Mad Cat Mk. Il Vs Blood Asp

29 replies to this topic

#1 Hit the Deck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:43 AM

I just want to write something about the 2Gauss+2ERPPC which can be done on them.

Having recently bought the KDK-3 and having the Night Gyr since its release, I think they could represent the above mentioned 'Mechs with the KDK-3 as the Blood Asp and the Night Gyr as the Mad Cat Mk. II.

Those arm mounted GRs on the Night Gyr are fine most of the time but when I'm tightly packed with friendlies, sometime I hesitate to shoot the GRs fearing that I'll shoot one of my teammate. On the other hand, the ST mounted GRs which sit a bit above the Kodiak's head are really nice when I'm presented with the same situation because I can shoot over my teammates - the more tightly grouped GRs are also nice but not crucial.

Regarding the ERPPCs, it was a surprise that I actually like the enhanced dexterity the lower arm actuator on the Kodiak provides. I was afraid that KDK's arm mounted ERPPCs would be too low but thankfully it was often not the case.

I think the Blood Asp could have a slight edge over the Mad Cat Mk. II just on hardpoint layout. Mad Cat Mk. II does have slightly higher arm position compared to the Night Gyr, we'll see how it turns out when it drops.

As for the Blood Asp, I'm not sure if PGI would want to give us another 90 ton Clan 'Mech.

#2 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

Regardless of some of the more questionable decisions made with this game, one thing PGI knows for sure it's that you don't miss out on a for sure money-maker that the Blood Asp mech pack sure to be, even if it is in the same weight category as the also popular MKII.

My money is that the Blood Asp will be teased on the eve following a particular bad dumpster fire where it seems like half the player base is fed up and tired of being bs-ed with their foot out the door , not like that has happened anytime recently.... cough cough belch.

#3 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:10 AM

MCII has cockpit level arms, Blood Asp ones are pretty low based on existing artwork.. i dunno. Low PPCs vs wide Gauss that dont converge well.

I think the Asp will do that build slightly better though in PUGland, purely due to ECM.

#4 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:04 AM

You guys act like PGI just randomly chooses the mechs days before preorder. FYI. They usually have them planned 4 to 5 months out ahead of preorder.

Imo, I would expect the Blood Asp after July. Possibly with the Fafnir as well. Why? Cause it would cause people to probably cancel thier Mk II orders and grab the Blood Asp. Same for the Annihilator, Fafnir would cause alot of people to refund thier Annihilator packs for it instead.

#5 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,770 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:08 AM

I don't understand the point in this conversation when the only thing that could potentially usurp the KDK-3 is the Stone Rhino 2 and that is because it should have the ability to run a Gauss and ERPPC in both side torsos.

#6 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:14 AM

View PostQuicksilver Kalasa, on 24 March 2017 - 10:08 AM, said:

I don't understand the point in this conversation when the only thing that could potentially usurp the KDK-3 is the Stone Rhino 2 and that is because it should have the ability to run a Gauss and ERPPC in both side torsos.

Well, for one thing 90 tonners are slightly easier to fit into groups and FW decks than 100 tonners are.

I do want me some Stone Rhino though, because MW2 GBL. Probably the only mech that would be insta buy regardless of stats.

#7 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,770 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 March 2017 - 10:15 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 24 March 2017 - 10:14 AM, said:

Well, for one thing 90 tonners are slightly easier to fit into groups and FW decks than 100 tonners are.

People actually still play that mess?

Not that I don't want tonnage to matter, but honestly neither the MKII or Blood Asp are perfect. The best option would be an 85 ton version of the Stone Rhino 2 which I don't believe exists last I checked.

Example - Shift over the Gauss/ERPPC to the side torsos, and replace the AMS ammo with JJs, and you have the perfect ERPPC/Gauss assault for the tonnage.

Edited by Quicksilver Kalasa, 24 March 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#8 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 March 2017 - 11:38 AM

Willing to bet the next pack doesn't have assaults in it, as the Civil War had 2. Based on my Poll, Fafnir and Blood Asp should be the next two assaults though.

#9 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 March 2017 - 11:38 AM, said:

Willing to bet the next pack doesn't have assaults in it, as the Civil War had 2. Based on my Poll, Fafnir and Blood Asp should be the next two assaults though.

