Fetch Quests, Killing 'mechs, Hitting The Base

1 reply to this topic

#1 Agathos11

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 6 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 March 2017 - 09:28 PM

We have a few things going on in this game mode: fast 'Mechs are running back and forth to power those towers, everybody else is probably wandering around playing Skirmish, and occasionally someone is raiding the enemy base before the enemy 'Mechs are dead.

My first impression is that I like the idea of fetch quests for the lights and almost-lights. There were a couple of times when my Locust was chased home by an enemy, and that was fun. But I see a few problems.

First, it can be boring when it's going smoothly. It's not like you're getting ambushed every time, and there are few chances to shoot anybody. Second, it's not as rewarding (in terms of C-Bills) as backstabbing, doing damage, and killing 'Mechs. In the long run I'm not sure I want to sacrifice C-Bills to play this the "right" way.

Third, the radar tower is the only tower that affects the whole map, so it seems to be the only one I want to charge. Fire up that radar, find the other team, deathball up, and smash them. The other two towers are only useful if you're expecting the fight to be around your base.

Which leads us to another problem: why should the fight be around either base? If enemy 'Mechs are on their feet outside their base, we don't have a lot of reasons to go knock down their walls and deal with all the turrets, jamming, and dropships. Why not kill the 'Mechs first? I never saw a team win by doing damage to the enemy base before dealing with the enemy 'Mechs. So we may just end up playing Skirmish, but with the possibility of radar sweeps to raise the stakes.

Personally, I see some potential in "skirmish plus fetch quests and radar sweeps." It could shake things up and give fast 'Mechs a new job (please pay them for it!). But if we want to see a big showdown at either base, I think we're still missing the tactical incentives that would pull us into it.

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 25 March 2017 - 04:58 AM

I agree about the towers.
Radar seams to be a must have, Jammer is nice when defending from LRM rain but he dropship...dosn't work for me.
Maybe the towers should be like "Attack, Defence, Utility"

Attack:
Airport should call in a Dropship that makes a fast sweap over the battlefield, targeting random mechs as it flys over.
Else I would turn it into an Artillerie unit. If powered up they would give the team artilerie strikes that could be called in via the command wheel. (Small strikes with a long cooldown, nothing like the Longtom strike from FW ^_^ )

Defence:
Radar would become a Spotting tower. Give it the turets AI and a TAG. Let it target enemy mechs and give it some LRM Towers, maybe 2x10 or 3x5.

Utility
Jammer, but instead of just blocking the enemy it would screw with everyones targeting...kinda lika a ECM blast from a nuke.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users