Mastering Summoner, Gargoyle, Executioner

17 replies to this topic

#1 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:02 AM

As the "Skill Tree" is gone, is it worth to waste time to elite and master those mechs? I do have them all basic and all I care about is mobility. I know that for some mechs, esp. lighter ones it's definitely a must, but for some other mechs it does not make that big difference. So what about Summoner, Gargoyle and Executioner?

Also, in order elite a mech I need to unlock all basic skills on any three variants and in order to master it, I need to unlock all elite skills on any three mechs of same tonnage class, right? But what if I will master Executioner and then sell remaining variants? Can I - for example - rebuy them later and they will be still mastered? Also if I would lets say farm 200k XP on each Executioner version and then sell all leaving myself with just one, would I still get those 200k XP back after rebuying?

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 16 March 2017 - 08:08 AM.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 16 March 2017 - 08:02 AM, said:

As the "Skill Tree" is gone, is it worth to waste time to elite and master those mechs? I do have them all basic and all I care about is mobility. I know that for some mechs, esp. lighter ones it's definitely a must, but for some other mechs it does not make that big difference. So what about Summoner, Gargoyle and Executioner?

Also, in order elite a mech I need to unlock all basic skills on any three variants and in order to master it, I need to unlock all elite skills on any three mechs of same tonnage class, right? But what if I will master Executioner and then sell remaining variants? Can I - for example - rebuy them later and they will be still mastered? Also if I would lets say farm 200k XP on each Executioner version and then sell all leaving myself with just one, would I still get those 200k XP back after rebuying?

Probably not.
It was stated that (for the PTS anyway) it would only take the cbills and XP spent up until February to make that refund.

It is unknown if it will update to a certain time in March and if it does, it will be short of some time prior to patch day.

#3 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:19 AM

You can even make XP on a Trial Mech, buy it later and use the XP to do its skill tree.

I suggest unlocking them all, they will play better. And if you are playing them and making XP, it really is not a waste although I do know what you are saying. There are simply some IS Varients I will never play.

And I believe if you sell one and buy it back, the XP will still be with it.

Edited by LikeUntoGod, 16 March 2017 - 08:21 AM.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:23 AM

What Like said is true.

However Skill Tree is being implemented on the 21st.
Usually they do a snapshot of accounts for refunds (or in the case of PTS, copies of what you have) about a week prior so anything you do between then and launch tends to be for not.

Again I have no idea if they will do it the same way they usually would for a PTS update and they got better about doing this sort of thing than they were in 2012.

#5 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:26 AM

https://mwomercs.com...e-status-update

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

In that case, master away.

#7 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 08:53 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 March 2017 - 08:35 AM, said:

In that case, master away.

hehe

#8 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 09:03 AM

But here is the problem, total amount of C-Bills required for purchasing those and mastering (x2 of each) is 95 million C-Bills. After selling them back for around 31 million C-Bills whole mastery thing costs me 64 million C-Bills. That is without weapons and modules. Is it worth to spend so much? The actual 5 million C-Bills for mastering single chassis that new "Skill Tree" would have to offer is actually so much cheaper. It's actually few times cheaper than lone modules required to use and I didn't even calculate those. I don't really get crywhales.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 16 March 2017 - 09:12 AM.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 16 March 2017 - 09:03 AM, said:

But here is the problem, total amount of C-Bills required for purchasing those and mastering (x2 of each) is 95 million C-Bills. After selling them back for around 31 million C-Bills whole mastery thing costs me 64 million C-Bills. That is without weapons and modules. Is it worth to spend so much? The actual 5 million C-Bills for mastering single chassis that new "Skill Tree" would have to offer is actually so much cheaper. It's actually few times cheaper than lone modules required to use and I didn't even calculate those. I don't really get crywhales.

I agree the most recent version of the skill tree would be an improvement over the current version on live, there of course were problems which would have taken time to resolve but PGI were already working on resolving them, and costs were to go down significantly again.

with costs at the levels they were at the end of the PTS I would have had enough cbills and GXP to master about 80 Mechs after the refunds, and I only realy outfited15 Mechs with modules. I do have over 200 Mechs, but less than a dozen get anything resembeling regular use.

the major issues people were complaining about were not cost, they were things like;

the number of clicks required, it took me about 10 minutes each Mech to figure out and select all the skills for each Mech, in my case mastering 80+ that would get old pretty quickly, but would not have been an issue for future Mech purchases where you would select a few skills each match.

having to unlock skills you do not want, but the only case I can think of where that would hurt a build was having to take cooldown (rate of fire) to get to heat reduction (if I want heat reduction it is because the Mech is running hoter than I would like, so I most certainly do not want it firing faster)

#10 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:18 PM

Here is an example that a few of us talked about during a game on the PTS. Two of us were using a Mech with ECM. But to get the "2nd ECM boost", we also had to take at least one Radar Derp. And a Mech with ECM does not need Radar Derp.

