Reducing Lrm Range In Favor Or Less Spread As Well?

29 replies to this topic

#21 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

LRMs are MWO's nerf baby. They have been nerfed, nerfed, nerfed. Some nerfs are stealth nerfs like the angle of attack nerf in January 2015 that hits Clan versions worse. It requires you to be nearly dead-on to the target's CT to not hit one shoulder. Lame and never mentioned, but I was using a Vulture with 3x A-LRM15, TAG, modules, at the time as my main mech and it's LRMs suddenly were garbage on Jan 15th's patch of 2015. Most players didn't care or didn't believe anything had happened, but the LRM complaint threads on the Forums dropped from 5 to 6 continuous to none that month.

So asking for a spread reduction in exchange for a range reduction is risking the loss of the spread reduction on the first rant, but keeping the range reduction. PGI does not want working missiles. I do want working missiles. It is essential to keeping me as an interested MWO player. So I don't play as much as I did prior to 2015. If MWO is just laser-fart and short range bang-bang it's no better than Quake. I want the BattleTech Mech Sim.

Edited by Lightfoot, 17 March 2017 - 08:22 AM.

#22 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:05 AM

i would like to have working LRMs reducing the range to 630 would help some,
especially when that would come with a buff to other Stats that it may need x2Velocity, -1.0Spread?

please remember LaserAMS & Stealth Armor are comings out,
im planing to running 3 LaserAMS on my KFX, & NVA, both will huts missiles alot,
other than ASM boaters like the above, All mechs could now more easily take AMS now,
as LaserAMS is ammo Free making it a 1-1.5Ton Ammo Less AMS,

i feel LRMs will go extinct with whats coming out,
which is why i feel this LRM rework should come out before then,

#23 Ngamok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:28 AM

View PostFupDup, on 16 March 2017 - 07:08 PM, said:

Their "effective" range isn't anywhere near 1000 meters anyways, so their TT range would be plenty for most situations.

Very few people use them at 1000m. I will never fire at anything past 700m because they will either get under cover or I can't see them and they are already behind cover which I just hit geometry at that point.

#24 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

View PostNgamok, on 17 March 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Very few people use them at 1000m. I will never fire at anything past 700m because they will either get under cover or I can't see them and they are already behind cover which I just hit geometry at that point.

did a test with Missiles at 800m(max radar range) it takes 6.5sec for your missiles to fly and hit your target,
thats 6.5 seconds of missile warning to get to cover, and thats not even LRM Max Range(1000m)
if LRMs are useful over 630m why not reduce the Range to what its supposed to be, and buff them another way?

#25 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

I would say cut the lrm engines at 630m letting them continue their trajectory straight after that and explode on impact. So no more steering to follow the target after 630m. With artemis, the missiles have a maintained lock bonus of 1sec until 630m. So if the target hide, they will continue to steer for 1 sec but not farther than 630m.

Let the srm cut their engines at 270m, but drop bad and fast after 270m with better grouping with artemis.

Edited by Damnedtroll, 17 March 2017 - 10:06 AM.

#26 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostNgamok, on 17 March 2017 - 09:28 AM, said:

Every single time I see an LRM boat, they fire into everything... walls, terrain... regardless of distance required to travel (and some still fire beyond 1000m).

The intelligence level of the average LRM boat tends to be a lot lower in general (but same could be said for PUG matches in general).

I tell some LRM boaters than the LRM range module is a trap, and they don't seem to care or listen when the more practical distance to use it is far less than the max range.

I don't even know how to convince LRM boaters to get better at their own craft (as telling them off isn't helpful either), so... I give up.

Edited by Deathlike, 17 March 2017 - 10:08 AM.

#27 Andi Nagasia

Volunteer Moderator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 5,982 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 17 March 2017 - 10:04 AM, said:

I would say cut the lrm engines at 630m letting them continue their trajectory straight after that and explode on impact. So no more steering to follow the target after 630m. With artemis, the missiles have a maintained lock bonus of 1sec until 630m. So

but this would just be a Nerf to Current LRMs, which Track upto 1000,
im saying nerf the Range of Current LRMs to 630(21Hex's(LoreRange) then Buff the Velocity and Spread,

#28 Cabusha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 533 posts
  • LocationAK

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:49 AM

View PostAndi Nagasia, on 16 March 2017 - 07:56 PM, said:

well if the Range were reduced to 630 so called Potatos would quickly learn they cant farm Damage like that anymore,
a couple very low Damage, and getting no C-bills they will learn to move forward abit, and move into position,

Nah, I still seeERLL Ravens trying to "snipe" at 1800 meters the entire match. And this is in group queue where they should know better. Selfish players will always be selfish, regardless of the lack of damage dealt.

#29 Lances107

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Commander
  • Nova Commander
  • 291 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 10:58 AM

You can discuss lore vrs game all you want, and LRMS vrs other weapons. At the core you will always have a few rookies trying to fire way beyond 1000s meters or 1000 meters with there LRMS. However the problem right now is not the rookies, the problem is with the current range of LRM, it encourages those rookies to go for the LRM boat and to keep using it. Now you reduce the range of LRMs suddenly they will start asking questions, start realizing that LRMs are one piece of the puzzle, and not the whole. So Yes reduce the range to 630 meters, the spread may cause an issue, but it may not as the tonage for the LRM is still there.

#30 Lightfoot

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:11 PM

In my opinion what hurts LRMs the most is the angle of attack nerf I mentioned at the top of the page. You can get a fairly narrow footprint with LRMs now on some mech configurations, but if they just splash over one shoulder they won't do much damage.

Go into Testing Grounds and shoot some LRMs at the mechs aiming straight on their Center Torsos. Then move off slightly to one side, 10 degrees or so, and watch how much damage they do only hitting one shoulder. That's the Jan 2015 nerf that basically ended the LRM complaint posts on the forums. There is no mention of it anywhere, maybe it was a secondary effect of something else? Anyway, before Jan. 2015 that did good damage spread across the mech's shoulder and CT, now it just hits the shoulder, even if the mechs' shoulder is gone! Have them fix that first and you won't need to do anything else.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users