- - - - -

I Need Builds For Thunderbolts And Warhammers Please

13 replies to this topic

#1 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:36 PM

I hate playing them and cannot seem to get a decent build that works. I'm doing like 100 damage per match.

I went back to Standard engines and I'm trying to find something that works.

I have the TDR-5S-T, TDR-9S and the TDR-9SE.

And the WHM-6D, WHM-6R(S), WHM-7S and the WHM-BW.

I knew the Thunderbolts were to be laser based and I expected the Warhammers to be the same only to be told, strip the arms and go with Ballistics.

#2 Aleksandr Sergeyevich Kerensky

• 1,187 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:55 PM

I don't know if things have changed, but the thunderbolt builds I used to run were either LPL, LL or mpl boats.

As for war hammers, have you tried pairing ac5s and ppcs?

#3 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 March 2017 - 07:43 PM

TDR-9S is so far, my favourite Thunderbolt to date. If you want a bit more cooling an heat, just pull the right arm laser an drop the armour down to eight there.

TDR-9SE is one of the very few builds I ever put large lasers on. They're pulse, so not the worst, but still, a bit outta my usual.

As for the warhammers. Well, IS ballistics are strong.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 19 March 2017 - 07:43 PM.

#4 Reverend Herring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:01 PM

WHM-6R and BW:
Put twin LBX10 or AC10 and add 4MPLs. XL280/XL300 engine. Fill up with ammo and a couple of heat sinks. Profit.

Or you can swap the MPLs for a couple of PPCs.

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:20 AM

There are extensive threads for both of those venerable mechs in the Guides&Strategies forum subforum Battlemechs. (Its the 4th forum from top of the forums homepage)
f.e.: --Whammy

Posted Image

#6 Malrock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 313 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:14 AM

With regard to the Warhammers:

Black widow is a lot of fun, i recall running it with 2x UAC 5 and 2x AC5

For the 6R I think I went with dual uac 5 and 4 mpl.

There aren't many good builds for the 7 usally srm's and some lasers.

The 6d is your laser boat.

#7 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,061 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:35 AM

TDR-9 (2x ERPPC, 4x slas, 2x mg, 14 DHS, endo, 295 STD)
or
TDR-9 (6x mlas, 2x ASRM6, 17 DHS, endo, 295/300 STD)

TDR-9SE (2x LPLAS, 3x mlas, 19 DHS, endo, 285 STD)

TDR-TD (3x ERLAS, 5-6 slas, endo, 280-295 STD)

TDR-5SS (6x mplas, 1x mlas, 20 DHS, endo, 300 STD)

Edited by Spheroid, 20 March 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#8 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

View PostLeone, on 19 March 2017 - 07:43 PM, said:

TDR-9S is so far, my favourite Thunderbolt to date. If you want a bit more cooling an heat, just pull the right arm laser an drop the armour down to eight there.

TDR-9SE is one of the very few builds I ever put large lasers on. They're pulse, so not the worst, but still, a bit outta my usual.

As for the warhammers. Well, IS ballistics are strong.

~Leone.

Your 9SE has two narcs on it. Why do you need two narcs?

#9 warner2

• 1,101 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:00 AM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 19 March 2017 - 06:36 PM, said:

I hate playing them and cannot seem to get a decent build that works. I'm doing like 100 damage per match.

I went back to Standard engines and I'm trying to find something that works.

I have the TDR-5S-T, TDR-9S and the TDR-9SE.

And the WHM-6D, WHM-6R(S), WHM-7S and the WHM-BW.

I knew the Thunderbolts were to be laser based and I expected the Warhammers to be the same only to be told, strip the arms and go with Ballistics.

First of all I would say if you are only getting 100 per match the first thing you should think about is the way you play. You should be able to get more than 100 damage with minimal weaponry on any mech in the game. Stick with your team mates, use weapons that you can engage with at medium range, fight from cover, know when to bug out, etc. Working on your basic game play will help rather than specific builds if you are struggling to make any impact at all.

That said there are some good builds for the Thunderbolt here: http://metamechs.com...es/thunderbolt/ They may be a little dated however generally they give you an idea of a focused, effective build. I think it's wise to go back to a standard engine as the Thunderbolt is one of those mechs that has good builds without needing an XL. An XL can pay off but it's a risk / reward thing and it's not needed on a Thunderbolt.

As for the Warhammer I don't have them but generally I think they are much stronger than the Thunderbolt so you might want to concentrate on those.

#10 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 20 March 2017 - 12:50 PM

Try: www.metamechs.com

View PostMalrock, on 20 March 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

4 LPL

#11 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:08 PM

View PostMalrock, on 20 March 2017 - 08:14 AM, said:

What? There are plenty. The issue is, you MUST run IS XL to be decent/competitive. 7S has 15% duration, duration is king for dmg spreading while killing what you are shooting at.

SRM/MPL - 74PT

ERL/LL mix

Laser Vom

a STD engine 4 LPL, it's just, slow...

#12 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:04 PM

I like the one with the srms, but I prefer not to artemis mine an just use a standard 300 engine.

View Postwarner2, on 20 March 2017 - 08:49 AM, said:

Your 9SE has two narcs on it. Why do you need two narcs?

I do not need two narcs. I wanted them. Also I was too lazy to reconfigure, an when a friend wanted me to drop inna few narc mechs in CW, I just found some mechs with SRM 6s an ripped out the SRMs for a straight up narc replacement. I found em useful enough to keep. As for having two... well, I'm still not the best with the slow delivery time of the narc beacons. So I've a second so I can spam em.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 20 March 2017 - 06:34 PM.

#13 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:49 PM

I have a TDR-5S that I think was 3ea LL and 2ea SRM4s. Isn't bad, largely due to the current quirks. No idea what will happen to it after the skill tree change. I really, REALLY want to get a -9S sometime and try a build with 2 PPCs in the RT (those mounts seem super high), but I'm out of mechbays at the moment. Posted Image

I totally agree with people suggesting XLs with their Warhammers. I tried a bunch of standard engine brawl builds with them and was disappointed 95% of the time. They were either too slow and/or had too small a weapons loadout. I had a really successful -6D build with 3ea LPL and a bunch of smaller lasers and as many heatsinks as I could cram onto it. However, I didn't think until now to try a similar build on the -7s for the duration quirk until Justcallme A S H mentioned it. Not sure if LPLs + 15% duration quirk is overkill compared to LL +15% duration, but there's only one way to find out...

The WHM-6R is one of my favorite 'spur-of-the-moment' build mechs because there are so many different builds you can try out with it. You can even do a dual AC20 build with it, but it seemed exceptionally slow to me. I ran a dual UAC5 build +lasers and had some exceptionally high damage games, but it also felt like I was spending too much time staring at the enemy in order to spam those weapons, so I had games where I wouldn't be twisting enough and I'd lose a torso too quickly and die early. I did have some dual AC10 and LB10X builds that did well, but I haven't tried one of the 2ea LB10X + 2ea PPC or LPL builds yet (been too busy trying out light mechs)

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

View PostErronius, on 20 March 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

However, I didn't think until now to try a similar build on the -7s for the duration quirk until Justcallme A S H mentioned it. Not sure if LPLs + 15% duration quirk is overkill compared to LL +15% duration, but there's only one way to find out...

For laser vomit it's great, more so to get the ML down given it's duration is longer than the LPL. Almost gets the ML duration down to LPL (standard).

Or you can run LPL/MPL and almost twist as you shoot and get the full burn out as it's under .5sec duration :)

I find it works well but then I torso twist like crazy when in battle - keep that IS XL alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users