How About Unlocking Is Actuators So We Can Use The New Tech?

46 replies to this topic

#41 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 05:05 PM

View PostSnazzy Dragon, on 25 March 2017 - 02:32 PM, said:

It saddens me just how many people are against it.

"But muh lore" is the reason the game is so imbalanced.

Especially when you see that the actual lore allows Crit splitting (a far better system imo, which the same guys are also against), the only way lore mechs (helepolis) mount snipers/thumpers Posted Image.

Edited by Valhallan, 25 March 2017 - 05:09 PM.

#42 Erronius

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 07:54 PM

View PostCMDR Sunset Shimmer, on 24 March 2017 - 05:49 AM, said:

Hand actuators in lore, have reason for being there as they are used to grab things and the like.

True. You can't make sarcastic masturbatory hand gestures at the enemy if your mech doesn't have hands.

Edited by Erronius, 25 March 2017 - 07:55 PM.

#43 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 25 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

View PostDogstar, on 25 March 2017 - 02:23 PM, said:

@Athom83 You're still presenting the same weak argument: 'there's no variants like that so there shouldn't be any variants like that' - it' a circular argument and a logical fallacy
You present a circular argument without disproving anything that I say. Which is also a logical fallacy. https://en.wikipedia...nt_from_fallacy

My point is to actually improve things and give us more choice, f*ck the lore, let us put some big guns on our mechs - it's not difficult to implement because they already have the code in place for omnimechs so just cut and paste it over to IS and can battlemechs - an hours work for a competent programmer and a massive benefit for the players.

When IS get OmniMechs (which we will be in the next Mechpack after the current one of Uziel, Annihilator, Cougar, and MC MkII, or PGI will burn), they will be able to do this. The whole "**** the lore" thing would bite them in the *** when their playerbase of lore warriors pull their money (which is quite a bit). And you also seem to be assuming they won't release any more variants for mechs already in the game. There are quite a few variants designed for just about every mech during the civil war era. Some of those can mount larger weapons in the arms (UAC/20s, LB-20s). Like the Centurion D3D, D4D, and D5, or the Dragon 7n, or the Cataphract 4L, et cetera.

and for the lore hounds let me ask you this - did you only play the TT game with predesigned mechs or did you build your own? There' nothing I the TT rules that enforces actuators - you can simple cross them off the mech sheet and fit what you like.

What 2 mechwarrior games have the exact same mech customization (besides DLCs/Add-ons)?

There's no downside to this.

But there isn't a meaningful upside either. And being able to do this makes a multitude of variants in the game invalid. Their only upsides was that they could mount a larger/more weapon in its arm, otherwise they have fewer/worse hardpoints.

View PostErronius, on 25 March 2017 - 07:54 PM, said:

True. You can't make sarcastic masturbatory hand gestures at the enemy if your mech doesn't have hands.

They could also make it so in the new mode you have to have hand actuators to pick up the core.

View PostValhallan, on 25 March 2017 - 05:05 PM, said:

Especially when you see that the actual lore allows Crit splitting (a far better system imo, which the same guys are also against), the only way lore mechs (helepolis) mount snipers/thumpers Posted Image.

I'm not against crit-splitting, I'm just on the fence on how it should be implemented. Whether it can only be done for certain weapons/components, or certain weapons are just naturally split (like an XL engine), et cetera.

#44 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:48 PM

View PostAthom83, on 25 March 2017 - 02:08 PM, said:

Actuators are weakpoints in designs. While they allow freedom of movement, they can't support weight like a solid support can.

Its too late to try and rationalise it with engineering limitations because there is already many precedents for actuators and heavy weapons. Omni's just cant use them, which is just some nonsense arbitrarily carried over from TT rules.

#45 Valhallan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 484 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 09:50 PM

View PostAthom83, on 25 March 2017 - 08:08 PM, said:

I'm not against crit-splitting, I'm just on the fence on how it should be implemented. Whether it can only be done for certain weapons/components, or certain weapons are just naturally split (like an XL engine), et cetera.

Whats wrong with implementing it as is? The rule was fairly clear cut, only things with 8+ crits can be split to a nearby area (so you won't see things like a ppc split just because the arm got so much hardpoints on it), and if its a weapon it will use the worse firing arc between the areas (so an arm+torso split will be using the slower torso arc)

#46 Dogstar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:39 AM

@Athom I'm not even reading what you say anymore as you're obviously biased, so whatever dude...

#47 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 03:06 PM

Athom:

I don't seem to recall any Catapult variants in lore with dual gauss rifles. Splatcats? What about BoomJagers or BoomJacks? Why is it that some non-lore builds are available and yet others are artificially restricted? I don't think the "it wasn't designed that way" argument flies when so many popular builds look nothing like stock. Look at the most popular meta builds today. Why are those permitted when a Dragon can't carry an AC20? A 40 or 45 ton medium (Cicada, Blackjack) can carry an AC20 but a 60 ton heavy can't?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users