Assassin Or Bushwhacker More Fun?

12 replies to this topic

#1 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 11:57 PM

So I haven't had he cash for new mech packs recently. Now that I have some, and being that I love mediums, I've decided to get either the Bush or Assassin.

Now that the assassin has been out for a few days can anybody comment on which of the two mechs they find the most fun?

Thanks in advance to anybody who can answer this question.

#2 Lupis Volk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 2,126 posts
  • LocationIn the cockpit of the nearest Light Battlemech.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

The Assassin is a heavy light.

The Bushie is a 55 tonner brawler.

If you like going fast, using missiles and a small amount of lasers i'd suggest Assassin. If you want slightly more missiles, four to three ballistic weapons and one to two energy weapons then go Bushie. Also Bushie has a better warhorn.

#3 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:00 AM

Not owning either but from the "who's the tougher target" point of view I would say....to my headscratching surprise...the Assassin.Posted Image
This guys are quite smal and their lanky arms and leggs make them hard to hit.
A focussed blast from large ACs, LBX or SRM will most likely instakill them though, got some rosted ASNs with my SRM Cyclops last night.
So when you are searching for a mobile jumpcapable SRM and laser mech....go for it.

#4 Anunknownlurker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 362 posts
  • LocationBetween here and there

Posted 24 March 2017 - 05:33 AM

If you already have Cicadas get the Bushwacker
If you already have Shadowhawks get the Assassin
If you already have both...save your money for something else

#5 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:36 AM

I haven't tried the Assassin but if you mean specifically te $20 packs, I'd suggest the Bushwacker because they all come with 275XL engines. You might not want to use them in the Bushwacker (especially if you're brawling), but a 275XL is 4.5 million credits and they'll fit in a lot of other mechs.

In general I've been having a lot of fun with my Bushwackers. For me the BSW-P1 and BSW-X2 have been my two best mechs (currently each averaging over 400 damage per match) and the BSW-S2 is my weakest (though I think I've recently found a nice 2xLRM15 build for it that softens up mechs in the first half of the match then after using up the LRM ammo goes in with medium lasers and SRMs). For the BSW-P1 I've normally been running a standard engine SRM brawling builds, and my BSW-X2 is rockin' dual AC10s.

#6 grendeldog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 340 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Thanks for the input everybody! I'm leaning towards the Bushwhacker because I do have the Cicada already and if I want to brawl with SRMs at high speed I have enough C-bills and MC to get an Oxide plus two other Jenners.

I know the Bush is more powerful in most situations in the current high TTK situation. Mostly I just have so many mechs and want something new, different, and fun.

Am I correct that the consensus seems to be that the Bushwhacker is more "interesting, different, and fun"?

Does the fact that I'm not able to spring for reinforcements change the equation at all?

#7 Bear Tech

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 21 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 12:48 AM

I have both, and I prefer the Assassin. It's a fun little mech and is surprisingly tanky. Plus you can chase down most lights! It's excellent as a heavy scout/light hunter/harasser.
The bushy is just a brawler, not much else it's really great at. I've seen others make a support mech of it, but I have not.
2 cents.

#8 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:52 AM

The reinforcement mechs are nice, but the X1 and X2 are solid mechs. I don't hate the S2 and I think if I didn't have the P1 it'd make for a good SRM/MPL brawling build, but because the P1 is my go-to SRM brawler it's left the S2 out in the cold. I recently added Artemis to it and it's started to work well with a pair of LRM15s, so I'm satisfied with it being my LRM support mech.

View PostBear Tech, on 25 March 2017 - 12:48 AM, said:

I have both, and I prefer the Assassin. It's a fun little mech and is surprisingly tanky. Plus you can chase down most lights! It's excellent as a heavy scout/light hunter/harasser.
The bushy is just a brawler, not much else it's really great at. I've seen others make a support mech of it, but I have not.
2 cents.

While I agree that thanks to the armour quirks its forte is brawling, there are some good long range setups available too.

The quad AC2 and triple AC5 builds can put some good damage downrange (especially if you build it on the BSW-X1 to use its 10% ballistic range quirk), and if you like gambling the dual UAC5 build can do well (or jam both weapons causing you to curse and run away to wait for the jam to clear). I've been finding that dual LRM15s (or 10s) suit the mech well too; they deliver a solid volley of missiles and leave enough hardpoints for a decent complement of close range support weaponry, plus since you're only a medium mech you're not ostracized for bringing LRMs to the match.

I'm also eagerly awaiting the civil war weaponry. Dual Light Gauss should be doable, and MRMs and rockets should transform Bushwacker brawling builds.

#9 darqsyde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 348 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationFar Beyond The Black Horizon

Posted 27 March 2017 - 06:35 PM

Assassin for fun, Bushwacker for business.

#10 Ruar

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,378 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 04:54 AM

The Assassin hands down. It's just a blast running all over the place putting SRMs into rear armor.

The Bushwacker is just another lumbering support mech. Poor hardpoint locations, poor weapon choice, and lack of jump jets make it play more like a very weak heavy mech instead of medium.

I've barely touched the Bushwacker since it came out but I haven't quit playing the Assassin.

#11 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 03:26 AM

I suppose its a good sign that people have totally opposite preferences and recommendations.

From the perspective of having both ultimate packs and loving mediums the bushwacker gets the job of killing mechs done whereas the assassin seems to tank more easily from the front (but far worse from the back) and be more maneuverable via its jump jets but be far less effective at killing opponents unless you can get the first volley in.

The high engine cap is great on the Assassin but it seems to struggle if you use it and I'm talking not handling just 2 PPC's well. It does well with 3 LL in fairness as its less of a heat spike. I'm praying that doubling the bonuses is enough to make it more usable when i've elited them but I just don't find a mech where you have to hold off firing a lot to be fun. Even the classic 4 SRM4 with 4.5 tons ammo version that a lot of us are running is terribly flawed with needing more ammo. Get a good game and you'll run out before the end finding yourself helpless. To counter that its jump jets really help and from the front its great at sliding off damage.

Overall I'd say the bushwacker is a far more effective mech currently but who knows with new tech and skill tree incoming.

#12 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 338 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 30 March 2017 - 08:27 AM

View Postgrendeldog, on 24 March 2017 - 10:35 PM, said:

Thanks for the input everybody! I'm leaning towards the Bushwhacker because I do have the Cicada already and if I want to brawl with SRMs at high speed I have enough C-bills and MC to get an Oxide plus two other Jenners.

I know the Bush is more powerful in most situations in the current high TTK situation. Mostly I just have so many mechs and want something new, different, and fun.

Am I correct that the consensus seems to be that the Bushwhacker is more "interesting, different, and fun"?

Does the fact that I'm not able to spring for reinforcements change the equation at all?

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...341868d806af2fd

4SRM6+Artemis. I have been having a ball playing this. Throw in Seismic, Radar Dep and SRM6 Modules then rain hell on the enemy.

#13 Amatsukaze

• PipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 98 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 30 March 2017 - 12:37 PM

I have both & has been said the BW is def better if all you are worried about is KD or damage done. However if you like the scouting/harassment roll the ASN is just plain fun! When the update hit & I was looking at it in the mech bay I was like "this thing is going to be crap!" but I played it cause I paid for it & I grew on me quickly. Its crazy tanky & flies well. DPS is nothing to get excited about though my build of 2x SRM4's & 2xSPLs with the big engine does do pretty good.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users