Help With Mad-Iic

11 replies to this topic

#1 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

So I caved and bought a Marauder IIC now that they're available for c-bills. But so far, I've had the most rotten luck with them and I'm not sure if it's me or the build, which looks a little like MAD-IIC

Suggestions?

#2 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

That build is pretty weak. You'll want to use a Clan XL engine.

MAD-IIC
MAD-IIC

Edited by Roughneck45, 07 April 2017 - 06:49 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:45 AM

if you can afford it definately go for an XL engine, the Clan XL can survive loosing one side torso and you are not going to do much with just 2 lasers so you may as well go for it, the XL400 weighs slightly less than your standard 340, so you could do that, gain a heatsink and about 13kph, or the 350 and 275 would give you significantly more weapon space, as well as extra in engine heatsink slots allowing you to potentialy take bigger guns.

#4 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:41 AM

No conversation about the Marauder IIC is complete without mentioning the 2xLB20x, 4xSRM4s Scortch.

#5 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

XL engines are a must for pretty much all clan battlemechs. If you can afford one it seriously increases your damage.

If you can't at the Moment just remember that any IS Standard engine also works in clan battlemechs until you can afford a clan XL one. You need more offensive power, so either use XL or downgrade the standard engine.

Roughneck45 posted the most common builds using XL for MAD-IIC.
The LPL/ERML has more range thanks to the LPLs. The MPL one more dps while still reaching out to an ok range.

#6 Jep Jorgensson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 556 posts
  • LocationWest Chicago, IL

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:51 AM

3xERPPC's, 6xERSL, 370XL, AMS, Mk1 TC, max armor across the board, and as many heat sinks as you can put on it. You will be amazed at your results once you get used to it. I once got seven kills with this exact build in a pub match.

#7 Nava LaCrosse

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSomewhere that makes Terra Therma appealing

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:18 AM

Here's one of the builds I favor for this variant.

XL 340 engine, (69 kph with Speed Tweak). 3x LPL, and 4x MPL. MK IV TC, and 15 (25) DHS. To match these numbers, you do need to tweak armor a bit. The magic number is 480.

I suppose that turns it into a "super heavy", least as armor is concerned. However, given the heat efficiency, and sheer destructive power of it's easily manageable alpha strike - You should have little trouble crippling mechs, or outright killing them with back shots.

On hotter maps, simply rotate firing groups, 3x LPL followed by the 4x MPL. (assuming target is in range, even modded they don't have the greatest reach)

#8 Alreadythere

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:52 AM

3 clan LPLs should most be fired in two groups most of the time as you already get ghost heat past two cLPLs.

#9 Nava LaCrosse

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSomewhere that makes Terra Therma appealing

Posted 07 April 2017 - 12:57 PM

I won't deny that it can heat up, firing all three at once. You can however do it twice in a row, fast as cool down allows, even on Terra Therma.

I'm not suggesting this as end all be all meta. It's not, it's too toasty, and requires too much face time in general. The point of it is more to outright kill soft targets, or to cripple fresh ones. So long as you mind your heat, keep calm, and pick your shots/targets. - You'll be an absolute monster to face at ~380m, and still scary at ~700 because of the LPL.

#10 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 April 2017 - 01:31 PM

Had my best games with MAD IIC with this config.
This config has its merrits too but is to be used carefully.

#11 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for the hints. I don't know if I can afford to go XL yet, since I have to also afford it on the 3x UAC5 build that I'm planning on another variant. In the mean time, I forgot that IS standard engines fit, so downsizing it might have to be the go for now

#12 Roughneck45

• The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:50 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 07 April 2017 - 08:47 PM, said:

Thanks for the hints. I don't know if I can afford to go XL yet, since I have to also afford it on the 3x UAC5 build that I'm planning on another variant. In the mean time, I forgot that IS standard engines fit, so downsizing it might have to be the go for now

Buy the engine for your favorite build of the 3 variants, then make 3 builds using that engine so you can swap it around.

Perfectly acceptable to lose a pulse laser or heatsink for an engine swap if c-bills are tight.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users