#1 Pr8Dator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:20 AM

5 years of playing this game, still in T3 and only one great game every couple of hours... each time I play, it just gets more frustrating... sometimes, nothing seems to work and those great rounds seems to be unduplicable... sigh... maybe its time to incubate again.

After reading all your kind and helpful comments, here are more info on my playstyle, which I am beginning to recognise as the limp:

1. I love brawling... building crazy high alphas and pumping them into my victim's face gives me the high. 95 alpha linebacker, 97 alpha Scorch... etc

2. I am only patient to the point where I run after a terribly injured foe and get focus fired

3. by nature of loving huge alphas, I most often die to overheating either by suicide or focus fire.

4. I play at 50fps so I think my rig is fine.

5. I am from Korea so I play about 100 ping on oceanic and 300 on other servers. This may also be a factor.

6. I tried a new approach, albeit a more boring approach, with a UAC20 5CMLAS Loki and came out highest score and damage for that round peek booing all the way... is this how this game should be played? Love my stable of Splatbackers. T_T

Latest UPDATE:

OK, at last I am getting some decent results piloting a 2x UAC10 + 4 MLAS + ECM Loki. Basically double teaming with a fast assault such as a MAD, covering it with ECM, inproving its survivability while providing scary dakka support firing that usually makes the enemy wanna turn and run from. So far, win ratio is up to 2.25 with KDR of 1.85 on this mech. My best showing mech so far.

Edited by Pr8Dator, 05 April 2017 - 02:49 AM.

#2 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:28 AM

How? How are MWO veterans still stuck at T3 (or even T2) after nearly two years of play? Such a thing defies logic. Health issues I understand, but are you using Vindicator with single PPC every game? Just use Heavy mech with laser boat config, cause it is basically fool proof. Loyalty Hellbringer, Timbie, EBJ etc...

Finally, solo-q helps you to climb tiers easier than group-q, unless you are in a good unit.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 April 2017 - 02:34 AM.

#3 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:36 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 April 2017 - 02:28 AM, said:

How? How are MWO veterans still stuck at T3 (or even T2) after nearly two years of play? Such a thing defies logic. Health issues I understand, but are you using Vindicator with single PPC every game? Just use Heavy mech with laser boat config, cause it is basically fool proof. Loyalty Hellbringer, Timbie, EBJ etc...

Finally, solo-q helps you to climb tiers easier than group-q, unless you are in a good unit.

2 years? No way, I have been with this game since there was only 4 v 4 green catapults and cataphracts and only 2 maps! Figure how long that is! LOL!

I have full stables of every good mech you can name with every meta build and I still suck... I still end the game frustrated each day more than I am entertained...

Edited by Pr8Dator, 04 April 2017 - 02:37 AM.

#4 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:43 AM

stop using mechs with stock armor values. that alone will probably increase your overall performance by a considerable margin.

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:44 AM

Depends on what your priorities are I suppose.

I personally would rather play different chassis and play different loadouts (regardless of how competitive they are). That however means that I am pretty firmly in Tier 2. That works for me though, no one gets anything special for Tier 1. I might as well enjoy the game by playing how I want to play. It makes the game more entertaining to me.

#6 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:47 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 04 April 2017 - 02:43 AM, said:

stop using mechs with stock armor values. that alone will probably increase your overall performance by a considerable margin.

I dun...

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 April 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

I personally would rather play different chassis and play different loadouts (regardless of how competitive they are). That however means that I am pretty firmly in Tier 2. That works for me though, no one gets anything special for Tier 1. I might as well enjoy the game by playing how I want to play. It makes the game more entertaining to me.

I play like that but end up stuck in T3... in fact, at the low end of T3... and strangely, if you look at my stats, MOST of my rounds are losing rounds! Am I so unlucky as to always drop with potatoes or do I jinx whatever team I join? LOL!

Edited by Pr8Dator, 04 April 2017 - 02:48 AM.

#7 Iron Heel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 255 posts
  • LocationMy private booth in the Restaurant At The End Of The Universe

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:52 AM

-Try harder

#8 Pr8Dator

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,306 posts
  • LocationSeoul, Korea

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:54 AM

Thing is, no matter how hard you try as an individual, its ultimately the team and the silly things they do that breaks the game

#9 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:56 AM

View PostPr8Dator, on 04 April 2017 - 02:36 AM, said:

2 years? No way, I have been with this game since there was only 4 v 4 green catapults and cataphracts and only 2 maps! Figure how long that is! LOL!

I have full stables of every good mech you can name with every meta build and I still suck... I still end the game frustrated each day more than I am entertained...

By 2 years I mean the time after PSR system implementation. Since you still can't perform even using meta mechs, I believe you need to start learning from the basics by joining a good unit with good drop commander.

View PostPr8Dator, on 04 April 2017 - 02:54 AM, said:

Thing is, no matter how hard you try as an individual, its ultimately the team and the silly things they do that breaks the game

I see your issue. You haven't been playing at all in the past months, aside from Season 9 and Season 10, and a bit of Season 1. You simply lack practice. It is less of a team issue, and more of a git gud issue.
Your average matchscore in the last two seasons is mere 167. The contribution is simply not there.

