49 replies to this topic

#1 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts
  • LocationThe Underhive, Pomme De Terre

Posted 23 March 2017 - 06:59 PM

We all knew it was coming, but can someone still point me in the direction of the person who thought a six ton machine gun would be a great idea for the DarkDeath’s primary weapon? Because it’s not like the Assassin is weight-starved enough as it is. Seriously, this thing is a millstone around the neck of the edgelordiest of the edgelords. No, I will not mount a machine gun in it.

Can we maybe get an energy hardpoint in that arm too? So we have the option to switch out for a weapon that isn’t the world’s heaviest automatic stapler, or maybe mount a flamer underneath it so Red Team's entire roster dies laughing. Yes, it’s hardpoint inflation and would give it one more weapon slot than other ASN’s, but seriously – it’s a Hero variant. One weighed down by a nerf gun that fires regret. At least give it the option to swap seven tons of hilarity for something that will boil it like a lobster instead. It’s not like Assassins have any spare weight for extra heat sinks at the best of times.

#2 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:09 PM

View PostRakshasa, on 23 March 2017 - 06:59 PM, said:

We all knew it was coming, but can someone still point me in the direction of the person who thought a six ton machine gun would be a great idea for the DarkDeath’s primary weapon? Because it’s not like the Assassin is weight-starved enough as it is. Seriously, this thing is a millstone around the neck of the edgelordiest of the edgelords. No, I will not mount a machine gun in it.

Can we maybe get an energy hardpoint in that arm too? So we have the option to switch out for a weapon that isn’t the world’s heaviest automatic stapler, or maybe mount a flamer underneath it so Red Team's entire roster dies laughing. Yes, it’s hardpoint inflation and would give it one more weapon slot than other ASN’s, but seriously – it’s a Hero variant. One weighed down by a nerf gun that fires regret. At least give it the option to swap seven tons of hilarity for something that will boil it like a lobster instead. It’s not like Assassins have any spare weight for extra heat sinks at the best of times.

gimme 4 ballisitcs there so I can mg it.

Or H-MG it. But as is? RAC2 is going to be the only remotely decent choice.. and that uses a lot of mass

#3 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:19 PM

I've killed mechs with the single AC/2 on it already. Just have to know how to aim folks... and pick your targets wisely.... something you CAN do with the ecm and this tactic known as "flanking" which the game even awards a bonus 3000 cbills every time you do it. ;)

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:35 PM

If only the AC/2 had its base stats buffs a bit and/or this hero gundam had quarks for it.

#5 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:40 PM

View PostDee Eight, on 23 March 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

I've killed mechs with the single AC/2 on it already. Just have to know how to aim folks... and pick your targets wisely.... something you CAN do with the ecm and this tactic known as "flanking" which the game even awards a bonus 3000 cbills every time you do it. Posted Image

When it requires 15 shots to the cockpit to kill something?

Yes I can vulture a kill here or there, but let's not try to pretend it's a good gun, please?

#6 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:53 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 23 March 2017 - 07:40 PM, said:

When it requires 15 shots to the cockpit to kill something?

Yes I can vulture a kill here or there, but let's not try to pretend it's a good gun, please?

This is MWO - Pretending is all we have left to hold on to...

#7 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 23 March 2017 - 07:58 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 23 March 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

Posted Image

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 08:06 PM

View PostDrxAbstract, on 23 March 2017 - 07:53 PM, said:

there's pretending..then there's delusion. Only one gets you locked up in a nice padded room.

#9 Lykaon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,815 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:28 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 23 March 2017 - 07:19 PM, said:

I've killed mechs with the single AC/2 on it already. Just have to know how to aim folks... and pick your targets wisely.... something you CAN do with the ecm and this tactic known as "flanking" which the game even awards a bonus 3000 cbills every time you do it. Posted Image

In theory I could hammer nails into a soggy board with a stale baguette but why would I?