I would bet we don't see either of those two till August at the earliest (see comment above)

#10 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:13 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 March 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

I would bet we don't see either of those two till August at the earliest (see comment above)

If we are on a 4-mech pack every 4 month cycle, the Fafnir/Blood Asp probably won't come until not the next pack but the one after, at the earliest.... which will probably announced ~November time frame I am guessing.

#11 NRP

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 3,949 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

I just want the Dragon Fire dong mech.

#12 CK16

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 3,031 posts
  • LocationAlshain V

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:30 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 March 2017 - 12:13 PM, said:

If we are on a 4-mech pack every 4 month cycle, the Fafnir/Blood Asp probably won't come until not the next pack but the one after, at the earliest.... which will probably announced ~November time frame I am guessing.

We do not know yet if they are staying with 4 packs. Thus last one felt like a special occasion. The next ones might be singles as well for all we know.

#13 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 24 March 2017 - 12:49 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 March 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

We do not know yet if they are staying with 4 packs. Thus last one felt like a special occasion. The next ones might be singles as well for all we know.

I like the 4 mech pack sale they have, more options than the single mech pack. And hope they keep it.

#14 Cy Mitchell

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2,688 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:05 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 March 2017 - 12:10 PM, said:

I believe the Mechs that are released in August will be the Clan Heroes that are due to be announced in April.

#15 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,680 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 24 March 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostCK16, on 24 March 2017 - 12:30 PM, said:

I sure hope the hell they don't go back to single mech packs. It's a freaking drag waiting for what mystery mech they have planned up their sleeve, knowing if it's an IS or Clan (which I have no interest in any future IS mechs besides the Fafnir and Hollander), then to have it wasted on a single chassis just to wait another month again. The newer model will help release what remaining mechs that should have been in the game until 2018 rolls around.

#16 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 24 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 24 March 2017 - 09:10 AM, said:

MCII has cockpit level arms, Blood Asp ones are pretty low based on existing artwork.. i dunno. Low PPCs vs wide Gauss that dont converge well.

The (low) arm mounted ERPPCs on the Asp is definitely a concern.

I took a closer look at my recently bought KDK-3 and realized that the ERPPCs are actually not that low compared to the cockpit:

Posted Image

Green line: cockpit

#17 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:33 AM

Size / hitboxes will determine everything. Blood Asp is wide as a barn and then some, and MadKatz-Mk.II has the same missile racks = side torso damage magnet issue as the Timber only twice worse. Unless PGI decides to drastically change their looks and/or fubars the size of em I'd say Marauder-IIC trumps em both in terms of Gauss/PPC trade wars.

#18 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:46 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 27 March 2017 - 03:33 AM, said:

Size / hitboxes will determine everything. Blood Asp is wide as a barn and then some, and MadKatz-Mk.II has the same missile racks = side torso damage magnet issue as the Timber only twice worse. Unless PGI decides to drastically change their looks and/or fubars the size of em I'd say Marauder-IIC trumps em both in terms of Gauss/PPC trade wars.

Since every other mech with shoulder mounted missile boxes / Weapon pods like that loses them when the missiles / weapons are not equipped, i seriously doubt the missile boxes will be a problem for the MCII - because they wont exist on any serious build.

Edited by Widowmaker1981, 27 March 2017 - 03:48 AM.

#19 Hit the Deck

• 4,677 posts
  • LocationIndonesia

Posted 27 March 2017 - 03:50 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 27 March 2017 - 03:33 AM, said:

MC Mk. II's ST "ears" would likely be non-factor.

If we are talking about Asp's potential hitboxes, the art suggests that it has really distinct ST and exposed CT from the side.

As for MAD-IIC, I don't know if it wins the trade wars against MCII or Blood Asp. MAD-IIC certainly has less advantageous Gauss+ERPPC mounts.

#20 Snowbluff

• Bad Company
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 27 March 2017 - 05:29 AM

View PostHit the Deck, on 27 March 2017 - 03:50 AM, said:

As for MAD-IIC, I don't know if it wins the trade wars against MCII or Blood Asp. MAD-IIC certainly has less advantageous Gauss+ERPPC mounts.

Blood Asp has "better" gauss mountings, except not really for the same reasons the TBR-A doesn't really have better PPC mounts. Having them high is good, having them so high above the cockpit isn't too helpful when poking over the ridge, as you're exposed to fire. The Blood Asp's PPC mounts seem to be arm only, which will make them just worse.

The MCII will have more neutral Gauss and PPC mounts, great for the earless variants (which doesn't have the best cockpit placement, but still good).

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users