Help Me

8 replies to this topic

#1 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:12 PM

Hello: I want to take advantage of the Easter sale to pick up a Night Gyr. I've heard it is a great mech. I am wondering if there are variants that are considered clearly better or worse than the others. Some differences are obvious like the number of ballistic or energy hardpoints, but I am wondering if there are more subtle issues that are important. Since the mastery system seems to be going away I'm only interested in getting one of them. Perhaps someone who has exeprience with the chassis say which variants have played best? Thanks for any help.

#2 Sixpack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 244 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:52 PM

The Night Gyr is a omni mech. That means you can swap out non center torso parts of the mechs for others, thus allowing you access to all of the hardpoints in these omnipods.

That means your best bet is to get a version that has weapon or equipment options in the center torso, seeing as the Night Gyr has no ECM variant we would only look for weapon options.

So for maximum customizability you would want to go for the Night Gyr D.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne..._heavy_nightgyr

just select one night gyr variant and once it is loaded in you can see that you can swap out arms, torsos, legs and the head on the variant if you click on the description of that part, like so:
Posted Image

If you want you can also swap around and play in the mechlab via the shop option in game.

Just select the night gyr you want and check it out in the mechlab, then just equip it however you want with omnipods/weapons/equipment to see what is possible and what is not.

Edited by Sixpack, 14 April 2017 - 01:55 PM.

#3 Serpentine Shel Serpentine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 187 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thanks very much for the explanation!

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 04:47 PM

For Omnimechs, the only time the variant (Config) is important is when the CT has a hardpoint or special trait.

For example sometimes a CT might have slightly better acceleration/breaking or turning speeds... while others might have hardpoints.

Since you can't change the CT, that is about the only important thing to look for.

Night Gyr has no such thing as far as I know.

#5 Sixpack

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 244 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

View PostDeloresAbernathy, on 14 April 2017 - 03:05 PM, said:

Thanks very much for the explanation!

Hm, was kind of late at night and I made an important mistake though.

When I said you can swap out all the omnipods I need to make a clarification:

Hero variant omnipods are locked to the hero mech, so you can only unlock them by buying the hero mech and can only ever have as many of those pods as you buy hero mechs (not exactly a good investment). You can take the omnipods off of the hero mech and put them on other mechs of the same class that way.

So if you want to use omnipods from the Jade Kite Night Gyr you would need to buy the Jade Kite. But otherwise you have access to all non hero omnipods and usually they are perfectly fine.

Furthermore I would like to point out that omnimechs have locked things like Jumpjets, heatsinks, engines and position of Ferro Fibrous and Endo Steel which will limit the available hardpoints on each omnimechs section. In this case you can see the Fixed Structure and Amour slots on the Nightgyr, they are not movable.

Edited by Sixpack, 15 April 2017 - 05:49 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 05:49 AM

Discovered a Jade Kite last night and couldn't see it (just the name) and I was wondering "What the **** is THAT!?"

Then I walked behind it with my 75 ton Marauder and it's like "Kinda looks like a Night Gyr."
And then he turned around, so I jumped over him, whipped around while he was kinda confused and I shot him with a triple large pulse + two ML combo.
He be dead.

Was kinda hoping it was a new mech I hadn't heard of before.

Be sure to give yourself decent back armor. Unlike chicken walkers, you can't get away with just 2 to 8 armor on the rear.

#7 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,148 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:31 AM

The D is the best because of the CT energy hard point.

#8 Nostalgic Supremacy

Rookie

• Shredder
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:08 PM

View PostTercieI, on 16 April 2017 - 11:31 AM, said:

The D is the best because of the CT energy hard point.

This. Surprised no one has mentioned it.
They are all the same, since you can swap omnipods. But the D is the only variant able to have a laser in the center torso.

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 April 2017 - 01:13 PM

View PostNostalgic Supremacy, on 16 April 2017 - 01:08 PM, said:

This. Surprised no one has mentioned it.
They are all the same, since you can swap omnipods. But the D is the only variant able to have a laser in the center torso.

Sixpack did mention it in the 3rd paragraph of the first reply.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users