Banshee Bnc-3M Help

30 replies to this topic

#1 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 03:02 AM

I've been trying to make the BNC-3M work for quite some time now with very limited success. Unlike the other two C-bill variants (don't have the LM), it just doesn't seem possible have any viable build with this one. I should probably mention that I'm usually comfortable with any play style, be it brawling or sniping or something in-between. This is what I've run so far, the only constant being I'm aiming for speeds of at least 60 kph after tweak - any input/advice on these or would be highly appreciated:

BNC-3M 8x Medium Laser - figured if this could work with the BJ-1X, it just might with the Banshee. Turns out it doesn't, even with the much better cooling - it's just too slow and draws too much attention. Also the XL engine is a liability, despite the nice amounts of damage soaked by the arms.
Off topic rant: WTF, PGI - how come 45 heat sinks can't keep 8 freakin' medium lasers (fired in groups of 4!) even remotely cool? It should be exactly the opposite - the mech should be unable to move due to frozen joints with that much cooling.

BNC-3M 2x ER Large Laser, 6x Medium Laser - this is the build I've done best with so far, even though it is rather underwhelming in general.

BNC-3M 4x PPC, 4x Medium Laser - this one was intended to mostly snipe with the high-mounted pair of PPCs and chain firing both pairs when having a clear LoS. Doesn't work particularly well, even with careful heat management.

Haven't tried LPL/ERPPC builds because these appear to be even less viable than the ones above.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

2xPPC+6xML can be done by not using Endo Steel, and lowering the engine rating to STD350. It is too hot to shoot constantly, but you can fire just the PPCs or just the MLs almost without pause.

Lots of energy weapons is pretty limiting. Ghost heat will trigger if you fire more than 2 PPCs or 2 of any LLs, or more than 6 MLs at the same time. ERPPCs are too hot to take more than 1 on any reasonable build. Therefore if you want more medium- to long-range firepower, mix LLs with PPCs. (Note that there is not really enough room to cool a 2xPPC+2xLL+anything else build on a Banshee with any decent engine. Those long-range energy setups fit better on Stalkers.)

If you can reliably keep your back safe, use much more front armor (note how little my suggested build has on the back). There is around a ton in arm armor that can be stripped. Take AMS -- you are a slow, big target with any engine, you will eat missiles.

If you feel like trolling, take 2xERPPC+LPL+5xML. Again, use either long-, or short-range weapons. This will explode in a hurry, but it will also run down any heavy mech and even many mediums. It only has 2 alphastrikes before overheating/using less weapons, but 2x55 damage can blow any leg or side torso. ERPPCs for those precious moments when unlucky souls meet you on Alpine Peaks.

Edited by Modo44, 04 April 2014 - 11:09 AM.

#3 Fang01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fury
  • Fury
  • 993 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:44 AM

Run this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...bf37b8441e0a135

If your aim is even remotely decent its absolutely brutal. If you dont want to spring for dhs swap one lpl for an mpl and stuff every hole with a shs.

#4 Mohawk Howell

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 68 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:47 AM

Or run this. Chain the PPCs and use the laser in the high spots as your primary weapons, it's effective if not a world beater.

#5 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:51 AM

i run mine with five large pulse lasers.
it is good up close but tends to overheat and cannot do anything out of range.

i also run 2erll + 3 large pulse, but it's meh.

i hear 2ppc + 2erll + 2largepulse is good, it has no ghost heat and it seems it hurts enemies a lot.

be careful with this shutdown machine though

#6 Solis Obscuri

Don't Care How I Want It Now!

• The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 4,751 posts
  • LocationPomme de Terre

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Don't go the Medium Pulse laser route. You will run ridiculously hot and it's not worth it. I'd advocate 2 PPCs and 6 Medium Lasers, but you don't need to downgrade your engine - in fact, it helps ot keep it, since you can hold 5DHS in there:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...c09df5217cb48f6

#7 Ngamok

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 5,033 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLafayette, IN

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:21 AM

I ran mine with SOLD !!

