Question

10 replies to this topic

#1 Toppopia

Rookie

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

So I have a few questions about the Civil War mech packs or packs in general. This will be my first time spending money on the game and I was hesitant to but the Mech Warrior 4 Vengence nostalgia is nagging me so I cant resist.

1) Is the only benefit from buying a standard mech pack now is that I get to play them earlier than everyone else? Not counting the mech bays and items.

2) Does the Hero mech addon for the pack only give a variant that has the +30% xp bonus or does it have the +30% cbill bonus?

3) Is there any reason to get the Reinforcements addon unless I really like the look of those 2 extra mechs or do they usually have good bonuses over the normal variants? This also seems like not worth buying since clan mechs have omni pods or will those variant's omnipods be off limits if I dont own them?

Edited by Toppopia, 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:45 AM

View PostToppopia, on 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

So I have a few questions about the Civil War mech packs or packs in general. This will be my first time spending money on the game and I was hesitant to but the Mech Warrior 4 Vengence nostalgia is nagging me so I cant resist.

1) Is the only benefit from buying a standard mech pack now is that I get to play them earlier than everyone else? Not counting the mech bays and items.

2) Does the Hero mech addon for the pack only give a variant that has the +30% xp bonus or does it have the +30% cbill bonus?

3) Is there any reason to get the Reinforcements addon unless I really like the look of those 2 extra mechs or do they usually have good bonuses over the normal variants? This also seems like not worth buying since clan mechs have omni pods or will those variant's omnipods be off limits if I dont own them?

1) buy the standard pack now and you will get the early adoptor rewards, that is the only advantage between buying now and at release (July), cbill release is between October and Feburary depending on the Mech. there is no diferance between the Mechs you will get with the standard pack and the Mechs you will be able to get for cbills months later.

2) the hero Mech addon has a 30% cbill bonus, a unique hardpoint layout and a unique cammo.

3) there is no reason to get the reenforcement Mechs unless you like the hardpoints. The Cougar is the only Omnimech, and you will not be able to get the reinforcement omnipods until the Cougar comes out for Cbills (November) unless you get the reinforcement preorder, and even then you cannot purchase additional pods before the Mechs are released for cbills. as for the Hero pods, they will never be purchasable seporate from the Mech.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 21 March 2017 - 01:45 AM.

#3 R E S P E K

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 02:58 PM

Also, dont buy the Cougar.

#4 Toppopia

Rookie

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

View PostR E S P E K, on 21 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

Why shouldn't I buy it? I've already bought it so too late to change my mind but still curious.

#5 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:42 PM

View PostToppopia, on 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM, said:

Listen to Rogue Jedi here for the most part. I just have a little bit of info to add really.

The difference between the standard and collector's packs are rather minimal. However, with the Collector's pack you will get one variant with a 30% C-bill boost (for $20). I might also want to mention here that most of the time the anniversary rewards tend to be based on Collector Packs purchased, and not standard levels. So, if you want those extra bonuses, you may want to consider the Collector's pack. (Or you can always just wait for their next year anniversary and actually see what the requirements are.)

Heroes always have a 30% C-bill booster on them. Any Special type mech (denoted with a letter inside parenthesis, such as (S), (I), or ® for examples) will have a 30% C-bill boost on it, with the exceptions of Champion mechs (which have a denotation of (C) after their name), which grant an Experience booster.

Reinforcements add-on will open up those mechs to you sooner than actual game release. Only get them if they interest you. As for Omnipods, to restate what Rouge Jedi stated, you can't purchase the add-on's Omni-pods. They only way to get them sooner would be with the Add-on, but as he also said, you can't purchase additionals of those pods either, at least till the mech is released for C-bills.

View PostToppopia, on 21 March 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Why shouldn't I buy it? I've already bought it so too late to change my mind but still curious.

