Unlock The "rule Of 3" While We Wait

23 replies to this topic

#1 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:35 PM

Since you are obviously going to do it with the new skill system, would you be so kind as unlock the availability of the full skill tree, for every mech, mastering without the requirement of 3 different chassis, now?

While we wait this would go a long way at least for me to stay in the game, it was one huge draw for me to return/play and invest more money into this game. Now tbh i feel like you sucker punched me and i feel like the reason to stay in until the skill system launches has worn off. I know im not the only one feeling this way.

I don't think there was a majority resistance towards, in essence, this change.

Could you please do it PGI?

#2 Taxxian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • LocationLeipzig

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:17 AM

No they wont.

The announced a new style of MechPack not coming in sets of 3... if you look at the CivilWar MechPacks they come in packs of 3 so the new style has been postponed indefinitely together with the skill tree.

If you than look at the delivery date: 21.7.2017 you can be quite sure we wont get any of the skill tree stuff before 22.8.2017

Most here seem to be happy that Skill Tree is gone... that comes together with rule of 3 staying and maybe even no engine decoupling or new crit system... but the last 2 may be implemented without SkillTree... maybe...

#3 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:23 AM

View PostTaxxian, on 15 March 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

No they wont.

The announced a new style of MechPack not coming in sets of 3... if you look at the CivilWar MechPacks they come in packs of 3 so the new style has been postponed indefinitely together with the skill tree.

If you than look at the delivery date: 21.7.2017 you can be quite sure we wont get any of the skill tree stuff before 22.8.2017

Most here seem to be happy that Skill Tree is gone... that comes together with rule of 3 staying and maybe even no engine decoupling or new crit system... but the last 2 may be implemented without SkillTree... maybe...

Dosent hurt to ask does it?
This is one of the main let downs with no skill system launching now.
They can keep their packs as is, the new mechs are not out for c-bills for months anyway and people who wont buy the packs wont buy them anyway and wait for the mechs to go c-bill route.
Most people happy? Look at the outcry in several forums, not only here.

Edited by Jubblator, 15 March 2017 - 12:26 AM.

#4 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:46 AM

I usually basic 2 variants with GXP, after that mastering 3 goes pretty fast not to mention 1, the one I really want. New players should be aware that you don't really need the master slot right away. I often seee this asked in chat.

#5 NidAlak

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:23 AM

I'm with Jubblator, Mechpacks can stay 3 mechs and even if I only need 1 for mastery, if I like the look of the mech I would still probably buy it, once you add the 30 days premium, yes, MPs are somewhat expensive, but they're still a fairly good price compared to some things, as grinding money for 3 mechs even with Premium time can take a while, and you're getting around $15 worth of premium time on top of the 3 mechs (with mechbays), all for $20. Again, not the cheapest thing, but I never felt bad about grabbing any of my MPs...

And while they might be unlikely to do it, I'm supportive of them getting rid of the rule of 3 in advance of the skill tree, if it's going to happen anyway might as well let people get used to it, and that would be very helpful for new players as well!

#6 Xetelian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:25 AM

Please remove the need to use 3 mechs to unlock 1 mech for mastery? Please.

This is just ruining this game and has been for a long time.

#7 Marius Evander

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

pretty sure most players aren't happy with improvements being delayed, just the vocal forum whales and lore grandpa's who fear change and keep pgi's lights on get what they want.

#8 Koruthaiolos

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 67 posts
  • LocationNorth Yorkshire

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

I would love if the rule of 3 was removed, even with the interim measure of increasing XP costs for mastery.

However.

We're not getting a new skill tree, get used to the rule of 3 being around for the foreseeable future. All their attention is now shifting to future tech which, despite being good for all, amounts to 4 mech packs and a bunch of different weapons and systems added into their database. Not exactly 3 months worth of work, but that artificial timeline for release will keep people on the hook.

The game seems to be on life-support... rather than actively being developed to flourish.