I read where a couple of people did the math and it will take about 45 skill nodes just to get to where your mech is now. I kind of like the old system. I can even see where doing 3 mechs makes sense if they are battle mechs when each one has totally different hardpoints.

If I was doing it, I'd keep the system we have and add more modules and more module slots.

If we had to make a change, I do not want a tree, I want a row or column. If I want 4 range then I simply go I, 2, 3, and 4 down the column. KEEP IT SIMPLE.

Take the tree, cut it down, mill it into boards and make benches out of it.

#11 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:22 AM

When eliting mech - can I buy one variant, unlock everything possible then sell it, buy another variant, unlock everything possible and sell it and finally buy third variant, unlock everything possible and start eliting it? Is it going to be unlocked this way when I own just single copy? If I would later re-buy it, would it be already elited? Same question for mastering.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 17 March 2017 - 12:43 AM.

#12 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 17 March 2017 - 12:44 AM

View PostKoniving, on 16 March 2017 - 08:23 AM, said:

What Like said is true.

Usually they do a snapshot of accounts for refunds (or in the case of PTS, copies of what you have) about a week prior so anything you do between then and launch tends to be for not.

Again I have no idea if they will do it the same way they usually would for a PTS update and they got better about doing this sort of thing than they were in 2012.

Uh Kon are you sure ?
From the last time I read the Updates to Skilltree it said:

"[...] Based on results and feedback from the recent rounds of public testing we have decided to delay the release of the new Skill Tree until a future patch. While the date of its release is yet to be determined, we’d like to stress that the Skill Tree will be undergoing continued development and iteration in preparation for future rounds of public testing prior to release in a future patch. We strongly believe in the merits of a deeper Skill Tree system and fully intend to release the new Skill Tree when the feature is in a more refined state. [...]"

So there is actually no release date defined and lots of ppl think Skill Tree will go the way of every other basic gameplay changes PGI tryed to implement in the past. (Energy draw, Laser Lock and Info Warfare etc.)

So....my two ct about the new skilltree ?
Don't wait for it.

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 17 March 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

When eliting mech - can I buy one variant, unlock everything possible then sell it, buy another variant, unlock everything possible and sell it and finally buy third variant, unlock everything possible and start eliting it? Is it going to be unlocked this way when I own just single copy? Same question for mastering.

No, to be able to unlock the ability to spend XP on elite skills you need to own 3 basic unlocked variants.
Thats three variants of one chassis that have all basic skills unlocked.
As soon as this happened you may sell any amount of your chassis to elite the remaining.

Edited by The Basilisk, 17 March 2017 - 12:47 AM.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:36 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 17 March 2017 - 12:22 AM, said:

When eliting mech - can I buy one variant, unlock everything possible then sell it, buy another variant, unlock everything possible and sell it and finally buy third variant, unlock everything possible and start eliting it? Is it going to be unlocked this way when I own just single copy? If I would later re-buy it, would it be already elited? Same question for mastering.

if you unlock all basics, sell the Mech, then unlock basics on the other 2 varients and rebuy that first varient yes you would still have all basics unlocked and be able to progress straight onto elites.

at current the skills are unlocked per varient, not for the specific Mech so if you unlock something then later buy another of that varient the unlocks will still be there.

however when the new skill tree comes a few months down the road you will just get the XP refunded

#14 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:57 AM

So I have to keep those variants in my mech bays all the time when I'm unlocking but after that I can dispose of them(all)?

#15 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 March 2017 - 04:35 AM

You can, but, why?

Never sell a mech. You never know when there might be a buff coming to improve it etc. Selling just to buy back later, no point.

#16 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:01 AM

I'm not a mech collector, sorry.

I don't have mech bays nor C-Bills so I sell to get cash back. Only need extra variants to unlock elite/mastery for certain mechs that I plan to have 1 variant of each. Also I like to keep just few mechs I enjoy, that are always fully equipped and ready for combat.

Edited by G4LV4TR0N, 17 March 2017 - 05:15 AM.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:15 AM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 17 March 2017 - 12:44 AM, said:

Uh Kon are you sure ?
From the last time I read the Updates to Skilltree it said:

Was corrected already and said in that case master away.

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 05:44 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 16 March 2017 - 02:18 PM, said:

Here is an example that a few of us talked about during a game on the PTS. Two of us were using a Mech with ECM. But to get the "2nd ECM boost", we also had to take at least one Radar Derp. And a Mech with ECM does not need Radar Derp.

the diferance between that example and my example, about having to take cooldown to get to heat gen, is that having rader deprivation with ECM does not hurt, while having to take cooldown (rate of fire) to get heat reduction completely nulifies the advantage of heat reduction, as in being able to fire as fast as the weapons recycle with lower heat.

having to take a skill which does not help is the price you pay for getting something you want, while having to take a skill which hurts the intent of your build to get a skill which benefits it by less than the damage of the damaging skill ends up with the Mech running hotter than it would have without ether

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users