He's probably saying that because it's a light mech (typically not a recommended class of mech, but can be deadly in the right hands), and will probably act a lot like the Adder that is already in the game. As far as Light mechs go, it's a very slow light mech with a locked engine (as all Omni-mechs have locked engines). 81 KPH is going to leave the Cougar hard pressed to survive, and will likely be relegated to support roles only, such as missile support (if it is possible with the chassis) and/or jump snipping. It may become the first clan mech to need some serious buffing/quirks to do well.

Of course, this depends upon the pilot and how they use the mech. Just like the Adder, the Cougar will probably be best if treated like a really fragile medium mech, rather than as a light mech. Use it as such, and it should work well.

Personally speaking, I'm eyeing the Uziel... Probably going to be the best blend of a Crab and a Huntsmen, both mechs I love in this game. I give it good promise, as I've found out I have a knack for mechs that can jump, especially medium mechs...

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:27 PM

1) Once upon a time, early adopter rewards also included a module or two that were befitting of at least one variant contained in the pack, but as of I think the Linebacker or so they've stopped doing that and give you decals and colours instead, which admittedly would normally cost MC (real money). So instead of dangling a carrot on a stick, they've changed it to a turnip. Some people don't like turnips and prefer carrots but personally I don't mind either, as long as they're cooked properly. Where was I... oh yeah.
2) The hero add-on only adds on the hero variant, 30% c-bill bonus and looks shiny and has a name to it. Don't mistake it as pay to win, because heroes get shredded just as easily as standard variants.
3) Most of the time, the "better"/"best" variant happens to be one of the two reinforcement ones. This is a sales bait in an attempt to make you spend another $15 to get the ones that will give you some kind of edge. I'm too lazy to check what the Cougar reinforcements have that the others don't, but some examples include: already has an XL engine, already has endo/ferro, has ECM, has jump-jets etc (note that these don't all apply to the Cougar, I'm just pulling generic examples out of the blender)

#7 Toppopia

Rookie

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 8 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 12:41 AM

Thanks for the info guys. It was really helpful in deciding what to buy.

#8 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:32 AM

View PostR E S P E K, on 21 March 2017 - 02:58 PM, said:

View PostToppopia, on 21 March 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

the Cougar is a slow light Mech, speed is the same as most of the Clan Heavies, in exchange for this it has more firepower than some heavy Mechs and many mediums, the reason I am definately not getting it is that the Cougar is, in my opinion, way too slow for a Light Mech, however play it like a medium and it should be fine.

if you need a Light Mechs tonage to make a Faction Play Clan dropdeck work, or need lighter Mechs for a large group, but do not want a fast harrasser a slow Light like the Cougar should be fine.

provided you are ok with the idea of an 81kph, realy heavily armed light Mech there is no reason not to get the Cougar

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 22 March 2017 - 02:33 AM.

#9 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 07:38 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 22 March 2017 - 02:32 AM, said:

provided you are ok with the idea of an 81kph, realy heavily armed light Mech there is no reason not to get the Cougar

Seen as I typically play Huntsmen, Crabs, Mad Dogs and Adders (among others of those types), the Cougar probably would be a good fit for me. However, I'm not really tempted to pay real money for it.

But yeah, if you use it right, I'm sure it can be very deadly. But it's probably going to take a special hand at the controls for it to work well.

#10 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 09:51 AM

Please purchase responsibly. Not every mech is competitive. Balance is an ever changing thing in online pvp games. Have fun and I'll see you on the battlefield.

#11 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:09 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 22 March 2017 - 09:51 AM, said:

Please purchase responsibly. Not every mech is competitive. Balance is an ever changing thing in online pvp games. Have fun and I'll see you on the battlefield.

I'd rather say, please preorder, with the understanding you don't know exactly what you will be getting.

Wont tell you how many times I've heard on a mech's release "this mechs sucks, I want my money back". Well... You paid your money and you took your chances. Not every mech is going to be "god tier level" good. (But I also don't believe that there is any mech so bad that it can't be used either.)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users