smurfy before I spend money on it. TBH, even those ~90 are too much.
So I currently have ~200 million CB that I have no idea what to spend them on. Surely not more mechs and I already have more modules than I could chew. According to the PTS refunds, it must be something around 300 million in modules or so.
(you get money WAY too easily in this game and you basically never lose any of it ...)

There are some interesting studies about people who won a million in the lottery: one year later, they are basically as poor as they were. The secret of having money is not to get it. The secret is to understand handling, managing and keeping it.

I can only advise to improve those skills. Acting reasonably, not impulsively, thinking ahead, etc.

Yup.

My point was more that my "space poorness" was not some grand scheme of PGIs to cause more grind... but the result of poor decision making on my part. Thank god it's video game money and not real money (though I did spend a stupid amount of that too, but in truth would have spent is somewhere, so whatever).

I knew I was "gaming" the system with Modules, PGI knew it, etc. I can skill up my mechs to similar to my Mastered Mechs without modules for about 60 nodes, not needing the full 91 (which allow me to emulate a fully moduled, mastered mech). Seems a lot of people are operating under a false assumption that "Mastered" now, and in the NTS is the same, and it's not, because those 5ish Module Slots per Mech NOW, are factored into those 91 pts. Thus if you didn't invest in those modules before... why shoudl you be reimbursed for something you never bought?

I didn't buy em...it's my own damn fault. Seems like accepting responsibility is way out of style.

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 11 March 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

um bishop wasnt this a Post 17minutes ago?

just checking, Posted Image

i agree,
i gatta check how much my tax return will be,... i i mean PGI return will be, Posted Image

it was a post,, that led to some thinking, and thus, a topic. I don't expect people to change their opinion of the NTS; because, yeah..internet. But I found the actual numbers, and the "genesis" of the discrepancy, interesting. I doubt most of the rampant bitters will be as self honest about it.

#5 Revis Volek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 11 March 2017 - 12:41 PM

Im in the same boat Bis, i changed mechs willy nilly because cbills were there and i used them once i had so many mechs.

181 mechs owned
116 master
rest elite or under at this point still...

Total C-Bill Earnings to date - 1,337,980,394
Matches Played to date - 9050

and 14 mill right now with about 150 mill coming from modules refund.

yay

Edited by Revis Volek, 11 March 2017 - 12:51 PM.

#6 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 01:33 PM

Counting up my Mastered Mechs, the only place where I will really lose out is on duplicates of the same variant. I am not complaining. The cost seem more than fair to me at this point. However, it will cost me MC to move HXP around in order to level up the maximum number of Mechs. I wish for the one time refund of XP it had just gone into the GXP pool instead of them creating HXP. I guess if they needed that as an income source to offset the elimination of Rule of Three then I will not begrudge them that.

#7 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM

102/166 Mastered = Loss of 417.7millions CB

Module refund = Gain of 219Millions CB.

15 free mech bay = Loss of 61.4millions CB

21 Mech only basic or less i don't mind selling for extra cash (Mostly IS heavies and third and in some case seconds of all clan mech i own can go) Did not count each mech separatly but Clan average 2.5mil and IS 1Mil, half/half i Gain around 37.5million CB.

These new 21 free mechbays become a Loss of 86Millions CB.

You can adjust price for lower cbill cost per nodes if you feel hitting your small toe with a hammer is less painful than hitting your big toe.

All aboard the Dropship for Cheapskate Island. I hope i dont miss the cockpit item in two years from now like i did the island.

Edited by DAYLEET, 11 March 2017 - 02:14 PM.

#8 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 02:47 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yup.

My point was more that my "space poorness" was not some grand scheme of PGIs to cause more grind... but the result of poor decision making on my part. Thank god it's video game money and not real money (though I did spend a stupid amount of that too, but in truth would have spent is somewhere, so whatever).

I knew I was "gaming" the system with Modules, PGI knew it, etc. I can skill up my mechs to similar to my Mastered Mechs without modules for about 60 nodes, not needing the full 91 (which allow me to emulate a fully moduled, mastered mech). Seems a lot of people are operating under a false assumption that "Mastered" now, and in the NTS is the same, and it's not, because those 5ish Module Slots per Mech NOW, are factored into those 91 pts. Thus if you didn't invest in those modules before... why shoudl you be reimbursed for something you never bought?