#9 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 06:15 AM

The rule of 3 has always been pretty arbitrary and weird.

Would it have been better if they had done it world of tanks style, and had a mini tech tree for each mech where you start with the base model and then branch out to unlock other variants with xp that you can then pay c-bills to convert your base chassis into?

Or simply not have the rule of 3 and find another way to encourage mech sales... not sure what that would look like. Variants are half off if you own the base model maybe?

#10 R Valentine

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:12 AM

They SHOULD do this, but they won't. PGI would rather screw you over than make life easier for you.

#11 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:14 AM

I really hope they do thou, if anything it would hold a lot of us over until they launch the new skill tree.
As it is now, i have lost all the excitement about playing and investing into this game further, due to the fact i don't trust they will actually release a new tree in any timely fashion.

So for me this move, would be a show of good faith on their part, affirming my belief that the system will launch eventually.

Edited by Jubblator, 15 March 2017 - 09:17 AM.

#12 Lcarowan

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:17 AM

View PostNidAlak, on 15 March 2017 - 02:23 AM, said:

I'm with Jubblator, Mechpacks can stay 3 mechs and even if I only need 1 for mastery, if I like the look of the mech I would still probably buy it, once you add the 30 days premium, yes, MPs are somewhat expensive, but they're still a fairly good price compared to some things, as grinding money for 3 mechs even with Premium time can take a while, and you're getting around $15 worth of premium time on top of the 3 mechs (with mechbays), all for $20. Again, not the cheapest thing, but I never felt bad about grabbing any of my MPs...

And while they might be unlikely to do it, I'm supportive of them getting rid of the rule of 3 in advance of the skill tree, if it's going to happen anyway might as well let people get used to it, and that would be very helpful for new players as well!

Unfortunately for the civil war mech packs the $20 ($15 for light) pack gets you no premium time anymore, and the $40 ($30 for light) pack gets you only 30 days active premium time.

#13 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostLcarowan, on 15 March 2017 - 09:17 AM, said:

Unfortunately for the civil war mech packs the $20 ($15 for light) pack gets you no premium time anymore, and the $40 ($30 for light) pack gets you only 30 days active premium time.

Even less incentive to buy into it before we know what will happen with the skill tree.
This looks a lot like a last ditch effort to salvage what is left of the player base due to the highly anticipated skill tree not launching, fair enough i guess.

#14 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 12:59 PM

Nope. This what people's action brought us back to. Can't just cherry pick what you like.

#15 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostTaxxian, on 15 March 2017 - 12:17 AM, said:

The announced a new style of MechPack not coming in sets of 3... if you look at the CivilWar MechPacks they come in packs of 3 so the new style has been postponed indefinitely together with the skill tree. If you than look at the delivery date: 21.7.2017 you can be quite sure we wont get any of the skill tree stuff before 22.8.2017
That is not proof that the new style is postponed indefinitely, It just proves that you can by 3 mechs in a pack with real money. Its the same as buying a "Performance Pack" from Steam.

View PostKiran Yagami, on 15 March 2017 - 09:12 AM, said:

They SHOULD do this, but they won't. PGI would rather screw you over than make life easier for you.
They won't because those who halted the update that would've done so need some punishment.

Edited by Athom83, 15 March 2017 - 01:08 PM.

#16 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:23 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 15 March 2017 - 12:59 PM, said:

Nope. This what people's action brought us back to. Can't just cherry pick what you like.

I don't see why not... but if you insist you can't, well, the status quo is preferable.

#17 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:34 PM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 15 March 2017 - 04:23 PM, said:

I don't see why not... but if you insist you can't, well, the status quo is preferable.

We don't get to have nice things after being a bunch of brats. And of course you're okay with it staying the same. Everyone's favorite things get to stay the same. And already we're seeing the stink of stagnation in regards to new tech. Like brats "They're getting more than me!" it doesn't matter that it's mostly catch up and weapons that trade off stats to to boost one stat to Clan levels. We can't get anything without people throw up a stink.

