- - - - -

How Hard Is It Really ? (Ranttastic And New Player Advice Needed Badly)

30 replies to this topic

#21 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 06:34 PM

Check the end of game score board and try to remember the names of pilots that do consistently well.
Spectate those guys when they are on your team and you die first.
Basically how I learnt.

#22 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 17 April 2017 - 07:46 PM

Start in a medium or heavy instead.

Avoid using lrms and all weapons with Max ranges shorter than clan streaks (just under 400m). Short range weapons often leave you useless for a while as your team dies.

Focuss on getting good at mid range first. These weapons can often reach a little to not be entirely useless and can perform up close. Large pulse lasers and medium lasers, Ac5s and 10s and ultra cannons both clan and is tech work well.

#23 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 27 April 2017 - 09:57 AM

I won't offer any specific hints as there are already plenty of good ones here but I will say that your gaming experience will probably improve as your awareness of what's going on around you does. I've only been playing a short time and at first I felt like I could only focus on a 100m bubble around my mech. I've played about 300 matches now and the bubble has expanded to, say, oh 500m-600m. I'm still at the bottom of Tier 5 but I'm enjoying the game a lot more, and every now and then I have a good match with 2-3 kills and 6 or more assists.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#24 Natred

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 716 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWest Texas

Posted 27 April 2017 - 10:56 AM

First thing to do is optimize your buttons, most buttons around the zxc and f should be changed to more usefull things. 2nd lower your mouse sensitivity. 3rd change your graphics settings to low high low low low high low i think.

4th learn abour the game which is important and let elaborate. First off you want to know your strengths. Ie what your mech/loadout is designed for. If your unsure about this use your imagination, see what others are using experiment what works for you. Usually certain mechs are much better at doing things then others in some catagories.

Ok so if you read this your wondering.. then whats the point? Well the point of this is Mechwarrior is like rock paper scissors. You just need to figure out how you want to fit into that role and then maximize it. If your fast and your weapons have low cool downs put yourself if that element in battle. If your long range fire support help your team by rotating with them shooting down uavs and staying aware of where the enemy is in relation to you.

Edited by Natred, 27 April 2017 - 10:57 AM.

#25 the sixth tier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 11:04 AM

sometimes it works for me to sneak up behind the enemy team, try to get a kill in their backs, then run away as soon as they start turning around. if you can distract a few people like that and your team takes advantage of it, well you just might win the game.

if it all goes well and people are starting to brawl, you can do the same thing on an individual basis. maybe you can distract someone who's brawling 1v1 and help your team mate come out ahead (or get team killed if they can't aim).

#26 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 27 April 2017 - 12:47 PM

I wish it wasn't true, but it is. This game is brutal on beginners, there's just so much to learn and 90% of it isn't taught anywhere in the game, tutorials, or the UI. This is one of those games I have about a 1% chance of hooking a new player on. Higher than that only if they already know a bit about Battletech/Mechwarrior so I'm not starting from scratch.

The menus are complicated, it's not super obvious how to buy your first mech if you just download the game and want to start playing, building a mech well is often expensive and counterintuitive, then you have skills, then you have modules, then you have the new PTS skill tree/module situation, add in ghost heat and other game mechanics that veteran players know about but new ones certainly don't ...

Some times it feels like playing a fan-made game with excellent artists on staff, rather than a polished grade A title with proper documentation, balancing, playtesting, etc. Even thought the beta tags have been removed from everything, it still feels like we're in a perpetual beta phase since the overall direction always changes and there's still some half-baked concepts embedded in the game (assault mode which was totally stripped down to the point of uselessness and recently replaced by Incursion, but yet it still remains active in the game; the placeholder "convergence" skill in the current skill tree; etc.).

I expect nothing short of chaos over the summer as they implement the new 3067 era tech. Everything will change, and I don't have much expectation that the first month will go smoothly. I want the new mechs and the new shiny toys to play with, but game balance will be hugely upset by the new skill tree and then again by the new tech, so it'll be a rough summer sorting it out.

if you enjoy Mechwarrior, keep playing the game. Just know that it's not something that can easily be played casually, without a lot of time/energy/research into everything. The game doesn't spoon-feed you anything you need to know in order to play.

#27 the sixth tier

• PipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 50 posts

Posted 29 April 2017 - 05:01 PM

im still learning this op supermunch dual laser spider i'm working on, but one other thing i noticed from playing without ecm is, if i get in cover and the enemies all disappear from the map, trying to play squirrel gets me toasted in seconds. best-case seems to be if a couple big ones chase while one team or the other is pushing.

seems like the wide-open maps people like so much aren't as good for bugs, and if the team's not wanting to get shot at i'm better off checking my own team's flanks or staying hidden somewhere in theirs until everyone's mentally prepared to do battle. even if half of the enemy team is distracted, chances are nobody will take advantage of my sacrifice. the more chaos, the better things seem to work out.

* for example like we were just doing skirmish on hpg manifold, and we were down 5 kills to 8. both teams were humping the ramps and fighting for the top, so i snuck around and rear-cored a battlemaster. i shot the clam marauder next to him and he turned around, so i went and took a few shots at the ones on the other ramp, and both of them turned around. i went underneath and found a wounded raven, so i finished him off and next thing you know we're up a kill and somehow won. maybe a coincidence but i like to feel good after all the times i got my leg blown off the first time i spotted an enemy. *

Edited by the sixth tier, 29 April 2017 - 06:25 PM.

#28 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 08:21 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't pilot a Light until you've become proficient with Mediums and Heavies. Lights and Assaults are very difficult for the inexperienced, Lights because they're so fragile, and Assaults because they're so immobile. I'm years into the game, a pretty decent player, but I'm still not a very good Light pilot.

Also, yeah, watch videos and spectate.

#29 Humpday

• The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 01:05 PM

- Stay with med chassis. Shadowhawk(med) or heavy Warhammer(heavy) for IS. Probably ECM hellbringer(heavy) and maybe the stormcrow(med) for the clan side of things. If you're dead set on a light, take the Arctic Cheetah out with ECM. Its a tank. Mobility is life.

- Youtube moltenmetals games.

- Stay away from far left and right flanks, always keep an eye on your minimap, and place yourself, not forward, not to the rear, not to the far left or right...put yourself right in the mix of everyone, blend in to survive....and simply shoot what your team shoots.

- Use your team as meat shields, then they poke, swing wide, snap a shot off, just one, not two, just one, and get back into cover in a hurry. Get this down, and you'll soon learn how to "poke" on your own. And don't' poke in the same place all the time. Do NOT stand on top of them, when they go to get back in cover, you'll block them and likely get them killed.

- Try your best to not fire at random targets, always hit "R" till its a reflex. R lets you know where the mech is weak. Get good at ripping off those weak points, especially on assaults, tear that shoulder off and it can't very will shoot back at you

Best teacher is experience...look up my season 8-11 seasons...you'll see the state of improvement improved with time just by playing. My first season in Feb(season 8) i put in 876 games and I was still only at a ~1 w/l k/d ratio. Expect to suck really bad for the first 200-500 games I think. Every month after I improved significantly, just by playing.

Lastly, read this: https://mwomercs.com...ics-101-comics/
Watch molten metal play: https://www.youtube....pFQjKhsoscKoodg

#30 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:04 PM

use a mic

Edited by Burnin2nd, 01 May 2017 - 03:10 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users