I didn't buy em...it's my own damn fault. Seems like accepting responsibility is way out of style.

it was a post,, that led to some thinking, and thus, a topic. I don't expect people to change their opinion of the NTS; because, yeah..internet. But I found the actual numbers, and the "genesis" of the discrepancy, interesting. I doubt most of the rampant bitters will be as self honest about it.

I want the skill tree- I think it's a very needed change. I want the engine/mobility decouple. I just want a better skill tree and a better baseline mobility, or IS XLs to not die on ST loss.

#9 Marius Evander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:01 PM

View PostDAYLEET, on 11 March 2017 - 02:07 PM, said:

15 free mech bay = Loss of 61.4millions CB
These new 21 free mechbays become a Loss of 86Millions CB.

Please explain where i can get mech bays for cbills
Please explain where i can get 21 "free" mechbays that "cost" 86 mill cbills

Thanks appreciated, all the money im going to get back im going to need them.

#10 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:28 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 11 March 2017 - 04:01 PM, said:

Please explain where i can get mech bays for cbills
Please explain where i can get 21 "free" mechbays that "cost" 86 mill cbills

Thanks appreciated, all the money im going to get back im going to need them.

Every mechbays now come with the price of a mech to master. You buy a mechbay you get a 4million cbill deficit assuming you will put a mech in it.

#11 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:30 PM

Your glass isn't half empty, its smashed.

#12 veedubfreak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:32 PM

Are people really planning on remastering everything they have mastered? With all the changes they have made over the years, most of my mechs have been relegated to yard art. I have 125 mechs at the moment and of those 125, I ~might~ master 10 of them after the 21st.

#13 razenWing

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,694 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

I know it's not the emphasis of your post, but how do you have 40000posts and not know to experiment with smurfy first? I do that sometimes on my spare time without launching games.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 11 March 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

I know it's not the emphasis of your post, but how do you have 40000posts and not know to experiment with smurfy first? I do that sometimes on my spare time without launching games.

I know to, but I smurfy doesn't tell you how it stacks up in an actual fight. And contrary to popular belief, Metamechs don't fit every body. Plus when you are one of the people who actually tests out everything, instead of taking somebodies word for it? It takes real use, not smurfy. Lastly, If I am already in client when a build idea hits me... why would I want to leave, fire up smurfy, then come back when I will need to test it "for reals" anyhow?

Like I said... I spent 23 hours testing Skill Tree PTS 2.0/2.5. Which is why I can laugh at a lot of the claims about it. I prefer to KNOW what's up. (And I still didn't get to half the testing I wanted.)

#15 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:54 PM

View PostrazenWing, on 11 March 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

Probably the same as me.

I change builds all the damn time. It's free to monkey in the mechlab, doesn't cost anything till you save a build. Then you play it a bit, then change it again. I don't keep a build on a mech for more than a day or two of play usually, it's extremely uncommon for me to leave a mech build long term ever.

Smurfy is fun, neat and all, but ultimately really unnecessary. Just experimenting with build possibilities live doesn't cost you anything.

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 04:49 PM, said:

I know to, but I smurfy doesn't tell you how it stacks up in an actual fight. And contrary to popular belief, Metamechs don't fit every body. Plus when you are one of the people who actually tests out everything, instead of taking somebodies word for it? It takes real use, not smurfy. Lastly, If I am already in client when a build idea hits me... why would I want to leave, fire up smurfy, then come back when I will need to test it "for reals" anyhow?
Exactly.

Like I said... I spent 23 hours testing Skill Tree PTS 2.0/2.5. Which is why I can laugh at a lot of the claims about it. I prefer to KNOW what's up. (And I still didn't get to half the testing I wanted.)

Wut? Not going to listen to a couple vocal folks raving uninformed mostly incorrect tales of misery and woe, and take it as complete unadulterated fact? And you call yourself a forumwarrior.

Test something before ranting about it? Who does that anyways?

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:04 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 11 March 2017 - 04:30 PM, said:

Your glass isn't half empty, its smashed.

I usually just drink from the bottle, anyhow. Bachelor life, yo!