#18 soapyfrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 409 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 15 March 2017 - 04:34 PM, said:

We don't get to have nice things after being a bunch of brats. And of course you're okay with it staying the same. Everyone's favorite things get to stay the same. And already we're seeing the stink of stagnation in regards to new tech. Like brats "They're getting more than me!" it doesn't matter that it's mostly catch up and weapons that trade off stats to to boost one stat to Clan levels. We can't get anything without people throw up a stink.

We can have it if it's reasonably priced.

If we get a new thing and it will take me many months to several years of grinding to get back to where I was already (even if you think that's only 50-60 skill points per mech), then it doesn't matter how awesome it is.

If we get a new thing and I am being slapped with new grind and yet more c-bills taxation every time I want to respec, again, it does not matter how good it is.

For me that's the bottom line.

Now... it also transpires that the skill trees are convoluted, lacking in meaningful choice, and a buff to the strongest mechs in thegame while simultaneously nerfing (through removal of quirks) the worst mechs in the game. So there were a lot of reasons to dislike it apart from cost; however I would overlook ALL of that if the price were simply reasonable and affordable.

balance problems and structural problems, they can be fixed. Screwing up the cost, well, that is much harder to correct, especially when the players who mainly support the game and also play it the most have quit due to loss of progress and frustration at an endless grind.

#19 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:14 PM

View Postsoapyfrog, on 15 March 2017 - 04:45 PM, said:

We can have it if it's reasonably priced.

If we get a new thing and it will take me many months to several years of grinding to get back to where I was already (even if you think that's only 50-60 skill points per mech), then it doesn't matter how awesome it is.

If we get a new thing and I am being slapped with new grind and yet more c-bills taxation every time I want to respec, again, it does not matter how good it is.

For me that's the bottom line.

Now... it also transpires that the skill trees are convoluted, lacking in meaningful choice, and a buff to the strongest mechs in thegame while simultaneously nerfing (through removal of quirks) the worst mechs in the game. So there were a lot of reasons to dislike it apart from cost; however I would overlook ALL of that if the price were simply reasonable and affordable.

balance problems and structural problems, they can be fixed. Screwing up the cost, well, that is much harder to correct, especially when the players who mainly support the game and also play it the most have quit due to loss of progress and frustration at an endless grind.

It is reasonably price. The last figure we were getting for each skill was 45k and Russ was suggesting it would probably fall lower than that. That is cheaper without needing to purchase 3 mechs. And that's exactly why we won't see 3 mechs mastery being removed under the current skill system. They're not going to remove the c-bill sink of buying, upgrading, and equipping 3 mechs without replacing it with something else

Also you didn't need to pay c-bills to respec after the first PTS.

The real issue is with the whales. People with large collections of mechs and not enough modules to cover the cost of mastery. That's the only real issue with the skill tree. Sadly they didn't address it quickly enough and in a way that would satisfy them.

The lowering of quirks was quite perturbing. But I was also very interested to see what effect the engine decoupling would have on faction balance.

In any case. The reason we won't get 3 mech mastery is simply because nothing fills in the void of that c-bill sink.

#20 Sarsaparilla Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 664 posts
  • LocationGold Country

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:30 PM

If it was just the issue over the C-bill costs of the skill trees, they could have easily set the values low for a month or so, then increased them as needed to account for the influx of C-bills in the economy, so it really has to be more than just the economy for them to postpone it that long. I think they were just too used to releasing 3-mech packs that they are having a hard time breaking the cycle. With all the new tech they are releasing soon, that really would have been enough of a C-bill sink that they didn't need to make the skill tree suck up all the loose C-bills. The other issue is...why does hoarding C-bills matter? You can't trade them among players, it's not a world economy like you see in WoW or any other RPG.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users