20 replies to this topic

#1 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:44 PM

I hate and love it so much.

My inner lust for chaos and cheap lolz makes me gravitate towards it. 160+ KPH with MASC, 1 LPL and 2 MPL, 1 JJ. That kind of speed on a 45 tonner is overwhelming to me, with MASC being further extended by gliding with the jumpjets to conserve speed while the MASC recharges. Sometimes I fly straight over cliffs or run into walls if I'm not constantly paying attention. Light 'mechs sometimes have difficulties fighting me as the MASC actually makes me faster and more agile than most light 'mechs for a period of time. Waiting for them to readjust their movement when I slide past them allows me to get a good pulse laser burn. In addition, like most 'mechs with MASC, can toggle their MASC to throw off the aim of an enemy, probably the best use of the equipment in my opinion

Starting to sound like anime mecha heresy, but I'll make an exception. It's actually pretty fun.

I despise it because it's kind of under-gunned and doesn't have the hardpoints to slap on enough SPL that makes many fast 'mechs relevant to begin with. The firepower isn't terrible, especially when adopting light 'mech strategies, but it still isn't good in any sense. It is absolutely worthless at fighting heavier enemies that hold their ground. Moving targets often present a good opportunity at juking and backstabbing, as they tend to make a more concentrated approach at attacking you rather than waiting for you, slowing their initial reaction time to unexpected maneuvers. More often than not, the enemies have a tendency to wait for you, as if it wasn't immediately obvious to them that they couldn't give chase.

Overall, it's a bad 'mech that requires an idiot like me to turn it into a warp drive on legs. It works sometimes, it fails miserably others, but it's still hilariously entertaining.

In case my non-ideal build rustled your jimmies, you could make it go 150 something with MASC and 2 LPL. It's a lot easier to play that way and is still rather fast. There, I spared you a reply.

What's your experience with this variant?

Edited by MadHornet, 07 April 2017 - 07:45 PM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:04 PM

Given the relative profile, weapons, speed and other capabilities, I found I would rather play a Spider 5K than the 3S.
To each his own. But in answer to your question I found it to be lacking. Sold it shortly after purchase though I admit I may lack the skill to effectively use the MASC. Even accounting for that though, I just do way better in a Spider or even a Panther than I ever did in the 3S. Honestly, I found all of the PHs uninspiring, and I only kept the 1B and 2 for the ECM, and the 1K because I had a couple of amazing (lucky) matches in it. But the 3S just never clicked along with the rest of the PHXs (including the heroes).

#3 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:11 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 07 April 2017 - 08:04 PM, said:

Given the relative profile, weapons, speed and other capabilities, I found I would rather play a Spider 5K than the 3S.
To each his own. But in answer to your question I found it to be lacking. Sold it shortly after purchase though I admit I may lack the skill to effectively use the MASC. Even accounting for that though, I just do way better in a Spider or even a Panther than I ever did in the 3S. Honestly, I found all of the PHs uninspiring, and I only kept the 1B and 2 for the ECM, and the 1K because I had a couple of amazing (lucky) matches in it. But the 3S just never clicked along with the rest of the PHXs (including the heroes).

Well Bud, if you need a build to try on the PXH-1, give this one a try.
Wastelander

Its actually better than you'd think, especially since no one expects an LB10X-toting medium, let alone one with armor and being capable of a decent speed.

#4 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:27 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 07 April 2017 - 08:11 PM, said:

Wastelander

Its actually better than you'd think, especially since no one expects an LB10X-toting medium, let alone one with armor and being capable of a decent speed.

CN9-D does it better. Full armor (with exception of shield arm) with fast firing SRM's and LB-10X.

#5 Requiemking

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:29 PM

View PostMadHornet, on 07 April 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

CN9-D does it better. Full armor (with exception of shield arm) with fast firing SRM's and LB-10X.

Yes, but at least you have the element of surprise to some extent. I find that the Centy gets focused out way before other Mediums, mainly because it is one of the best Medium brawlers in game. Meanwhile, the PXH goes largely unnoticed.

#6 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:39 PM

View PostRequiemking, on 07 April 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

Yes, but at least you have the element of surprise to some extent. I find that the Centy gets focused out way before other Mediums, mainly because it is one of the best Medium brawlers in game. Meanwhile, the PXH goes largely unnoticed.