#10 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:49 AM

It takes 5 AC2 rounds to down a UAV. I knew this, but I did not know how horrible it feels when required to do it with a single gun. On the flip side, using 2 energy and 2 missile hardpoints for a 40-ton build is also depressing. Why does BT not have an IS ballistic option between .5 tons and 6 tons? Why is that gap there? It's so...so big. So very big.

Posted Image

Joking aside, after a night of playing around with build options it's frustrating how awkward the DD is to fit. Stock build folds like wet tissue paper in a stiff breeze, AC2 requires suicidal face time to have any effect even if you flank. Pulses and SRM's? Kind of works, but other ASN's do it better.

I recall dim rumours of hardpoint inflation being discussed for further down the line. Do we know if that's a real thing, or am I just misremembering? If not I'll say it again - DD could really use another hardpoint option alongside that lone ballistic. Too much weight consumed for too little gun.

Edited by Rakshasa, 24 March 2017 - 05:06 AM.

#11 Skipmagnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:22 AM

You can have another hard point at the same time the COM-2D gets one. Deal?

#12 Pyed

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:58 AM

This is why light autocannons in the tech update would have been nice to have.

Give 'em shorter range and lower velocity for balance. Maybe Clan-like burst too. It'd work.

#13 nitra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:30 AM

I haven't really investigated the assassin my intial impression of them was meh, but watching them in spectate is it really as poorly laid out as it seems?

was watching one where all 3 energy points were in the arm . Really ?? could pgi not stick at least one in the other arm ??
(im hoping this was a poor choice on the pilots decision for load out)

#14 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:31 AM

Guys put a AC5, UAC5 or even a AC10 on your Dark Death. Or a PPC and 2 ASRM6s.

Seriously. Posted Image

ASN-Dunkin' Donuts

#15 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:35 AM

View PostJackalBeast, on 24 March 2017 - 06:31 AM, said:

Why would you strip any leg armor on a mech who's chunkiest section is pretty much its legs.......not to mention somewhere you mount most of your ammo.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 24 March 2017 - 06:35 AM.

#16 Zergling

• The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 2,439 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

Yeah, a single AC2 is basically useless. Hopefully a single RAC2 won't be as bad.

#17 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,768 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:44 AM

View PostZergling, on 24 March 2017 - 06:36 AM, said:

Yeah, a single AC2 is basically useless. Hopefully a single RAC2 won't be as bad.

You would probably be better off trying to mount a UAC10 given it allows for hit and run better.

#18 Rakshasa

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 560 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:50 AM

View PostPyed, on 24 March 2017 - 05:58 AM, said:

This is why light autocannons in the tech update would have been nice to have.

Give 'em shorter range and lower velocity for balance. Maybe Clan-like burst too. It'd work.

According to the timeline (yeah, lore again) LAC's don't enter production by the Federated Suns until 3068. Civil War timeline is going to go up to 3067. I see what PGI may have done there Posted Image

Edited by Rakshasa, 24 March 2017 - 08:03 AM.

#19 Graugger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 765 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:11 AM

There's additionally the Magshot (Machinegun Gauss) as well as Mech Rifles -.- Use modern ammo and remove their damage penalty for being obselete and they'd be an interesting low velocity alternative.

Magshot - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Magshot

Light Rifle - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Light_Rifle
Medium Rifle - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Medium_Rifle
Heavy Rifle - http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Heavy_Rifle

Silver Bullet - http://www.sarna.net...let_Gauss_Rifle (In timeline too, prototype stage but cancelled)

Thumper Cannon - http://www.sarna.net.../Thumper_Cannon

There's also caseless ACs

Example:
Caseless AC2 - http://www.sarna.net...i/Caseless_AC/2

There's additonally Hypervelocity ACs

AC2 - http://www.sarna.net...ty_Autocannon/2
AC5 - http://www.sarna.net...ty_Autocannon/5
AC10 - http://www.sarna.net...y_Autocannon/10

---

6 HVAC2s and a LFE on an Endo Mauler any day to wreck those pesky snipers.

Edited by Graugger, 24 March 2017 - 07:25 AM.

#20 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

Why not just upgrade to an Ultra 5. Since when has any mech that's stock been competitive outside of a stock match.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users