Remove So Called "rule Of Three"

14 replies to this topic

Poll: Should "Rule of Three" be removed? (33 member(s) have cast votes)

Remove requirement of having three mechs of same type needed for mastering chassis?

1. Yes, remove it and allow every mech to be mastered. (30 votes [90.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 90.91%

2. Yes, remove it but add different handicaps. (please describe) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. No, leave it as it is. (3 votes [9.09%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

4. Change it. (please describe) (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 01:37 PM

Since new "Skill Tree" got indefinitely postponed, while many people already started to clear their inventories expecting that many mechs and modules won't be needed anymore, should "Rule of Three" be removed?

#2 Bleit

Rookie

• 9 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 15 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

I hate to be cynical, but the rule of three is there to sell mechs for real money to impatient players.

Frankly I'm surprised it's going away with the new skill tree. Good on PGI for that much.

#3 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:32 PM

You will still want to get additional mechs for the different configurations and load up different skills if you wanted to.
Seeing as it will go with the introduction of the skill tree, this request can be considered 'answered'.
:)

#4 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 11:31 PM

View Post50 50, on 15 March 2017 - 05:32 PM, said:

You will still want to get additional mechs for the different configurations and load up different skills if you wanted to.
Seeing as it will go with the introduction of the skill tree, this request can be considered 'answered'.
Posted Image

Yeah i mean it is, we just want it unlocked BEFORE they launch the skill tree. This part of the skill tree was one huge draw for me (and others), now its delayed indefinitely. So until then, since they were gonna do it any way, why not give us a carrot to hold us over till they actually launch the patch.

It cant be that hard to implement and it would go a long way when it comes to me playing and spending cash on this game tbh.

It would prove they are serious about the skill tree coming out, because as it stands now, i must admit i lost faith in it ever showing up.

Edited by Jubblator, 15 March 2017 - 11:33 PM.

#5 Baron Zen

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 371 posts
  • LocationVenice (Italy)

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:48 AM

I want to use my favored versions,to xp others dont make too much sense for me since when I choose a variant it has what I want to play and the others are just grind and will take dust in my garage, i can understand the marketing behind the variants but could do the same marketing by selling packs of single mechs, more fun for me.

#6 NidAlak

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 16 March 2017 - 07:39 AM

I'll throw out something... I know I would still buy mechpacks of 3 mechs for $20 and such (once I have the money for it again) even if I only need 1 to master it, I think for many of those who buy mechs (maybe I'm wrong though) that we're willing to buy them not because we NEED all 3 to master, but because we want multiple and are willing to spend money on it. Heck, some of my Packs weren't even early adopter and I still don't regret them, spent $20 then another $15 for the cyclops pack months ago and then for my sleipnir, maybe I don't play them ALL the time, but I don't regret that money being spent at all. Posted Image

So I can see many paying customers still willing to shell out money for the mechpacks as-is even with the rule of 3 gone, I have no problem with it going away even though I like having multiple variants.

Edit: I will add though, they might very well have to increase the XP costs of the basic/elite skills if they do away with it as a temporary measure til the tree drops, simply because I could get a mech elited in a bit over a dozen games otherwise, which isn't BAD, but might be a bit fast... we'll see

Edited by NidAlak, 16 March 2017 - 07:41 AM.

#7 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 553 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 16 March 2017 - 01:18 PM

View PostBleit, on 15 March 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

I hate to be cynical, but the rule of three is there to sell mechs for real money to impatient players.

Frankly I'm surprised it's going away with the new skill tree. Good on PGI for that much.

Not so fast. PGI is also cheapening out with the upcoming packs. Before, a standard pack got you 30 days of banked premium time and 60 for the collectors. Now, collectors get you only 30 days while standard gets you none. So they are still in it for the money, period. Just look and compare the packs for yourself.

Edited by Jep Jorgensson, 16 March 2017 - 01:19 PM.

#8 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

View PostNidAlak, on 16 March 2017 - 07:39 AM, said:

I'll throw out something... I know I would still buy mechpacks of 3 mechs for $20 and such (once I have the money for it again) even if I only need 1 to master it, I think for many of those who buy mechs (maybe I'm wrong though) that we're willing to buy them not because we NEED all 3 to master, but because we want multiple and are willing to spend money on it. Heck, some of my Packs weren't even early adopter and I still don't regret them, spent $20 then another $15 for the cyclops pack months ago and then for my sleipnir, maybe I don't play them ALL the time, but I don't regret that money being spent at all. Posted Image

So I can see many paying customers still willing to shell out money for the mechpacks as-is even with the rule of 3 gone, I have no problem with it going away even though I like having multiple variants.