What 'mech I play has made no difference in how often I get focused down. I've been in a Commando and assault 'mechs shoot me instead of our assault 'mechs more times than what seems logical. This game focuses too much on statistics and numbers and suggests to people that they should make the greediest choices to make those numbers change. It's almost impossible to rely on being ignored when people actively search for people who think that just to get more damage/kills.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,932 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:50 PM

Wastelander

I saw a build proposal for this (or something similar) by you or someone else right after the Phoenix Hawks dropped, and my thought then was that it seemed awfully similar to my Black Jack with AC20 and 3ML and if I wanted I could always drop down to an AC10 or even an LBX on that mech if for some reason I wanted to. Maybe now that the PHXs have the extra arm armor I might consider it, but alas, that ship has sailed and I am in no hurry to save up cbills to try it again.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 April 2017 - 09:32 PM

More my idea of stupid fun than the pixie TBH
ASN-101
Emphasis on the stupid.... And yet... Yes, FUN!!!!!!

#9 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 08:38 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 April 2017 - 09:32 PM, said:

More my idea of stupid fun than the pixie TBH
ASN-101
Emphasis on the stupid.... And yet... Yes, FUN!!!!!!

The thing is, if you're at least above 20 firepower and can aim spot on, you might as well be a really fast AC/20, it just takes a lot more practice to use it.

#10 Jay Leon Hart

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 4,669 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:01 AM

My preferred loadout for the 3S is... bad

Like, really bad

#11 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:02 AM

View PostRequiemking, on 07 April 2017 - 08:29 PM, said:

Centy gets focused out early because it is, more often than not, an easy kill.

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 09:44 AM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 April 2017 - 09:02 AM, said:

Centy gets focused out early because it is, more often than not, an easy kill.

The price one pays with mechs that can't hide and poke well.

#13 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:13 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 April 2017 - 09:44 AM, said:

The price one pays with mechs that can't hide and poke well.

Some people just don't know how to Centurion, tho'. Most either bumrush the firing line or they try to trade a single 'Mech whose face they should actually be getting in.

#14 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,160 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:16 AM

I took second on the leaderboard with this. The guy who beat me (by 2 points updating after time expired. Darn me for picking my kid up from school! ;)) ran this.

#15 Chaotic_Harmony

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 55 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Wastelander

Fixed it for you.No need for that much ammo with a single LB-10X and a larger engine size really helps on a PXH, as do jump jets.

As for the 3S, I usually run with this. Yes, it's very hot, but it's meant to be a hit-and-run mech, or at least how I roll with it.

#16 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 08 April 2017 - 12:27 PM

Wastelander

If you are going to do a bigger ballistic you may as well strap a UAC/5 on there and some JJs and really lay down some fire rather than having to get so close.

#17 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 03:44 PM

View PostYeonne Greene, on 08 April 2017 - 10:13 AM, said:

Some people just don't know how to Centurion, tho'. Most either bumrush the firing line or they try to trade a single 'Mech whose face they should actually be getting in.

Yup. Centurion, is a true skirmisher. Honestly it should never be hanging around one spot, or one opponent very long, but traveling all over the line adding a blast or two where needed, then moving on.

But that is the reason so many do poor in Mediums and Lights. Too hung up on the epeen and stat padding , need that kill. Good skirmisher seldom gets the glory, but his impact is felt across the whole unit.

#18 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 08:43 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 08 April 2017 - 03:44 PM, said:

Yup. Centurion, is a true skirmisher. Honestly it should never be hanging around one spot, or one opponent very long, but traveling all over the line adding a blast or two where needed, then moving on.

But that is the reason so many do poor in Mediums and Lights. Too hung up on the epeen and stat padding , need that kill. Good skirmisher seldom gets the glory, but his impact is felt across the whole unit.

I always found "skirmisher" to be a curious title for the Centurion, as most of its stock variants do no more than a jog pace at a 64.8 kph. It was really meant to lead a march upon enemy territory, as it was often coupled with Archers and Trebuchets in the back. I'm guessing you mean in terms of MWO?

Edited by MadHornet, 09 April 2017 - 08:45 AM.

#19 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

View PostMadHornet, on 09 April 2017 - 08:43 AM, said:

I always found "skirmisher" to be a curious title for the Centurion, as most of its stock variants do no more than a jog pace at a 64.8 kph. It was really meant to lead a march upon enemy territory, as it was often coupled with Archers and Trebuchets in the back. I'm guessing you mean in terms of MWO?

Uh, yeah? This is an MWO discussion. In TT, the Centurion was a Trooper, at least until the D model of the Clan Invasion era. But why would I be discussing its TT roles here when the rest of the discussion is on MWO?

#20 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 10:55 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 09 April 2017 - 09:37 AM, said:

Uh, yeah? This is an MWO discussion. In TT, the Centurion was a Trooper, at least until the D model of the Clan Invasion era. But why would I be discussing its TT roles here when the rest of the discussion is on MWO?

I don't know, it just sounds weird calling the Centurion a skirmisher when it originally wasn't supposed to be, that's all.

Edited by MadHornet, 09 April 2017 - 10:55 AM.

8 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 8 guests, 0 anonymous users