Civil War: Clan Mechs Not Worth It Anymore?

156 replies to this topic

#1 Emp Palpatines Left Deathstar

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:46 PM

So after reading the patch notes, I'm gonna have to call it and say it is not worth investing in any more clan mechs until we see how the new weapons actually impact the sides.

While I think there will be some cool things that can be done with the new weapons on the clan side, the new Inner sphere goodies are just way too awesome. I feel IS is going to roll through the clans until PGI nerfs the weapons to a point where there was no point in introducing them to begin with.

If they included just a couple more quality goodies to the clans, it would be pretty even. My unit plays both, and I quite enjoy both. We switch back and forth.

I am really disappointed with PGI went so gun ho on IS that they forgot to make it even.

Keep in mind, I PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE SPHERE.

What are your opinions?

#2 Carl Vickers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:48 PM

Erm, most of the stuff IS are getting Clans already have, makes it pretty close to even methinks.

#3 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:49 PM

> Gets set of lasers which, individually, are each worth two standard IS lasers for the same or less tonnage/slots

CLANS NOT WORTH IT ANYMORE!

Also, most of what the IS got was to make it even in the first place. Then they got some extra on top to go with the extra stuff the Clans got. Are some of the specific item choices weird? Yes. But we've got some really weird ones on both sides.

#4 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:51 PM

View PostHoss Chimp, on 14 March 2017 - 07:46 PM, said:

So after reading the patch notes, I'm gonna have to call it and say it is not worth investing in any more clan mechs until we see how the new weapons actually impact the sides.

While I think there will be some cool things that can be done with the new weapons on the clan side, the new Inner sphere goodies are just way too awesome. I feel IS is going to roll through the clans until PGI nerfs the weapons to a point where there was no point in introducing them to begin with.

If they included just a couple more quality goodies to the clans, it would be pretty even. My unit plays both, and I quite enjoy both. We switch back and forth.

I am really disappointed with PGI went so gun ho on IS that they forgot to make it even.

Keep in mind, I PLAY BOTH SIDES OF THE SPHERE.

What are your opinions?

Since Clans currently, and aside from the few instances that stupid levels of quirk OP an IS chassis, dominate the top tiers, and have pretty consistently won the FW events, (IIRC).... um, what are you talking about?

This is letting the IS do a small amount of catch up. and recall, if the SkilL Tree ever gets pushed past all the QQ? Say buh bye to your IS mechs uber offensive Quirks. Making these even more needed.

I also play both sides. And to be blunt, when I hear Clanners or IS whine that there is some agenda against one side of the other, I feel a strong urge to slap the hell out of them.

Clans are still stronger, at the top, than the IS, even with this. Tell me... what wonder gun did the IS just get that negates the KDK3 or Night Gyr?

#5 Ajantise

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBelgrade

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

The balanced game will be hard on clan players. They are used to play with a big advantage. How will they survive if IS players have an engine as they already have?

#6 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:56 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 March 2017 - 07:48 PM, said:

Erm, most of the stuff IS are getting Clans already have, makes it pretty close to even methinks.

And not only that, most of these things are going to be inferior versions to Clan tech. IS LFE is just a heavier Clan XL. Both Light FF and standard FF are objectively worse than Clan FF. Light Gauss weighs the same as Clan Gauss for half the damage. Heavy Gauss is too big and heavy for most mechs to use, and can only be mounted on a side torso with a standard engine. Rocket Launchers have no practical application.

#7 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:00 PM

View PostAjantise, on 14 March 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

The balanced game will be hard on clan players. They are used to play with a big advantage. How will they survive if IS players have an engine as they already have?

Pffft, LFE is still nowhere near as good as Clan XL, IS XL should have been balanced agasint it in the first place. Instead we now have another engine that isnt really needed.

#8 1Grimbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:03 PM

op... you should stop suc.... oh wait i can't say that here. i play both sides and clan is easy mode dude. real effing easy mode.

#9 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:04 PM

View PostCarl Vickers, on 14 March 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Pffft, LFE is still nowhere near as good as Clan XL, IS XL should have been balanced agasint it in the first place. Instead we now have another engine that isnt really needed.

Eh. LFE opens up a lot of possibilities for mechs that need the ST space. The Hunchback 4G comes to mind...

#10 1Grimbane

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,123 posts
  • Locationsafe. . . . . you'll never get me in my hidey hole.

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:11 PM

i can't wait to try the 4g with ultra ac 20, will be a nice change for once.

Edited by 1Grimbane, 14 March 2017 - 08:11 PM.

#11 I_AM_ZUUL

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,017 posts
  • LocationIsle of Skye (Freeing Skye from the Steiner usurpers)

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:18 PM

View Post1Grimbane, on 14 March 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

the Hunchback-IIC can already do TWO UAC20s... "balanced"

#12 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:20 PM

Not try to say the Uziel will be amazing, however....The thing can pack on 8 JJ's and have a rather large engine....PPC poptart anyone? She won't be your up front brawler like the Griffin, Hunchback, and Centy. Or the good gun boat as the Bushwacker and Shadowhawk...The Uziel is the IS Shadowcat/Hunchback IIC.

