Persistent Quick Play Servers

6 replies to this topic

#1 disarray

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:52 PM

hi. any chance of getting persistent quick play servers like in team fortress 2 etc.?

shuffling to a new team of new people every game makes it difficult to recognise people and play with them more regularly. it would also increase the use of the inbuilt voip as you're not communicating with randoms for 10 minutes then moving onto the next one.

set up a few persistent servers you could queue for, and then play a few matches then shuffle the teams if one side is being stomped.

i think this would improve player engagement with their teams if they could actually have a reliable team for a while. thanks.

#2 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 19 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Or you know....

You can try and friend them and sync drop. Or group drops for that matter.

#3 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

Yeah, group drop is your ally.

#4 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:47 AM

I would like to see persistant Servers not because of droping with certain people but for something like Battlefield battles.
Haveing different objectives on the map like an airfield for airsupport, additinal droppoints, an artillerie placement to caputre...stuff like that and you fight for it to make it easier to crack open the enemys Fortress or hitting the invaders Overlord Dropships, standing at the spaceport.
Give people endless respawns and just have a timer, killcounter or "final goal reached" end condition to it.

Problem I see is map size. IIRC the original cryengine only supported 4x4km big maps. Don't know if PGI has taken away that limit but Polar Highlands surely feels like its bigger...or the mechs are smaller Posted Image

Anyway it could be very interesting to have objectives that matter and an ongoing battle with constantly shifitng front lines.

#5 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 02:09 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 19 March 2017 - 06:54 PM, said:

Or you know....

You can try and friend them and sync drop. Or group drops for that matter.

View PostEl Bandito, on 19 March 2017 - 11:57 PM, said:

Yeah, group drop is your ally.

You know, it could also be something PGI could monetize other than mech packs and MC.

Battlefield 3 and 4 did this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Battlefield 1 does it as well. People paid like $100 to have their own private server running for like 6 months.

Giving people the ability to run their own servers, with the ability to choose what game modes show up, what mechs can be used, etc etc, would probably also send a real message to PGI about exactly what's wrong with their game as well, and we obviously can't have that now can we? Everything's got to be sunshine and unicorns farting rainbows with PGI doesn't it?

#6 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:58 AM

View PostAlan Davion, on 20 March 2017 - 02:09 AM, said:

You know, it could also be something PGI could monetize other than mech packs and MC.

Battlefield 3 and 4 did this, and I wouldn't be surprised if Battlefield 1 does it as well. People paid like $100 to have their own private server running for like 6 months.

Giving people the ability to run their own servers, with the ability to choose what game modes show up, what mechs can be used, etc etc, would probably also send a real message to PGI about exactly what's wrong with their game as well, and we obviously can't have that now can we? Everything's got to be sunshine and unicorns farting rainbows with PGI doesn't it?

Tweet it to Russ, mate. Maybe he will consider it.

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:08 AM

While I like the idea of private servers and think that, if PGI takes a look at what is played most on these and what rules are used could use the data to make the game better, I think the playerbase isn't big enough.

Haveing private servers would most likely result in the bigger groups to split up to do their own thing and those who are casual or new players and drop into QP will be faced with a nearly non existing population.

Thats also a reason why I think a persistant gamemode could work with a small playerbase. You don't have to wait for the MM to find a complete team, just take the first free spot that presents itself.
As for teams, they might have to wait till a comparable sized team also drops in but we do that allready for QP so not that much different.
Other option would be do reduce teamsizes for persistent maps to a max of 4 people and increase the overall teamsize to a Battelion AKA 36 mechs per side and here we run again in the problem of mapsizes. Don't know if its possible to support teams of this size.

Still for Solo QP or 2 man drops, a persistant map/server would be greate. Fast drops instead of waiting to find a team and the option to make it a quick match or invest the time to push for the final goal of the map.gives it a good flexability

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users