I only liked the 3S and 3E. I did 8/8 Basic and sold it, didn't even bother to upgrade it. :D

#8 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

First, thank you guys for the input!

Sadly, selling the BNC-3M is not an option for me - kinda like collecting mechs, even useless ones. Was very tempted a few times though - this is my first mech that I simply don't know what to do with - even Locust 3S and Spider 5V seemed less tedious to level.

Looking at the ideas above, it kind of strikes me I never tried a 2x (ER)PPC, 6x ML build. That's what I'll run my next few games. Also the ones build around XL engines seem interesting, might as well give them a try, particularly Khajja's 4 LPL build (although modified a bit with little less armor, endo and 400 rated engine).

As for MPLs, while I like these very much as a concept, they are indeed worthless due to extreme heat and weight - I do occasionally take one or two of those as backup weapons, but that's about it.

@Modo44: armor is always front-loaded and arms are also stripped of a ton or so when necessary, just don't have the patience to do it on Smurfy. Not a huge fan of AMS though - it's only worth it when facing a single LRM boat and unable to get into cover IMO - if you get focused by a few of those, it doesn't make a difference so I only take it when I got the spare tonnage. :)

#9 Fuggles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 518 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:17 PM

this mech is just.... well... it really freakin needs something. one or 2 missle ports or a single ballistic would go a long way to making this mech usable.

it just speaks for the game as a whole when you try to build loadouts with this mech. it really shouldnt be that hard but with ghost heat, heatscale, i mean everything is working against it.

i tried every build for the most part listed here in addition to alot of others and to be honest, the best is 4 LPL. that in itself says something because its a build so bland, i mean it can be run on so many mechs, whats the point of this mech?

other builds ive tried that worked well were 4LL, 4mlas (3 weapon groups) 2 LPL 6mplas (3 weapon groups) 2erppc 2ppc (4 weapon groups), 3 erppc + tag.

things that didnt work, 2ppc, 6mlas too hot, no punch. my pulse rainbow build 2LPL 3mplas 3splas (it was bad)

Edited by Fuggles, 04 April 2014 - 07:59 PM.

#10 ackstorm

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 164 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:31 PM

I started out with 2 PPCs (chainfired) and 6 ML.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2aecd87d2f2430e

Eventually I swapped out the 6ML for 4 MPL which worked better for tracking light mechs, and less overall heat spike. I break the MPLs into groups of two chainfired, one pair on each side of torso, with a 3rd button to alpha all 4 of them together.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...de83c3902740a69

The 360STD engine provided enough slots for more DHS, and some extra speed.

In this build your PPCs are for medium to long range (90m - 540M), and the ML/MPL are for med to short range (0 - 200m).

Be careful managing heat in the 90M - 200M overlap, you really don't need to fire all of those weapons at the same time.

There is a good reason why I put PPCs in there. PPCs on this mech stay a the bottom of the mech, so that those ML or MPL are all at shoulder-height. That means you can pop over a hill and hit them with those ML/MPLs.

If you use anything other than a PPC in those mount points it will screw it up and you wont be able to take full advantage of the laser placement.

note: This is a hard mech to appreciate because of the lack of arms hardpoints. On maps like Terra Therma you will find yourself unable to hit anything because o the steep inclines.

I've done over 700 damage in this build before. Its not my favorite banshee but it is certainly respectable at dishing it out. The downside is the lack of arm hardpoints and the all-energy hardpoints, but for those who are experienced at managing heat levels this mech can be a real monster.

Edited by ackstorm, 04 April 2014 - 04:36 PM.

#11 Equalizer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:10 AM

After a bunch more games testing different builds, the 2x ERPPC, 2x LPL and the 4x LPL ones with 340 STD engine seem to produce the best results - had a few 4-5 kills games with both of these and 400-ish average damage. XL engines do kinda work, but I find the extra durability preferable to a little more speed and cooling capacity.