Edit: I will add though, they might very well have to increase the XP costs of the basic/elite skills if they do away with it as a temporary measure til the tree drops, simply because I could get a mech elited in a bit over a dozen games otherwise, which isn't BAD, but might be a bit fast... we'll see

They can make me pay c-bills for the skill tree as is as far as i care xD I just abhor the current system, if anything i hate playing with chassis i dislike just to get that mastery on the one i really love. Thats my main gripe with the current system =)
So go for it PGI.
As for mech packs, i would most likely buy 3 if even 2 out of 3 were interesting. Most of the time tho i end up only interested in the 1 and then i have to shell out for 2 others that i dont want or need.
I agree on some mech packs, Marauder IIC i play almost all of them.
I look forward to when they sell mechs in individual packages (still having different variants, but selling them individually).

#9 NidAlak

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • LocationOhio, USA

Posted 18 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

Yeah, I'm also looking forward to mechs having the option of being bought individually from the packs, but at the same time I have a vague feeling that it might end up like the A La Carte mechs from the big packs, you could pay $30 per tier, or pay $55 for first chassis, $50 for second chassis, and $45 for 3rd chassis (maybe it wasn't quite that bad, going off memory from a LONG time ago, cause I never looked at the individuals again after the first time I saw the costs). If they keep it reasonable, maybe around $7 for heavy/assault variant and $5 per medium/light variant, then I can see myself dropping a couple bucks here and there EASY to pick and choose to play around, but I'm going to expect closer to $7-8 for lights, and $10 for medium/heavy/assault. And maybe those costs make more sense for them managing to get paid every month, but I know I wouldn't be dropping as much money in general cause I would only grab an occasional here or there rather than getting multiples of a chassis in most cases (coming from someone who enjoys having 3 variants per chassis simply to be prodded to try different builds, lol). Ofc, heroes would still be $15 per, and the "special" variants would probly cost the same.

Short version, depends how they implement it, if they go with reasonable prices it'll be an amazing thing. (Might get more people in general to shell out, want that Clan assault without farming 20+ mil cbills? toss $7 at the game, and only need that single variant to master it! Until you like it so much you want a 2nd variant ;) )

#10 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 04:49 PM

Yeah i think i would overall drop more money on individual mechs, some mech packs i just simply ignore since i want just that 1 mech. So ill buy it with c-bills whenever it gets released that way.
If you would be looking at me, i would definitely put down more money into the game.

Edited by Jubblator, 21 March 2017 - 04:49 PM.

#11 Chound

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 300 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:08 AM

View PostBleit, on 15 March 2017 - 02:09 PM, said:

Rule of three applies to all mechs even those you buy at the store. buying a mech or mastery pack will give you enough mechs but not the mechpacks.

#12 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:28 PM

Call me wierd but i think if a mech pack is good i would buy it nevertheless, i think this rule turns off A LOT of new players (did to many friends of mine). Its bad its old and makes this game unnecessarily grindy.

Edited by Jubblator, 22 March 2017 - 02:29 PM.

#13 Anthrax87

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:18 AM

One of the reasons I started playing the game more actively was because of the skill tree changes. Now that you've delayed it... it's kinda sucky.

#14 Captain Grayson Lighthorse

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 12:34 PM

I say yes to getting rid of the rule of three. I don't want to buy or master three Mechs of a particular chassis if I only want one of them to play.

I think they could still offer the three Mech pack, but let the player choose which three Mechs they want in that pack. I would be much more willing to pay for a three Mech pack bundle if it had three Mechs that "I want" in it! There are several Mech packs that I didn't buy because I didn't want the other Mechs in the pack. If I could have chosen the ones I wanted, I would have spent the money.

They might could even keep the choices within one or two weight chassis groups like heavy/assault or light/medium maybe. Having it open to choose whatever Mechs I wanted in a pack would be the most desired option however. I think they would sell a LOT more Mech packs if they did this. They could even offer four or six Mech Mech packs and if I got to choose the Mechs, I would be interested in buying them.

This just sounds like good, common sense business to me.

#15 Jubblator

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 183 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 11:40 PM

So we have 3 votes on no...interesting xD

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users