View Postveedubfreak, on 11 March 2017 - 04:32 PM, said:

Are people really planning on remastering everything they have mastered? With all the changes they have made over the years, most of my mechs have been relegated to yard art. I have 125 mechs at the moment and of those 125, I ~might~ master 10 of them after the 21st.

Honestly?

Nope.I will remaster the robots I actually play regularly.... and if I feel like playing one of the others, I will Node it up at that time. I am not OCD (one of the few things I don't have, yay!), so I don't really care if they are mastered, unless I use them a ton. I have mechs I almost NEVER use.... so why worry about the skill tree on them...unless I end up needing it later?

I'm more curious to see how long it takes to Node up my new Assassin that I'll be getting nice and fresh at the same time.

#17 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:38 PM

bishop i was replying to dayleet

#18 TorinZ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:44 PM

I am curious about skilling up new mechs too. In PTS it was nice that I could play with the points and such. In the future, would be nice to have something similar to smurfy to build out/share skill tree setups. Sometimes it is just nice to have a plan in mind to follow as you level. Course, I guess I can figure that out up front with a mech and take some screenshots. But always nice to have a plan up on a webpage to view as you go.

I really liked how the skill tree worked for the most part. Build it how I want for the weapons I want to use. More curious to see how the new tech will change gameplay over this skill tree.

And I am also one that has 150+ mechs, and I will only be leveling out my favorites. Maybe I will use any extra Cbills I don't spend from the refund on a couple new mechs. Will be nice that I won't need to buy 3 of them to get them skilled out now. Could make me try out more mechs I have some interest in. I am a cheapskate with my CBills and I know it. Typically I would not invest in mechs if I didn't think I could get at least 2 good variants out of it. And I didn't just save on Modules, but did plenty of Engine swapping as well. So will be interesting to see how the refund works out. I am also too lazy to calculate that, but that laziness is also why I will probably come out OK where it counts. I have full modules for a couple drop decks worth of mechs, and a bunch of spares when it comes to weapon modules. So, my favorites should come out just fine.

#19 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:48 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 11 March 2017 - 11:43 AM, said:

Decided to do the math to see where I would be sitting on the 21st.

ok,so, if I did this right....

-8558 recorded matches
(little to no Premium Time, maybe 1/4 to 1/3 of the matches with "S" Mechs. combined with my alt accounts, that about 13k recorded matches, since the beginning of 2014. Interesting since I played almost double that total number between May 2012 and December 2013)

-Earned: $1,121,387,747.59
(of which I have...oh...1.2 million left, lol)

-Modules: 73, worth $257,000,000.00
(honestly about twice what I thought I bought)

-Total Mechs currently owned: 137
(my earlier guess at 204 totally overlooked the huge number of dust collectors I sold off a couple months ago)

-Mastered Mechs Owned: 41
-Elited Mechs Owned: 20
(with about the same number of each in mechs I sold off)

Moral of the story? I'm a really crappy spender. (selling, rebuying, reselling mechs... and constnatly experimenting live, instead of Smurfy.... probably NOT the frugal approach. Guess I'm less of a cheapskate than I thought, though... lol)

so 61ish, divided by 257 million rebate... heh... at the current 45k per node...... er.... should break about even...62.7 brought to 91 node mastery.

Of course, if I ever repurchase those other 60 or so I sold off, at a massive loss, that would be another 257 million to master them.... and doesn't touch any of the partial skilled mechs in between.

So there you go, after the 21st, I will probably be space poor again, and have little to show for it. That said, most of it is my own dang fault, though the resale value of mechs is a total joke (as has been commented on by plenty of people, for a rather long time)

Final Verdict: Meh. Bring it on so we can get to moving again.

Oh what...you thought I was going to talk about the New Skill Tree itself? Why bother? Opinions are already set in stone, and nothing said will change that, so why stress? I'm just curious to see where I was going to be sitting after reset and reimbursements. Not all that great, TBH. But I'll live.

Wow I am in a similar boat space poor.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

View PostCadoazreal, on 11 March 2017 - 05:38 PM, said:

bishop i was replying to dayleet

Well, ya didn't quote him... and it doesn't change the fact I drink outta a bottle, darn it! Now pass the tequila!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users