#12 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:50 AM

Really the issue is that energy weapons tend to spread their damage out (with the except of PPCs, of course). Yes, you can have sniper aim and keep the whole duration on one part of the body, but in reality with the movement of the target, your movement, hills and such, you are unlikely to always score 100% of the damage on the intended body part. Whereas with ballistics it's all or nothing. Either you slam 20 damage into that torso, or you don't.

#13 Soulscour

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,117 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 09:10 AM

I already posted on the mech loadouts forum about this but will repeat it. I use 4LL and 3 Med lasers. Its a very easy and balanced build. I think PPC and ER LL and Large Pulse lasers are a little too hot on a already energy heavy mech. Heres the build. BNC-3M

#14 Exalgo

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:22 AM

3ppcs, 3ml, standard 350, 20dhs. keep ppcs in a groups of 2 and 1 and chain fire the 2 on hot maps.

#15 Snegtag

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • LocationRochester NY

Posted 23 April 2014 - 05:36 AM

So on mine I went endo, dropped the engine to a 320 then tossed on 2 ER-Large lasers, keeping the 2 PPCs, I switched out the s-laser for a medium and filled the remaining energy slots with medium lasers. I use the PPC in chain fire the ER-lasers together then the mediums if I get close. I haven't switched to double heatsinks yet so I filled up the rest of the tonage with singles. It runs hot you have to pace your firing but it'll deal some damage. Close in and hot I switch to chain on the mediums and finish the target off. Its workable but is an energy boat so you have to play it that way. I also have the E & S and enjoy them.

The lack of arm slots took me a bit to adjust to seeing I sometime can't get the angle I need up or down hiills, but you adapt. I'd suggest playing with the loadout till you find one that matches your play style.

Good luck

Edited by Snegtag, 23 April 2014 - 05:37 AM.

#16 DrRed

Rookie

• 7 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 06:42 AM

As I posted in the other Banshee thread:

325xl
528 armor
2 Large Laser
6 Medium Laser
44 Standard Heat Sinks (sic!, they are equivalent to 27 DHS)

is very viable, doesnt require any upgrades and offers increadible heat efficiency. Feel free to upgrad the L-Laser to ER or replace 2 SDS by AMS and ammo.

Edited by DrRed, 23 April 2014 - 06:44 AM.

#17 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 11:19 PM

I run two Large Pulse lasers in the left torso, two Large Lasers in the right torso, and four medium lasers wherever they will fit. Works great for me.

#18 kesuga7

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • LocationSegmentum solar - Sector solar - Subsector sol - Hive world - "Holy terra"

Posted 26 April 2014 - 01:59 AM

XL 400- 7 medium pulse lasers - MAX armour - 24 doubles :)
BAP - AMS - 3000 ams rounds

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b0a6a0a7eac9ea7

defintely wanna try when i buy hehheheh

or the 51 single heatsink - 7 medium laser - 52.5 kph with standard engine - 496 armour banshee 3m :(

Put two groups of all weapons on cycle fire - shoot at same time - lasershow foreverrr
shoot the 6 medium lasers for 11 minutes and 7 medium lasers for a full minute
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...21b00454f9cd808

or the 3 flamer - 51.6 kph - 55 singleheatsink - 512 armour banshee 3m - because those flamers are hot!
:blink:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...b294d4f9ea3d029

Edited by kesuga7, 26 April 2014 - 02:13 AM.

#19 Zeede

• PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:37 PM

Having less firepower than what comes standard on a Hunchback 4P is an indicator that you're doing it wrong.

Edited by Zeede, 27 April 2014 - 01:37 PM.

#20 Jettrik Ryflix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Star
  • The Star
  • 183 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh?

Posted 30 April 2014 - 02:13 PM

I ran 8 Medium Lasers with the Standard 380 engine. It was very effective... lots of armor and fairly mobile. It cooled pretty well when I shot them in groups of 4.
I actually got a 7 kill match with that loadout, so don't rule it out. :D

Currently I'm running 2 PPCs and 2 LPLs. That's a little over 40 damage alpha strike, with no ghost heat. Seems to hold up okay, but I haven't run it too much yet.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users