Anni though, yea not sure what to think there.

Cougar, it will be just ok very middle of the pack but not to great though....

Mad Cat Mk II, is it any surprise it will be the best 90 tonner, and probably best PPC Gauss assault, yes IMO might be better than the KDK 3 at this game.

#13 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Why do people keep thinking the Uziel will be a great PPC poptart? It won't. The Shadowhawk also packs a large engine and is the superior pop-tart all day, every day, for every reason there can possibly be: it's better shaped, it has better hard-point and cockpit locations, it has more armor, etc., etc.

Also, I'm holding you and your poll responsible for this.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 14 March 2017 - 08:25 PM.

#14 Jingseng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 962 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:32 PM

Off topic, but i am a bit underwhelmed by the cougar and mk2. I mean, a slow light in the 35t range (rather than anything in the 20 range?)...meh. The mk2... those side torsos are going to be the first to go, everytime, and quickly. And that's half your loadout.

The uziel looks great, imo. Fast as hell 50 tonner with mobility. Good spread of hardpoints, including what looks like two high torso mounts. Might be a little light on the tonnage for loadouts, but not bad for a fast flanker 50.

The anni... i dunno. Slow as bawls. I can see how they tried to raise the arm hard points (gogo flapping turkey mech). The head too could be vulnerable in a cyclops sorta way, but more so as it is pretty much just sticking out there by itself. The torsos though seem pretty compact as hitboxes though.

Both the anni and mk2 have comparatively small torsos and huge shield arms. I think the mk2 might suffer from those high shoulder boxes though. It will depend on the final product i guess.

#15 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:36 PM

Ya im sure a lot of clan players will not be happy about clan easy mode going away.

As for worth it? I look forward to a more balanced game , the only mech I would even think about buying is the mad2

#16 Mcgral18

• CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:40 PM

Clams will almost certainly reign supreme

In fact...nothing will probably change on their top end (but Spheroid robots have a chance to step up)
Depends on the power of the implemented weapons. hPPCs could do mid range poptarting as dangerously as Clams, or RACs could compete more reliably with the Clam Ultra Boats (notice "They can jam if fired for too long."), nothing about RNGeesus there. There is however the Ramp Down time...which may just get itself a Macro to avoid jamming altogether while maximizing DPS.
OR, there is an increasing RNGeesus amount for duration fired. TBD

ATMs may replace some Clam brawlers. ATM12 has the same heat per missile as a SRM6...but has 50% greater damage at short range. Cooldowns and Stealth Armor may put a hamper on them, though. If you can't get a Dorito, you can't get a lock.
Assuming Stealth Armor just sets "targetingFactor" to 0%

Edited by Mcgral18, 14 March 2017 - 08:40 PM.

#17 brroleg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 245 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:51 PM

Looks like IS gets more "fun" stuff, while Clan gets more "practical" stuff. From the "concept" it looks balanced.
Like for example

IS side gets RACs - it will be alot of fun to turn you mech into walking minigun, thats some new gameplay mechanic you have there, something new happening on the screen, you will get some new emotions from that BRRRRRT. But how it effective will be, since RACs jams just like UACs, is the question.

Clan side gets Heavy Lasers - it will be boring, same old lasers as before, nothing new happening on the screen. But it no doubt will be effective, cause most Clan mechs weakness is limited hardpoints, and Heavy Lasers will somewhat negate this weakness. Heavy Lasers will turn Clan mechs into boring but effective killing machines.

But how it will be in reality is depend purely on how PGI will balance this weapons. RACs can easy become ultimate OPness if they will not balance it carefully. And Heavy Lasers can easily become useless trash is they fail at balance.

Edited by brroleg, 14 March 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#18 Bogus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:20 PM

Clan still has lots of high torso hardpoints, Clan still has more/lighter guns, Clan still gets full-bore XL rather than somewhat heavier LFE, etc. and Clan is also getting some very potent new toys.

Clan will be fine, get the mechs that interest you.

#19 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:28 PM

Yeah go from pinpoint to spread from burst shells/dmg... I can see the improvement, and then, jams...

I'll single take pinpoint any day of the week.

#20 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:38 PM

except standard mechs are better than omnimechs. the only thing keeping it kindve balanced now is clans having better tech.

If you suddenly give IS the same tech as clans then omnimechs will need a new advantage. otherwise omnimechs will suck.

although clan standard mechs will likely be fine. but omnimechs are gonna need a serious buff.

Edited by Khobai, 14 March 2017 - 10:41 PM.

36 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 36 guests, 0 anonymous users