40 replies to this topic

#1 NocturnalBeast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 12 April 2017 - 04:45 PM

I would like to see PGI add bonus match rewards for Assault Mechs based on the amount of damage received before being destroyed. This would encourage Assault pilots to actually....... dramatic pause .... ASSAULT!

#2 Shifty McSwift

• 2,889 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:58 AM

Should just be some tanking payoffs (score and maybe cash) in general, it would encourage sharing damage/armor and assaults would just get paid off more naturally due to their higher armor SP rates.

#3 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:02 AM

View PostShifty McSwift, on 14 April 2017 - 01:58 AM, said:

Should just be some tanking payoffs (score and maybe cash) in general, it would encourage sharing damage/armor and assaults would just get paid off more naturally due to their higher armor SP rates.

Yes, I guess this would work and be fair, since you can get "scouting" bonuses in an Assault Mech.

#4 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 01:46 PM

There is no reason this should only be for assaults sharing armor is needed of every member. I mean if you are only using your assaults to tank you're going to get slaughtered

Edited by Cichol Balor, 14 April 2017 - 01:47 PM.

#5 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 03:42 PM

View PostCichol Balor, on 14 April 2017 - 01:46 PM, said:

There is no reason this should only be for assaults sharing armor is needed of every member. I mean if you are only using your assaults to tank you're going to get slaughtered

The intended role of most Assault mechs in BattleTech is to assault, not hide behind cover and snipe or LRM .

#6 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 09:49 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 14 April 2017 - 03:42 PM, said:

The intended role of most Assault mechs in BattleTech is to assault, not hide behind cover and snipe or LRM .

... what does that have to do with what I just said

#7 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:41 PM

I would like to see PGI add bonus match rewards for Assault Mechs based on the amount of damage received before being destroyed. This would encourage Assault pilots to actually....... dramatic pause .... ASSAULT!

So basically you wanna reward people for suiciding? thats not gonna work.

If a tanking bonus is added you should only be eligible for it if you survive the match.

That way you get rewarded for surviving as long as possible. Rather than getting rewarded for dying as quickly as possible.

Call it a survivor bonus. If you survive a match, you get bonus match score/cbills for surviving based on how much damage you suffered, divided by the tonnage of your mech, times whatever score multiplier.

Reward people for taking damage and living. Not for dying.

Edited by Khobai, 14 April 2017 - 11:48 PM.

#8 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 12:34 PM

View PostKhobai, on 14 April 2017 - 11:41 PM, said:

So basically you wanna reward people for suiciding? thats not gonna work.

If a tanking bonus is added you should only be eligible for it if you survive the match.

That way you get rewarded for surviving as long as possible. Rather than getting rewarded for dying as quickly as possible.

Call it a survivor bonus. If you survive a match, you get bonus match score/cbills for surviving based on how much damage you suffered, divided by the tonnage of your mech, times whatever score multiplier.

Reward people for taking damage and living. Not for dying.

The problem is that in many QP games, it takes an assault Mech running forward and soaking damage until it dies to give the team enough of an advantage to win, or to even give them the motivation to do something decisive.

#9 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 02:56 PM

The problem is that in many QP games, it takes an assault Mech running forward and soaking damage until it dies to give the team enough of an advantage to win, or to even give them the motivation to do something decisive.

yes but a potato should not be rewarded for suiciding his 100 ton assault.

the only way I can see a tanking bonus not being abused is with the stipulation that you survive the match

#10 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 06:08 PM

View PostKhobai, on 15 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

the only way I can see a tanking bonus not being abused is with the stipulation that you survive the match

Fair enough. But watch the potato comments, more often than not, when I push straight into the enemy team with my Atlas in a quick match, I usually get at least on kill and I manage to hold their attention long enough for the rest of my team to move in and win the game. This is a team game, and the main objective is for the team to win is it not? Or do only stats matter?

#11 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 09:09 PM

i wasnt calling you a potato, i just meant potatos in general

#12 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:43 AM

Sounds good but PGI should rework Assaults at least by making them more durable than Heavies.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:36 AM

View PostKhobai, on 15 April 2017 - 02:56 PM, said:

How much do you think a tanking bonus is gonna get?

It's not worth suiciding over a 2,500 cbill bonus. Even if it is 6,500 cbills, that isn't enough to suicide over. But if I got that while being pelted it'd be a nice consolation prize.