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 April 2017 - 02:44 AM, said:

PSR has upwards bias and the upper tiers are currently diluted by lesser skilled players. It is comparatively easy to get to T1, even using LRM Adder.

Edited by El Bandito, 04 April 2017 - 03:17 AM.

#10 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:05 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 04 April 2017 - 02:56 AM, said:

PSR has upwards bias and the upper tier is currently diluted by lesser skilled players. It is comparatively easy to get to T1, even using LRM Adder.

Thanks for the idea ;)

#11 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:10 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 04 April 2017 - 03:05 AM, said:

Thanks for the idea Posted Image

No problem. I use 3xCLRM10 Adder. It is very effective on certain maps than others. My average match score with it is easily double that of OP.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by El Bandito, 04 April 2017 - 03:14 AM.

#12 Jehofi

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 98 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:18 AM

And here you are mistaken, your team can influence your performance but it is not a large margin. Also PSR has an upward bias and most importantly you are the only constant in your games and thus have the highest impact on your PSR.

Edited by Jehofi, 04 April 2017 - 03:18 AM.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,711 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:28 AM

The OP has gone months without playing, at least in the Q-GP with an avg match scores of 160ish, and iirc match score is comprised primarily of damage dealt.

What are your mechs and loadouts? At the end of the game, when compared to others on your side, how does your score match up with the others? Set goals for each game, to deal x-amount of damage.

Oh, and from another thread, dont skimp on the head armor... :)

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:38 AM

Looking at your stats (just the recent season 10, I didn't do a break down of your history or anything) it would appear that the team is not the problem. So, to be as constructive as possible, tell us about your play style and what you play.

Your average damage per match is awfully suggestive that you are either dying really quick because of a lack of patience, rambo-ing, etc. Perhaps you are only playing lights or mechs with low damage output, etc.? I am guilty of all of the above, and thus know that it is my poor decisions (plus booze, lots, and lots of booze) that account for my terribadness at this game, but all of those aspects are on me, not the poor teams who put up with me.

So tell us how you play, what you play, the sorts of builds you go with, etc. Then maybe we (or more preferably people who are good at the game) can offer you constructive ideas on how to get better and be a better team player as well.

#15 Paigan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,789 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:44 AM

I also found that little things like setting your mouse sensitivity pretty LOW during combat (all hail the dps-change special mouse button) helps incredibly with aiming.

Or locking one's arms (FFS!) if you want to aim properly with torso weapons (especially if you have arm and torso weapons in the same group). It's like 9 out of 10 people I spectate don't know the basics of this game...

#16 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:10 AM

Give us a video of your play, perhaps we can provide tips.

#17 Ultimax

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,979 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:37 AM

Please post:

2 example builds you frequently play
Your in game graphics settings
Mouse settings
CPU, GPU & typical FPS in matches

#18 Archer Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 218 posts
  • LocationFoCo

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:55 AM

I feel your pain, I just started playing again and it is tough. I play all PUG games and some the team wins and I feel like an unstoppable machine. But there then are game after game where the team folds and I have no chance. Perhaps, that is the same type of experience you are having.

This game is harsh for a few reasons:
1. long load times, short game
2. one life
3. outcome of the game (and your effectiveness) is largely based on the random teams on a random map with a mech that might not be suited to the job

I play Battlefield 4 (screw BF1's heros and grenade spam) and I play the same way (on the ground, in the fight). But my K/D and frankly my overall enjoyment is higher. My average game is a K/D of 2, but I have great games where I have a K/D of 10 to 20. While my team might lose, my ability to good isn't directly tied to them. When I make a mistake there is only a short delay to learn from it or change tactics.

In short, yes part of it is you, but a large part is the game mechanics. In PUG games there are minimal tactics "make loose firing line, and freak out". I am sure you like the game for the same reasons I do, building mechs and testing them out. You don't sound like a "try hard" where you only use meta builds. It really is a shame there isn't even a basic single player mode. Same maps, but give you a mission and your drop deck.

Anyways friend, good luck :)

#19 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:58 AM

There's a ton of reasons for getting stuck in T3, like I am.

I did fine in T4 and came in at about top 25% of players, but since being pused into T3 my kdr and wlr have dropped - still playing the same IS mechs and using the same techniques (and yes I do know how to torso twist thank you) with the same reflexes (poor). It' simply much harder for some players to get ahead in T3.

The fact is that IS mechs have fallen behind this year, that I'm facing more accurate players, and, I suspect, a higher percentage of clan mechs compared to lower tiers.

p.s. Yes to single player mode! That's the main reason why Armored Warfare is so good!

Edited by Dogstar, 04 April 2017 - 06:00 AM.

#20 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 04 April 2017 - 06:04 AM

Are you running at like 30FPS or less? I can certainly understand not doing well if you can't keep a decent framerate up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users