Not when surviving and winning tends to win upwards of 300,000. And even for those who aren't terribly good, suicide for 6,500 when it comes with losing and 25 to 50k isn't worth doing.

This isn't going to get abused.

Now if it is rewarded repeatedly over increments of time... There might be some risk of abuse, but this would also encourage less abuse and more survival because the longer you can live the more you can get.
Then you might see more of these:
Posted Image
Assault mech at 2% health and still alive at the end.

12 (not 2.)

#14 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:18 AM

View PostG4LV4TR0N, on 16 April 2017 - 03:43 AM, said:

Sounds good but PGI should rework Assaults at least by making them more durable than Heavies.

True, in the current game, lights are buffed to rediculous levels of durability (yes a bad pilot will still die horribly in one), mediums and heavies seem to be in a good spot, but Assaults do not feel like the nearly indestructible juggernauts that they are in TT and BT lore.

Edited by Ed Steele, 16 April 2017 - 09:18 AM.

#15 G4LV4TR0N

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

Additionally taken damage should be displayed at end screen, just like dealt damage.

#16 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 11:35 AM

How much do you think a tanking bonus is gonna get?

you completely missed the point.

its not about how much the bonus is worth

its about not rewarding people for the wrong things. you dont reward people for getting killed.

#17 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 April 2017 - 12:55 PM

Tanking in Battletech is a myth. This is not WOW. There are no buffs n heals. Therefore no tanking.

Edited by HammerMaster, 16 April 2017 - 12:57 PM.

#18 Cichol Balor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 354 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:37 PM

This doesn't really reward suicidal pilots like some people seem to think. Just give a score for points of damage taken just like damage given. If you run in and get cored out your not going to get much. If you twist and properly spread damage you are going to soak up alot. And any damage you take is damage the rest of your team doesn't. That said the caviout of surviving the match is needles

#19 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 04:42 PM

View PostCichol Balor, on 16 April 2017 - 04:37 PM, said:

This doesn't really reward suicidal pilots like some people seem to think. Just give a score for points of damage taken just like damage given. If you run in and get cored out your not going to get much. If you twist and properly spread damage you are going to soak up alot. And any damage you take is damage the rest of your team doesn't. That said the caviout of surviving the match is needles

Exactly, you would be rewarded for "spreading" damage effectively and lasting as long as you can, which takes as much, or more skill than peeking and poking.

View PostHammerMaster, on 16 April 2017 - 12:55 PM, said:

Tanking in Battletech is a myth. This is not WOW. There are no buffs n heals. Therefore no tanking.

"Tanking" is forcing the enemy to focus on you so that your team can push, or get into better firing positions, or to escape.

Edited by Ed Steele, 16 April 2017 - 04:42 PM.

#20 Khobai

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 06:45 PM

And any damage you take is damage the rest of your team doesn't.

Thats not true at all. You may be the only target the enemy can shoot at. They may not be able to shoot at anyone but you. So youre not necessarily saving other teammates from being damaged. You could just be a dumb potato thats out in the open getting shot at when you should be behind cover. Why should you get a reward for that? The game has enough potato handouts as is.

Im all for a tanking bonus if its actually rewarding people for the RIGHT REASON.

But getting rewarded just for taking damage is absurd. You need to have some kindve stipulation for a tanking bonus so it doesnt just reward everyone who takes damage. It needs to only reward people who take damage in a way thats skillful or actually beneficial to their team.

So how bout instead of survivability being a requirement, have the requirement be that you need to suffer at least X amount of damage, where X is equal to your CT's max armor+structure (including quirks). That way you could only qualify for the bonus if your mech suffers more damage than its CT's max armor+structure which could only happen if youre spreading damage around with torso twisting. Someone who just stands there and lets their CT get drilled through should not get a tanking bonus. That isnt proper tanking and shouldnt be rewarded.

So for example an Atlas-D with 155 max CT armor and 62 CT structure would have to tank at least 217 damage to qualify for the minimum tanking bonus. And every point of damage beyond 217 would increase that bonus.

That would also make very difficult to get the tanking bonus with an ISXL engine. Which makes sense to me since you shouldnt be rewarded for tanking if you have an ISXL engine.

Edited by Khobai, 16 April 2017 - 07:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users